HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:45 PM
dream fast

5-23

Maggie Daley Park

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 7:45 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Jeanne Gang designing shell for Lyric Opera

^ World's biggest sandbox?

-----

Chicago Tribune
Jeanne Gang designing shell for Lyric Opera
by John von Rhein
2:17 p.m. CDT, May 28, 2014

".....The new shell will replace a less expensive, utilitarian stage enclosure Lyric had built for its 50th anniversary gala in 2004 and has been using for concert presentations ever since, Landmesser added....."

http://"http://www.chicagotribune.co...817393.column"

http://"http://www.trbimg.com/img-53...40529-001/600"

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:58 AM

Looks like San Fran isn't giving up the "Star Wars" museum without a fight.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4185064.story

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 2:32 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ I'd say SF has bagged it - the site they've offered up has killer views.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 2:58 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
The tribune company is putting up some of its unused space at the freedom center west of the river and north of Chicago Avenue, which is currently vacant, up for lease or sale. That specific parcel is not in the planned manufacturing district which is south of Chicago avenue, so the tribune company hopes it can be rezoned to a developer if they can't find a tenant for lease.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...emplate=mobile
How did that get gerrymandered out of the PMD? Even the parking lot to the east (where the river bends) is part of the PMD but not this building.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but these PMDs are such a joke. They're full of all the wrong loopholes.

Dense residential? Mixed use? Hotels? Something reasonably urban?
Hell no, those erode our industrial base!

Big-box retail? Strip malls? Fast food? Self storage?
Sure, go ahead! They will provide valuable jobs to Chicagoans!

Actually in some respects I think the provision of big-box retail along Clybourn and Elston helped make city living attractive for an older generation that was wedded to their cars and their weekly mega-shopping trips. I dunno if this was a policy goal, but I think it may have done some overall good by swapping out ugly industry for ugly retail. But now that we have it in spades, I think we need to re-evaluate the concept and start opening up this prime riverfront land for development. There are already tons of places for moms in minivans to go shopping, and the city center is not the place for industry in the 21st century.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
^ I'd say SF has bagged it - the site they've offered up has killer views.
I don't like to predict about this since there are so many variables but I have to point out that Lucas has somewhat of a vindictive streak about stuff like this. His battles in Marin county for example...

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:08 PM

^ Amen. He can be a master of plot twists - "Luke, I am your father" (or however the line goes).

After all, he was denied his desired site. Who says he will be thrilled about this substitute. And guess what - I don't see what is so impressive about this new waterfront site, compared to Chicago's waterfront site. The Golden Gate is fantastic but many other parts of the SF bay are not as remarkable.

Also, the fact that all these carpetbagging tech executives (Facebook COO etc.) are signing full-page newspaper ads urging Lucas to build in SF is kind of pathetic - and Andrew Mason is a pandering schmuck for suddenly rooting for SF, presumably hoping to endear him to the tech exec community there, just months after leaving Chicago. Every living past mayor chiming in is pretty lame too, something normally reserved for bigger things like the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if it all became a big turn-off to Lucas.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 2:02 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ Amen. He can be a master of plot twists - "Luke, I am your father" (or however the line goes).

After all, he was denied his desired site. Who says he will be thrilled about this substitute. And guess what - I don't see what is so impressive about this new waterfront site, compared to Chicago's waterfront site. The Golden Gate is fantastic but many other parts of the SF bay are not as remarkable.
I rented bikes from a small bike shop a block from that site and it's not a bad area, although it feels a bit removed from most of the city, and it still feels pretty industrialish to me despite the fact that there is a fair amount of residential there these days. I would say that Chicago's site is equally removed (maybe even somewhat more removed) from the city, but it better meets Lucas' desire to be near "nature" in that it will have an eastward view of sailboats and Northerly Island and the proposed pedestrian connection to Northerly Island will be not far from it. I don't think the Chicago site is as compelling as the site in SF Lucas wanted, but I think it balances pretty well against the pros and cons of the San Francisco site he's now been offered. Another advantage to the Chicago site is that it would have more room to expand relatively easily, if that's at all a consideration.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the site Chicago offered and initially I thought the alternate San Francisco site was better mainly because it's tied into the street grid. But after thinking about it some more, I think Chicago's chances are still decent given that one of Lucas criteria was being near nature. Just being across the street from a former working pier in the SF Bay isn't really being in nature. Chicago's site isn't as nature-ish as the Presidio site, but it's a lot closer to green parkland than the alternate SF site is. Who knows what he'll do, but I don't think we can count Chicago out just yet.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 2:09 PM

Also the site that they are offering is AWFUL! I grew up in the area and the only views you have from under the bridge there are of the port of Oakland. Which is a pretty gross looking port. Lucas obviously wanted that original Presidio location because of the views under the Golden Gate. The views are absolutely spectacular!

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:53 PM

Lucas Museum - Vote for Chicago

I agree regarding the SF proposal. I grew up in Chicago and agree the Museum Campus has become something g special. The Lucas museum would make it even more special and provide the museum with an ideal view of the lake and the expanding Northernly Island. I now live in Marin County, just north of the GG Bridge, and minutes from George's home in San Anselmo. George has done a lot for San Anselmo with a lot of appreciation from the town and neighbors like me..... put utility lines underground, bought lots and landscaped them with redwood trees and donated land for a park with life size bronze staues of Indiana Jones and Yoda as the center piece fountain. He has tried to do more in Marin and SF and has got turned down. Chicago has welcomed him with open arms since day one. George has already donated millions to the U of C lab school arts building and with a lot of appreciation. If George choses Chicago, he will get the appreciation he deserves. My vote is for Chicago that will always be my home town.
Tony

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:03 PM
The City

Wait, Andrew Mason is urging Lucas to build his museum in SF? Wow, what a loser. He fucked it up and that's why he got ousted from Groupon. If he's got sour grapes then that's fine, but you can't blame the city where your idea made you wealthy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:21 PM

My coworker who grew up in the bay area basically says the site SF is offering him is shit and thinks the Chicago site is better.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:49 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

'Ferris Bueller' house sells

Crain's Chicago Business reports that James Speyer's 1953 Highland Park manse - aka the "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" house - has sold (for $1,060,000).

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:06 AM
TL;DR

In case anyone doubts that the boom now includes the whole city and not just rental towers downtown, the City Council saw these proposals submitted yesterday (among others):

-Gonnella redevelopment at Chicago/Morgan, two towers @ 11/12 stories, 363 units/320 parking
-23-story tower at Orleans/Locust, 227 units/152 parking
-6-story midrise at Locust/Sedgwick, 40 units/42 parking (requires demo of St Dominic's Church)
-6-story midrise at Larrabee/Oak, 9 units/9 parking
-7-story midrise at Milwaukee/Ashland (above the Bank of America), 60 units, NO parking proposed
-5-story midrise at Milwaukee/Concord, 36 units/11 parking
-27-story McHugh hotel/data center at Cermak/Michigan, 650 keys

The Cabrini area and the Polish Triangle are on fire right now...

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:21 AM

I've also heard there is another development on the vacant lot at 1510 W Division that will be sizable. Polish Triangle is going to be completely transformed in short order. The development is really popping now.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
In case anyone doubts that the boom now includes the whole city and not just rental towers downtown, the City Council saw these proposals submitted yesterday (among others):

-Gonnella redevelopment at Chicago/Morgan, two towers @ 11/12 stories, 363 units/320 parking
-23-story tower at Orleans/Locust, 227 units/152 parking
-6-story midrise at Locust/Sedgwick, 40 units/42 parking (requires demo of St Dominic's Church)
-6-story midrise at Larrabee/Oak, 9 units/9 parking
-7-story midrise at Milwaukee/Ashland (above the Bank of America), 60 units, NO parking proposed
-5-story midrise at Milwaukee/Concord, 36 units/11 parking
-27-story McHugh hotel/data center at Cermak/Michigan, 650 keys

The Cabrini area and the Polish Triangle are on fire right now...
The Orleans / Locust tower by Fifeld has been reduced in height again? It was suppose to be 30 something stories, than 29, now 23? What a bummer. Is there a reason why they shrunk it? Or were they planning on community resistance that never came and overshot on purpose to seem like nice guys when they reduced the number of units?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
The Orleans / Locust tower by Fifeld has been reduced in height again? It was suppose to be 30 something stories, than 29, now 23? What a bummer. Is there a reason why they shrunk it? Or were they planning on community resistance that never came and overshot on purpose to seem like nice guys when they reduced the number of units?
They are two different buildings. The one you're thinking of is going in the SW corner of Chestnut & Orleans. This Orleans/Locust one must be a new tower as Locust is a street north of Chestnut.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:06 PM
TL;DR

Yes, two separate proposals. The Fifield tower is two blocks south.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:56 PM
Urbane observer

Wow. Who knew that "the whole city" extended as far out as Milwaukee & Ashland?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:58 PM
BANNED

^Another item to throw on your radar- Something is brewing at 840 N Clark, a surface lot. $40 Million project. Walsh is referring to it as "LDS Meetinghouse" but the plans aren't posted yet. This would be directly across the street from the Clark and Chestnut proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development