HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's a man with over a decade worth of violent assaults on his record. I think scumbag is putting it a bit lightly.

We allowed this to slip through the cracks for at least 13 years:
We???

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 2:15 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
We???
Canada's justice system and social safety nets. Anyone who is Canadian is invested in them, and has a responsibility to speak up when they're not working properly. This individual is the reason why speaking up is important. If we don't speak up, if we don't improve the safety net and strengthen the justice system, then we end up with more stories like this.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 2:46 PM

Does anyone have any links to show how many people have been a victim of homicide so far this year for Canada's metros?

In particular I want to know what it is in Vancouver.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 6:05 PM

The most recent StatCan CMA data is 2013, but many police forces release more up to date data on their own. VPD has monthly reports up to April 2015 at http://vancouver.ca/police/organizat...tatistics.html

April 2015 data for Vancouver:

Source http://vancouver.ca/police/Planning/201504D.pdf

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 3:15 PM

My city, Timmins, ON just recently had three homicides. Population 45,000

I'm not sure how many there have been this year in total. Could somebody tell me how many our city would have per year if our homicide rate was average for Canada?

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

I'm not sure how many there have been this year in total. Could somebody tell me how many our city would have per year if our homicide rate was average for Canada?
At three per year, Timmins is at 6.8 per 100,000, or thereabouts. Nationwide, the average rate is 1.5 homicides per 100,000, so Timmins should only have one every couple of years to hit average.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
The most recent StatCan CMA data is 2013, but many police forces release more up to date data on their own. VPD has monthly reports up to April 2015 at http://vancouver.ca/police/organizat...tatistics.html

April 2015 data for Vancouver:

Source http://vancouver.ca/police/Planning/201504D.pdf
I was hoping to get the metro numbers. Vancouver city itself has a low crime rate.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 11:00 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Calgary's police map shows 5 homicides in the past 6 months, 4 in 2015

http://crimemap.calgarypolice.ca/con...aimerPage.aspx

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
At three per year, Timmins is at 6.8 per 100,000, or thereabouts. Nationwide, the average rate is 1.5 homicides per 100,000, so Timmins should only have one every couple of years to hit average.

Thanks so much Drybrain. Timmins does indeed have a high homicide rate as I thought. We seems to have between 2-5 homicides per year. It's interesting because some people here think the rate is low but others point out that statistically on a per capita basis it is quite high. And Timmins has a huge municipal police force considering its size and also has OPP for rural areas and highways.

Last edited by Loco101; Sep 17, 2015 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 1:45 AM
I am a typical

Always a fun discussion when you're comparing homicide in northern cities to southern ones.

"Toronto had 64 murders last year! That's crazy! Everyone is dying!" meanwhile is less than a fifth of the homicide rate up here.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

Timmins has 45,000 people? I can't believe I didn't know this, thought it was about a tenth of that.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 1:05 AM

Meanwhile in Baltimore there have been 39 murders in the month of May alone in a city of 622,000 people,

Canadians, count you blessings!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:56 PM
Community Guy

Sadly last night an Edmonton Police Service member was shot and killed while executing a search warrant. Apparently the guy was a 'freeman' and harassing and bullying a family.

RIP

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 8:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
The Problem with Timmins is its a very low Density Canadian City, its has 45,000 People but spread out across a land area of:
2,979.15 km2 (Thats just over Half the Land of Metro Calgary but with a mere Fraction of Calgary's Population) heck there are Wards in Calgary with bigger populations than all of Timmins..
That Means Timmins is just over 14.5 persons per Square km2 (38/square mile).
Criminals tend to do/ commit more Crimes in Lower Density Area's (Fewer Eye Witnesses, less of a Police Presence, slower response times & an easier getaway also).
Just ask the U.S. Most of their Major Cities are Low Density Suburban Sprawl.
I suspect that this is another reason Thunder Bay has a High Violent Crime Rate too, there are no people for miles on End, you kill someone dump the body in the river & nobody knows for weeks because the areas are rarely explored, the Larger the Population in general (as well as density) the lower the Crime Severity, I consider Violent Crime like, Homicide, Armed Robbery, Rape, Aggravated Assault, Automobile Theft, Home Invasions, as High on the Crime Severity Index.
Criminals are also more likely to commit crimes in the Early & Later Hours of the Day when the density & visibility are at the lowest point's
(When there is no Daylight & very poorly lit area's).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 8:52 AM
video et taceo

canada's homicide rates should be a source of pride given that we share a long border with an enormous western outlier in this regard. despite that, we're down with hungary and belgium and other such peaceable realms.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
The Problem with Timmins is its a very low Density Canadian City, its has 45,000 People but spread out across a land area of:
2,979.15 km2 (Thats just over Half the Land of Metro Calgary but with a mere Fraction of Calgary's Population) heck there are Wards in Calgary with bigger populations than all of Timmins..
That Means Timmins is just over 14.5 persons per Square km2 (38/square mile).
Criminals tend to do/ commit more Crimes in Lower Density Area's (Fewer Eye Witnesses, less of a Police Presence, slower response times & an easier getaway also).
Just ask the U.S. Most of their Major Cities are Low Density Suburban Sprawl.
I suspect that this is another reason Thunder Bay has a High Violent Crime Rate too, there are no people for miles on End, you kill someone dump the body in the river & nobody knows for weeks because the areas are rarely explored, the Larger the Population in general (as well as density) the lower the Crime Severity, I consider Violent Crime like, Homicide, Armed Robbery, Rape, Aggravated Assault, Automobile Theft, Home Invasions, as High on the Crime Severity Index.
Criminals are also more likely to commit crimes in the Early & Later Hours of the Day when the density & visibility are at the lowest point's
(When there is no Daylight & very poorly lit area's).
I don't see that as the reason.

Timmins has a huge area but not everyone lives evenly spread out on their own square kilometre of land.

The vast majority of Timmins' land area in uninhabited wilderness and the populated part of the city has the same density as similarly-sized cities anywhere in Canada.

As for having lots of open space to dump bodies or commit crimes, lots of Canadian cities have that nearby. It doesn't have to be within the city limits in order for criminals to take advantage of it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 7:42 PM
Aimless Wanderer

The old, built up area of Timmins is actually pretty dense, with many houses crammed up against each other since they were thrown up hastily during the city's early mining town boom period.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 3:48 AM

Haha, interesting discussion as I live in Timmins!

The older urban sections here are quite densely populated and the houses are very close together. The same goes for Schumacher. Most other suburban-type sections are still fairly dense as houses here are smaller than the provincial average and the same goes with property sizes. It's kind of ironic since our city has a huge land area. But don't forget that most of the land withing city limits is bush. There are many mines and logging operations within city limits.

Timmins has an unusually high number of social problems for a community its size. There is quite a bit of poverty and homelessness. A Study conducted by Laurentian University a few years ago found that Timmins has more than double the number of homeless people than Sudbury. And Sudbury has 3.5 times the population of Timmins! There are also a large number of people here with mental health issues.

There are likely many reasons why our murder rate is high but I'd say it more about the types of some people who live here rather than the geography.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 4:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't see that as the reason.

Timmins has a huge area but not everyone lives evenly spread out on their own square kilometre of land.

The vast majority of Timmins' land area in uninhabited wilderness and the populated part of the city has the same density as similarly-sized cities anywhere in Canada.

As for having lots of open space to dump bodies or commit crimes, lots of Canadian cities have that nearby. It doesn't have to be within the city limits in order for criminals to take advantage of it.
Oh wow I never knew that, thanks for clearing that up for me lol, (I feel pretty dumb sometimes xD).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada