HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The one under construction is called Cunard. It's an unfortunate development. The biggest gaff is the a solid exterior wall on the 3rd and 4th floors hiding parking. Cladding can still save it. The cladding in the renderings doesn't suggest quality.
I don't think it's that bad, but it's not as nice as some other prominent newer developments and arguably it's worse than the circa 2000 building next door in some ways. I wonder if they put the parking above due to flooding. Some other waterfront buildings do have underground parking, and they are normally elevated by a few m in anticipation of further sea level rise.

There is/was a waterfront development corp that is now I think called Build NS that manages these lands and I think slows down the development compared to what would happen if they were privately owned. Virtually all strangely underused sites that have sat for decades are tied to some level of government or large institution like Dalhousie.

This photo is a snapshot from 2022 or so and a lot of changes are coming. It's hard to say what will happen with construction but the current pipeline is much larger than it was in the 2010's, with 30+ storey proposals now being common. There are 3 or 4 decent-sized developments underway downtown but most construction will likely shift to the "midtown" area around Robie/Almon (including Robie running north from Spring Garden Road) and Dartmouth across the bridge (currently the Macdonald toll plaza wasteland). That's going to be the most central area geographically in the metro and for transit, and the old downtown area is running out of zoned buildable space.

Somebody was saying there's a planning exercise to explore adding more services and density around that midtown area. I wonder if they will eventually allow 40+ storey towers there. There are multiple large development sites around Richmond Yards. Eventually there could be enough demand to justify some underground rapid transit that serves these areas.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:22 PM

Thanks alps - although I was asking about the building on the lower left immediately beside Cunard! I can’t quite make out the logo on the building, the one with shaded windows. Still, now I got an additional update It’s looking alright, but would be a lot better if they dropped the white banding in this case. Sometimes it works, often it doesn’t.

Thanks Whipper Snapper - overall I really like the look of Cunard having Googled it, except for the parking level up the in the air. I assume it was to save money not to have parking underground. Does seem strange to drive in at street level and then up a level to parking. As ya’ll know Kelowna has a lot of above ground parking levels in their new builds - the argument is that you can still have a good ground floor, it reduces the overall cost (making the build more affordable) and reduces the greenhouse gas emissions /environmental impact due to less excavation.

https://cunardresidences.southwest.ca/

EDIT: thanks for the info isaidso, and someone123 for the insights.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:27 PM

Had no idea Cunard was still around.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This lot is named after Samuel Cunard who founded the Cunard steamship line. The line is still around and the Queen Mary II comes to town every so often. Liverpool has a lovely Cunard office building from the 1910's but sadly nothing like that was built in Halifax and there is no surviving building. They did have a stone office building (looks like ironstone construction with an archway to the waterfront; similar to the Keith's brewery or Jerusalem Warehouse), I think on this Cunard lot, probably built in the 1830's or so. Wikipedia says at one point he owned 1/7 of PEI when it was still semi-feudal and occupied by tenants who would have paid him quitrents.

I wish they'd reconstruct a few of these old waterfront buildings in Halifax.

Source

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 12:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This lot is named after Samuel Cunard who founded the Cunard steamship line. The line is still around and the Queen Mary II comes to town every so often. Liverpool has a lovely Cunard office building from the 1910's but sadly nothing like that was built in Halifax and there is no surviving building. They did have a stone office building (looks like ironstone construction with an archway to the waterfront; similar to the Keith's brewery or Jerusalem Warehouse), I think on this Cunard lot, probably built in the 1830's or so. Wikipedia says at one point he owned 1/7 of PEI when it was still semi-feudal and occupied by tenants who would have paid him quitrents.

I wish they'd reconstruct a few of these old waterfront buildings in Halifax.
Is it possible there was something more substantial that was destroyed or heavily damaged in the explosion of 1917?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 1:33 AM
I am the law!

The explosion/ tsunami spared downtown. It took out a lowrise neighbourhood on the Halifax side and wiped out a indigenous settlement on the Dartmouth side.

However, there was an enormous supertall sugar refinery on the harbourfront

https://www.reddit.com/r/halifax/com..._1880_was_off/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 1:35 PM

From UQO. Dow's Lake skyline to the left. Mechanicsville/Tunney's at the centre. Partial Westboro on the right.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...I7YDWZCNX24ZQ/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 2:17 PM

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 3:39 PM
Look at me!

Yesterday

DSC01278 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01279 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01273 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01294 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01287 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01284 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01276 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC01301 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 3:59 PM
Mooderator

Very nice, Rico. I was there during F1 weekend and took a few similar shots.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 4:07 PM

Yonge and Eglignton looking like a city all by itself.

Untitled by alex_virt, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 4:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Toronto has a crazy number of subsidiary skylines. It is becoming like multi-nodal Tokyo in this regard.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 6:39 PM

I need to get to Tokyo, I bet every city feels quaint after a visit there. I believe Tokyo's population is greater then all of Canada.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 6:41 PM
Unregistered User

Back to the original topic of discussion, North Battleford SK:

Source

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I need to get to Tokyo, I bet every city feels quaint after a visit there. I believe Tokyo's population is greater then all of Canada.
No longer - Tokyo's population is on the decline (aging population, very little immigration, low birthrate), while ours is surging.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 7:02 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

You might be surprised - Tokyo is quite orderly & serene for such a massive city; and because it's so decentralised there isn't really any singular area that feels like it's on the same scale as say, Manhattan. Its scale is expressed more through its vastness - the endlessness of it all is pretty mind-blowing - but not easily perceptible until you're rolling through the city at 300km/h.

The one upside of Trudeau's immigration ponzi scheme though is that no one can claim that Tokyo or California are more populous than Canada anymore.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
No longer - Tokyo's population is on the decline (aging population, very little immigration, low birthrate), while ours is surging.
Canada's current population is 38,918,000, metro Tokyo is 40,800,000.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Back to the original topic of discussion, North Battleford SK:

Source

Nice!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:14 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 9:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I've been to Tokyo twice. It is on a completely different level than any other city I have visited, including other behemoth Asian cities like Seoul and Shanghai. It also feels much bigger and vibrant than NYC. Easily one of my three favourite cities on the planet.

I believe Tokyo's population maxed out a couple of years ago, at just under 38 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada