HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 6:16 PM

Now That The Summit is Done ...

I was in Phoenix over Christmas and took a stroll around DT late in the day. The Summit is one of my favorite projects in all of metro Phoenix. The finished product is spectacular in its setting next to the ballpark. It will make a great anchor structure for the Jackson Street Entertainment District. Here are some shots I took of the colorful gem.

From the south stairs of the ballpark, over the RR Tracks.

Last edited by JimInCal; Dec 29, 2007 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 6:44 PM
Todo para la familia

Man, that building looks fantastic! Those are some bold colors but it just makes the building look that much better and the fact that it's just across th way from Chase Field makes me think that we should paint the ballpark a bold red color (since everything else for the D-Backs is Sedona Red). Again, this and 44 monroe are the two defining building to the up and coming Phx Skyline.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 3:12 PM
Dbacks baby!

Nice photos JiminCal. The Summit looks great, and all the photos on all the threads you updated to look good also. Thanks

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 3:40 PM
Up Up and Away

That definately is a colorful structure. This is a great addition for Phoenix.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 3:25 AM

Nice pics JiminCal-
And of Tempe Town Lake too....
I really like the bottom pic- very nice.

I am a much bigger fan of 44 Monroe's design but this has a certain appeal to it too.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 10:08 PM

Summit Height

I wasn't on the forum at the time SACS was proposed and approved. I wonder was there any argument at that time? Was this the height Wallach always wanted or did he come down to compromise with the community? Was this the maximum height anyone would have got for this land or could there be slightly higher buildings built in the future south of Jefferson? With cityscape becoming more and more mediocre I'm putting all my faith in JSED to really bring DT to life and make it a great area to live and visit.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 12:19 AM

^ There was a little debate. I think Wallach wanted 275' initially and ended up trimming off about 20 feet to get it approved.

--don

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
^ There was a little debate. I think Wallach wanted 275' initially and ended up trimming off about 20 feet to get it approved.

--don
Like everything else that gets built in Phoenix, SACS was subject to FAA AND Dept. of Aviation rules. FAA height limit was slightly higher than the current height, but the Dept. of Aviation only approved the current height, so that is what got built.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 1:51 AM

I went to the Summit Sales Center today. There were a number of new buyers milling about. The salesperson told me that they have released 15 units to the market, with some one bedroom units around $350k (sounds like a good deal compared to the rest of the market).

They are also closing the double-wide sales trailer and will begin selling out of their furnished model. I was also told that the JSED office will go into that double-wide trailer.

Weitz is also preparing to move off the site as well, as the entire building is just about finished!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 1:55 AM

Go Jsed!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:47 AM

It really is a great looking building and no set backs! Now if only we could get 15 more of them.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 5:50 PM

So much for the "85% sold" that we've heard about in the past...

Quote:
The Summit at Copper Square LLC named in $3.1M lien filed by The Weitz Co.
Phoenix Business Journal - by Jan Buchholz Phoenix Business Journal

A $3.1 million lien -- the second-largest in Maricopa County this year -- has been filed against the limited liability company that developed The Summit at Copper Square condominiums in downtown Phoenix.

In its claim, The Weitz Co. names The Summit at Copper Square LLC and buyers of 86 of the new high-rise units at 310 S. Fourth St., just west of Chase Field.

Weitz, the general contractor on the 23-story luxury condo project, began construction in December 2005. The first of the 165 units were delivered to buyers in November 2007.

Weitz filed the lien within a 120-day window after completing construction, as prescribed by state law, and after sending the developer a required 20-day notice of its intent to file.

The lien was filed May 9 at the Maricopa County Recorder's Office. Only one larger mechanic's lien -- $5.6 million -- was filed this year. Wespac Construction Inc. filed it against Phoenix Plaza PT LLC, according to Mesa-based research company Ion Data Express.

Weitz said the $3.1 million is for labor, material, fixtures and tools for which it has not been reimbursed. The company seeks interest on the current balance, accrued interest until the balance is paid, and attorney fees.

In a statement issued by Mike Bontrager, president of the Southwest business unit of The Weitz Co., the matter "is part of normal business process and should not be interpreted as anything else." He said the company has a good relationship with developer David Wallach, and he is confident the issue will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Wallach agreed, saying the lien filing is "not unusual." He referred to it as a "procedural matter." Weitz, he said, already has been paid $55 million and will get what it's owed.

"I don't think Weitz is worried about getting paid $3.1 million," Wallach said.

He said final payment to the contractor "is taking a little longer than expected," but sales have been steady since November and as more units are sold, the company will pay Weitz what is owed.

That may be small consolation to the condo buyers. At least one buyer who did not want to be identified said he received notification of the lien May 13 via e-mail from The Summit at Copper Square.

"The people who are named unexpectedly in liens are some of the most frustrated people in construction," said Joel Sannes, a construction attorney at Lake & Cobb PLC. "It's frightening."

Sannes said he has never seen anyone lose their home because of a mechanic's lien, but receiving a notice is often unnerving. "When you look at it, it looks like you could lose your home," he said, but generally the primary parties involved will find a way to resolve the problem.

Some of the condo owners at The Summit could face roadblocks if they want to sell or refinance their units.

Such blanket liens, which name anyone with an interest in the property, "can make life difficult," said Dan Boughton, title manager at Camelback Title Agency.

To protect themselves, Boughton encouraged owners at The Summit to notify the title company where they closed on their property that the mechanic's lien has been filed. The title company can determine whether the lien affects their ability to convey or refinance the property.

Jim Balsbaugh, senior vice president of Stewart Title & Trust of Phoenix, said title insurance policies differ, so the implications may be more severe for some.

"Some buyers may have exposure," he said. "It depends on the title insurance that the buyers obtained."

It's possible that some pending sales, which Wallach said would help pay off the lien, could be delayed or canceled as a result of the lien.

Sales for The Summit are soft, with only 86 of the 165 unit sold. The Phoenix Business Journal reported last year that condos were selling at the property for $440,000 to $1.35 million.

"It could put a chill on (sales) and stop them completely," Sannes said.

Sannes said he expects to see more cases being resolved through lien foreclosures and bankruptcies as a result of the tight credit market.

Wallach stands by The Summit as one of the most solid Phoenix has to offer. He said payments on the construction loan to First National Bank of Arizona are in order.

"I don't know anyone who has taken $35 million off their construction loan since November," Wallach said. "It probably makes us one of the healthiest (developments) in the Valley."

The Summit at Copper Square is Wallach's first development in Phoenix. Through his firm, W Development LLC, Wallach also is developing the 32-story Omega condos at Second Avenue and Adams Street in downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 1:03 AM

The reporter does not quote anyone for that assertion. In fact, 86 units have closed at Summit since they started closing units in November. They have more closings scheduled. I think the reporter simpy got her facts wrong.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 2:52 AM

$ 440,000 for a one-bedroom apartment is absurd in Phoenix. Heck, I could buy a nice single-family home in one of the historic neighborhoods near downtown Phoenix for that kind of dough.

Kansas City and Chicago are selling $150,000 condos in their downtown areas. Why can't Phoenix?

Until these California prices for Arizona real estate get real, condo projects in Phoenix will struggle. I mean, really - I could buy a place in downtown San Diego which is eight times cooler than downtown Phoenix for this kind of money - WHY would I buy in Phoenix?

As for people not being able to sell because of the lien - trust me, the lien is the least of their worries. Nothing is really happening in Phoenix real estate right now...as the market sinks lower and lower with no end in sight.

Oh, and the reporter is an idiot. Your title insurance is in the same amount as the purchase price. $3.1 million divided by 165 units equals about $19k per unit. There's nothing to see here...move on.

--don

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 4:34 AM
BANNED

I looked at these a couple of weeks ago. The 1 bedroom was 340K and I liked the one on the 5th floor, even though there was no view, because it had a HUGE patio. I MEAN FUCKING HUGE! But it looks as though I might be moving out of this state so I passed... was ready to sign a contract too.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 2:21 PM

^ $340k is a lot better than $440k, but still too much.

You may be leaving? Que pasa?

--don

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest