HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:02 PM

Lol all those artists come here too & have been here many times. I’m saying some of the BIG shows like Jay, Kanye etc never do Saskatoon.

Maybe the Weekend talked to Jay Z and Kanye about how they would feel comfortable in Winnipeg but might not fit in a smaller Thomas Rhett kinda town.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

C'est qui Thomas Rhett?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
C'est qui Thomas Rhett?
A country music artist, apparently. His 2017 tour had some interesting locations:

London, UK
Birmingham, UK
Manchester, UK
Glasgow, UK
Belfast, UK
Abbotsford, BC
Dawson Creek, BC
Edmonton, AB
Lethbridge, AB
Regina, SK
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego, CA
Evansville, IN
Louisville, KY
Alpharetta, GA
Washington, DC
Columbia, SC
Pensacola, FL
Biloxi, MS
Columbia, MO
Kansas City, MO
Springfield, MO
Bismarck, ND
St Paul, MN
Omaha, NE

http://www.soundslikenashville.com/n...ome-team-tour/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
I've seen Bruno Mars and Beyoncè & loved their concerts, but don't have any interest seeing The Weeknd or Kanye West.
Why do I get the feeling that this would change very quickly if either of them ever came through Saskatoon

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:43 PM
the first stamp is free

It really pisses me off when these giant tours stop in Dawson Creek, but don't come to Winnipeg.

Why does Dawson Creek get all the big shows?

Obviously they must have an arena with a great roof to support all the fancy pyrotechnics and lasers and stuff.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It really pisses me off when these giant tours stop in Dawson Creek, but don't come to Winnipeg.

Why does Dawson Creek get all the big shows?

Obviously they must have an arena with a great roof to support all the fancy pyrotechnics and lasers and stuff.
Dawson Creek's per capita GDP must blow ours out of the water, so naturally we are punished by being deprived of nice things like Thomas Rhett tour stops.

We will simply have to settle for the likes of Taylor Swift, Paul McCartney, Kanye, Jay-Z, Lady Gaga and whoever else comes through town. And of course the Stanley Cup contending hockey team around here. It's not Thomas Rhett but it'll have to do

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:00 PM

^^ apparently Taylor Swift's concerts in Saskatoon were amazing!!
I never got to see Paul McCartney at Mosaic Stadium in Regina (he's a little before my time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Quote:
originally posted by SaskScraper
I did enjoy Macklemore and Ryan Lewis as far as hip hop artists go though. They only had a few tour dates in Canada when I saw them in Saskatoon, not Winnipeg though.

https://www.facebook.com/Macklemore/...3053232495268/
Lol all those artists come here too & have been here many times...
LOL ok, what ever you say Pinocchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Maybe the Weekend talked to Jay Z and Kanye about how they would feel comfortable in Winnipeg but might not fit in a smaller Thomas Rhett kinda town.
Could you please have "The Weeknd" and Kanye have a talk with Nickelback so they don't come to Saskatoon again..Please??
I don't know if that's how Winnipeg got knocked off their 6 continent/110 show tour that went to countries the likes of Brazil, Australia, Russia, United Arab Emirates, Japan & S Africa but what ever the 'peg did it worked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_a...ur_(Nickelback)

Quote:
originally posted by Acajack
C'est qui Thomas Rhett?
he is just the sexiest male Country artist alive

http://bigfrog104.com/thomas-rhett-b...r-to-syracuse/

Last edited by SaskScraper; Nov 16, 2018 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
^^ apparently Taylor Swift's concerts in Saskatoon were amazing!!
When?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:37 PM

..or maybe it was Craven Country Music Festival near Regina she was at, I don't know, I didn't see her when she did her concerts in Saskatchewan.
All I know is the people that saw her said her voice sounded exactly like you would hear on album...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:

..or maybe it was Craven Country Music Festival near Regina she was at, I don't know, I didn't see her when she did her concerts in Saskatchewan.
All I know is the people that saw her said her voice sounded exactly like you would hear on album...
I don’t see her playing Saskatoon.

She did bring her massive Red Tour here to Winnipeg a few years back, her and Ed Sheeran played to 33,000 plus at IGF. They did Toronto , Wpg, Edm and Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I know we've been getting it for a while on here, but Saskatchewan/Saskatoon Uber Alles still takes some getting used to!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know we've been getting it for a while on here, but Saskatchewan/Saskatoon Uber Alles still takes some getting used to!
Resistance is futile!!!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:03 PM

I never saw Ed Sheeran's concerts in Regina & Saskatoon.. sigh*
last year's concert in Saskatoon was good but not as good as two years before in Saskatoon apparently from what friends that went said..

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:49 PM
HVAC guru

Winter dome proposed for Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/f...box=1542397203

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
He's trying to prove Saskatoon is a better and more worthy city of a world-class event attracting facility than Winnipeg. He hasn't been very convincing so far.
I don't doubt Saskatoon should have premium facilities, and good for Saskatoon if they can get a state-of-the-art facility built

but comparing the two cities 1:1 is nonsensical

Quote:
So far almost all the opposition on SSP for Saskatoon building a newer nicer arena than Bell MTS has been from Winnipeg. Forumers from there are quick to down play arena developments & posting unfactual info about SaskTel Centre's figures & capacity, making inaccurate comments comparing to other arenas in Canada. It doesn't really come as a surprise since Winnipegers were in opposition to a nicer Mosaic Stadium in Regina being built too. Maybe Manitoba SSP posters are jealous

I've seen Bruno Mars and Beyoncè & loved their concerts, but don't have any interest seeing The Weeknd or Kanye West. I did enjoy Macklemore and Ryan Lewis as far as hip hop artists go though. They only had a few tour dates in Canada when I saw them in Saskatoon, not Winnipeg though.
I don't recall any talk, in fact I recall the opposite - MB posters (and AB posters, and posters all around) were very positive about the new Mosaic stadium in Regina. Maybe there was some discussion about the price tag, which is a fair discussion to have and would have occurred had a Winnipeg stadium been for the same price. You need to keep in mind new Mosaic cost 2x more for a similar facility, even if it is nicer and newer, it is similar to IGF in terms of being a "nice new stadium" in a full closed bowl appearance

I've called cities much smaller than Saskatoon home, and cities much larger than Winnipeg home...and consistently comparing Winnipeg and Saskatoon 1:1 is nonsensical. I still don't get exactly why? Where is this fabricated jealousy coming from?

There's nothing wrong with a new arena in Saskatoon being a state-of-the-art facility...I mean, Winnipeg is smaller than Calgary yet has more state of the art sports facilities than Calgary does. I have a postal code in Calgary; I have used the sports facilities in Calgary more than I have in Winnipeg. Doesn't change the inherent differences in market size between Calgary and Winnipeg. What does having a state of the art facility for Saskatoon prove over Winnipeg? Yes a newer facility in Saskatoon will only bring even more names and shows through, I know the difference a good facility can make having had to travel up to Edmonton from Calgary for many shows that skipped us for Edmonton. But what point are you pushing?

Be proud of what Saskatoon has accomplished, but if you're going with that 1:1 angle (which is what I am getting implicitly from your posts) then there's no point to bring up Winnipeg and MB SSPP's in a negative light. What is impressive is how much Saskatoon has attracted in terms of concerts given that Saskatchewan has two major centres, and the fact that Saskatoon is much smaller than Winnipeg - that is impressive for a city it's size.

But to our initial discussion; Winnipeg has had more concerts and shows than Saskatoon:

1) Winnipeg has 2 major facilities in Bell MTS and IGF and many more smaller facilities. More shows come through on that basis alone, from many more indie artists to many more big ticket artists.

2) Winnipeg market is larger than Saskatoon and Regina combined. It is also the only major market in the province. This leads to more attendees, stronger sponsorship opportunities, more market draw, more interest in a wider variety of genres. It is a more varied market in terms of taste than Saskatoon, so certain shows will draw more attendees. Certain artists** will draw more in Saskatoon than they will in Winnipeg, but I am speaking generally

3) The arena alone is busier with 2 pro sports teams using it regularly

4) I had a role in helping bring artists to Winnipeg (and other cities in this country) in a former life. I still know a few people in those roles. I can tell you for a fact that there is more interest in Winnipeg, than there is in Saskatoon, on every end of the music spectrum - from smaller artists to big name ticket sellers. It has more to do with the market draw and numbers of facilities that exist in Winnipeg (though, I can also tell you Saskatoon fares very well for a market it's size)

5) A new arena in Saskatoon, even one larger and more state of the art than Bell MTS won't change 1-4 which are intrinsic factors of the cities themselves

Last edited by roccerfeller; Nov 17, 2018 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I don't doubt Saskatoon should have premium facilities, and good for Saskatoon if they can get a state-of-the-art facility built

but comparing the two cities 1:1 is nonsensical

I don't recall any talk, in fact I recall the opposite - MB posters (and AB posters, and posters all around) were very positive about the new Mosaic stadium in Regina. Maybe there was some discussion about the price tag, which is a fair discussion to have and would have occurred had a Winnipeg stadium been for the same price. You need to keep in mind new Mosaic cost 2x more for a similar facility, even if it is nicer and newer, it is similar to IGF in terms of being a "nice new stadium" in a full closed bowl appearance

I've called cities much smaller than Saskatoon home, and cities much larger than Winnipeg home...and consistently comparing Winnipeg and Saskatoon 1:1 is nonsensical. I still don't get exactly why? Where is this fabricated jealousy coming from?

There's nothing wrong with a new arena in Saskatoon being a state-of-the-art facility...I mean, Winnipeg is smaller than Calgary yet has more state of the art sports facilities than Calgary does. I have a postal code in Calgary; I have used the sports facilities in Calgary more than I have in Winnipeg. Doesn't change the inherent differences in market size between Calgary and Winnipeg. What does having a state of the art facility for Saskatoon prove over Winnipeg? Yes a newer facility in Saskatoon will only bring even more names and shows through, I know the difference a good facility can make having had to travel up to Edmonton from Calgary for many shows that skipped us for Edmonton. But what point are you pushing?

Be proud of what Saskatoon has accomplished, but if you're going with that 1:1 angle (which is what I am getting implicitly from your posts) then there's no point to bring up Winnipeg and MB SSPP's in a negative light. What is impressive is how much Saskatoon has attracted in terms of concerts given that Saskatchewan has two major centres, and the fact that Saskatoon is much smaller than Winnipeg - that is impressive for a city it's size.

But to our initial discussion; Winnipeg has had more concerts and shows than Saskatoon:

1) Winnipeg has 2 major facilities in Bell MTS and IGF and many more smaller facilities. More shows come through on that basis alone, from many more indie artists to many more big ticket artists.

2) Winnipeg market is larger than Saskatoon and Regina combined. It is also the only major market in the province. This leads to more attendees, stronger sponsorship opportunities, more market draw, more interest in a wider variety of genres. It is a more varied market in terms of taste than Saskatoon, so certain shows will draw more attendees. Certain artists** will draw more in Saskatoon than they will in Winnipeg, but I am speaking generally

3) The arena alone is busier with 2 pro sports teams using it regularly

4) I had a role in helping bring artists to Winnipeg (and other cities in this country) in a former life. I still know a few people in those roles. I can tell you for a fact that there is more interest in Winnipeg, than there is in Saskatoon, on every end of the music spectrum - from smaller artists to big name ticket sellers. It has more to do with the market draw and numbers of facilities that exist in Winnipeg (though, I can also tell you Saskatoon fares very well for a market it's size)

5) A new arena in Saskatoon, even one larger and more state of the art than Bell MTS won't change 1-4 which are intrinsic factors of the cities themselves
I think I figured out the problem,
you can't do math properly!!

IGF stadium in Winnipeg opened a year late, cost $210 million + another $35 million a year after to repair what wasn't built properly (maybe they couldn't do math either) $245 million total.

New Mosaic Stadium in Regina opened on time & on budget and cost $278 million. With sunk-into-ground field & wind deflecting roof, All LED stadium lighting & high end sound system, state of the art training facilities, video scoreboard slightly larger than the main board at the new Vikings stadium etc.

By doing the math properly, the more technologically advanced New Mosaic did not cost 2x more than IGF Stadium.

The point I'm making is the reason SaskTel Centre gets just as many if not more concerts than Bell MTS as well as consistently higher attendance at each concert both cities on tours share is likely because even though Manitoba has ~15% larger population than Saskatchewan, the major urban centres of Saskatoon & Regina in the province have ~20% higher median household income than Winnipeg. Also Saskatchewan has a younger average age and therefore a demographic more likely to go to concerts.

I don't make the rules or set policies on what events come to Saskatoon, one of my friend's spouse use to be on SaskTel Centre board of directors and it was explained to me that Saskatoon's persistence & ability to draw large acts through successfully securing and promoting artists to the arena has made a name for itself. Whether people from other cities, such as Winnipeg, like it or not, Saskatoon is consistently in the top half dozen cities in Canada to get national and international performing acts. When acts do only 6 - 8 or so concerts in Canada, Saskatoon is consistently on the list of dates.

https://edmontonjournal.com/entertai...s-place-aug-18

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_Hits_50!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 6:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I thiink I figure out the problem,

IGF stadium in Winnipeg opened a year late, cost $210 million + another $35 million a year after to repair what wasn't built properly (maybe they couldn't do math either) $245 million total.

New Mosaic Stadium in Regina opened on time & on budget and cost $278 million. With sunk-into-ground field & wind deflecting roof, All LED stadium lighting & high end sound system, state of the art training facilities, video scoreboard slightly larger than the main board at the new Vikings stadium etc.

By doing the math properly, the more technologically advanced New Mosaic did not cost 2x more than IGF Stadium.

The point I'm making is the reason SaskTel Centre gets just as many if not more concerts than Bell MTS as well as consistently higher attendance at each concert both cities on tours share is likely because even though Manitoba has ~15% larger population than Saskatchewan, the major urban centres of Saskatoon & Regina in the province have ~20% higher median household income than Winnipeg. Also Saskatchewan has a younger average age and therefore a demographic more likely to go to concerts.

I don't make the rules or set policies on what events come to Saskatoon, one of my friend's spouse use to be on SaskTel Centre board of directors and it was explained to me that Saskatoon's persistence & ability to draw large acts through successfully securing and promoting artists to the arena has made a name for itself. Whether other cities, such as Winnipeg, like it or not, Saskatoon is consistently in the top half dozen cities in Canada to get national and international performing acts. When acts do only 6 - 8 or so concerts in Canada, Saskatoon is consistently on the list of dates.

"Hey guys! Look at me! Over here!!" - Thomas Rhett

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
More realistically, the lack of a major pro sports team in Saskatoon means more available concert dates and to some extent, more money left over to spend on concert tickets.

Oh, and look who's coming to Winnipeg... SSP Canada's favourite country singer

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:29 AM

OMG Fantastic! citizens of Manitoba are in for a concert treat!
I'm just gushing right now...was at Hammersmith Apollo last night. He said he was here last Fall too when he sold out The Roundhouse too. I'm going to get more tickets, to either Saskatoon or Regina shows next May if I'm back in Canada then. I'm heading to bed now...

As far as NHL taking a hit on Manitoban's pocket book, that's probably true, once Jets hockey team have milked every Winnipeg man, women & child of their disposable income, there probably isn't much money left to go towards other forms of entertainment like concerts at MTS.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
"Hey guys! Look at me! Over here!!" - Thomas Rhett
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
More realistically, the lack of a major pro sports team in Saskatoon means more available concert dates and to some extent, more money left over to spend on concert tickets.

Oh, and look who's coming to Winnipeg... SSP Canada's favourite country singer
you guys might turn Thomas Rhett into a bit of a SSP meme

Quote:
I think I figured out the problem,

I don't make the rules or set policies on what events come to Saskatoon, one of my friend's spouse use to be on SaskTel Centre board of directors and it was explained to me that Saskatoon's persistence & ability to draw large acts through successfully securing and promoting artists to the arena has made a name for itself. Whether people from other cities, such as Winnipeg, like it or not, Saskatoon is consistently in the top half dozen cities in Canada to get national and international performing acts. When acts do only 6 - 8 or so concerts in Canada, Saskatoon is consistently on the list of dates.

Ah my apologies - for some reason I thought Mosaic cost 400MM. My mistake there.

That said, that "problem" doesn't have anything to do with my statement though, which was posters were more or less positive about Mosaic stadium? I know I was impressed with it when it was unveiled. I still think it is a beautiful venue (they could have picked a better colour than green though )

First Off, from the venues themselves:
Sasktel's own website says they host over 100 events per year
An old Article about the former MTS Centre being one of busiest venues in North America states more than 140 events per year

Next, Lets go more directly to your point then, shall we?

Instead of posting wikipedia articles and edmonton journal news clipping about concerts that reach Sasktel Centre (one could selectively do the same with Bell MTS Place mind you...), let's look at actual ticket sales for music concerts via Pollstar. What I've seen is you mostly posting about hypotheticals and linking random news articles about some concert that went through Sasktel centre as evidence of being busier than Bell MTS Place.
So let's look at raw ticket sales for concerts, as best we can.
All the big names and big shows report to Pollstar, as do many smaller ones.

In mid-2017 report from Pollstar
Bell MTS place was in 113th place in the world with 74,956 tickets sold
Sasktel Centre was in 152nd place with 46,335 tickets sold
(Again, this is from Pollstar - it is only for shows between Jan 1 2017 and June 30 2017)

The Year End report from 2017 from Pollstar (Jan 1 2017 to Dec 31 2017)
Bell MTS Place finished 113th place in the world with 155,582 tickets sold
Sasktel Centre finished in 140th place with 99,807 tickets sold

In the Mid-2018 report from Pollstar: (Jan 1 2018, to June 30 2018)
Bell MTS place was in 120th place in the world with 62,927 tickets sold
Sasktel Centre did not make the top 200 arenas (<25,598 tickets sold)

Again this is only for tickets sold for concert shows. It doesn't include NHL or AHL in Winnipeg, nor the WHL team in Saskatoon.

The point I am making, is that there are more tickets sold in shows at Bell MTS Place just from the last year and half of data alone.

And lastly, to your notion about demographics being a reason why Sasktel gets more shows than Bell MTS (which, as we've already proven above, it does not)

It is important to point out when talking finances, that the wellbeing of the city itself is important. Head offices are a good sign of a city's general wherewithal in terms of attracting corporations.
Winnipeg has 24 head offices in Canada, as of 2016, fifth most in the country
Saskatoon has 9. A lot for a city it's size, but less corporations. What does this mean? It means an average is just that. An average. There is a larger and more diverse spectrum of financial wherewithal in Winnipeg. More people on the lower end of that can certainly bring that average down.
There are more people in Winnipeg, more people means a larger demographic, there are also more shows that go through Winnipeg than Saskatoon (generally speaking, I mean that go through each respective city and all their venues); a larger demographic with access to more shows means more people will have more options. Winnipeg has an abundance of venues, which also take smaller shows away from Bell MTS place. Some smaller names, but still recognizable have skipped Bell MTS Place to perform in different venues. The same argument can be made for Saskatoon, yes but Winnipeg has many more venues. We are ultimately talking about shows and concerts and venues, right?

Your argument about Saskatchewan having a younger median age and thus a demographic more likely to go to concerts? What are you trying to say by comparing an entire province demographic when you're talking about Sasktel centre which is in Saskatoon? Sasktel's centre's primary audience will be in Saskatoon and the Saskatoon CMA. It will no doubt draw from Regina and around Saskatchewan, just as Winnipeg will draw around Manitoba, NW Ontario and ND, but the primary population is still served by the Winnipeg CMA.

Let's look at this young demographic between Saskatoon and Winnipeg, which is more fair to the point you were making and the comparison between the two arenas...

This is right from the last census (2016)
Winnipeg demographics age 15-34: 198,220
Saskatoon demographics age 15-34: 75,845

or about 2.6x the number of people in that young age group who can go and buy concert tickets for whomever

As i said:
Doesn't change points 1-4 from my previous post.

it also doesn't change the data from Pollstar. It is a nonsensical argument.

You're in London. No one in Winnipeg is going to say Bell MTS gets more concerts than O2
Go have a nice few local pints at Brewdog and relax, have some for me, yes we have been debating with one another but I still respect you as a fellow SSP poster, and I also respect your passion for Saskatoon!

Last edited by roccerfeller; Nov 18, 2018 at 4:13 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada