HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:27 PM

LGBTQ2+ National Monument [Commissioner St] | U/C

Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN

The Board of Directors has approved the design guidelines and program for the National LGBTQ2+ Monument.

Details: https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/virtual..._medium=social | #ottawa

12:50 PM · Jan 21, 2021·Hootsuite Inc.
Quote:
@NCC_CCN

This new landmark, to be located at the intersection of Wellington Street and Portage Bridge, will recognize generations of LGBTQ2+ people and tell the story of those who have been persecuted and marginalized.

Details: https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/virtual...g-january-2021 | #ottawa

12:55 PM · Jan 21, 2021·Hootsuite Inc.
https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1352313963036499978

Presentation: https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...157&focal=none

Submission: https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...208&focal=none

Last edited by J.OT13; Jan 21, 2021 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Added Tweet and image.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Five teams short-listed to design LGBTQ2+ monument in Ottawa

Angelica Zagorski, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Feb 26, 2021 • 34 minutes ago • 2 minute read

Five teams have been short-listed in the competition to design the LGBTQ2+ National Monument on land between the Portage Bridge and Library and Archives Canada.

The finalists were announced this week by the federal government, the LGBT Purge Fund and the National Capital Commission. The project is meant to commemorate those who faced discrimination during the purge.

The LGBT Purge was the period between the 1950s and mid-1990s when LGBT members of institutions such as the Canadian Armed Forces, the RCMP and the federal public service faced systemic harassment and discrimination due to their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. The harassment sometimes included being following, interrogated or abused. Thousands of lives were shattered.

The teams short-listed to submit design proposals for the landmark are:

• Team Durling, with partners in Dartmouth, N.S., Rotterdam and Six Nations of the Grand River, Ont.;
• Team MASS, with partners in Boston and Toronto;
• Team OnCommon Ground, whose members are from Ottawa, Berkeley, Calif., and Montreal;
• Team SOM, with members from New York, Winnipeg and Lac Seul First Nation, Ont.;
• Team Wreford, whose partners are all Winnipeg-based.

Artist Lorri Millan of Team Wreford said, “We were drawn together through creating this monument that is meaningful to us, but also the LGBTQ2+ survivors of the Purge. It’s a memorial to the systemic discrimination that the community has suffered throughout history.”

Millan is working with fellow visual artist Shawna Dempsey. “Shawna and I have been making art and addressing issues of equality and social justice for a long time now. This for us is a really good fit,” said Millan. “We personally have been affected by decades of discrimination from our government, and we know people who were directly impacted by the Purge.

“We are in an era where there is an ongoing discussion about discrimination in our society. We’re really excited to be a part of this.”

Rami Abou-Khalil, architect on Team SOM, said, “We’re a team that brings so many perspectives to the table and that’s the kind of team that a project like this needs. We showcase a diversity of skills.

“This memorial is so special this year because we are in the middle of a global conversation of equity about representation, about justice, and I think this memorial articulates questions of fairness, and intersectionality so well,” Abou-Khalil said.

The teams have until August 2021 to complete their designs. The competition jury includes experts in visual arts, landscape architecture, architecture and urban design, as well as LGBT Purge survivors, representatives from other key groups, and other experts.

Public feedback will then be invited. The monument is scheduled to be completed by 2025.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/five-...ment-in-ottawa

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:19 PM

Here are the 5 candidates for the LGBTQ2+ National Monument in Ottawa
Social Sharing

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...T6A13JpFxlVUfg

Team Durling

Team MASS

Team OnCommon Ground

Team SOM

Team Wreford

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:24 PM

More images and details on the Government website
https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...nt-lgbtq2.html

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:46 PM

Hmmm, I think that they are all kind of good.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:16 PM
inner city

I'd go with "Team OnCommon Ground", as it looks like it has functional event/gathering space, and I dig the lights.

There isn't anything I can take seriously in that "Team SOM" rendering and description in the link. We don't need any more useless poles with some whimsical designer tribute drivel.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
I'd go with "Team OnCommon Ground", as it looks like it has functional event/gathering space, and I dig the lights.

There isn't anything I can take seriously in that "Team SOM" rendering and description in the link. We don't need any more useless poles with some whimsical designer tribute drivel.
I'm not a fan of OnCommon. Their concept relies heavily on tall mature trees that dont exist currently, and we all know how unreliable urban trees are in longevity (O-train stations trees didnt even make it 1 year) and it would take more than a decade to achieve the height in the rendering.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 6:25 PM

I like that they tried to incorporate water in the MASS proposal, but a large fountain is hard to maintain. I wish in Ottawa we had something like Princess Diana's fountain in London, which is endless fun for kids.

I'd go with OnCommon too.

I understand the issue with trees, but a stand of scotch pine will be tall before you know it, and will look great here.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 8:02 PM

I think the team Durling and MASS options suit the space best. OneCommon works if the trees can be implemented as promised.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 1:37 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Public input sought on LGBTQ2+ National Monument designs
The monument is championed and funded by the not-for-profit LGBT Purge Fund.

Bruce Deachman, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Nov 16, 2021 • 52 minutes ago • 1 minute read

Members of the public are now able to vote on five design concepts that have been shortlisted for the LGBTQ2+ National Monument that will be built alongside the Ottawa River, between the Library and Archives Canada building on Wellington Street and Portage Bridge.

Championed and funded by the not-for-profit LGBT Purge Fund, the monument will tell the story of Canada’s LGBTQ2+ people who were “persecuted, abused, dismissed and marginalized” because of how they identified themselves.

“While recognizing enduring injury and injustice, the LGBTQ2+ National Monument will educate, memorialize, celebrate and inspire,” said a statement issued Monday by the Department of Canadian Heritage, a partner on the project. “It will be guided by principles of inclusion, Indigeneity, visibility and timelessness.”

From the 1950s to the mid-‘90s, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender members of the Canadian Armed Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Canadian federal public service were systematically discriminated against and often fired as a matter of government policy, in what became known as the LGBT Purge.

Three years ago, a class-action settlement was reached between survivors and the Canadian government. Some of the funds from that settlement were earmarked for memorialization and commemoration, with the LGBTQ2+ National Monument being financed exclusively with funds that would have been paid to victims of the Purge who died before they could receive a settlement. The monument, a joint project involving the LGBT Purge Fund, Canadian Heritage and the National Capital Commission, is expected to be completed in 2025.

Design concepts, descriptions and a short video about each of the five finalists can be viewed at https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...nt-lgbtq2.html . The deadline for responses is Nov. 28.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...nument-designs

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 1:03 PM

I like the Team OnCommon Ground one, but I have major doubts about the trees. Most of the time in Ottawa trees are planted and forgotten about! So they die and then don't get replaced. Though NCC seems take a bit better care of trees imo, so who knows.

Otherwise I really like Team Mass.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
I like the Team OnCommon Ground one, but I have major doubts about the trees. Most of the time in Ottawa trees are planted and forgotten about! So they die and then don't get replaced. Though NCC seems take a bit better care of trees imo, so who knows.

Otherwise I really like Team Mass.
We also have to make a distinction between trees planted 2m away from main roads, surrounded by concrete and covered in salt... and trees planted in a "park" setting. The area for the monument is kind of secluded, away from the street. I think they would survive if not for the beavers. (at least 5 nice new maple trees were cut recently by beavers along the new river landscaping)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:28 PM

Revealed: Here's what the LGBTQ2S+ national monument will look like
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/reveal...like-1.5832149

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:41 PM

It looks Fantastic.....errrr...Fabulous!

I like how they chose a proposal that best mixes monument with event space.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 5:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I wonder if they are providing a mounting point for a mirrored disco ball up inside the top of the structure?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Design unveiled for National 2SLGBTQI+ monument near Portage Bridge
Construction is expected to begin this summer with an official unveiling in 2025.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 22, 2023 • 1 minute read

Standing 11 metres tall and eight metres in diameter, Canada’s new National 2SLGBTQI+ monument will have pride of place alongside a symbolic sugar maple tree near the intersection of the Portage Bridge and Wellington Street.

The National Capital Commission unveiled artists’ renderings of the monument Thursday at its June board meeting as it granted federal land use approval for the project.

The monument, designed by Team Wreford of Winnipeg, symbolizes a soaring thundercloud. It stems from the landmark $145-million settlement by the federal government of a class-action lawsuit against it by members of the 2SLGBTQI+ community in the Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP and federal public service who were systemically harassed and discriminated against and, in many cases, fired between the 1950s and 1990s. The settlement, in 2018, came a year after the government apologized for what was known as the LGBT Purge.

Money from the settlement will fund the $8-million monument.

“The Monument will be a visible landmark that will recognize the generations of 2SLGBTQI+ people in Canada and tell the story of those who have been persecuted, abused, dismissed and marginalized because of whom they desire and how they identify,” the NCC said in its presentation of the plan.

Construction is expected to begin this summer with an official unveiling in 2025.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...portage-bridge

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:27 PM

That is one dumbed down version of the winning design. Before people get to vote for the winner, maybe the NCC should ask the competitors to submit their final dumb down version from the get-go, cause this could have changed my vote.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:30 PM
Registered Loser

I am soooo annoyed at the excessive amount of monuments in the capital. This area will literally have nothing but monuments! Its a monument graveyard in one of the most pedestrian unfriendly places in the city.,

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:32 PM
Registered Loser

Can the NCC for the love of god do something with the parking lots behind parliament and the supreme court? Talk about wasted space

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBuoy View Post
Can the NCC for the love of god do something with the parking lots behind parliament and the supreme court? Talk about wasted space
Perhaps a monument to the war on cars?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues