HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Yeah, not close it off to car traffic but take up more of the street and add in a good buffer of trees (and something 'softer' like crushed granite rather than concrete or asphalt). Champs has maybe a 2:3:2 ratio of pedestrian to car traffic allotment of its width (just looking at it from above in Google maps satellite view).
don't forget the silly number of ambulances that use michigan ave every day to get to northwestern hospital campus.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Plan Commission approves a 99-unit mixed-income, mixed-use building at 4308 S. Calumet in #Bronzeville. The 10-story, transit-oriented development known as #43Green will include 50 affordable units, 49 market-rate units, and 24 parking spaces. #INVESTSouthWest
Been waiting for this one's approval. Glad that the newer revision includes murals along the base

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:48 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
don't forget the silly number of ambulances that use michigan ave every day to get to northwestern hospital campus.
right, all the more reason for a bus lane (which the ambulance can also use).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Plan Commission approves a 99-unit mixed-income, mixed-use building at 4308 S. Calumet in #Bronzeville. The 10-story, transit-oriented development known as #43Green will include 50 affordable units, 49 market-rate units, and 24 parking spaces. #INVESTSouthWest
This is awesome but are these the latest renderings? I've also seen renderings showing a ho-hum 8-story version, I assumed this was a VE move.

Buildings are significantly cheaper if less than 80' since certain highrise requirements do not apply. 8 stories is the max you can fit in an 80' building so architects/developers often aim to come in just below this threshold where the cost/SF jumps up.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is awesome but are these the latest renderings? I've also seen renderings showing a ho-hum 8-story version, I assumed this was a VE move.

Buildings are significantly cheaper if less than 80' since certain highrise requirements do not apply. 8 stories is the max you can fit in an 80' building so architects/developers often aim to come in just below this threshold where the cost/SF jumps up.
Those renderings are from the plan commission meeting today, so they should be the latest. They increased the height of the building to 10 stories (~106 ft)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Got the images from the planning department's Twitter page and this is what was presented/approved by the city.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:33 PM
TL;DR

OK that's good to hear. I think this will be the tallest building on the South Side (apart from Hyde Park) to go up in awhile. There are a few highrises scattered along King Drive and Cottage Grove, some on Drexel but nothing since the 1980s I think.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:58 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah this is pretty cool

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:49 AM

The Forum is basically across the street from this. I know there was a group or 2 trying to renovate it back into its old glory. Any word on luck for them? I believe it was added to the National Register of Historic Places around a year ago.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:55 AM

The owner of the Forum is currently trying to raise funds to complete the roof renovation:

https://secure.givelively.org/donate...fund-the-forum

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:26 PM

next to ParkLine

Jan 11

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:43 PM
TL;DR

Wow, that random brickwork on the spandrels is an... interesting choice

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:46 PM
The City

I’m definitely encouraged by the development we are seeing in Bronzeville. I hope the momentum continues.

I’m also glad that they don’t have the same hyped up “keep out the gentrifiers!” attitude that East Woodlawn seems to have.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:50 PM

Old Republic - 307 N Michigan

Jan 11

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:13 PM

Erie st E of Clark

Jan 7

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:40 AM

Tribune rehab - 435 N Michigan

Jan 14

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 4:50 PM

Permit was issued right before the new year to convert the 5 story parking garage at 3121 N Broadway (& Barry) in Lakeview East to a 7 story residential building with 72 total units. Keeping retail on ground floor, and it will have 56 parking spaces. Yes, that means it's gaining probably around 20 feet of height.

Hirsch MPG is the architect - https://hirschmpg.com/work/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 4:54 PM
The City

^ Now that’s a winner!

Interesting, developers in Chicago still seem bullish on apartments in Chicago despite the job market, empty trains, etc. I hope their bets pay off and there is a huge turnaround in the next year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Now that’s a winner!

Interesting, developers in Chicago still seem bullish on apartments in Chicago despite the job market, empty trains, etc. I hope their bets pay off and there is a huge turnaround in the next year
For sure it will be interesting. However, realize that a lot of the industries that are being killed off in various cities currently are mainly retail, hospitality, and restaurant. Retail and restaurant have downsized of course, and also moved online. Not all jobs have gone away, but a lot have.

Obviously, this is not good but in terms of this specific conversation I think it's important. While there have certainly been some losses in the "white collar, work from home" jobs, it is not that much in most cities comparatively. Many of these places are even hiring and expanding work force from numbers a year ago (we are, for example in numerous cities and other companies too).

The types of developments that have gone up in Chicago in the last decade, for the most part, are going to be geared mainly towards people in those types of jobs. Obviously not always the case that someone in retail/hospitality/restaurant cannot afford it but on average it's not going to be the case.

Some of these companies have already gone to full work from home, and others might do it still but I think come summer we'll see people going back to the office in larger capacity in various cities. Downtown - who knows what will happen. My guess is in a year or so, things will look a little more normal again. From what I can see though, people are investing in other neighborhoods now especially as they don't need to be right next to their office. There's a reason why downtown doesn't have a ton of properties being sold above their list price for the last number of months, but areas like Edgewater, Portage Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson park, Lakeview, and various parts of the South Side (near Midway, Morgan Park, Auburn Gresham, etc) have seen many properties selling for above their list prices.

Basically, cities like Chicago, NYC, LA, etc will continue to get even more "white collar" from what's happened since March. In no way am I saying that's a good thing, but also I'm sure we'll see those other industries definitely rebound when people think it's safe to basically spend all day outside. My guess for that is beginning sometime in the summer. Then it'll take a bit for an actual rebound after that - summer 2022?

Again, not saying any of this is good but I'm providing a justification for some developments still going up in various parts of town and other cities. There's also an overrating of assuming people who can work from home will basically abandon and work in anywhere USA. A lot of people still want to have the option of living in a place with certain amenities. A handful of my coworkers in NYC have told me they wanted to move to Chicago now, and we are also looking to move back sometime this year.

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 24, 2021 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
From talking with friends it seems people in these white collar jobs realize that their companies will need to be more flexible about working remote, but love the city life and especially the 5 months of great weather we get. Some are moving to places like Denver but I think a lot realize that Chicago is relatively cheap and a 2-3 hour flight to most anywhere in the country, and during the other months they could afford to get away for weeks at a time in an Airbnb in Denver, California, or Florida once travel goes back to normal (honestly even now...)
Chicago should be marketing even more towards people who can work remotely from anywhere but still want some sort of city life, and also companies who can be hybrid and want to cut costs on office space. Most of the co-workers in NYC of mine who have told me they're toying with a move to Chicago are ones who still want some semblance of city life but now realize that having 50 restaurants around is completely adequate versus 250 around if it means halving their rent/mortgage.

At the same time, it would be smart for cities like Dallas to build up their urbanity. Not a NYC level but something in the middle like places in Chicago. Those places have a big opportunity in terms of that, but will they do it even more? In Chicago, I think you'll continue to see the not so cheap (mid level and above) places being built. Maybe reduced, but still being built.

If you take a look at the areas hardest hit with employment reduction, it's the ones with a lot of tourism, hospitality, etc regardless of climate for the most part. Chicago is up there but not the top. The recovery stage will be interesting for those industries. Just FYI - November 19 - November 20 Employment Population Reduction by MSA. From worst to "best":

Las Vegas MSA: -10.47%
Boston MSA: -10.15%
Orlando MSA: -9.40%
NYC MSA: -9.31%
Los Angeles MSA: -9.19%
Miami MSA: -8.65%
Chicago MSA: -8.00%
San Francisco MSA: -7.67%
Honolulu MSA: -7.02%
Baltimore MSA: -6.89%
DC MSA: -6.82%
New Orleans MSA: -6.61%
Pittsburgh MSA: -6.23%
Philadelphia MSA: -5.74%
Houston MSA: -5.63%
Cleveland: -5.58%
St. Louis MSA: -5.48%
Charlotte MSA: -5.33%
Raleigh MSA: -5.26%
San Antonio MSA: -4.99%
San Diego MSA: -4.90%
Minneapolis MSA: -4.83%
Detroit MSA: -4.77%
Seattle MSA: -4.73%
Tampa MSA: -4.50%
San Jose MSA: -4.37%
Jacksonville MSA: -4.25%
Denver MSA: -3.78%
Columbus, OH MSA: -3.68%
Portland MSA: -3.66%
Dallas MSA: -3.63%
Phoenix MSA: -3.58%
Kansas City MSA: -3.28%
Atlanta MSA: -2.59%
Cincinnati MSA: -2.50%
Austin MSA: -2.44%
Milwaukee MSA: -1.37%
Oklahoma City MSA: -1.27%
Indianapolis MSA: -1.14%
Nashville MSA: -0.64%
Memphis MSA: -0.29%

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development