HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Let's take a closer look.

detail

hmm. . .I guess the diagonal board has nothing to do with the pipes on the ground.

And. . .hmm. . .the diagonal board, that appears to be attached to a wire, is stabilizing the tree. (?)
The wire continues to the top-right corner of the detail view, so I'm guessing that it tethered a utility pole. I'm sure that the board was just there to stop people walking into the wire, or at least reduce the impact. Nowadays they just put plastic or metal tubes around the base of the wires up to a height of about seven feet.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:

Have any of you noirisher heard of the Sweet and Lowe Convalescent Home?

eBay

The name "Sweet and Lowe" doesn't ring any bells....It's unique enough I think I would have remembered it.

There is something written in white at the very bottom of the photograph. (no doubt from the negative)

Here is the reverse.

April 20, 1912

The writer's house is being moved.... There was alot of house moving going on in Los Angeles back in the day.

Henriette Sweet and Jennie Lowe were partners in the sanitarium--it only opened in 1910, so didn't last long. Looks like they went their separate ways after the building was sold? and moved. Sweet was next listed at 1805 W 5th St, but if the building was moved there, it's gone. On a quick look couldn't find any BPs to trace its movement.

"Prince" John Edward R. de Guelph, who imagined himself the rightful heir to the British throne, lived there once. Thought we'd seen him on NLA before, but couldn't dig him up.

Herald Jan 29, 1911 and July 28, 1911

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
Well, he left you a wonderful record of family "goings-on' and we are very grateful you shared them with us.

I Googled your grandfather and read about the Sheenway Schools. I am in Chicago and had never heard of them. A fantastic concept and sorely needed today.

You certainly have an interesting family!
Thank you Jim, i'm glad to share them! He really wanted Sheenway to be successful, and it lasted out here in LA till 2010 or so. The local school district took over the charter and tore down the buildings, and built a new facility that better serves the community. For years there was a mural of him along with all that helped with the schools history. When they built the new facility, they installed a new one with several of my relatives..it's sometimes weird being stuck on the 110 freeway and seeing your Grandfather and Aunt on the side of a building

When my Grandfather passed (1976ish) my Aunt Delores kept the school alive. She is still active in the community, and like all Sheen's had an entertaining bug in her. Her son, Erin Blunt was in the original "Bad News Bears" and a host of other things. She has been in "Friday After Next", and more recently a Subaru commercial where we think she's a little girl but in the end, she turns into a Grandmother who "Loves spending time with the Grandkids". She also was a founding member of the vocal group "A Taste of Honey", she dropped out to pursue a nursing degree(see Candy pics).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Maybe Zanja and Washington Blvd were open trenches in the 19th Century??

Google Maps - hosted by me

Some interesting business names on this map:

The Corner Door
Hatchet Hall (This place looks new and upscale, but the name is off-putting to me for a restaurant.)
Paco's Tacos
Alibi Room (That sounds familiar, that may have been discussed here previously.)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:52 AM

Hello. I am the author of the book about Randsburg, as well as the in-depth research about Emilie Brickett/French Marguerite. I was fully aware that Marguerite had visited Los Angeles. Evidence pointed to her being released from the asylum between late 1900 to 1902, whereupon she headed for Randsburg where her favorite sister lived. I have secured actual documents showing that she did indeed leave the asylum. Also, as I had already guessed, the reason given in the news was that she had epilepsy was a ruse. She was committed for other reasons. I have been in contact with a number of Emily/Marguerite's living relatives, as well as step-family members of Marguerite's son, August Roberts/Jarick. all who emailed or phoned me, confirming my evidence as true. They have also given me a copy of the only known photo of Emily/Marguerite. Due to the real reasons behind her committal, I have promised that I would not release that information publicly. I also have a certified copy of Emily/Marguerite's death certificate.

Quote:
re: I now have three different locations for the Atlas Hotel.

lapl

(as seen down the street in Hoss' photograph
lapl

and the 124 1/2 N. Spring Street address in the article below.

But this post is more about Mrs. Roberts, the woman the W.C.T.U. ran out of town on a rail. (article above)

Remember, at the time, Mrs. Roberts was in Los Angeles trying to lure girls to Randsburg Calif to work at her 'dance' hall.

"Mrs. Roberts operated her establishment under the name of “My Place Dance Hall,” sometimes known as “The Oasis,”
and right next door was her saloon. I’m sure it is fairly easy for you to figure out that Marguerite was a madam
who ran this as a “bawdy house,” which caused much consternation among the more “decent” town folk."
from CindyN11

Marguerite's dance hall still stands.

gsv

"The Randsburg Inn, formerly the Commercial Hotel, and at one time the My Place Dance Hall."

during my search I came upon Mrs. Roberts' tombstone in the Rand District Cemetery. (I wasn't expecting this)

explore forums

Surprisingly, she died less than three years after her procuring trip to L.A.

But was 'Marguerite' really French?

"The majority of “soiled doves” lied, fabricated and twisted the truth about who they were and where they came from.
They rarely used their real names and often were just known by nicknames. During this era the crème de la crème
of the dance halls, bawdy & parlour houses and brothels were French women, most likely due to the popularity of erotic French Postcards.
French “sporting women” commanded a higher price for their services, so, as a consequence, many a home-grown American floozy
moved to new pastures, recreated themselves and became a ‘French’ courtesan."

CindyN11

Cindy at explore forums believes 'Marguerite' Roberts was actually Emily Brickett of San Bernardino....not from France as stated in her obituary.
(in 1892 she became Emily Jarrick after marrying August H. Jarrick in San Bernardino)

But in my opinion, Cindy's theory has a slight problem. Emily Jarrick was committed to an asylum by her husband in 1900.
Yet the newspaper article I found (while looking for the Atlas Hotel) has 'Marguerite' Roberts in Los Angeles in 1904.
So I'm not entirely convinced Marguerite Roberts and Emily Jarrick are the same person.
(of course she could have been released from the asylum by 1904, but still )

If interested, you can read all of Cindy's research here: Explore Forum

(as far I can tell, she is unaware of Mrs. Roberts' trip to L.A. in 1904)

__

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the additional information CindyNunn11. ...I really appreciate it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:10 AM

Here's an interesting rppc currently on eBay

"Los Angeles CA Southern Counties Gas Co Wagon c1910 RPPC"

eBay

. . . and here's the reverse.

Here's a closer look at the three men and the wagon. (sorry, horse)

detail

That look like a camera in the wagon.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 30, 2020 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:38 AM

Meanwhile, around the corner at Lemon Grove and Serrano... The Lemon Grove Kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkc7vzF6X14

Quote:
mystery snapshot.

"MAGIC MIRROR in DOOR w REFLECTION TRIPOD CAMERA MAN & BOYS ~ 1960s VINTAGE PHOTO"

eBay

I faintly recall the exterior of this unique photography studio but the name Lemon Grove Studio doesn't ring a bell for me. . .
. .but if I were to make a guess I'd say this studio is somewhere along Sunset Blvd.

Here's the reverse.

not much help clue wise

Here's a closer look at the man and boys.

I wonder if the man with the tripod works at Lemon Grove Studio?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Thanks Martin and Jim. I was lucky enough to know all the folks in the pictures except my grandfather. He was first married to Zora Neal Hurston who he went to Howard University with. Granny was a rebound and the marriage wasn't a happy one(divorced in 1955). The kids we're spoiled to say the least and Granny had to work overtime at Bullocks DT just in case the kids brought over someone for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. Here are some around the house pics.

unihikid--I was struck by this detail in your grandfather's bio and have been wondering about ZNH and her connection to Hollywood. I looked for a pic of her in LA--found nothing really, but there's a good bit online about her filmmaking days. Apparently she also worked as a script consultant for Paramount for a short time ca 1941. Wonder if Dr. Sheen saw anything of her then, if he was in Calif by that time?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
Meanwhile, around the corner at Lemon Grove and Serrano... The Lemon Grove Kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkc7vzF6X14

That young girl above is pretty well endowed for a kid, heh! I clicked the link and was assuming this was animated from the photo, but it's just the credits. It's three short films resembling the The East Side Kids, especially Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall. The first is copyrighted 1967, and the other two 1969. Interesting to say the least!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
unihikid--I was struck by this detail in your grandfather's bio and have been wondering about ZNH and her connection to Hollywood. I looked for a pic of her in LA--found nothing really, but there's a good bit online about her filmmaking days. Apparently she also worked as a script consultant for Paramount for a short time ca 1941. Wonder if Dr. Sheen saw anything of her then, if he was in Calif by that time?

Thanks GW, i didn't know she spent time out here during the 40's. Papa moved the family from Tyler Texas in the spring of 1945 (we have a picture of the 38 Oldsmobile pulling an airsteam type trailer), so i don't think he made it in time for her. To be honest, we didn't find out about the marriage until the early 90's. The LA Times ran an article about her and dad called Aunt Delores, who was closer to Papa to ask about it, and even she didn't know.

We later found a few correspondences, that we gave to i believe Florida State University. It was right around the time of the divorce, so 55-56. She was going through a hard time, and i think he was sending her money from time to time. Since it was connected to the divorce, none of the kids wanted the reminder, and felt they belonged to FSU (I could of used them on a great show and tell project during my 11th grade year). From what everyone has said, she was the one that got away. We also found out that she kept in touch with Papa's relatives (The Chicago Sheen's) who i have yet to meet.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

November, 1921

November, 1924

LAPL Menu Collection Link: HERE
I adore the full dinner prices back then, 2-3 dollars per person? Put it in year of 2020 for at least 20-30 dollars per person.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
[CENTER]Happy Thanksgiving!

LAPL Menu Collection Link: HERE
^^^
The two 1926 menus above say beer is served. Is this near beer (legal) or are they in violation of the Volstead Act?

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 1, 2020 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
I adore the full dinner prices back then, 2-3 dollars per person? Put it in year of 2020 for at least 20-30 dollars per person.
My grandfather told me that prior 1920, for the price of a glass of beer (sometimes only a nickle) many bars and restaurants served free platters of meats, cheeses and breads and you could eat unlimited quantities. Sort of like our "happy hour", but better. I can't vouch for the quality of the meat and cheese, but it satisfied Gramps.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:14 AM

The Colegrove 'Arch'

"Antique c1915 Original Cabinet Photograph Original Colegrove Los Angeles Hollywood CA Home Bush Arch"

eBay

For newbies / and as a reminder - Colegrove was just south of Hollywood.

kcet

Photographer stamp on reverse side offers photographer and location and reads H.G. Bliss, Phone Holly 755, Colegrove, Cal.

detail

I looked through numerous Los Angeles Directories but never found a H. J. Bliss.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:25 AM

I don't believe we have seen this early illustration of Old Chinatown. (1885)

wikiwand

At first I thought the overhang was sagging - but now I think it was built that way. (as an Asian flourish)

What was Archduke Ludwig Salvator of Austria doing in Los Angeles?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:39 AM

SOLVED

mystery location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

The Hope Apartments -

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 22 November 1913

Built in 1906 and demolished circa 1974.
Thanks Noir Noir. I overlooked the written address.

SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Henriette Sweet and Jennie Lowe were partners in the sanitarium--it only opened in 1910, so didn't last long. Looks like they went their separate ways after the building was sold?
and moved. Sweet was next listed at 1805 W 5th St, but if the building was moved there, it's gone. On a quick look couldn't find any BPs to trace its movement.

Herald Jan 29, 1911 and July 28, 1911

Good sleuthing, GW. I appreciate it.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 1, 2020 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:56 AM

Babe Ruth arrives on the Los Angeles Limited and is welcomed by the Wampus Baby Stars of 1927.

eBay (from quite some time ago / perhaps a year)

Go Here to see the baby stars touching Ruth's Big Bat.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:

I looked through numerous Los Angeles Directories but never found a H. J. Bliss.

rescarta.lapl.org

Two excerpts from a Los Angeles Herald (5 November 1908) story.

RUSHES INTO BLAZING BARN, SAVES CHILD

"Manza Daniels, a mail carrier of Hollywood became the hero of a thrilling rescue of a child from an awful death by fire. Vernon Bliss, the beautiful 3-year-old son of H. G. Bliss, a photographer, narrowly escaped the terrible fate of being burned alive in a fire that the child had set and which consumed his father's barn and photographic studio at the rear of the residence at 747 El Centro Street. Colegrove, despite the fact that the Hollywood fire department quickly responded to the alarm. Daniels had been calling on some friends in the vicinity of the Bliss home and was passing the place when his attention was attracted by the voice of a child singing to the accompaniment of crackling flames. The man entered the yard, and as he turned the corner of the house he was transfixed with horror to see the child sitting with his little bare feet swinging out of the upper window of the hayloft and the red tongues of flames reaching up toward him from the lower part of the building."

"A look at the child showed he was severely burned about the face, but Daniels' face and hands scarcely bore a mark, owing to his presence of mind in covering himself with his coat. The child also suffered from having inhaled smoke. Fire was carried by the wind to outbuildings In the vicinity and considerable damage resulted before it was extinguished. The Bliss child had been left in the care of his elder brother while the other members of the family were away from home. In some way the little one had obtained some matches and set fire to the building as a method of diversion during his loneliness. After he had the blaze comfortably under way, he decided it would be fun to ascend to the loft and there enjoy the bonfire he had started. So well pleased was Vernon with his idea and the progress of the blaze that he burst into the song which attracted the attention off the rescuer. The loss to the building and photographic material is estimated by Mr. Bliss at $400. He loses two valuable cameras, a large number of highly prized negatives and considerable photographic supplies. Vernon has decided that bonfires are no good and declares he will eschew such frivolities In the future. Mr. Daniels modestly denies any heroism and says he is not a candidate for a Carnegie medal for bravery."

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 5 November 1908

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I don't believe we have seen this early illustration of Old Chinatown. (1885)

wikiwand

At first I thought the overhang was sagging - but now I think it was built that way. (as an Asian flourish)

What was Archduke Ludwig Salvator of Austria doing in Los Angeles?

e_r, the Archduke spent the winter of 1876 in the Los Angeles area, and in 1878 published a book, in German, with a few illustrations, on his visit. This book was translated into English and published in 1929 (and I myself have a copy . . . somewhere in my archives).

image from https://www.walkaboutbooks.net/pages...he-golden-land

More on the interesting and foreseeing Archduke at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archdu...tor_of_Austria

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos