HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:55 PM

I just hope that the maps that OC posts at the stations are clear. I have been to enough different cities with mass transit that line numbers can be confusing.

If I am going from Pimisi to Rideau... I can take either train. Not just 1 or 3. But 1 and 3.

I can see how line numbers can be confusing for people who don't leave the Lincoln Split.

Also - will all trains go to Trim?

Hopefully they leave something open for 1 to go from Algonquin to Blair, and 3 from Moodie to Trim. Seems like Trim will have lots of service especially in the evenings.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I just hope that the maps that OC posts at the stations are clear. I have been to enough different cities with mass transit that line numbers can be confusing.

If I am going from Pimisi to Rideau... I can take either train. Not just 1 or 3. But 1 and 3.

I can see how line numbers can be confusing for people who don't leave the Lincoln Split.

Also - will all trains go to Trim?

Hopefully they leave something open for 1 to go from Algonquin to Blair, and 3 from Moodie to Trim. Seems like Trim will have lots of service especially in the evenings.
At this time, it seems all eastbound trains head all the way to Trim.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:40 PM

I agree that it's crucial for OCT to invest in its maps and information displays once Stage 2 is complete to avoid causing confusion.

I also hope the signs at station entrances displaying the station name will be replaced to reflect the fact that multiple lines will serve those stations (e.g. at Rideau, signs will need to be updated to display Lines 1 and 3). Seems like a no-brainer, but you never know...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
I agree that it's crucial for OCT to invest in its maps and information displays once Stage 2 is complete to avoid causing confusion.

I also hope the signs at station entrances displaying the station name will be replaced to reflect the fact that multiple lines will serve those stations (e.g. at Rideau, signs will need to be updated to display Lines 1 and 3). Seems like a no-brainer, but you never know...
I don't doubt that they will. The swapped the info signs in all stations to reflect that Line 2 is closed, I don't think they'll this slip.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:31 PM

My partner and I were having dinner on Elgin Sunday. Very little traffic in the city. We see one articulated bus go by, packed! A few seconds later, another articulated, nearly empty. Even with the absolute best conditions, bus service in the urban core is still completely unpredictable.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
My partner and I were having dinner on Elgin Sunday. Very little traffic in the city. We see one articulated bus go by, packed! A few seconds later, another articulated, nearly empty. Even with the absolute best conditions, bus service in the urban core is still completely unpredictable.
A case of bus bunching maybe?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
A case of bus bunching maybe?
For sure, that's what it was. I don't understand how OC can claim 90%+ on time performance when 90% of the time, based on my observations, urban bus routes are bunched together.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:39 AM

Quote:
For sure, that's what it was. I don't understand how OC can claim 90%+ on time performance when 90% of the time, based on my observations, urban bus routes are bunched together.
In part, because they only measure on-time performance during morning rush hour.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
In part, because they only measure on-time performance during morning rush hour.
I wasn't aware of this. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Sometimes I feel like the Transit Commissioners are so close to asking the right questions, but just don't quite get there or are interrupted by Hubley.

I really want one of them to ask "Mr. Manconi, you have stated that we are not considering service cuts at this time, which I agree with. However, will OC Transpo work on modifying service to reduce peak period commuter service aimed at downtown office workers (i.e. routes that have experienced the greatest ridership drop) and increase all-day service on routes that have experienced the lowest ridership drop. By adjusting service in this way, is there
an opportunity to increase ridership, reduce crowding, and increase fare collection."

I mean, we're bleeding money, but can we at least bleed money in a way that is trying to build ridership on routes that have growth potential during and after the pandemic?
Glen Gower posted an interesting video on why isn't the city cutting back on OC Transpo service. Obviously his specific examples are Stittsville centric, but the general discussion valid for any part of the city. Well worth a watch IMHO.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Glen Gower posted an interesting video on why isn't the city cutting back on OC Transpo service. Obviously his specific examples are Stittsville centric, but the general discussion valid for any part of the city. Well worth a watch IMHO.

Video Link
Thanks for posting this.

I added a comment:

Quote:
Hi Glen, thanks for posting this. I agree with the rationale for continuing to provide service and I don't support cuts. However, I wonder if this should be used as an opportunity to improve the all-day bus network that is used by essential workers and folks who rely on transit.

Even with low ridership, there are still some peak suburban buses (like the 200 series) coming every 8 or 10 minutes. Meanwhile, some all-day routes (like the 96 that serves employment areas) run only every 60 minutes mid-day. Surely there is an opportunity to rationalize the suburban peak service somewhat (say to every 15 minutes maximum) and enhance all-day service where it is lacking?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:30 AM

In discussing what to do about service reductions re: covid, I don't think I've ever seen the fact that many routes are already running at reduced levels of service come up.

The winter service changes were announced recently and they include the restoration of trips across a wide range of routes -- mainly within the greenbelt (thank goodness the 6 is on there!) but also a few Connexion routes as well. Even with those restorations, there are still routes running at lower frequencies.

https://www.octranspo.com/en/plan-yo...rvice-changes/

The service changes also including some rerouting, the reopening of Rideau St, and the final implementation of the Better Bus Stops program on Innes.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
In discussing what to do about service reductions re: covid, I don't think I've ever seen the fact that many routes are already running at reduced levels of service come up.

The winter service changes were announced recently and they include the restoration of trips across a wide range of routes -- mainly within the greenbelt (thank goodness the 6 is on there!) but also a few Connexion routes as well. Even with those restorations, there are still routes running at lower frequencies.

https://www.octranspo.com/en/plan-yo...rvice-changes/

The service changes also including some rerouting, the reopening of Rideau St, and the final implementation of the Better Bus Stops program on Innes.
I was disappointed to see it scaled back. There's basically no changes in the westbound direction.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 10:38 PM

OC Transpo will be getting 4 New Flyer electric buses to enter service next fall.

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...23534165979147

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:21 PM

Sounds like they’re going with the Xcelsior Charge: https://www.newflyer.com/buses/xcelsior-charge/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:17 PM

A few questions:

What was the sole sourced bus that was recommended by Manconi two (?) years ago?
What was the cost of that sole source purchase?
What's the cost of this new purchase?

Are we in a better position now than we would have been if we had listened to Manconi?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
A few questions:

What was the sole sourced bus that was recommended by Manconi two (?) years ago?

Are we in a better position now than we would have been if we had listened to Manconi?
We try not to ask those types of questions around here. Obviously, without checking, I'm going to assume its at least 50% more expensive now.

Thank God for Watson not interfering this time with electric bus rollout.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
A few questions:

They were [the short-range?] Nova Buses (that were demoed here a couple of years ago) that would have cost $6 million for two buses + related infrastructure.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...hase-1.5181400

I'm wondering if "secured funding" (in the tweet) means that the city secured additional funding on top of the $6 million that was set aside for this pilot, so it's really unclear how big of a purchase this will be.

Through the procurement process I think OC Transpo also asked for long-range models instead of short-range. I don't know for certain if the sole-sourced nova buses would have been short-range, but I think it's likely because that's what was demoed here and Nova's long-range model is relatively new vs New Flyer's who has a number already in service.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
They were [the short-range?] Nova Buses (that were demoed here a couple of years ago) that would have cost $6 million for two buses + related infrastructure.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...hase-1.5181400

I'm wondering if "secured funding" (in the tweet) means that the city secured additional funding on top of the $6 million that was set aside for this pilot, so it's really unclear how big of a purchase this will be.

Through the procurement process I think OC Transpo also asked for long-range models instead of short-range. I don't know for certain if the sole-sourced nova buses would have been short-range, but I think it's likely because that's what was demoed here and Nova's long-range model is relatively new vs New Flyer's who has a number already in service.
We don't know the cost, but this is probably a better purchase when considering operations.

In any case, I hope that from now on, we only buy electric. Get with the times.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
A few questions:

Transit Commission wanted to tender instead, so we may have ended up with more buses for the same money... also I'm sure they were able to tap into federal funding that wasn't available before.

They've been light on details so far... it looks like New Flyer offers both quick-charge (short-range) and long-range versions. It's not clear which one they went with, or if they decided to go with a couple of each.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation