HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for sharing the photographs of your beautiful family, unihikid.

unihikid

I'm curious. .did you ever have a chance to ask your dad what song he is performing for your aunts?

Was the family Collie really named Lassie? . . or are you joshing us.

ER, i was a very inquisitive kid so i asked the same questions lol. From what i remember him telling me, it was either "All of a Sudden My Heart Sings" or "Joy to the World". When i was eight "The New Adventures of Lassie" came out (or some title like that) and i asked him if we could get a dog like that , and he proudly said "I've had several lassies, just like the Show", then pulled out several pictures of her ....we got a black lab instead (Ricky Ricardo Sheen). So yes the Sheen kids had a few collies named Lassie.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Isn't anyone else interested why "Uncle tony" got cut out of the photograph?

I've seen people do this in movies or TV shows; characters cutting out people in photographs for one reason or another, but I've never known it to be done in actual practice!
Lol well Aunt Carol who is the baby in the "dad singing" picture was the youngest of the family and had access to these pictures before me. I'm sure it was a paste-on-your-locker-scrap-book type of thing, since my uncle was in the Navy. He never got to see any action, but he did craft his piano skills. Just so he's not cut out from you guys, Uncle Tony is the tall one.

[url=https://postimg.cc/Ff7Y0Dbm]
im not perfect poem[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Couldn't resist finding the house-- 2642 Kenwood, built in 1907. At one time the home of real estate man Roy C. Seeley and in 1948 the home of Dr. Herbert A. Sheen. A few recent GSVs:

Feb 2020

March 2009
GW since you always do your best to describe and or show the interiors of the great homes of LA (i re-read Berkley Square all the time, Dad had vivid memories and would always try to describe it for me), here are a few color shots.

iveta vodakova
Aunt Mildred and my cousin Trena in the backroom of Kenwood 1958

Granny in the same location around the same time?

Granny and Dad (dad did the damage...it was the day he was told he was going to boarding school. St Francis) in Livingroom at Kenwood June 1955

Alright i'm done for now. But thank you again GW!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
GW since you always do your best to describe and or show the interiors of the great homes of LA (i re-read Berkley Square all the time, Dad had vivid memories and would always try to describe it for me), here are a few color shots.

iveta vodakova
Aunt Mildred and my cousin Trena in the backroom of Kenwood 1958

Granny in the same location around the same time?

Granny and Dad (dad did the damage...it was the day he was told he was going to boarding school. St Francis) in Livingroom at Kenwood June 1955

Alright i'm done for now. But thank you again GW!
Don't stop - love your photos! You are very lucky to have them and we appreciate your sharing!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Was she also Mrs. Olson, the Folger's coffee lady? And was she the housekeeper in the house atop Mt. Rushmore, who pulls a gun on Thornhill (Cary Grant) in NBNW?
The Folger's lady was Virginia Christine (who was Mrs. Fritz Feld).

The North By Northwest lady was Nora Marlowe (who was married to James McCallion, an unfamiliar name, but he also was on numerous TV series episodes).

It's interesting to look over the many single-episode credits these actresses had in TV series of the 1950-1970s! Westerns, Sci-Fi, Comedy, etc. etc. I began to list them to include here, but there are so very very many...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
Don't stop - love your photos! You are very lucky to have them and we appreciate your sharing!

I agree, JimCraig!

Thank you unihikid and for the added Lassie and "Uncle Tony" info!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:58 PM

Granny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I agree, JimCraig!

Thank you unihikid and for the added Lassie and "Uncle Tony" info!
Thanks Martin and Jim. I was lucky enough to know all the folks in the pictures except my grandfather. He was first married to Zora Neal Hurston who he went to Howard University with. Granny was a rebound and the marriage wasn't a happy one(divorced in 1955). The kids we're spoiled to say the least and Granny had to work overtime at Bullocks DT just in case the kids brought over someone for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. Here are some around the house pics.

Aunt Carol, Aunt Eugenia, Granny getting ready for a party in yard.

Aunt Delores on the right at her Grad Party in the driveway, +Woody

Beauty Party 1953 Dad in center, Aunt Eugenia on right

And in front of Kenwood with Papa's new Caddy w/Lassie

Dad, Aunt Mildred, and Aunt Carol in the back window

and an unknown location.

Dad, Aunt Delores, Mills Girl (her brother is Judge Billy Mills), Aunt Mildred and James Richards (Uncle's we're founders of the vocal group The Robin's and he later married my Aunt Mildred)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 8:34 PM

Great pictures, unihikid! And I love that Cadillac. Btw I've gone way beyond Berkeley Square...now working on my 220th Adams Boulevard house history (see this and this). I've done a few at the Adams end of your Kenwood block and have more in the hopper.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 9:14 PM

My Grandmother worked at Bullocks Downtown, sometime in 1957 she started working for the Candy Family. The first house she worked at for the Candy's was located on San Vincente in Santa Monica/Brentwood area. She also help keep the Apartment the Candy's had on Wilshire near the LA Country Club. The last location of the Candy's was in Malibu. Walter Candy (Mr. Candy) was the President of the I-Magnin/Bullocks chain. He married Kate Winnett, who's father P.G. was co-founder of Bullock's.

As a kid i always wondered why our luggage had the initials KWC, i was told it was Granny's Luggage which just got me even more confused. Well it seems when the Candy's passed away in the mid 70's, Granny was responsible for the estate as the Candy's didn't have kids. We still have the full set of Mrs. Candy Louis Vuitton Luggage (and one Hartman piece belonging to Mr. Candy) that was purchased at Bullock's Wilshire.. and i do travel with it.

Candy's Butler and Granny at Malibu Estate

[IMG][url=https://postimages.org/][/IMG]

Aunt Delores doing her Nurse Training at the Candy's

Mrs. Candy liked to drink and Granny became more of a paid friend (think Driving Mrs. Daisy)/ caregiver. She tried to get Mrs. Candy to move to the Duplex on Spaulding (only 5 miles away from Bullocks Wilshire) but the permit didn't go through.

Mr. and Mrs. Candy Malibu

Mrs. Candy

Granny working
image uploading

and last because i mentioned him earlier, P.G. Winnett.

Malibu 1964

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the photographs of your beautiful family, unihikid.

unihikid

I'm curious. .did you ever have a chance to ask your dad what song he is performing for your aunts?

Was the family Collie really named Lassie? . . or are you joshing us.

All of the Lassie collie dogs in the TV series were actually male. Here's why.

Because female collies tend to "blow coat" (go through a massive hormone-induced shedding process) with each fertility cycle. While males blow coat as well in reaction to a change in season, it is much less noticeable than what occurs with an intact female.

1955 - CBS

One Fall day I riding my bike backstage at a local LA parade, when I suddenly came face to face with Tommy Rettig [above w/Lassie boy], much to my surprise, as I had no idea he was there.

Tommy Rettig quote. ''When I found out it was my last season [1957] on "Lassie" I was ecstatic. I had gotten to the point where I really resented not being able to go out except on Saturday nights. Of course, when I did date girls their parents always trusted me because of my goody-goody TV image. The fools!''

His small size, 5'4'', made adult movie roles almost impossible to obtain. He was a brilliant computer software programmer and wrote several books on the topic.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 26, 2020 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks Martin and Jim. I was lucky enough to know all the folks in the pictures except my grandfather. He was first married to Zora Neal Hurston who he went to Howard University with. Granny was a rebound and the marriage wasn't a happy one(divorced in 1955). The kids we're spoiled to say the least and Granny had to work overtime at Bullocks DT just in case the kids brought over someone for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. Here are some around the house pics.

Aunt Carol, Aunt Eugenia, Granny getting ready for a party in yard.

Aunt Delores on the right at her Grad Party in the driveway, +Woody

Beauty Party 1953 Dad in center, Aunt Eugenia on right

And in front of Kenwood with Papa's new Caddy w/Lassie

Dad, Aunt Mildred, and Aunt Carol in the back window

and an unknown location.

Dad, Aunt Delores, Mills Girl (her brother is Judge Billy Mills), Aunt Mildred and James Richards (Uncle's we're founders of the vocal group The Robin's and he later married my Aunt Mildred)
Who was the camera bug in the family who took all these wonderful pictures?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
The Folger's lady was Virginia Christine (who was Mrs. Fritz Feld).

The North By Northwest lady was Nora Marlowe (who was married to James McCallion, an unfamiliar name, but he also was on numerous TV series episodes).

It's interesting to look over the many single-episode credits these actresses had in TV series of the 1950-1970s! Westerns, Sci-Fi, Comedy, etc. etc. I began to list them to include here, but there are so very very many...
Thanks. We see and recognize these character actors, but don't know much about them, even their names. They are the forgotten workhorses of Hollywood.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 26, 2020 at 7:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
All of the Lassie collie dogs in the TV series were actually male. Here's why.

Because female collies tend to "blow coat" (go through a massive hormone-induced shedding process) with each fertility cycle. While males blow coat as well in reaction to a change in season, it is much less noticeable than what occurs with an intact female.

1955 - CBS

One Fall day I riding my bike backstage at a local LA parade, when I suddenly came face to face with Tommy Rettig [above w/Lassie boy], much to my surprise, as I had no idea he was there.

Tommy Rettig quote. ''When I found out it was my last season [1957] on "Lassie" I was ecstatic. I had gotten to the point where I really resented not being able to go out except on Saturday nights. Of course, when I did date girls their parents always trusted me because of my goody-goody TV image. The fools!''

His small size, 5'4'', made adult movie roles almost impossible to obtain. He was a brilliant computer software programmer and wrote several books on the topic.
I thought they used males because the females were unmanageable when they went into heat, or maybe because the males were easier to train. "Blowing coat"...interesting, never knew that. I googled it and it is true. We learn things from you City Boy. I had forgotten about how rabbit meat used to be common in stores before the 1970s until you reminded us a while back.Then it went away. Where did all the rabbit eaters go? Rabbit is good for you, low fat, and quite tasty.

Didn't the woman who played "Phyllis" in the Mary Tyler Moore show (Cloris Leachman) play his (Rettig's) mom in "Lassie"? The 1960s Lassie mom was June Lockhart. I recall that Rettig also played a role in a film with Robert Mitchum & Marilyn Monroe called "The River of No Return" or something similar. He played Mitchum's son and Marilyn was a showgirl. All 3 went down the Snake River on a raft and all 3 hit it off. The Lassie boy got to meet Marilyn! Love to hear Rettig tell Marilyn stories and Mitchum stories. Bet he has a lot of stories. Marilyn Mitchum...that would have been a power couple. But Mitch probably didn't want to p.o. Joe D.

Noirishers have a Happy T'giving.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 26, 2020 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:10 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

November, 1921

November, 1924

LAPL Menu Collection Link: HERE

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:58 PM

Cool menus, Martin. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone as well.

Have any of you noirisher heard of the Sweet and Lowe Convalescent Home?

eBay

The name "Sweet and Lowe" doesn't ring any bells....It's unique enough I think I would have remembered it.

There is something written in white at the very bottom of the photograph. (no doubt from the negative)

Here is the reverse.

April 20, 1912

The writer's house is being moved.... There was alot of house moving going on in Los Angeles back in the day.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 27, 2020 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:45 PM

mystery location

This amazing rppc of an apartment building in Los Angeles was just listed on eBay.

eBay

Here is the reverse. (postmark 1915)

I believe the long, underlined word at the bottom, on the right side, might be the name of the apt. building.

I was curious about what was going on streetside.

Let's take a closer look.

detail

hmm. . .I guess the diagonal board has nothing to do with the pipes on the ground. The little bridge made me think of the zanjas that used to supply water.
My guess is; they're planning on burying the pipes to replace the 'open air' zanja.

Or maybe that isn't a zanja at all. . .it might just be a slight ditch.

And. . .hmm. . .the diagonal board, that appears to be attached to a wire, is stabilizing the tree. (?)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 27, 2020 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig View Post
Who was the camera bug in the family who took all these wonderful pictures?
I'm thinking my grandfather (Papa aka Dr. Herbert Sheen). I found most of these photos at my grandmother's property and since she really didn't throw anything away, and i didn't find any cameras, it just leads me to believe it was Papa (he's also noticeably absent in most photos).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 1:57 AM

Quote:
hmm. . .I guess the diagonal board has nothing to do with the pipes on the ground. The little bridge made me think of the zanjas that used to supply water.
My guess is; they're planning on burying the pipes to replace the 'open air' zanja.

Or maybe that isn't a zanja at all. . .it might just be a slight ditch.
All this zanja talk reminds me of the oddly crooked Zanja Street in Mar Vista that comes off of west Washington Blvd.
The street is old - it's on pre-1900 maps of the area.
Maybe Zanja and Washington Blvd were open trenches in the 19th Century??

Google Maps - hosted by me

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking my grandfather (Papa aka Dr. Herbert Sheen). I found most of these photos at my grandmother's property and since she really didn't throw anything away, and i didn't find any cameras, it just leads me to believe it was Papa (he's also noticeably absent in most photos).
Well, he left you a wonderful record of family "goings-on' and we are very grateful you shared them with us.

I Googled your grandfather and read about the Sheenway Schools. I am in Chicago and had never heard of them. A fantastic concept and sorely needed today.

You certainly have an interesting family!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
mystery location

This amazing rppc of an apartment building in Los Angeles was just listed on eBay.

eBay

The card has the sender's address as 2923 S Hope.

The Hope Apartments -

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 22 November 1913

Built in 1906 and demolished circa 1974.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos