HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:35 AM

Please reach out to your council rep to discuss your collective disappointment.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
So either gets redesigned to be more boring or doesn’t happen. Man I am over Saskatchewan’s urban planners...
I read the decision and it's quite clear that the city's planning dept. supported and argued in favour of the appeal.

The independent appeals board denied the appeal.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I read the decision and it's quite clear that the city's planning dept. supported and argued in favour of the appeal.

The independent appeals board denied the appeal.
Exactly as I see it. The city did support Meridian's appeal. Those blaming the city need to read the decision. And it needs to be understood that the Development Appeals Board is a quasi judicial body that is at arms length from the city.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:31 PM

This was an educational moment for me!! I had no idea the city did not have ultimate authority to approve developments. Who is this arms length Development Appeal's Board. Do they really have the power/authority to over rule a city planning and admin recommendation?

I can see City Council ultimately having the authority to accept or deny a recommendation, but an arms length board??

Is there any other option for Meridian to pursue besides accommodating this board?

Very interesting to me and appreciate those who knew providing the clarification.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:58 PM

Yea what is this Independent Appeals Board and how do we remove this massive restriction on red tape???

I know some councillors check this thread, please see what other cities do in this regard and fix this burden on our city!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Yea what is this Independent Appeals Board and how do we remove this massive restriction on red tape???
I suppose you could try to convince the provincial government to try to change the The Planning and Development Act that governs. The next step for Meridian, if they want to go there, is to further appeal before the Planning Appeals Committee of the Saskatchewan Municipal Board.

Read and learn. https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.windows...peal-Board.pdf

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:08 PM
Peddling to progress

I've always thought being an urban planner would be an interesting job, but I'm starting to realize that may be a very frustrating (sometimes fulfilling) job. I guess I will stick to playing Cities Skylines instead.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck10 View Post
I suppose you could try to convince the provincial government to try to change the The Planning and Development Act that governs. The next step for Meridian, if they want to go there, is to further appeal before the Planning Appeals Committee of the Saskatchewan Municipal Board.

Read and learn. https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.windows...peal-Board.pdf
I'm thinking if the city approves of this development, then the process should be that THEY appeal on behalf of the developer. If the city agrees and wants it built, let them do the work to get it approved!

This is ridiculous!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:14 PM

The P&D Act has so many problems. Most stem from the province trying to appease rural municipalities and metropolitan areas under the same legislation.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:45 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The P&D Act has so many problems. Most stem from the province trying to appease rural municipalities and metropolitan areas under the same legislation.
So we should write to a Sask Party MLA in charge of this? I know the downtown city councillor won’t do anything about this since they just win the popularity contest by being a former news anchor... and sask party won’t listen to our downtown NDP MLAs over pettiness. I wonder who is best to see if some solutions can be found - this is totally unjust and unfair to local developers trying their best.

Meridian is the best thing to happen to saskatoon.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:31 PM

Thanks, Roryn1. While I disagree with your assessment of the city councilor who is very pro development and densification....I would for sure write or email the appropriate person in government to voice my concern over the power of this board!

If someone knows who we should be contacting, please share!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 9:50 PM

The downtown city councillor may moderately voice verbal support for densification, but what have they actually done for it? Close to zilch. Meridian might kick and scream to them about this, but they haven’t shown much initiative in new strategy/proposals over the last 4 years at all on removal of surface parking, tax abatements, etc.. or am I wrong? It’s one thing to be all “i’m pro densification”, and then having a good councillor that actually gets things done with new proposals. It’s not at all like the anti densification Nimby vote is at all that strong as per the last election results.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 10:19 PM

But isn't what we are talking about is the city SUPPORTING a new urban densification project but some lunatic arms length board not approving it! Can't blame a councilor for that.

I DO agree that I think the city could still be doing so much more to make the process easier and maybe even more incentives. I think it may still be worthwhile to send something to Mayor and councilor on this ridiculous proces.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:48 PM

edit

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 9:30 PM

ya Zep 1 was 14 years old lol

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
I've always thought being an urban planner would be an interesting job, but I'm starting to realize that may be a very frustrating (sometimes fulfilling) job. I guess I will stick to playing Cities Skylines instead.
I can relate

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:55 PM

edit

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
I was 12 when me older bro brought home Physical Graffiti, and Kiss kinda fell by the wayside. The building on the cover of PG now reminds me a bit of the Farnam Block, at half the height, scaled further for Saskabush; where the floors are split at grade, going up and going down. An interesting design to kind of double up commercial space from the street. That may've been our only example of such architecture, I'm not sure. In any case it was the last. Not a good design anyway in snow country, unless it's got a good overhang. Slip-sliding away! Slip-sliding away, anyway!>)
Probably a few more around town. The building on 21st that houses Cut Steakhouse is like that with Cut up top and the Half Cut lounge on the lower level. Probably OK for a restaurant/bar of that type but tough for retail trying to serve a wide clientele and conform to accessibility standards. That was one of the reasons that the Farnham block was torn down instead of renovated.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:26 PM

Beauty pic of our new south skyline 🌃

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan