HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Also, if an actor appeared in a number of Dragnet 1967 episodes, there was a really good chance he or she also had roles on Adam-12 and Emergency!, two other Jack Webb series.
I think the repertory company aspect came from the series' origin as a radio show, where having actors share roles was common.

For most of the life of the television phase the show's roots in radio were so strong you could follow the story with just the soundtrack:

"Tuesday, May 13th. It was raining in Los Angeles" [Picture of rain]

"My partner and I were working the day watch out of Bunco" [Picture of Webb and partner in cop shop]

"We received a call from a distraught housewife" [Picture of Webb on phone]

"We proceeded to her residence near downtown" [Picture of Webb and partner in car]

And so on. It was as stylized as Kabuki, and as exciting as a Power Point briefing were the presenter just reads the slides to you. But great radio.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

Tommy's signature sandwich......THE BEST.
There aren't enough Original Tommy's around these days. The only one on the Westside closed a few years ago and is now a frikken Starbucks.

Fortunately, a darn good Tommy's imitator called Big Tomy's (at the corner of Pico & Sawtelle in WLA) recently reopened after being closed several years due to a kitchen fire.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:54 PM

Tommy's and the Imitators

Here's an excellent article from the L.A. Times about Tommy's and all the wannabes. The interesting thing to me was Tommy's doesn't worry too much about them unless they really get too close to pretending to be the real thing. They see the imitation as flattery. Tom's #5 is mentioned.
In the South Bay, there's Tomboys which serves up a pretty good version of the Tommy's classic burger with chili - no beans, cheese, tomato, mustard, pickle & onions.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...gers-knockoffs

L.A. Times

Last edited by Bristolian; Nov 16, 2020 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:49 PM
BANNED

I took this photo many years ago at Canter's

Canter's Restaurant is the best delicatessen in Los Angeles. Cobb Salad

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:57 PM

FATBURGER

I've never had a Tom's (or is it Tommy's?) Burger. . . .

but I remember making a pilgrimage to the original Fatburger down on . . tries to find the exact address . .on Western Avenue near Jefferson Boulevard.

fatburger 1970s / shutterstock

"Lovie Yancey moved to Los Angeles in the mid-1940s and at the age of thirty-five, she and a friend, Charles Simpson, decided to start a business venture. Yancey and Simpson built a three-stool hamburger stand on Western Avenue, near Jefferson Boulevard in South Central Los Angeles in 1947, using scrap materials. The pair would call the business Mr. Fatburger."

"built in 1947 using scrap materials". . .an interesting little factoid.

Here's a photo of Lovie Yancey and a 'modernized' Fatburger in the 1980s. (I say '80s because this is how I remember the burgerstand looking when I visited)

theblackdetour

I wasn't able to find a photograph of the co-founder Charles Simpson.

A bit more fatburger-info:

"The business would become so successful that Yancey and Simpson opened three more locations over the next few years. Then in 1952, they decided to end their partnership, and Simpson and his wife took control of the other Mr. Fatburger locations while Yancey retained ownership of the original business. Yancey would remove the “Mr.” and Fatburger was born. From the start, Yancey was a daily part of the business. Yancey would work sixteen hours a day to make sure the business ran smoothly and the burgers were cooked “just right.”

Then in 1973, Yancey opened a Fatburger on La Cienaga Boulevard in Beverly Hills, which became a popular place for entertainers like comedian Redd Foxx, singer Ray Charles, and many others. In the 1980s Yancey started to grow her business through local franchising and by 1985, the chain had over fifteen franchise sites throughout southern California.

Lovie Yancey passed away at 96 due to pneumonia on January 26, 2008."
....the black detour

The Black Detour would be an excellent title for a film noir.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:22 PM

Just Found!

Here's a very cool snapshot of Lovie Yancey visiting her burger stand.

undated

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 13, 2020 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Let's chill, folks. This site is too important to have go under over a personal dispute. I've seen it happen too many times.

Cheers,

Earl
If you can get people to ask the wrong questions, then the answers don't really matter.

--Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
FATBURGER

fatburger 1970s / shutterstock

A bit more fatburger-info:
[...]Then in 1973, Yancey opened a Fatburger on La Cienaga Boulevard in Beverly Hills, which became a popular place for entertainers like comedian Redd Foxx, singer Ray Charles, and many others.[...]

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
There aren't enough Original Tommy's around these days. The only one on the Westside closed a few years ago and is now a frikken Starbucks.

Fortunately, a darn good Tommy's imitator called Big Tomy's (at the corner of Pico & Sawtelle in WLA) recently reopened after being closed several years due to a kitchen fire.
While we don't have a Tommy's in Glendale, there are a bunch close by...Burbank, Eagle Rock, and Sunland. I get my fix about every 6 months.

Now if I want a really good burger, Habit Burger, but it's a bit more upscale.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
This is the FATBURGER on La Cienega (left) and San Vicente (right). You can see the spindly looking entrance to Osko's nightclub (333 S. La Cienega) at left center.
When I was in college, we used to go to the Fatburger in Westwood pretty often. I went to the one here in Glendale a few times before it closed. I'd not had a Fatburger in probably 20 years until last year and I went to the one on Vermont and Hollywood and got a 1 1/2lb Fatburger(the 2lb one seemed over the top).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
old file

I vote Canter's for the food and atmosphere. No place better to go when you've got the late-night cravings for a pastrami sandwich or potato pancakes like Mom used to make 'em.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 12:30 AM
I Like Turtles!

Same church, same pew?

(originally posted by the fabulous ethereal_reality)

Here's a snapshot of a 1963 Corvette Stingray parked across from Tom's No.5 Hamburger Stand, Los Angeles.

eBay

There's a second snapshot of the '63 Stingray on eBay as well.

eBay

As you can see the background is different.

It appears both pics were taken at the same place, but from slightly different angles, judging by the placement of the concrete parking thingies. Also, the pics look to be from the early '70's, as the car entering from the left of the 2nd pic is a '71-72 Ford Pinto.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 2:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
(originally posted by the fabulous ethereal_reality)

Here's a snapshot of a 1963 Corvette Stingray parked across from Tom's No.5 Hamburger Stand, Los Angeles.

eBay

It appears both pics were taken at the same place, but from slightly different angles, judging by the placement of the concrete parking thingies. Also, the pics look to be from the early '70's, as the car entering from the left of the 2nd pic is a '71-72 Ford Pinto.
file personal

One of several proposals for the 1963 Corvette. Clay model.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
[...]

I believe that I've heard the concrete parking thingies called--appropriately to Noirish LA--"Deadmen."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 5:32 AM

Quote:
old file

Looks good, but what is the brown stuff in the 5:00 position? Is that shredded lettuce in the 12:00 position, or cole slaw? Looks a little soggy. I'll stick to a corned beef sandwich on rye with slaw and a pickle and maybe some potato salad. Served with a cold beer of course.

Langer's does give Canter's a run for #1. But dropping in after dark is a little iffy in the Mac Park neighborhood. But it is improving as Korea Town expands east. A Jewish deli in Koreatown. Only in L.A. Waiting for them to serve kim chi on the side. There is a food van in L.A. that serves Korean tacos. When cultures mingle sometimes good things happen. How about a corned beef taco with cole slaw and Russian dressing? Sounds good to me.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 14, 2020 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Looks good, but what is the brown stuff in the 5:00 position? Is that shredded lettuce in the 12:00 position...
That brown stuff looks like bacon, and the 12:00 position is either turkey or chicken.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 5:53 PM

I enjoy this Cobb Salad:

At Bottega Louis, 700 S. Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90017.
(And on the verge of one opening in West Hollywood for a year.)

I just read online:

Bottega Louie’s West Hollywood space is finally open. The company made the announcement via Instagram on Tuesday, November 10. The patisserie and cafe is open for takeout options. For now, the patio that overlooks West Hollywood Park will remain closed as Wehoville reports the restaurant will take a slow approach to launching full service. The 8,900 square foot space has been in some form of development, construction, or delay since 2016. The Downtown location still remains temporarily closed.

Although hearing the news that, in L.A. County at least, the rise in 15-20% of new COVID cases is from attending open restaurants...that seems an unnecessary risk at this point.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 5:24 AM

mystery location.

Unnamed street corner. Downtown los Angeles....1970s amateur slide just listed on eBay

"Orig 1970 Slide STREET SCENE Spider Webb Cafe (and Laundry), Golden Gate Cafe, LOS ANGELES CA"

eBay

Obviously the photographer was in an upper story of a nearby building. Do you think we can figure out what building the photographer was in when he took this pic?

I aim to please. Here's a closer look.

detail

I see a Raul's 'something or other' but I can't figure out the store next door. (the one painted black) It says 'something' Temporary.

I must say. . .I'd love to eat in the Golden Gate Cafe.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 15, 2020 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 5:37 AM

I just found a second slide!

And it appears to have been taken from almost the same vantage point.

eBay

but something's odd. . .I can't quite fig . . .Oh my God & Boy Howdy! ....That old hotel building on the left is MISSING in the previous slide!...The slide I just posted.

I would have posted this slide first if I had known. (as a before and after)

A closer look.

detail

So what's the name of the soon-to-be torn down hotel? .....Poner?.....Boner?

The sign closer to the ground appears to spell out the word Carnival(?).....Do you suppose the hotel had a bar called the Carnival Room?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 15, 2020 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 9:09 AM

We're looking at the 200 block of E 5th Street. The Golden Gate Cafe is at 202 E 5th in the CDs from 1960 to 1987, but the Spider Webb Cafe only appears in the 1973 edition. The Rucker Hardware name seems to go back to around 1920 when it was Entz and Rucker. Over the years it was also known as the New York Hardware Co.

The missing building is the Ponet Hotel at 205 E 5th Street (not to be confused with the Ponet Square Hotel at 1249 S Grand Av which suffered a deadly fire in 1970). Here's the back of it on the left as we look down Los Angeles Street (the recently discussed Los Angeles Mission is on the right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
That means that e_r's photographer was most likely in the King Edward Hotel, although the LA Mission is also possible, especially given the recently posted images from the same source. The Carnival Cafe was at 201 E 5th Street. It only appears in the 1960 and 1961 CDs, but the sign plans below are from 1954.

Online Building Records

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos