HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Long is an understatement, I live in NJ and listed until nearly 1am!!

I can't believe how much time was waisted on food trucks! Also there were 3 individuals who voted no for both Garfield House & Astra, I believe all women, whats their deal?

It was good to hear Astra has funding and ready to go!

Also everyones argument regarding 2nd avenue expansion, its not what the developers want to do, they are being forced, however individuals wanted to the project rejected due to it
Well, that's dedication man!

Nice to hear about Astra having funding in place.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post

Speaking of Aspirant, what's the progress on Aspire? Is it moving as slowly as the Stewart did?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
There is a large amount of people who live here who still think of Phoenix as their exotic desert refuge from urban living back east.
Don't ever forget this. I hear it all the time, people saying things like "I didn't leave Chicago to have Chicago follow me around".

I understand their point of view but I rebut this by telling them moving downtown was the wrong choice, then.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:

Slow night for me LOL.

Does anyone know what steps are next?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:41 PM

It does amaze me people say that. I mean 95% of Phoenix Metro is not urban besides Midtown, Downtown, Old Town, DT Tempe, & Biltmore.... & tbh, you could even include the smaller want-a-be’s of Gilbert, chandler, etc & it’s still 94% lmao. Why would you move near downtown & not expect a high rise 2 blocks from you. People are dumb.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Great list. Yeah, it's over WebEx.

Here are details for anyone interested in joining:

OPTIONS TO ACCESS THE MEETING
- Call-in to listen to the live meeting: Dial 602-666-0783, Enter meeting access code
1260329878#, and press # again when prompted for the attendee ID
- Observe the live meeting virtually.
Register for the event at:
https://cityofphoenixpdd.webex.com/c...5fa1bd887a0694
And the crane at St Joes would make 18, boom!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I know this a week old convo, but I've been out of town and just getting caught up on all the posts. I count 17 between DT and MT. Do doubt, Wexford at the time would have been 18 before it was taken down a few weeks ago which the Mayor may have included.

Here's all we have (adding to your list). Starting from the South and going Northward:

1) The Battery
2) Adeline
3) Hyatt Place
4) X Phoenix
5) X Phoenix
6) Thunderbird
7) Link 2
8) Derby
9) ASU Creativity Center
10) Aspire
11) 2nd and Fillmore (O'Neil)
12) The Fillmore
13) Broadstone Portland
14) Portrait Phase 2
15) Creighton
16) Millenium
17) Apartments on the former Macayo's (don't know if this has a name yet).

Additionally, ECO should be getting a crane soon, bringing us back up to 18.

Will this be broadcast? I am now working 2nds.
And the crane at St Joes would make 18! Boom!

The Macayos lot is an Aura, Aura Central I believe they are calling it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 11:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
And the crane at St Joes would make 18, boom!
I was just going to post that as I was eating at Pita Bistro today and forgot that one!!

As for the meeting on Astra last night, I was in the process of getting screenshots for Astra when the chairmen told Nick Wood to hurry through the slides! I was ticked! A couple of the slides appeared to show updated, very detailed renderings of Astra that looked pretty good! Grrr...

Also, on a side note. I am thinking we have our first casualty from the pandemic. The Knipe House office appears to be dead. All construction equipment including the trailers have been removed and the street has been repaved.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I was just going to post that as I was eating at Pita Bistro today and forgot that one!!

As for the meeting on Astra last night, I was in the process of getting screenshots for Astra when the chairmen told Nick Wood to hurry through the slides! I was ticked! A couple of the slides appeared to show updated, very detailed renderings of Astra that looked pretty good! Grrr...

Also, on a side note. I am thinking we have our first casualty from the pandemic. The Knipe House office appears to be dead. All construction equipment including the trailers have been removed and the street has been repaved.
Damn bummer about Knipe House if true.

Regarding Astra, did they also talk about or approve the re-alignment of the paseo as it goes through the property?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 11:14 PM
Modulator

Quote:

Regarding Astra, did they also talk about or approve the re-alignment of the paseo as it goes through the property?
I believe so by a 7-4 vote.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:

paseo re-alignment looks very nice and approved

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:

I mean Nick Wood can and will use his charisma/charm to sell these projects, just the chairwoman wasn’t having it since it was 40 mins after 9!

Was thinking similarly for Knipe Village. I don’t think the signage is even there anymore to indicate the project.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 12:30 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I mean Nick Wood can and will use his charisma/charm to sell these projects, just the chairwoman wasn’t having it since it was 40 mins after 9!

Was thinking similarly for Knipe Village. I don’t think the signage is even there anymore to indicate the project.
Sign is still there. I'm really hoping they've just put it on hold until all this is over. But I personally think the office demand simply is not there and may not be for some time. I'm wondering if they will change it to residential?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Sign is still there. I'm really hoping they've just put it on hold until all this is over. But I personally think the office demand simply is not there and may not be for some time. I'm wondering if they will change it to residential?
I also noticed that construction had stopped on Knipe House a couple weeks back. With exception of Ten -O- One, it appears True North has pulled the plug on nearly everything. When the story came out about Pedal Haus taking over all their restaurant concepts, it mentioned the possibility of Pedal Haus moving their offices into the upstairs of Monorchid, which is where True North Studios is/has been located. Anyone know the story with them? Reminding me all too much of Vento’s move back in 2008, hopefully I’m wrong.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Guess I didn’t see it. It’s interesting the RFP for this site called for affordable housing initially which was traded for office under TNS. Probably would have benefitted them, in this case, to have just stuck with the stipulations.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:10 PM
Modulator

Interesting. I checked the RO2 brochure and it appears to have been updated with new various renderings. It also now includes a rendering of what looks like a scaled back Meow-Wolf building and what may be a rough sketch of what the Meow-Wolf hotel may have looked like (crazy design!). Also, what is the Godfrey? Haven't heard of this one yet.

http://brochures.w-retail.com/AZ-Pho...2ndSt-RO2-2019

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:17 PM
Modulator

I knew it was only a matter of time before this area started to heat up for development.

Quote:
3,500 acres in north Phoenix could be transformed into major employment corridor

By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Sep 14, 2020, 11:45am EDT
The city of Phoenix and the Arizona State Land Department are aiming to reposition 3,500 acres of desert in north Phoenix for a major future employment corridor that would include a tech campus and mixed-use components.

“So much of the state land up north is the future of the city,” Alan Stephenson, planning and development director for the city of Phoenix, told the Business Journal.

The land is at the northwest corner of Interstate 17 and Loop 303, directly south of the Ben Avery Shooting Facility.

The rezoning effort will also increase the value of the land, which the state leases and sells at auction, and the funds are managed to create revenue for the beneficiaries of the State Land Trust. The biggest beneficiary of the trust is K-12 education.

The large scale planned unit development with the state land department as the owner allows the city to plan the land uses on a bigger scale than it would be able to if it were working with multiple landowners all controlling pieces in the area, Stephenson said.

“If you look at this particular location, it is surrounded by three freeways, which is a unique condition,” Joshua Bednarek, deputy director of planning for the city said. “We can reinforce where we already have existing infrastructure.”

The proposed zoning includes three districts: a technology campus, a technology park and freeway mixed-use development.

The technology campus portion includes 1,078 acres and is located near the center of the site, according to city documents. This portion will be allowed to contain the most intensive development and commercial uses. The technology park portion of the area will include 1,217 acres of planned employment and commerce park uses on the northern and western portions of the site. The freeway mixed-use district will include 1,243 acres on the eastern portion of the site along the I-17 corridor and could include additional employment uses, regional commercial, office, hospitality and multifamily development.

"Managing a land portfolio of more than 9 million acres across the state, the State Land Department files rezoning requests with local governments to create value for the beneficiaries' holdings,” Arizona State Land Commissioner Lisa Atkins said in a statement. “We have a number of them in the pipeline across the state, and this particular one is a joint effort with the city of Phoenix."

Stephenson said the rezoning will create another option for users looking to come to Phoenix, especially those looking to locate along a freeway.

“We have the land resources available for any user in any size,” he said. “We have seen some interest over the years, especially because of the infrastructure. As the economy has come back around, there were parcels that had the zoning, but those got bought up first and developed. Now we are looking at a new place.”

No auctions are scheduled yet for the land, and the zoning application will go before Phoenix City Council in late October.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-corridor.html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:33 PM

That's interesting, I was wondering what the plan was for that piece of land. It's funny they mention no auctions are scheduled, because nearly 1200 acres of it goes to auction on November 2nd. I knew it was scheduled for auction, but hadn't heard any specifics.

https://land.az.gov/sites/default/fi...1524_flyer.pdf

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:57 PM

I was in downtown Phoenix today and it was very cool seeing all the construction going on since the last time I was in Downtown. The Derby looks to be gaining steam now and The Link phase 2 looks to be more than half way up. Adeline shot up fast! I am very surprised how fast Adeline is being built. The Fillmore is starting to stand out and Aspire is slowly going up. I wasn't a fan of X Phoenix but I am now fan of how it adds depth to downtown and the same with the new ASU dorms. Hopefully the projects planned for Roosevelt Row get built because I truly believe that part of downtown could really push future development projects. I am very bold on Roosevelt Row because of the culture already built there. Downtown Phoenix is notorious of having no culture or a urban feel to it and I believe Roosevelt Row can and should change that narrative. Overall, I am very pleased with all the developments and can't wait to see The Mckinley, Central Station, RO2, and hopefully Astra get built.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
I was in downtown Phoenix today and it was very cool seeing all the construction going on since the last time I was in Downtown. The Derby looks to be gaining steam now and The Link phase 2 looks to be more than half way up. Adeline shot up fast! I am very surprised how fast Adeline is being built. The Fillmore is starting to stand out and Aspire is slowly going up. I wasn't a fan of X Phoenix but I am now fan of how it adds depth to downtown and the same with the new ASU dorms. Hopefully the projects planned for Roosevelt Row get built because I truly believe that part of downtown could really push future development projects. I am very bold on Roosevelt Row because of the culture already built there. Downtown Phoenix is notorious of having no culture or a urban feel to it and I believe Roosevelt Row can and should change that narrative. Overall, I am very pleased with all the developments and can't wait to see The Mckinley, Central Station, RO2, and hopefully Astra get built.
Thanks. I was wondering if Aspire was moving at a slower pace like the Stewart did.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest