HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 8:15 PM

I just figured out the curb

I added the gray vertical line (at far right) to make it more clear for Magoos like me.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:37 AM

Sooo, it's kind of difficult to express the magnitude of what's been released. I'm just gonna leave this here and let you see for yourself...

https://esotouric.com/2020/09/05/ruscha/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:47 AM

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
That curb has to be 18 inches high! What explains this?
That is an awfully high curb.

The highest curb I can think of in LA is right outside of the Nate Starkman building:

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Sooo, it's kind of difficult to express the magnitude of what's been released. I'm just gonna leave this here and let you see for yourself...

Thanks for the link, Beaudry. It's going to take a while to look through 71,139 images!

I can't help doing a quick "then and now". Here's the Metropolitan Chevrolet Co at 3300 Sunset Boulevard in 1966.

www.getty.edu

Most of the building still stands, but the tower and a lot of the detailing have gone.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 7:36 PM

They chopped off the tower. ..... Whadda they do that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
"The foot-high curbs in Los Angeles were part of an early flood control system.
Before storm drains were common, engineers planned streets in flood zones to capture runoff from a “100-year storm.”

Changing a curb means raising the street or lowering the sidewalk
—each is a huge undertaking—so you might have to wait 100 years for a new one."

Chris Nichols at lamag

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 7, 2020 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"The foot-high curbs in Los Angeles were part of an early flood control system.
Before storm drains were common, engineers planned streets in flood zones to capture runoff from a “100-year storm.”

Changing a curb means raising the street or lowering the sidewalk
—each is a huge undertaking—so you might have to wait 100 years for a new one."

Chris Nichols at lamag

Thanks, USC Digital Library

Curb height measured at 13½ inches with ruler and hand, Los Angeles, 1953
Photograph of a 13½-inch high curbstone. "Looking around with Harry Lang -- Detroit's jibes at L.A. curbstones draw sharp retort right back -- Today, 'Looking around' leaps fearlessly to defend LA's fair name against calumny, detraction and belittlement from (of ALL places!) Detroit. Let me tell you this, Detroit: What we have here in LA, we HAVE! -- and let no Detroiter say we haven't. -- I'm talking about curbstones. And I don't mean those runty, little, niddling, chickensized curbs like in Detroit. I mean fine, noble, upstanding, out-west-where-men-are-men-sized curbs. ¿ Curbstones that'll take on and crumple ANY car made in ANY Detroit factory! Curbstones that'll take second place to NO cliff in all Michigan! -- It's all because of this plea from Mrs. Bertha Worthington of 5022 Coolidge Avenue, Culver City, whose daughter Gladys is ill in the Herman Kiefer Hospital in Detroit, and facing a relapse because the other patients (all Detroiters, mind you!) are calling her a liar for asserting that LA has curbstones 'a foot high.' Pleads Mrs. W. 'Help my daughter! I know The Examiner can do anything, so can you help her against these Detroiters?' -- All right, Mrs. W; all right, Gladys. All right, you puny-minded Detroiters! A half block from the Examiner Building, at the LA Chamber of Commerce headquarters, our cameraman took this picture. That's an LA curb. That's a 12-inch ruler standing against it. Sidewalk level is 13½ inches above street level. So Gladys is a liar, is she? And that's at 12th and Broadway, virtually the heart of LA; elsewhere in LA, you'll find curbs even higher. Detroit will ALL its auto-factories can't make a car an LA curb somewhere can't crumple! And one final word: Out here, when you curb your dong, be sure he's a Great Dane¿! -- P.S. -- And now I just KNOW that some damtexan will tell me that in Texas, you have to ring for an elevator to get up onto the sidewalk!)" -- Examiner Clipping attached to verso, dated 2 March 1953.; Streetscape. Horizontal photography.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:45 AM

Beaudry is correct, you can get lost in the Ed Ruscha images for hours....our friend Alison Martino from Vintage L.A. says that she was up until 5 AM going through the pictures....we will be working this one for quite some time....

A cursory review turned up this 1975 pic of the RKO General offices at 5515 Melrose....

There's no signage identifying this fellow, or why he's standing there....

My initial thought was that this could be the mid-70's version of Mike Nesmith, the ex-Monkee....

In '74 Nesmith had formed the media company Pacific Arts Corp., a firm that anticipated the home video revolution....maybe they had taken offices in the RKO General building, and this statue was part of a coming promotional campaign.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
Beaudry is correct, you can get lost in the Ed Ruscha images for hours....our friend Alison Martino from Vintage L.A. says that she was up until 5 AM going through the pictures....we will be working this one for quite some time....

A cursory review turned up this 1975 pic of the RKO General offices at 5515 Melrose....

My initial thought was that this could be the mid-70's version of Mike Nesmith, the ex-Monkee....

In '74 Nesmith had formed the media company Pacific Arts Corp., a firm that anticipated the home video revolution....maybe they had taken offices in the RKO General building, and this statue was part of a coming promotional campaign.
Looks a bit like Ringo Starr.....in a dress?

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 8, 2020 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:19 PM

I could be mistaken but I don't remember seeing this marvelous photograph by Michael Ochs on NLA.

Hollywood & Vine, June 1, 1951.

fineartsamerica

There's a 'Columbia' store halfway down the block that I don't remember seeing.

Here's a closer look.

detail

My guess is: A record store connected to Columbia Records.

Hey, there's the familiar Nancy's too. For a better look at Nancy's go Here....(if you can look closely you can see the Columbia store)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 8, 2020 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:40 PM

An intriguing neighbor (and mystery location)

eBay

Does anyone know where Edd Byrnes lived in the Hollywood Hills?

The reason I want to know is because my eye keeps wandering to the flat-roofed ultra-modern house next door - - - - >

A closer look

detail

If you look closely you can see a rather precarious spiral staircase descending, among some vines, to the pool area.....The building looks like something you might see in a James Bond movie.

It would be fun to see if the structure is still there but first we need to figure out where Mr. Byrnes lived.

Here's the info. with the photograph.

. . .but no mention of an address.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:07 PM

I definitely see a likeness to Ringo. And here's the cover of his album that was released late in 1974.

But what connection could there be to RKO General? Would be interesting to scan television listings for KHJ Channel 9 from 1975 for possible clues.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I could be mistaken but I don't remember seeing this marvelous photograph by Michael Ochs on NLA.

Hollywood & Vine, June 1, 1951.

fineartsamerica

It's the first time I can recall ever seeing a ghost, I mean newsstand on the NE corner of Hollywood & Vine, too. I've only seen one on the SE corner.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
An intriguing neighbor (and mystery location)

eBay

Does anyone know where Edd Byrnes lived in the Hollywood Hills?

The reason I want to know is because my eye keeps wandering to the flat-roofed ultra-modern house next door - - - - >

A closer look

detail

If you look closely you can see a rather precarious spiral staircase descending, among some vines, to the pool area.....The building looks like something you might see in a James Bond movie.

It would be fun to see if the structure is still there but first we need to figure out where Mr. Byrnes lived.

Here's the info. with the photograph.

. . .but no mention of an address.

Here's a little info, e_r:

Quoth Photoplay, August 1960 issue, p. 19:

"Edd Byrnes tells me he can now furnish the house he bought in Cold Water [sic] Canyon before his five-month strike against Warner Brothers. 'I was too broke during that time to think about furniture,' Edd grinned. 'Now I'm in and out of shops every minute I have away from the set.' 'And who is helping you?' I asked. 'Asa Maynor,' he confessed. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Asa one day graced the house of 'Kookie' as Mrs. Edd Byrnes."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 12:08 AM

Kudos to CaliNative and Handsome Stranger on the Ringo i.d., that's definitely him...Ringo had occurred to me due to the bulbous nose but I could not find a '75 image with his hair parted as per the statue...

Back to the Ed Ruscha images....

By 1966 the once-proud Vista Theatre had descended into an all-night nudie show.

Jump forward to '73 and we find the bill of fare has turned gay. 

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Quote:

One of the comments someone made on the link Beaudry posted above was this:

Just looking at some of the shots along Sunset and noticed that a lot of the captions and descriptions are not very precise in regards to cross streets.

I'm in agreement. Trying to find a particular area is rather confusing. You can't just search for an address really, nor any landmark. If anyone discovers something worth noting about the search functions, let us know.

But that it's available is pretty amazing.
___

Quote:
Here's another image we haven't seen on nla.

"1972 los angeles street scene hollywood vintage original 35mm slide."

eBay

We're looking west on Hollywood Blvd. at Western Avenue. In the distance on the right is the old St. Francis Hotel - ...but I find the smaller places just as interesting. . .

. . .like the noirish sounding 'The Rail' bar and the nearby Dante's Cafe.
[...]

I'd like to learn more about the 49r. ...
There was a bar in my hometown called the 49 Lounge (located on Illinois State Route 49) that seemed mysterious to me when I was a kid.

From the Ruscha photos, E_R, here's the 49r from 1973, a couple years after the color slide photo.

Ruscha Collection

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:18 PM

Bullocks department store delivery trucks

Someone just sent me a couple of wonderful photos of the custom built (probably by Advance Auto Body Works of Los Angeles) delivery trucks from Bullocks department store. I couldn't identify the buildings in the background of either photo, but I sure hope they're still around.

and

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 7:51 PM

The Ringo Starr figure was made for the promotion of Goodnight Vienna and was placed alongside a model of the Gort robot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on top of the Capitol Records building for this crazy UFO publicity event. In the video, the UFO lands on Vine Street in front of the tower, but there's a shot of a horse and helicopter that appears to be on Hollywood Boulevard. Capitol Records operated out of the Melrose building for a while, but I don't know if they still had a stake in it by 1974

Steve Hoffman TV
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tudios.114096/

Event photos: https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/33917803420784780/
https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosA...5780091145381/
Video of the event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqBH-9yyQMU

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 10:47 PM

"Statue used to create Ringo Starr figure was purchased by Capitol Records from Excalibur Pacific, Inc. located on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles. The 23 foot statue was moved from the car lot to Capitol Records on Vine Street where it was transformed into Ringo by Mobile Production Systems, Inc."

LA GAZETTE DROUOT

Vintage Los Angeles/Facebook

Also some pictures in a June 2018 post from ethereal_reality showing the production of the promo for Goodnight Vienna on the Capitol Records building's roof.
And Handsome Stranger did the work too! (Thanks, riichkay.)

It's odd that with all the work they put into this, there are hardly any pictures of Big Ringo on the roof. The video only shows his lower half for a few seconds at the end

Last edited by Mackerm; Sep 10, 2020 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 11:05 PM

Add re: Ringo, the thread covered the Capital Records roof promo video a few years back (pg. 2363)...e_r and Handsome Stranger did the work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos