HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

A "Swim-Easy" mystery location.

I believe the "Myers Mfg. Co. might be out of San Francisco but the photograph below was taken by a Los Angeles based photographer (Chateau Art Studio)
so I'd say the setting is possibly Los Angeles.

Does the surrounding area look familiar to anyone?

The stitching on the swimsuit is beautiful. I believe she's holding her bathing cap. She forgot to wash her feet.

I wonder if the model is a silent film actress. . .ala Myrna Loy....(I have an idea who she might be but I need to do some research first)

Here's another from the same photoshoot with Delphine included.

i.pinimg.com

Looks like it's a substantial hotel with an adjacent golf course.

As for Delphine De Remeaux and her shot at stardom. She submitted a hand writing sample to showbiz writer Fritzi Remont who doubled as a “graphologist”
and offered character readings and vocational guidance to budding stars.

archive.org - Camera - Sept 4th 1920

Maybe she got discouraged by Fritzi's suggestion that a motion picture career was not for her.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:31 AM

Quote:

I believe the "Myers Mfg. Co. might be out of San Francisco but the photograph below was taken by a Los Angeles based photographer (Chateau Art Studio)

The stitching on the swimsuit is beautiful. I believe she's holding her bathing cap. She forgot to wash her feet.

I wonder if the model is a silent film actress. . .ala Myrna Loy....(I have an idea who she might be but I need to do some research first)
e_r, didn't the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena have a renowned pool in this era (and so would make an obvious site for a shoot featuring swimwear)? The architecture--what one can see of it--with the angles and so on, makes the Huntington pop into my head (the wings of the hotel were/are not at right angles to the main structure).

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:51 AM

Quote:

^^^^
Not sure about the location, but it looks like a young Marion Douras, aka Marion Davies, the true love of a famous newspaper publisher and a very underrated comic actress (Chaplin said so). She bore little resemblance to the talentless mental lightweight "singer" in Orson W.'s "Citizen Kane". Orson, you did her wrong. Rosebud was not a sled.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 4, 2020 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:21 AM

Quote:

That appears to be the south side of the Ambassador Hotel, looking east toward the back of a house on Catalina Street.

Below is an undated photo looking west at the south side of the Ambassador (and the east end of its SE wing), with an
arrow pointing to the part of the hotel behind Ms. De Remeaux. The golf course is in the foreground:

00007051 at LA Public Library

At the USC Digital Library, image DW-C1-10-19-ISLA is a 1940 aerial showing the Ambassador from about the same angle
as the undated photo. The golf course looks decommissioned and perhaps partly built-over, but you can tell about where
the photo with Delphine was taken.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 4, 2020 at 4:59 AM. Reason: better pic

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:16 AM

Happy Birthday to NLA founder ethereal_reality.

Original at USC Digital Library

(Truth be told, I borrowed the cake from Carl Laemmle!)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 5:26 PM

Nearly every photo of contemporary Los Angeles here on Noirish Los Angeles, of both commercial and residential areas, shows cracked sidewalks and curbs, security bars, security grates, barbed wire, and bricked up windows and doors.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:

Well, her piano legs aren't helping either. I don't think this is the much prettier Myrna, but Ms Loy was known to have not such great gams herself. You rarely see them in film. As for the house...

In the background is the rear of the 1910 Phineus Newmark house at 703 S Catalina...owned in the mid-1910s by hide dealer Aleck Brownstein (a Newmark relative) and by 1920 by "Razor King" King C. Gillette. Both Brownstein and Gillette added to the house.

The façade before expansion:

Kansas Sebastian

USCDL

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:42 PM

Have a great one E_R!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I can't quite place it, but this image looks photoshopped.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 11:02 PM

I hope everyone is having a great Fourth of July!

Here's an astonishing cabinet card of a family celebrating the Fourth of July in Pasadena. [c.1890]

old file / ebay

I love the bucolic feel. . .the sunlight filtered through the trees. . .the slight breeze (the flags are fluttering)

If you look closely, beneath the large flag on the left, there is a long table set up for refreshments.

The empty chairs on the right are no doubt where the people posing on the ground were sitting) - note the small flag someone has stuck in the tree.

Here's a closer look at the mystery family.

detail

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 4, 2020 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Here's another from the same photoshoot with Delphine included.

i.pinimg.com

Looks like it's a substantial hotel with an adjacent golf course.

As for Delphine De Remeaux and her shot at stardom. She submitted a hand writing sample to showbiz writer Fritzi Remont who doubled as a “graphologist”
and offered character readings and vocational guidance to budding stars.

archive.org - Camera - Sept 4th 1920

Maybe she got discouraged by Fritzi's suggestion that a motion picture career was not for her.
Could have sworn that was Marion Davies. Never heard of Delphine. Pretty obscure. Happy birthday---39?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I believe that is Irving Thalberg on the right, the "boy wonder" of MGM, the one guy Louis B. Meyer deferred to, along with Irving's wife, Norma S.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:02 AM

NLA has not, I think, visited Harlow's Cafe yet. Who will join me there tonight to toast e_r on his birthday?

odinthor collection

LA Times, 9/15/1913

LA Herald, 12/26/1914

LA Times, 11/4/1959

Last edited by odinthor; Jul 5, 2020 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:08 AM

Greetings fellow Noirishers, a buddy of mine had a request, so I'm taking it to the group:

Does anybody have a 1940s or 50s photo of 9701 Santa Monica Beverly Hills? It was where my great uncle had his store Beverly Uniform Shop. I remember going there once but liked going to his house better - it was one of the stilt houses near Universal Studios. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0685...2!8i6656?hl=en

Thanks in advance for whatever y'all might turn up!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 4:15 AM

I just found out that the Rose Bowl July 4th fireworks have been cancelled for this year. When I was a boy in the Linda Vista neighborhood in Pasadena, we neighborhood kids would troop up the Chamberlain Street firebreak for a half-mile or so. From up there you were looking right down into the Rose Bowl and we'd sit there with our cokes and snacks and watch the fireworks. I wonder if kids still do that.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
I just found out that the Rose Bowl July 4th fireworks have been cancelled for this year. When I was a boy in the Linda Vista neighborhood in Pasadena, we neighborhood kids would troop up the Chamberlain Street firebreak for a half-mile or so. From up there you were looking right down into the Rose Bowl and we'd sit there with our cokes and snacks and watch the fireworks. I wonder if kids still do that.

In recent years the streets in the San Rafaels above the Rose Bowl become swamped with cars despite the manned PPD barriers at the entry points.....quite a mess (my Dad's house is up there, and, yes, we would watch from the hills).....but I prefer that to the barrage of shells currently assaulting the greater Los Angeles area! Hundreds can be heard every minute.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:26 PM

Not the Boy Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I believe that is Irving Thalberg on the right, the "boy wonder" of MGM, the one guy Louis B. Meyer deferred to, along with Irving's wife, Norma S.
Nope! That's not Irving Thalberg or Norma Shearer or LB Mayer. (I've just released a novel about Thalberg called "The Heart of the Lion" which I researched for 2.5 years, so I know Thalberg's face when I see (and don't see) it.)

This is them:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
NLA has not, I think, visited Harlow's Cafe yet. Who will join me there tonight to toast e_r on his birthday?

odinthor collection

That's a beautiful interior. It's a bit odd to leave off the address on a printed postcard. (odinthor. .or is the street address on the back?)

Judging by the entrance(?) on the right, where you see the impressive lion's head, a person takes several steps down to enter the cafe proper.
I take that to mean the cafe is below ground. (but not by very much)

Now try to imagine an ice skating rink in that space!

Los Angeles Herald March 16, 1916

postscript:

The ad for Harlow's Cafe in odinthor's post has the address as 311 1/2 S. Spring and 208 1/2 Third St but I just noticed the address in the ice rink blurb
is "Second and Spring".

Do you think this is an entirely new space adjacent to the cafe or simple a different entrance to the same cafe as shown in odinthor's postcard.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 5, 2020 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

odinthor collection

Harlow's other cafe in Venice.

rescarta.lapl.org - Santa Monica City Directory 1919-1920

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post

According to the original photo's title, it's "Carl Laemmle presenting piece of cake to his son [Carl Laemmle, Jr], 1934".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos