HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
San Marcos isn't a super desirable place to recruit to but costs would be much lower

(Don't @ me I'm from the area)
For the most part, these are manufacturing jobs, not HQ type jobs. It's not as if they're looking to recruit some hotshot from Stanford or Harvard to come work in San Marcos. It's relatively cheap labor they can get from part time college students.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I heard from a landowner friend of mine that Tesla is looking at two sites in the Austin area. The previously mentioned Hutto site, and a portion of this intermodal rail site in San Marcos. https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...ght-rail-park/

Assuming rail isn't the only means by which they'll ship their vehicles, I'm thinking it's not the best situated site to ship out by truck. In order to avoid the much congested I35 corridor, I would think they would try to find a site that has easy access to the 130 toll. To get to 130 from this site, they'd have to use Hwy 21, which I believe is still a two lane road over that segment.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 11:19 PM

This article does a good job of summing the details on why news Orgs went from saying Austin was selected as the site of Tesla's new factory to backing off from that and saying Tulsa was also a finalist:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/05...as/?comments=1

Here's an update from the same source that started the recent discussion about the Hutto/Taylor site:

https://www.torquenews.com/1/source-...ouncement-soon

From the article:

Quote:
This morning Torque News received a letter from a commercial realtor in Austin, TX saying his "credible" sourse told him that Texas Governor's office will soon make an announcement that Tesla will be building its Cybertruck Terafactory just outside of Austin.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 11:22 PM

I live close to that San Marcos site, and my home value would be helped by it going there. But I have to agree with some previous posts - San Marcos is awful.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 9:06 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 9:25 PM

Pretty sure people can just add things to Google Maps.

Had to do it when I moved to a new house.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Pretty sure people can just add things to Google Maps.

Had to do it when I moved to a new house.
Ah but this isn’t Google Maps, this is the navigational map used by all Tesla vehicles. Probably not quite as easy to claim a location on that platform....

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 10:12 PM

Tesla is using Google maps, and that new factory location was put on Google maps. Plus it says "option". So I'm not taking that as evidence of a definite selection.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Tesla is using Google maps, and that new factory location was put on Google maps. Plus it says "option". So I'm not taking that as evidence of a definite selection.
I think “option” may be an artifact of Tesla’s navigation system. If I go to google maps now, it just shows as Tesla Terra Factory.

Doesn’t mean it’s real, but I’ve tried to add/correct things on google maps before, and it doesn’t seem automatic.

Last edited by Novacek; May 24, 2020 at 1:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I think “option” may be an artifact of Tesla’s navigation system. If I go to google maps now, it just shows as Tesla Terra Factory.

Doesn’t mean it’s real, but I’ve tried to add/correct things on google maps before, and it doesn’t see, automatic.
There was change to the map today. Earlier today "option" was still there. And you're right, it's not there now. Did Tesla make their decision today?

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 12:45 AM

From what I've read, the Google Maps interface is only an overlay, and they actually use their own proprietary navigation system under the hood.

I've used my own desktop version of google maps, and nothing comes up when I search.

EDIT: I take it back -- it's available now on desktop google maps. It wasn't when I searched earlier this afternoon.

EDITx2: this location on desktop google maps is called "Tesla Terra Factory" with two r's, and a space before Factory. That's not the correct spelling or format, either for the real thing or what's been reported on Tesla's maps. Whatever I'm seeing on my Chromebook ain't it.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
From what I've read, the Google Maps interface is only an overlay, and they actually use their own proprietary navigation system under the hood.

I've used my own desktop version of google maps, and nothing comes up when I search.

EDIT: I take it back -- it's available now on desktop google maps. It wasn't when I searched earlier this afternoon.

EDITx2: this location on desktop google maps is called "Tesla Terra Factory" with two r's, and a space before Factory. That's not the correct spelling or format, either for the real thing or what's been reported on Tesla's maps. Whatever I'm seeing on my Chromebook ain't it.
Just to try out the edit feature, I made some suggestion edits a little while ago. I'm waiting to see if they get approved.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 7:27 PM

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I was biking around this area the other morning and came across the old scrap metal plant or whatever you call it. I am unfamiliar with this building and what its former purpose was, and its current status.

Is there any potential development news surrounding this site?
Save for the mildly interesting building on the east end of the property the rest of this looks like a rusting rotting metal tin shop sitting on some valuable property that could be easily developed for residential (instead of bulldozing things that are currently in use and/or liked).

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There was change to the map today. Earlier today "option" was still there. And you're right, it's not there now. Did Tesla make their decision today?
I just checked on my phone and it says "Tesla Terafactory Texas - option"

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I was biking around this area the other morning and came across the old scrap metal plant or whatever you call it. I am unfamiliar with this building and what its former purpose was, and its current status.

Is there any potential development news surrounding this site?
Save for the mildly interesting building on the east end of the property the rest of this looks like a rusting rotting metal tin shop sitting on some valuable property that could be easily developed for residential (instead of bulldozing things that are currently in use and/or liked).

Yes! What is this and why is it still here?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
Yes! What is this and why is it still here?
I think the lack of development has something to do with cleanup. Nevertheless, here's an old thread on the site.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=220766

here's an statesman article.
https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...tops-in-austin

the site even inspired a thesis.
https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/9041

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_afk View Post
I think the lack of development has something to do with cleanup. Nevertheless, here's an old thread on the site.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=220766

here's an statesman article.
https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...tops-in-austin

the site even inspired a thesis.
https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/9041
Interesting reads, thank you!

That whole area just seems like one big "What If..."

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Interesting reads, thank you!

That whole area just seems like one big "What If..."
I live adjacent to the area -- can actually see that old building from my windows -- and there is some incremental progress happening around there. A few new restaurants in the last couple of years on West 5th and 6th streets, including Better Half and a brand-new, just opened brewery associated with Better Half called Hold Out that is right next to it. Also a fantastic little coffee shop/bakery called Nate's hidden away right there too.

A couple of the perpendicular side-streets that dead end in to the railroad tracks -- Orchard and Pressler I think -- have been cleaned up too and have nice sidewalks. There's a relatively new condo/apartment building right there too. And new/redone commercial + hopefully small retail going up across from Clark's.

The whole West 5th/6th area between Lamar and Mopac is absolutely a huge opportunity. From an urbanist perspective, it's a substantial amount of land *directly* next to downtown that for some reason currently has self-storage places, car painting, and car dealerships which really boggles the mind. Such an obvious place to restore a light-rail or tram in to Tarrytown and hopefully densified Breckenridge track one day. There could easily be 6-8 story apartments and condos lining both sides of 5th and 6th all the way to Mopac if it was zoned appropriately and the neighborhood was on board.

I suspect the train track/Union Pacific are a big reason development has been so slow. It is *very* loud heading west towards Mopac when it hits its horn, so any residential will need to be done with that in mind. Obvious solution to me is that Union Pacific should just buy all the cheap, under used lots there, develop them, then make the necessary safety/sound wall updates to reduce noise and then sell the developed properties.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyPiGuy View Post
I live adjacent to the area -- can actually see that old building from my windows -- and there is some incremental progress happening around there. A few new restaurants in the last couple of years on West 5th and 6th streets, including Better Half and a brand-new, just opened brewery associated with Better Half called Hold Out that is right next to it. Also a fantastic little coffee shop/bakery called Nate's hidden away right there too.

A couple of the perpendicular side-streets that dead end in to the railroad tracks -- Orchard and Pressler I think -- have been cleaned up too and have nice sidewalks. There's a relatively new condo/apartment building right there too. And new/redone commercial + hopefully small retail going up across from Clark's.

The whole West 5th/6th area between Lamar and Mopac is absolutely a huge opportunity. From an urbanist perspective, it's a substantial amount of land *directly* next to downtown that for some reason currently has self-storage places, car painting, and car dealerships which really boggles the mind. Such an obvious place to restore a light-rail or tram in to Tarrytown and hopefully densified Breckenridge track one day. There could easily be 6-8 story apartments and condos lining both sides of 5th and 6th all the way to Mopac if it was zoned appropriately and the neighborhood was on board.

I suspect the train track/Union Pacific are a big reason development has been so slow. It is *very* loud heading west towards Mopac when it hits its horn, so any residential will need to be done with that in mind. Obvious solution to me is that Union Pacific should just buy all the cheap, under used lots there, develop them, then make the necessary safety/sound wall updates to reduce noise and then sell the developed properties.
apparently UT owns a big chunk of land there (Lamar to Mopac) as well. 25 acres, the Gateway tract, that they may finally be looking to redevelop.

item B004, page 7

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...200519-wrk.htm

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:50 AM
Love Austin

I've heard that two brothers own it together and do not agree on what to do next. It will likely be another cycle or two before something happens. What's most disappointing is the lack of entitlements here. This could easily be 300-400' but for people who seem to be ok with endless sprawl...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin