HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
God I hate homeless people.

'What how can you be so heartless"

I hate them I wish I never had to see them or be around them

What's crazy is that the zeitgeist and media keeps repeating "it's a homeless crisis."

If you take a moment to venture outside - or to 1st Ave & Van Buren - it's clear that the homelessness is a consequence of an addiction/mental health crisis.

This weekend was especially bad. In fact I just walked by and the encampment was still there (typically they leave early AM during weekdays). I'm going to walk into the building today to complain yet again.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:00 PM

I had a meeting in downtown LA past week. Truly shocking and catches me off guard everytime I'm in the area.

Not normally a fan of the LA Times, but here's a timely article on the subject from this morning: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...blic-hospitals

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
I had a meeting in downtown LA past week. Truly shocking and catches me off guard everytime I'm in the area.

Not normally a fan of the LA Times, but here's a timely article on the subject from this morning: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...blic-hospitals
Yep, this article is pretty much right, most of the people that simply sprawl out on the street are unwilling or incapable of taking care of themselves there are plenty of public and private services available but that can only be accessed if these people actually tried to use them which they don't.

The only solution to these homeless camps is to take the truly sick ones and put them in protective custody. I bet many of them could get medicated and then turned back out to a somewhat normal public life on their own.

Then we could just use typically police and security to deal with general bums and loiterers who arent mentally ill and just useless.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:09 PM
Skyriser

It's called conservatorship wherein they become wards of the state. In CA, the thing that enables it is Laura's Law which empowers the various counties, but it's not used much because it's expensive and difficult to implement.

The only thing that really works for homelessness is housing first--it's the slightest bit of stability they need and then they can get cleaned up. Tiny homes on surplus property seems to be the best way to do it--the ones in San José cost about $6k to build, there's a smaller version in Oregon for $2500 but they are *tiny* even for tiny homes. Oakland doubles people up in Tuff Sheds.

Years ago, before this issue really spun out of control, the vast majority of homeless were using drugs to self-medicate severe trauma like PTSD and childhood molestation. The experience of homelessness itself is drug inducing.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The only thing that really works for homelessness is housing first--it's the slightest bit of stability they need and then they can get cleaned up. Tiny homes on surplus property seems to be the best way to do it--the ones in San José cost about $6k to build, there's a smaller version in Oregon for $2500 but they are *tiny* even for tiny homes. Oakland doubles people up in Tuff Sheds.

That only works if the government is even remotely competent. The city of Los Angeles spent $619,000,000 last year on the issue. And yes, you read that right. The CITY of Los Angeles spent 619 MILLION on homelessness LAST YEAR alone.

That's $11,660 per homeless person, if you believe the official numbers.

What did we get from it?

.... more homeless and more problems.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
God I hate homeless people.

'What how can you be so heartless"

I hate them I wish I never had to see them or be around them
You, with that statement is what's wrong with society, not the homelessness. Be less of pig, will you?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
You, with that statement is what's wrong with society, not the homelessness. Be less of pig, will you?
Yes im sorry I did not genuflect my "deep concern" enough for you online.

They are gross, nobody cares about how good of a person you claim to be.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:55 PM
Skyriser

Alright, I'm sensing this conversation getting out of control with that insult which I *really* don't like.
Back on topic.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
So idk if anyone has noticed, a retail space in the Broadstone Roosevelt has had workers in and out of the space for months now. The concrete floor has been divided up and dirt is being moved inside. The ‘For Lease’ signs have been removed as well. Any idea?

For reference, this is the spot across the street from the future Greenwood Brewery.
Seems like the 330 E Roosevelt Fox restaurant: https://ktar.com/story/2838632/fox-r...rea-locations/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
Seems like the 330 E Roosevelt Fox restaurant: https://ktar.com/story/2838632/fox-r...rea-locations/
Well that’s incorrect. Blanco is supposed to be going in Block 23. Even the article states right across the street from Arrogant Butcher. Unless they switched locations but why the other reference?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Well that’s incorrect. Blanco is supposed to be going in Block 23. Even the article states right across the street from Arrogant Butcher. Unless they switched locations but why the other reference?
Another incorrect article. What is going on? lol

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/res...rants-in-2020/
Quote:
Blanco Tacos & Tequila opening in downtown Phoenix
Opening in the first half of 2020, the new Blanco location in downtown Phoenix will be housed in a 6,997-square-foot space on the ground floor of Block 23, a high-profile mixed-use development. Located on the corner of Jefferson and Second streets, the restaurant will be directly across the street from sister restaurant, The Arrogant Butcher.

The new Phoenix location will provide guests with an eccentric and bright experience full of energy, perfect for a downtown crowd. The restaurant will have a bar experience that will be alive all day, every day coupled with Blanco’s famous modern Mexican menu. The food will offer everyone’s Blanco favorites, and at this location, the menu will incorporate new items to complement its classics.

The new Blanco is located at 330 East Roosevelt Street. For more information, visit blancotacostequila.com.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:43 PM

330 E Roosevelt is Broadstone. Someone recently said there was work going on in there though I highly doubt Blanco would open next door to PAZ.

330 E Jefferson would not be the correct address for Block 23.

My guess is one news outlet reported incorrectly and everyone else is just regurgitating that.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Another incorrect article. What is going on? lol

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/res...rants-in-2020/
They all get there primary sources from the same handful of things so if for whatever reason the address got out wrong they'll all report it wrong.

Or They are moving to Roosevelt and that isn't made clear by the reporting.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:33 PM
self-important urbanista

It would make no sense for Blanco to be located right next door to Paz Cantina. I wonder, though, if Fox is planning something else on Roosevelt.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:39 PM

I stopped by the unit in broadstone under construction while walking the dog the other day. The plumbers working in there said it was going to be a country western bar, but didn’t know which one.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:45 PM

If only the Track Club was still open we could have EDM and Country on one street!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I stopped by the unit in broadstone under construction while walking the dog the other day. The plumbers working in there said it was going to be a country western bar, but didn’t know which one.
Wouldn't be surprised to see a Whiskey Row considering we have one in Tempe, Scottsdale and Gilbert already.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised to see a Whiskey Row considering we have one in Tempe, Scottsdale and Gilbert already.
This would be great. I had mentioned earlier a concept like El Hefe (or Whiskey Row) would be extremely popular in Roosevelt.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Nice! A country bar is missing from the downtown scene, I'm sure it will make more of a difference than another craft beer venue.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:35 PM

A variance request to reduce a building setback to 0 ft was filed for 802 N 3rd St. The current location is the small, covered parking lot next to Cobra and Songbird. Wondering if this is any indication of a development in the works to eliminate another surface lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest