HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
re:[o they plan to gradually manipulate (bonsai) the trees together?

Do we have a bonsai expert on the thread?
I had a couple bonsai trees when I was a teenager but am no expert.

I trimmed and watered carefully. This went on for months. I trimmed and shaped, trimmed and shaped. I kept up the trimming. Then one morning I got a shock.

Sadly I had trimmed them to nothing....they were gone.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 28, 2019 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 5:45 PM

.....................sad... bonsai story, CBD.

.............................I can relate.

I gradually trimmed my sister's troll dolls until they were bald.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2019 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 6:06 PM

I know everyone is diligently searching for the mystery roof garden ..but I have another mystery for you.

Take a look at this snapshot currently on eBay.

eBay

I'm not 100% sure but I think the structure on the bluff is the Ennis House. (but I don't know where the photoographer is standing)

I want to see if the dirt (I don't know what else to call it) , on the left, has been leveled..& if the large house with the three dormers is still standing.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2019 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 6:20 PM

I think that's 2467 Glendower Avenue on the right. I was built in 1922, so it predates the Ennis House by two years.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I think that's 2467 Glendower Avenue on the right. I was built in 1922, so it predates the Ennis House by two years.

GSV

Go to link below and you can see the cliff at left is still there, although somewhat modified. The little yellow pegman will show you the street view.

https://goo.gl/maps/cNQbWBQPPvupQGpC8

google pegman , always ready to help noirishers

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 28, 2019 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 10:47 PM

Ranch house mystery.

1911 RPPC: House Under Construction near Los Angeles. "Out In The Country."

eBay

I don't believe I have ever seen a house quite like this one.

The reverse.
.........................................May 25, 1911 / Postmarked on the 26th

The writer lived. at 916 Diamond St. Los Angeles.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 29, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 11:42 PM

Rare Glass Negative currently on eBay

The POPPY, Pacific Electric Observation Railcar.

eBay

This is a phenomenal image!

note: The name of the railcar, 'The Poppy' is written on the front as well as the side.

not: There's a gentleman sitting in the back of the car. (and a reflection of a R.R. Crossing sign.

DETAIL

note: A closer look at the Observation Parlor Car sign in front.

detail

note: I like the barn in the background.

I forgot how to make a positive image.

Asking $270.00 Smackeroos.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 11:48 PM

e_r, here's the main image in positive:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:04 AM

Thanks odinthor!

I didn't realize it was going to be so dark.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 1:23 AM

A little lighter...My expertise includes blindly fooling around with whatever image program came with the computer

Last edited by FredH; Sep 30, 2019 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:52 PM

That looks good, buddy! Thanks FredH.

Here's a vintage cabinet card for the middle of your day.

"Auntie Harm's House"

eBay

Upon closer inspection, the street number is 4411.

DETAIL

4411 Melbourne Ave. Los Angeles Cal.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:00 PM

...and another.

Except that this house is a mystery.

"RPPC: Around 1910 - Large House in Los Angeles CA"

eBay

I thought perhaps this house is grand enough that someone might recognized it.

That must be Auntie Harm. (oops, wrong post)

The reverse is blank.

eBay

My kingdom for a clue.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 1, 2019 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
[...]
A friend and I have been planning to get to the remodeled Formosa Cafe, but haven't made it yet, but it's gotten rave reviews. After the disastrous remodeling (stripping) in 2012 or 13, which took away everything that anyone liked about the old place, this 1933 Group stepped in and brought it back to the past!
[...]

So, a couple friends of mine took me to The Formosa Cafe this past week for my birthday!

Facebook

So glad to see it back, I loved it! The photo below is not us, but the three guys on the right side in the P.E. car booth photo below is where we sat!

Upon arriving I noticed that they have removed the black and white striped awnings that were above the windows of the Red Car. That often obscured the fact that this was a red car and now when you see it from the outside it's very obvious.

Before:
LAist

Now:
TranspressNZ

THe green hedge you see is where there is now a rooftop bar. That was added in the last remodel a few years ago...the one everyone hated in terms of the restaurant's insides, but the rooftop addition is a nice touch and doesn't detract from the original restaurant look at all.

The 1933 Group (named so as 1933 was the year prohibition ended) had several red car related parts, like some "brass handles and the destination box that was on the roof of every train — rebuilt from pictures."

The staff let me look into the back area of the red car where it used to be accessible from the street back in the day, as you can see, and Mickey Cohen ran a bookie operation from. There's the original old style phone there where you could pick it up and it would ring inside and people could also order takeout from the window there. Celebrities (and gangsters) could also pick up food there if they didn't want to be recognized.

I checked out the original Yee Mee Loo bar now located in what was a semi-enclosed "smoking patio" area and had a "Yee Mee Loo" cocktail! This area now serves drinks and diners as well. This area has decor dedicated to Hollywood's Asian actors and related films.

As for the bar, according to LAist, research revealed that the bar was actually a prop that had come from the set of The Good Earth. During that movie the production team went to China and brought over tons of antiques to use in the movie. One of them was this piece, which became a shrine where characters in the film went to pray. After filming wrapped, the shrine ended up at Yee Mee Loo where it became their bar. Now, it's at the Formosa.

Inside the restaurant, in the booth that Bugsy Siegel preferred, is a safe he had installed in the floor where his minions could drop off stacks of money for Siegel to pick up if he wasn't there. (Hmmm...for what?) The restoration has this floor safe lighted from the inside and a stack of real bills inside it.

LAist

Although there was a long-standing rumor/legend that there was a tunnel connecting the movie studio to the Formosa across the street there was no evidence found of a tunnel ever existing.

The 1933 Group was doing so much research on the Formosa in the initial stages of the restoration, as part of the renovation they brought in Max Shapovalov to write a book about the history of the Formosa Cafe. He describes it as "an intensive historical investigation" and says he has been digging into the archives of libraries, city officials, Pacific Electric, the FBI and family members. The book is initially slated to appear sometime this year.

The 1933 group has previously restored the barrel-shaped Idle Hour bar in North Hollywood and Highland Bowl bar and bowling alley in Highland Park as well as the Harlowe bar in West Hollywood.

Next up: 1933 Group recently purchased the Tail o’ the Pup building and is looking for a location to put it, with luck somewhere in West Hollywood, or possibly Hollywood. So far, they have not found the right location.

Bobby Green's ultimate fantasy is to take on a much more ambitious project. He dreams of rebuilding the Brown Derby, the legendary restaurant that abruptly closed in the 1980's. It was famous for attracting Hollywood stars and for being shaped like a hat. “The original hat is now part of a strip mall on Wilshire in Koreatown,” says Green. “I’d love to someday get that hat and find a place to rebuild the Brown Derby.”

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The POPPY, Pacific Electric Observation Railcar.

This is a phenomenal image!

note: The name of the railcar, 'The Poppy' is written on the front as well as the side.

Some information on The Poppy.

archive.org - The Street Railway Review - June 1905

Upscaled version of the original picture.

https://imgur.com/V8YyQbX

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:53 AM

The POPPY, Pacific Electric Observation Railcar

[QUOTE=Noir_Noir;8703112]Some information on The Poppy.

I don't know if this is inside the now-famous Poppy but pretty swellegant:

Passengers could arrange to travel in Victorian splendor, inside the parlor car of the Pacific Electric. Some of the "business" class cars featured leather club chairs. (Photo, Los Angeles Herald, December 20, 1908)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 5:32 AM

Poppy Glass Plate

[QUOTE=MartinTurnbull;8703307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Some information on The Poppy.

I don't know if this is inside the now-famous Poppy but pretty swellegant:

Passengers could arrange to travel in Victorian splendor, inside the parlor car of the Pacific Electric. Some of the "business" class cars featured leather club chairs. (Photo, Los Angeles Herald, December 20, 1908)
Looking on F.B. P.E. street car site I found that same picture of Poppy was offered last year in Dec on Ebay. Thanks for finding additional pictures and I am wondering what happened to it...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:58 PM

What you got for a dollar on the Orange Grove Route.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald 17 June 1904

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:47 PM

I was in Santa Monica a couple of weeks ago.

I took the Metro Expo line from there to Downtown LA and back. A very fine, pleasant ride through a good cross section of LA. It was the middle of the day and the riders included college students, folks going to work, and a couple of lawyers talking about a case. A mix of the races/ethnicities/classes that make up LA. The line went through West LA, Palms, Culver City, South Central, Exposition Park,USC.... Notable was a lot of construction going on along the line - residential and commercial, plus many storage buildings.

I grew up riding LA street cars and the red cars. The 7 car stopped at Slauson and Broadway, where my family lived, and we took it downtown.

I had lunch at The Original Pantry, where my father used to take me in the ‘50s and ‘60s.

The same day early in the morning I walked from The Santa Monica Pier to Venice and back along the beach front. Venice is still.....ummmm.....interesting.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Slim View Post
I was in Santa Monica a couple of weeks ago.

I took the Metro Expo line from there to Downtown LA and back. A very fine, pleasant ride through a good cross section of LA. It was the middle of the day and the riders included college students, folks going to work, and a couple of lawyers talking about a case. A mix of the races/ethnicities/classes that make up LA. The line went through West LA, Palms, Culver City, South Central, Exposition Park,USC.... Notable was a lot of construction going on along the line - residential and commercial, plus many storage buildings.

I grew up riding LA street cars and the red cars. The 7 car stopped at Slauson and Broadway, where my family lived, and we took it downtown.

I had lunch at The Original Pantry, where my father used to take me in the ‘50s and ‘60s.

The same day early in the morning I walked from The Santa Monica Pier to Venice and back along the beach front. Venice is still.....ummmm.....interesting.
I took a similar trip last year, though in the opposite direction(Glendale to Union Station, Red Line to Expo to Santa Monica, walk to Venice and return). A really nice trip.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 9:21 PM

I just finished an excellent book on early 20th centuty L.A. called "The Mirage Factory" by Gary Krist. It follows the rise and fall of William Mullholland, Sister Aimee, and DW Griffith and the effect each had on the development of L.A. Lots or noirish touches--I highly recommend it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos