HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyJenkins View Post
They are still working on completing the design documents for the project. Early work won't start until January or February of 2020.
Work should start later this year on the work inside of the Convention Center to prepare for the upcoming demolition and excavation for the CCH. Plans have already been submitted to get the appropriate approvals to begin the work.

Regarding Block 67, this is still going through the City Council process and is slated to complete the approval in early October. Once the approval is given, they can apply for the various permits. I would expect a possible start in December or January.

For Phase 2 items, the plan is to build the podium and the Residential and hotel towers first. The Commercial tower will be built based on market demand. It is possible that it will be built at the same time as the Residential and hotel towers but time will tell. Phase 2 isn't planned to start until late 2024 to early 2025 due to existing leases.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:43 PM

Is the cascade tower in city creek still on hold are they still going build it or what ever happen to that project

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 11:57 PM

I forgot about that tower. Thanks for bringing that up. Can someone post a pic of it? I believe that CCRI is letting Boyer build their Liberty Sky res. tower before they begin on Tower 2.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:25 AM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I was thinking the same thing on both counts Orlando. As far as S. Temple, I can't wait for the day when those blocks west of Temple Square are fully developed into something other than giant parking lots. It would be great if the LDS Church would really expand their Business College and their BYU Salt Lake Campus. Something along the line of a modern very urban Columbia. A Campus that is very perimeter dense with high rise housing, classrooms, etc., but also beautifully landscaped courtyards/common areas toward the centers of the blocks.
With the recent emphasis on removing references to "Mormon" and "LDS" from church programs and properties, I've wondered if LDS Business College will change its name. Like Delts, I'd love to see the 10-acre parking lot east of the Triad Center developed, and perhaps a name change, merger with BYU Salt Lake Center, and a campus expansion could be in the cards. One can dream.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:19 AM

^
I had the same thought. My, unfounded, suspicion is that the church will make big changes to LDSBC and BYU Salt Lake soon. probably involving the Pathway program.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:22 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
I had the same thought. My, unfounded, suspicion is that the church will make big changes to LDSBC and BYU Salt Lake soon. probably involving the Pathway program.
Pathways are using BYUI as the school for education. I do know the main offices for those running Pathways and Pathways Connect are in Salt Lake at the LDSBC and BYU SLC locations. Not really sure how much space Pathways would need since it's an online system. Pathways Connect where you gather with a group for that first year needs space but it's set up where they meet at churches or seminary/institute buildings.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:21 PM

I noticed that Pathway connect graduates are now able to attend LDSBC at the pathway tuition rate and as Utaaah pointed out, the church is removing the term "LDS" from the names of church institutions.
My thinking is that the church my use this as an opportunity to rethink the roll of LDSBC and BYU Salt Lake and try to create something that would reach more people and give them better higher education options. The fact that we have not yet heard anything about a renaming of LDSBC further fuels my suspicion.

That's how I would approach it, but I have no idea what they are actually thinking or what effect, if any, it would have on those church owned blocks between LDSBC and Temple square.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
The APS Tower would be the only one I'm rooting against. I think tearing down those buildings that front 100 South would be a major loss, especially when there's space for a narrower tower on the vacant property behind them.
For as long as the Prisko's plan are to demolish those storefronts, I'll be hoping their plans never materialize.
I looked back at a few of my texted messages with Mr Priskos. I figure at this point it would be ok to share what he said about the corner lots. He was trying to acquire the last remaining parcels on the corner but he did have plans in the event he wasn’t able to get them. I sure wish we could see what could have been if he and DDRM were able to build the CCH on the APS site.

Qoute from Mr Priskos “We have submitted and presented to GOED with and without the corner. We feel confident that we met all the requirements. The 10th meeting was cancelled. They want us to show our financing then they will announce. We still are not allowed to say anything. ”

I don’t now who owns what on that corner near the APS site but it’s possible they could build something without demolishing those corner buildings.

Anyone know anybody over at the GOED? That would be nice to have a source from that department.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:40 PM

Deleted*

Last edited by Pencil; Sep 12, 2019 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
I looked back at a few of my texted messages with Mr Priskos. I figure at this point it would be ok to share what he said about the corner lots. He was trying to acquire the last remaining parcels on the corner but he did have plans in the event he wasn’t able to get them. I sure wish we could see what could have been if he and DDRM were able to build the CCH on the APS site.

Qoute from Mr Priskos “We have submitted and presented to GOED with and without the corner. We feel confident that we met all the requirements. The 10th meeting was cancelled. They want us to show our financing then they will announce. We still are not allowed to say anything. ”

I don’t now who owns what on that corner near the APS site but it’s possible they could build something without demolishing those corner buildings.

Anyone know anybody over at the GOED? That would be nice to have a source from that department.

I think the financing part is the biggest question for them. We have plenty of ambitious yet under-experienced developers.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:12 PM

Utah apartment market still hot, report says

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/9/...-market-report

A UTA bus moves along 200 South while construction of a luxury apartment building progresses in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018. The Wasatch Front rental housing market is maintaining a level of prosperity for investors and meeting the ongoing demand of prospective tenants in search of places to live, a new report shows. Laura Seitz, Deseret News

Last edited by delts145; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:23 PM

I really need to learn how to easily put pictures up on here, but I drove around downtown today and saw some new developments.

The site for "The Birdie" on 2nd and 2nd had a backhoe and work was being done on the parking lot, but no fence up. Also the site where "Moda Lux" is going to be, all the buildings are boarded up there as well.

There were also upwards of 3-4 more sites in east downtown (around 2nd east and 1st to 3rd south area) with older apartment buildings that were boarded up and looked as though they were either going to be renovated or demoed and something new was going up. One such example is the old Ichiban Sushi location, it was all fenced up. That being said, it is visible that alot is starting to happen in the downtown area in addition to the bigger projects that are getting more headlines.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:00 PM

Go to a picture hosting site like this one and upload it and it will give you a several codes to choose from to host it somewhere else online. Sometimes it will give you a code that says that it's for message forums, which is what this forum is. I use this site: https://imgbb.com/. After uploading the image, I copy the 'BBCcode full linked' code. Then while having a post or reply open on this forum, click on the yellow square icon at top, which has a mountain and sun silhouette. Paste the code into that, and then complete your post. There you go!

Last edited by Orlando; Sep 14, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:05 AM

The Morton

The Exchange

Quattro apartments

Liberty Sky

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 11:10 PM
Ironweed

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Jedikermit, I was on google maps marking each tower in its spot in my mind and was noticing that there won't be much of any space within the D1 zone "if" all of those get built. Unless one of these towers ends up 500-600 feet there won't be space for something to give the skyline more height in the core of the city. Only spot remaining would be the Zions bank lot on the corner of Main and 100 S.
If SLC actually builds a 600 ft. tower, I will pay Comrade $250,000 to dress up in his favorite "It" costume, waste up, no pants below, and run around for five minutes any where in downtown for five minutes.

You heard it here first.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 11:35 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
If SLC actually builds a 600 ft. tower, I will pay Comrade $250,000 to dress up in his favorite "It" costume, waste up, no pants below, and run around for five minutes any where in downtown for five minutes.

You heard it here first.
Quoting. For history. In case you run for public office or become a general authority.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Quoting. For history. In case you run for public office or become a general authority.
"A general authority of what?" said 99.999% of everyone everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Jedikermit, I was on google maps marking each tower in its spot in my mind and was noticing that there won't be much of any space within the D1 zone "if" all of those get built. Unless one of these towers ends up 500-600 feet there won't be space for something to give the skyline more height in the core of the city. Only spot remaining would be the Zions bank lot on the corner of Main and 100 S.
I used to think that, but after looking around awhile, I now think there are still plenty of potential sites left in the Central Business District for new towers, though some that are easier to develop then others.

Site #1: the SW corner of Pierpont Ave and West Temple
D1 Zone (Central Business District) & Salt Lake City Warehouse Historic District
Currently a surface parking lot that wraps around the old historic 'Perry Hotel.'

Site #2: the SW corner of West Temple and 300 South
D1 Zone (Central Business District)
Just north of the 370 Millennium site, there is currently a surface parking lot and a 2 floor bar named 'Gracie's.'

Site #3: the SE corner of West Temple and 300 South
Currently there is just an old 1 floor building (I think abandoned) and a large surface parking lot

Site #4: the NW corner of Main Street and Market Street
D1 Zone (Central Business District) & Exchange Place Historic District
Currently the location of 'The Melting Pot,' this would be the perfect place to put a sleek new tower right in the heart of Main Street downtown. However, it sits in the EPHD, which might make its development more difficult (but I don't think the building is 'contributing' so I suspect redevelopment is still possible).

Site #5: midblock stretch on Main Street between 300 South and Exchange Place
D1 Zone (Central Business District) & Exchange Place Historic District
Currently, this site is a series of old one floor buildings between two taller historic buildings that house a few restaurants on Main Street. I'd like to see a tower project similar to what has recently been proposed for the Pantages Theater (Utah Theater) site.

Site #6: Full 10 acre block between 400 South and 500 South & West Temple to Main Street
The fact that there is still a 10 acre parking lot on Main Street right in the CBD is insane! I think it would be cool if we could see a project of similar size and scope to CityCreek, potentially spanning this block and the block directly west where the Sheraton is located (also in the D1 Zone). If built to that scale, we could easily see anywhere from 3-7 towers located on this one block alone.

Site #7: the NE corner of Main Street and 500 South
I'm not really sure why, but currently this is just a bunch of grass right next to the new DA office building. I think this could make a really cool, thin, and sleek residential tower.

Site #8: SE corner of State Street and 300 South
I think this site was recently mentioned as having just been bought by the same group that owns the Carl's Jr. site (Kensington Tower project). Another great State Street location in the D1 zone for development and its small lot size could make for a nice, slender, and tall tower.

Site #9: NW corner of Exchange Place and State Street
Currently occupied by a 1 floor building with a restaurant called the 'Pie Hole,' I think this would be another great State Street location for a tower.

Site #10: NE corner of State Street and 400 South
Currently, this site is an enormous surface parking lot (likely used by the offices around it). Parking could likely be negotiated with those offices into a new parking structure, leaving most of the site for tower development. A tower on this site would have stunning views of the city & county building, the library, the rest of downtown, and the valley.

Site #11: the SE corner of Edison Street and 300 South
This site is a thin strip of surface parking that I think could, again, be made into an awesome thin residential tower.

Site #12: the NW corner of 200 East and 300 South
Currently occupied by surface parking and a few 1 floor small businesses. Another great corner site for tower development.

Site #13: the NE corner of 200 East and 300 South
Currently occupied by surface parking and a few 2 floor small businesses. Another great corner site for tower development.

Site #14: the SE corner of 200 East and 300 South
Currently, I think there is some sort of tire service there. This property sits right on the eastern edge of the D1 zone.

Site #15: Full 10 acre block between North Temple and South Temple & 300 West to 200 West
D1 Zone (Central Business District)(southern half) & UI Zone (Urban Institutional) (northern half)
This site has also just recently been discussed, and is currently another full 10 acre surface parking lot with half of it in the D1 Zone.

Site #16: the SE corner of South Temple and 300 West
Currently occupied by a 1 floor business and surface parking, this corner lot could make for another cool tower.

Site #17: the NE corner of North Temple and 200 West
UI Zone (Urban Institutional)
Currently there is a bunch of surface parking and an abandoned 1 floor building (I think it was a restaurant at one point). More perfect land for major redevelopment.

Site #18: the SE corner of South Temple and 200 West
This site has been fenced around for awhile now for some reason, but I again think this would be a great D1 corner lot primed for tower development.

Site #19: the NW corner of South Temple and West Temple
While more of dream then anything, I have always hated the look of the Plaza Hotel and have hoped one day we would see it torn down and replaced. I think it could be a great location for either a residential tower similar to 99 West across the intersection or maybe a high class four or five star luxury hotel to replace the Plaza.

There are still a few more, but I felt that these are most of the major sites that are still available for development. I personally think the city should be working hard with the owners of these sites to encourage as much high density development as possible, though I understand that can be difficult.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Sep 15, 2019 at 8:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:42 AM

Some of those lots feature some of the best/most interesting restaurants and bars in the city (Gracie's, Takashi, Whiskey Street, Pie Hole, Melting Pot, etc)

There are still plenty of surface parking lots left to develop. In addition to the full-block surface parking lots between North/South Temple and 200/300 West, and 400/500 South and Main Street/W Temple, I've also always thought the parking lot on the corner of 400 South and State was in desperate need of something.

At least things do seem to be moving forward, if somewhat slowly. I think the 2020s are going to be a great decade for Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 5:37 PM
SLC Lifer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I used to think that, but after looking around awhile, I now think there are still plenty of potential sites left in the Central Business District for new towers, though some that are easier to develop then others.

There are still a few more, but I felt that these are most of the major sites that are still available for development. I personally think the city should be working hard with the owners of these sites to encourage as much high density development as possible, though I understand that can be difficult.
Other than wiping out the entire food and beverage base of downtown, thanks for putting this together. I understand it's more of an inventory than anything else... Truly epic post!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West