HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:17 PM
World Traveler

I really like that in the location also. It brings a lot more density and the glass up against the white of its neighbor is a nice change - even if it is more reflective blue glass.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Only somewhat related . . . looking at the smidgen of the Towers of Town Lake property in the lower right hand portion of that shot . . .

. . . if a developer was able to buy those folks out, they'd take control of enough open acreage to easily fit four (or five, or six?) towers. That's an amazing amount of not-particularly dense land in a very in-demand section of the city.
I have had that thought before too. Mostly due to the recent buyouts. If we're adding to the list, apparently, Avenue Lofts has received a buyout offer. Anyway, the Towers site could rival whatever the WeWork project was/is. It could be ginormous.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 10:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I have had that thought before too. Mostly due to the recent buyouts. If we're adding to the list, apparently, Avenue Lofts has received a buyout offer. Anyway, the Towers site could rival whatever the WeWork project was/is. It could be ginormous.
It would really suck to lose the Avenue Lofts building. Austin doesn't have many good examples of art-deco architecture, but that building is one the best we have. It reminds me of what you'd see in South Beach.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It would really suck to lose the Avenue Lofts building. Austin doesn't have many good examples of art-deco architecture, but that building is one the best we have. It reminds me of what you'd see in South Beach.
Isn't it a historic building? It dates back to the late 1800's/early 1900's I believe. The art deco/moderne retrofit was done in the 30's or 40's.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Isn't it a historic building? It dates back to the late 1800's/early 1900's I believe. The art deco/moderne retrofit was done in the 30's or 40's.
I'm not sure. Even if it is historic, I'm not sure that means that it can't be re-developed at all. The plan may be to integrate the building like the Masonic Lodge? Hard to say at this point.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 7:14 PM

This part of town really feels ready to pop recently. The Carmelo's parcel flipped, Brush Square is going to kick off Phase 1 of its master plan, the downtown red line station is already in gear, and a block or so away not only is 5th and Brazos well on its way, the next block south just changed hands for some serious $$. Oh and also the Railyard lofts. Not to mention whatever's happening with ACC.

We should get back to 44 East but it's worth noting how dizzying the changes are in other quadrants of DT, too.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:26 PM

As part of site plan approval, the developer and City reached an agreement as to how much the developer should chip in for the cost of 11 transportation improvements planned for the Rainey St. District:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...YjDFwczQ%3D%3D

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:31 AM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Cheap, low budget rectangle it is. Guess they couldn’t afford an architect. Hopefully this project fails so something better can go up later.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:43 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I actually like it. Interested to see how the top turns out.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I actually like it. Interested to see how the top turns out.
What do you like about it?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:48 PM

I'd temper expectations a bit if this is a residential tower. It's literally right next to the interstate. I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not going to pay top dollar for something that has to hear I-35 noise 24/7. That has to factor into the developers financial models.

Maybe I'm wrong. Just my 2 cents

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:36 PM

Keep in mind the model is missing the podium, which makes it look stumpier. Add ~10 stories and a setback and I think it looks a lot sleeker.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 1:47 AM

wtf is up with the crown?? It looks like its having a bad crown day. Can we not get a decent topper in this city??!! That's even worse than the Independent's.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 4:39 AM
Meh

I think we're getting a wrong impression since the model isn't complete. I don't have a problem with it, at least based on the renderings we've seen. I will say it's a bit repetitive a la Colorado Tower and the Fairmount "crowns" - but whateves.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 6:47 AM

The top of the model is not finished. Here's a previously posted rendering. One thing the model shows that the rendering doesn't, is a north and west facing amenities level.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 3:36 PM

This building is a basic residential tower of significant height that will definitely take attention away from the very boring, and poorly painted, Windsor on the Lake next door. I have never liked the "hanging" balconies like the ones used here on the rendering(The model is unclear). I have been on them high up and I have not felt comfortable and safe. Having them inside the exterior wall is much more private and cozy. And as mentioned, being that exposed to IH35 noise on those balconies might be a bit much as well. Otherwise this tower will be a nice addition to the skyline. The crown if lit, will be simple but nice.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
This building is a basic residential tower of significant height that will definitely take attention away from the very boring, and poorly painted, Windsor on the Lake next door. I have never liked the "hanging" balconies like the ones used here on the rendering(The model is unclear). I have been on them high up and I have not felt comfortable and safe. Having them inside the exterior wall is much more private and cozy. And as mentioned, being that exposed to IH35 noise on those balconies might be a bit much as well. Otherwise this tower will be a nice addition to the skyline. The crown if lit, will be simple but nice.
Yet another reason to build these decks higher up, away from ground-level noise.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 10:50 PM
Love Austin

This one is really exciting. It's good to have an out of town developer stepping up and investing in our DT in a big way. We're quickly approaching a time with no condos UC DT and that's not good. As for the design, I find it quite handsome.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
This one is really exciting. It's good to have an out of town developer stepping up and investing in our DT in a big way. We're quickly approaching a time with no condos UC DT and that's not good. As for the design, I find it quite handsome.
You're right. There are no condo towers underway downtown. 48 East is really just an extended stay hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin