HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
Toronto is another city that over exposes itself. Maybe it's a size thing?
I agree. I wish Torontonians here would pump the brakes a bit (a lot) with the civic pride and over-posting of pics and pro-Toronto arguments. It seems like almost every thread turns into a discussion of whether Toronto is better than this or that city, or has better _____ than this or that city. It's tiresome.

On the other hand, there is much truth to the argument that some people, mostly in Canada, have an irrational hatred for Toronto, and like to disparage it at every oportunity.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:05 PM
Volatile Pacivist

It just seems over exposed on here because of its relative lack of underexposure in real life (non urban-issues forums) and people notice the contrast and incorrectly assume the issue is too much exposure here rather than too little elsewhere (argumentum ad populum).

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I've never liked Austin's skyline. I think almost all the buildings are hideously suburban. Nothing outstanding or enhancing. I remember driving through there quite a few times back in 89 and I think it's lost whatever charm it had. Yet the people there sure love to over expose it with posting pictures of it repeatedly and at every opportunity. Nothing wrong with some pride. Toronto is another city that over exposes itself. Maybe it's a size thing?
It's a construction thing. The cities building the most, thus changing the most, tend to update those changes the most.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:59 AM

I suddenly feel inspired to post some more Toronto pics

Southcore #26 by Michael Muraz, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Toronto Cityscape by Robert Rutkay, on Flickr

sometimes I wonder why by Dustin William, on Flickr

City of Night by Rixin Wang, on Flickr

Last edited by Nite; May 4, 2019 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
It's a construction thing. The cities building the most, thus changing the most, tend to update those changes the most.
There are other places for construction updates.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 8:37 AM
Meh

Quote:
I've never liked Austin's skyline. I think almost all the buildings are hideously suburban. Nothing outstanding or enhancing. I remember driving through there quite a few times back in 89 and I think it's lost whatever charm it had. Yet the people there sure love to over expose it with posting pictures of it repeatedly and at every opportunity. Nothing wrong with some pride. Toronto is another city that over exposes itself. Maybe it's a size thing?
Not pride. Just sharing a record of the boom for others to see. I really don't care what anyone thinks. Part of it is also that there is a large drone photography community here that coincides with the tech presence. Most of the office towers in that photo are tech companies. I'll be one of the first to tell you that I think the designs of some of those buildings are lacking. We do have some really nice new buildings, but there are a lot of others that are really pretty boring.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 4, 2019 at 8:53 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 12:47 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

it would be nice to see more high-quality aerials here of cities besides Toronto and Austin.

Washington, DC (actually part of Arlington and Alexandria)

[IMG]DC and Potomac River from Alexandria by Dennis Dimick, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by John Sonderman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
There are other places for construction updates.
Incredibly obtuse comment. The totality of these cities are changing fast enough where pictures from today could look very different from, say, 1-2 years ago. The construction updates are for singular projects, but if a city builds a new tallest building (such as Austin) or a slew of 200m+ towers (Toronto) the entire dynamics of those cities change enough to warrant an update in the general threads.

Also, these threads are updated by users, so if you don't see enough of a city you are interested in YOU CAN FIND PICTURES AND UPDATE THIS TOO. I recommend hopping on flickr, typing the name of the city you want (with the word aerial or drone attached for this specific thread) and sorting by either date uploaded or date taken. Find a new picture, post it, and stop criticizing others for doing the same!

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 3:53 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

An excellent suggestion

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Incredibly obtuse comment. The totality of these cities are changing fast enough where pictures from today could look very different from, say, 1-2 years ago. The construction updates are for singular projects, but if a city builds a new tallest building (such as Austin) or a slew of 200m+ towers (Toronto) the entire dynamics of those cities change enough to warrant an update in the general threads.

Also, these threads are updated by users, so if you don't see enough of a city you are interested in YOU CAN FIND PICTURES AND UPDATE THIS TOO. I recommend hopping on flickr, typing the name of the city you want (with the word aerial or drone attached for this specific thread) and sorting by either date uploaded or date taken. Find a new picture, post it, and stop criticizing others for doing the same!
Thank you for you very fine suggestion. I guess we don't see eye to eye. I'm just saying 6 pictures of Austin, 5 of Toronto, 3 more of Austin, 4 more of Toronto, page after page is obsessive. I'm not looking for anything in particular at all. I did enjoy the D.C> addition. Something you don't ever see.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you for you very fine suggestion. I guess we don't see eye to eye. I'm just saying 6 pictures of Austin, 5 of Toronto, 3 more of Austin, 4 more of Toronto, page after page is obsessive. I'm not looking for anything in particular at all. I did enjoy the D.C> addition. Something you don't ever see.
People typically post the cities where they live, followed by the cities they have been often. For instance, I semi spam Boston, but also post other New England cities, plus Philadelphia, Baltimore, Richmond, NC Cities, Upstate NY cities, NYC, Montreal, and sometimes others.

I think the bigger quibble is, why aren't people from these other cities properly representing them?

Also, just an FYI, skycrapercity has a much more robust international presence (outside US and Canada) so check that site out too if you're more interested in European, Asian, and Australian cities. (you may notice constant spamming of Bangkok and the Mexican cities in particular)

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
it would be nice to see more high-quality aerials here of cities besides Toronto and Austin.

Washington, DC (actually part of Arlington and Alexandria)

[IMG]DC and Potomac River from Alexandria by Dennis Dimick, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by John Sonderman, on Flickr[/IMG]
Home, 1967-88.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 11:00 PM

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
People typically post the cities where they live, followed by the cities they have been often. For instance, I semi spam Boston, but also post other New England cities, plus Philadelphia, Baltimore, Richmond, NC Cities, Upstate NY cities, NYC, Montreal, and sometimes others.

I think the bigger quibble is, why aren't people from these other cities properly representing them?

Also, just an FYI, skycrapercity has a much more robust international presence (outside US and Canada) so check that site out too if you're more interested in European, Asian, and Australian cities. (you may notice constant spamming of Bangkok and the Mexican cities in particular)
Colocaria a las ciudades argentinas en lugares de la ciudades mexicanas, son mas esbeltas, mas esteticas y con mejores skyline.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
No one is forcing you to look at any photos that annoy you. Post some photos of your own and I'm sure everyone would welcome them. There should be plenty of good ones from MN/WI.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
No one is forcing you to look at any photos that annoy you. Post some photos of your own and I'm sure everyone would welcome them. There should be plenty of good ones from MN/WI.
Well that's technically not true as I do have to scroll through them and there's always that one person who makes a 4 word comment but has to re-paste all the pictures and often on the same page no less.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:17 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Ill try to post some photos of some less exposed cities.

SF and Oakland:

[IMG]San Francisco Bay Area by Sergio Ruiz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:24 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Chicago 2019:

[IMG]Chicago, 2019 by Greg Wass, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:30 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Saskatoon Canada:

[IMG]Central Saskatoon i6325 by ferreth, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:35 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Portland, OR 2018:

[IMG]downtown Portland by Eric Prado, on Flickr[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos