HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

50 West 66th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:10 AM

99.999% of the country is land that is either undeveloped or if developed, only has short buildings on it. (If you look on a map of the U.S., cities are just dots and the CBD’s of the cities where there are tall buildings are just dots within the dots. That just shows you how tiny the areas are where there are tall buildings).

These NIMBYs decide to live in the 0.001% part of the country that has tall buildings on it and then complain about and fight against tall buildings.

That’s how ridiculous these people are.

Last edited by antinimby; Mar 14, 2018 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:17 AM

BTW, all these NIMBYs themselves live in tall buildings.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
BTW, all these NIMBYs themselves live in tall buildings.
It's worse. I can't find the article but the face/voice of the neighborhood opposition for 200 Amsterdam lives in a rent controlled apartment in one of the most expensive zip codes in the nation. It's insane.

And presumably since city government is now in the business of policing floor to ceiling heights in residential buildings, every other problem in the city must have been solved. We did it!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:41 PM

^ And unfortunately the politicians end up listening to them even though they are a very small minority. I read somewhere that most regular NY’ers (the silent majority) are not against tall buildings. But because of how it is set up (people that don’t object to towers are not going to fight for them while the few that do object to towers are always going to work on fighting them) the most vocal minority gets their voices heard and zoning laws catered to and passed based on their NIMBY complaints.

All the downzonings, height limits, etc. throughout the city are the result of NIMBYs complaining about “overdevelopment, non-contextual buildings, traffic, etc.”

Last edited by antinimby; Mar 16, 2018 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 12:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

With an anticipated 2019 completion, I suspect Q4, this should move quite rapidly.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:06 AM

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:35 AM
New Yorker for life

NIMBY tears are so sweet...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...t-say-one-word

A tower of 775 feet, and we can't say one word
How does a building twice the size of its neighbors avoid community review?

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...-180729950.jpg

By Chris Giordano
July 27, 2018

Quote:
I’m sitting in a conference room above West 87th Street listening with disbelief to a debate about the difference between a “too tall” building and a “super tall” building in the context of our community. I’m also wondering whether the expression “out-of-context” can even apply to these buildings, given that the word “context” has its own meaning when applied to zoning.

Manhattan Community Board 7 has already passed resolutions and written countless letters stating its opposition to these new megastructures, which tower over everything in our residential neighborhood and threaten its character and quality of life. Yet the backhoes and cranes continued to operate, despite our requests that the Department of City Planning quickly expand disclosure rules so communities can review new local developments.

These meetings have become central to my life over the past few years, beginning when we learned of the behemoth that was to rise to twice the height of any other building in the area. I love my neighborhood, a collection of pre-and post-war buildings that now must endure the filth and the racket of a midblock construction site that spans two residential streets—West 65th and 66th. There, the developer Extell is in the initial stages of erecting an out-of-scale 775-foot, 127-unit luxury apartment building, rising as high as a typical 80-story structure.
Quote:
As founder and president of the local block association, it has become my mission to try to understand the process whereby a building like this can be built as-of-right, meaning without community review or City Council approval. The local community board is against it, as is our City Council member, Helen Rosenthal, and Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer. Even the mayor directed the City Planning Commission to address the issue of massive voids—empty spaces in the middle of buildings that serve no purpose other than to provide apartments above the void with spectacular views.

Then I hit on a plan: why not invite City Planning Commissioner Marisa Lago to speak to our community about the commission’s vision for development throughout New York and what that means for our neighborhood. It seemed like a reasonable request; after all, we are taxpayers, stakeholders and voters. Shouldn’t we be entitled to hear the thinking behind the policies that are allowing the city to change before our eyes?

Initially, I was told that the commission had identified no development issues in our neighborhood—a stance it amended when reminded of the community board letters and resolutions. Then I was told that the commission staff was too small and too busy to speak with one community group. To that objection I offered to assemble a large group of many community associations. I persisted with many weeks of follow-up phone calls and e-mails, but never received an answer.

In the meantime, the gaping hole in the ground outside my window is growing deeper and the shaking and vibrating is less frequent—which likely means that the excavation process is nearing completion. And that can only mean that construction will begin soon, without the neighborhood having had a chance to learn about this project, let alone to weigh in on its appropriateness.

In my most cynical moments, I wonder if this is the way the city government wants it. In this city, with its grand history of civic engagement, we now are meant to be mute and powerless as we watch a building tower over the neighborhood, cast deep shadows on Central Park and change life in this area forever.

We are suffering the unintended consequences of outdated zoning laws combined with a city government that pretends these buildings will help solve our affordable housing and homelessness problems. What’s really happening is that aggressive developers are being given permission to radically alter the skyline and livability of our city, while citizens are denied the opportunity to participate in the process.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:16 PM

^99.9% of the land area of this country is devoid of skyscrapers, and this guy lives in and acts surprised when the .1% known for its skyscrapers has new and taller ones constructed.

In other news for this genius, water is wet

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:19 PM

Is he for real? I mean if someone came along and proposed a 400-story Blade Runner monolith with LED billboard walls and an international airport on the roof, and wanted to plop that at 66th and CPW, I think pretty much everybody would be opposed to that (unless you really like sci-fi). But a 700ft building in a city with literally hundreds of 700ft buildings (several of which are located in the immediate area), built by an acclaimed architectural firm and a developer known for high-quality projects? Really no argument against it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Nobody is forcing you to live in NYC dude, if you want to live in the suburbs just move to the suburbs.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From the post of blasphemy...

" As founder and president of the local block association, it has become my mission to try to understand the process whereby a building like this can be built as-of-right "

This alone speaks volumes.

" In the meantime, the gaping hole in the ground outside my window is growing deeper and the shaking and vibrating is less frequent—which likely means that the excavation process is nearing completion. And that can only mean that construction will begin soon "

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
we now are meant to be mute and powerless as we watch a building tower over the neighborhood, cast deep shadows on Central Park and change life in this area forever.
Do these kind of people live in the real world? They've been so used to living a posh NYC lifestyle where they think the whole world revolves around them that they've forgotten that most people in America are flat broke and have way bigger problems than skyscrapers going up in a skyscraper city. He even says the neighborhood is suffering because of this skyscraper going up. That article could have been one of the most pretentious things I've ever read.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 9:09 PM

Work Temporarily Stalls on One Mega-Development as Another Races Ahead
October 4, 2018
by West Sider

Quote:
Developers are moving quickly to construct two buildings that are expected to become the first and second tallest buildings on the Upper West Side.

But work on one of those projects — a development expected to rise 775 feet at 36 West 66th Street — stalled last week when an excavator flipped over. The photo above by Chris Giordano of the 65th-66th Street Block Association shows the machine after the incident. No one was injured, according to a Department of Buildings worker. This week, the stop work order was lifted and work could begin soon, Giordano said. The company did not respond to a request for comment. Neighbors have challenged the project’s zoning.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:01 AM
DENNAB

Well that sucks... but how time consuming is it to just bring in a crane and flip it back over? Those things must weigh 40+ tons so the crane would have to be pretty big though.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I forgot about this development. Oh man... only in NY does one forget about a 775 ft development.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 7:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Extell’s UWS tower could be imperiled if city cracks down on this building trick
DOB says project doesn't violate zoning code

Quote:
The city’s Department of Building says Extell Development’s Upper West Side apartment building abides by current zoning rules — but the battle over the tower’s height might be far from over.

Extell plans a 770-foot tower at 50 West 66th Street, a project that some city officials and residents have publicly opposed through a zoning challenge filed with the DOB. On Thursday, City Council member Helen Rosenthal, who opposes the project, announced that the DOB had rejected the challenge.

But the de Blasio administration announced earlier this year that it would regulate a key design feature of Extell’s project: structural voids. These are floors for a building’s mechanical equipment, but developers have increasingly used the space as a way to boost the height of their luxury towers without adding additional residential space. Doing so allows the developers to charge more per square foot. According to Crain’s, the city is expected to announce reforms to the structural voids by the end of the year.

“I’m hopeful Mayor de Blasio will still make good on his promise, via zoning changes, before [the DOB] approves this 770-foot building,” Rosenthal said.
=====================
TRD

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Snøhetta-designed Upper West Side tower can rise, says DOB

Quote:
Last year, Snøhetta revealed its designs for Extell’s Upper West Side tower at 50 West 66th Street, which were met by opposition from some local residents, along with City Councilmember Helen Rosenthal.

The argument was that the proposed 775-foot-tall tower was “out of context” for the neighborhood and City Council land use staff believed that zoning code does not permit a project this tall at the location where the building will rise. Those in opposition also took issue with the empty spaces between several floors that boosts the building’s overall height without actually adding any extra square footage, stating that this was a tactic used to make the upper apartments more profitable. However, the Department of Buildings says otherwise.

“We carefully reviewed the community challenge, but determined that the arguments therein were not valid,” said a DOB spokesperson in a statement to Crain’s New York. Ultimately, it was determined that the hollow spaces were within building and zoning codes.

If the tower is approved as planned, it will become the neighborhood’s tallest building, surpassing the planned 668-foot skyscraper at 200 Amsterdam Avenue. The de Blasio administration had said that it would crack down on structural voids, however, no new legislation that would do so has been introduced. Nevertheless, Rosenthal remains hopeful that the mayor will “make good on his promise, via zoning changes” before the 775-foot tower is approved.
======================
CurbedNY

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 4:28 PM

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 7:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Glad this is making headway.

Both the UWS and UES are making a lot of progress, especially having new tallest(s) for those respective neighborhoods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction