HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:01 PM

Have we seen this image before? I searched likely terms, but came up empty.

Photograph taken at the head of 5th Street on Fremont looking east, showing possibilities of extending 5th Street thru to Olive Street, Los Angeles, 1922

In the background, the State Normal School doesn't have long left. To its right is BIOLA. The building with the undulating roof in front of the State Normal School has a sign saying "Normal Garage". I could only find that name in the 1914 CD (with an address as 500 S Flower Street). The directories contemporary with this picture list the garage of C D Morris at that location. I'm guessing that the "Normal Garage" name was due to its proximity to the school rather than a direct connection.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:50 PM

looks like someone didn't know how to parallel park.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 12, 2017 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
HH, I knew that the tunnel would be below the burials, but I thought they may have used the 'cut and cover' method back in 1901.

More importantly HH, did they find any of those lizard people

The troubles with using cut-and-cover for the Hollywood Subway are (1) the cut would have to be really deep toward the crown of the hill and (2) there were structures above the right-of-way that would've required purchase and demolition.

However, you triggered an interesting thought about the proposed (1907) but never built Vineyard Subway that would've run from the LAP/PE Hill St. Station to Venice and San Vicente Blvds. LAP/PE/SP for decades held properties/easements that cut a swath through what's now Koreatown. It's possible they employed that strategy because cut-and-cover construction would've made sense for much of the route then. (I'm not sure if the Vineyard Subway has been discussed on NLA before; my search attempt failed.)

OTOH, I'm afraid that contemporaneous reports of the Hollywood Subway's construction made no mention of Lizard People, though there are some who might say that various characters in the Frank Shaw administration bore a striking resemblance.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

The troubles with using cut-and-cover for the Hollywood Subway are (1) the cut would have to be really deep toward the crown of the hill and (2) there were structures above the right-of-way that would've required purchase and demolition.

However, you triggered an interesting thought about the proposed (1907) but never built Vineyard Subway that would've run from the LAP/PE Hill St. Station to Venice and San Vicente Blvds. LAP/PE/SP for decades held properties/easements that cut a swath through what's now Koreatown. It's possible they employed that strategy because cut-and-cover construction would've made sense for much of the route then. (I'm not sure if the Vineyard Subway has been discussed on NLA before; my search attempt failed.)

OTOH, I'm afraid that contemporaneous reports of the Hollywood Subway's construction made no mention of Lizard People, though there are some who might say that various characters in the Frank Shaw administration bore a striking resemblance.
Thanks Henry ....now on to the Lizard People.

Tracking down the lizard people of Los Angeles is still a big undertaking. Do they live in caves around Los Angeles? The simple answer is yes they do. When I retire later this year I plan to continue the hunt for the lizard people who have lived in these caves for over 5,000 years. Some believe they arrived in the LA area aboard a crashed UFO. I'm sorta sure of that but not 100%. Any ideas?

I am in the process of obtaining a grant from LA City Council. They'll go for it we're sure. One reporter has already called our group 'whackos"...how rude. I'll let you dear nourishers know how the quest goes. Oh, the article below is from 1934.
I remember we've discussed the lizardians before on NLA.

LA Times/https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sumeranu/reptiles17_04.jpg

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:35 AM

Views from Belmont Hotel and Vicinity

The Belmont Hotel was located where Belmont High School is now, on the SE corner of Beverly Blvd. and Loma Drive
(north of Beverly, Loma turns into Belmont Avenue). The building opened in September 1884 as Ellis Villa College,
reopened as the Belmont Hotel in July 1886, and it burned down on December 16, 1887.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

HossC did a great job merging two 1886 views from the Belmont Hotel into one panoramic photo.
That's Belmont Avenue running north from the cable cars, next to the grocery store:

This is the full left-hand photo from the panorama. If you look at the extreme left edge of the photo, starting in the
lower left corner and working your way up, the first thing you see is sort of a small dark blob (a bush?) with two little
white dots underneath it. There are two lighter blobs/bushes to its right. Directly above the dark blob/bush and just
below the road is the rear half of a horse:

1989-0628 @ CA State Library

Now check out the right edge of this 1886 photo . . . there are the same three blobs/bushes and above them the
whole horse. The house above the horse, across the road, also matches, as do the mountains in the background.
So now we have an even wider 1886 panoramic view from the Belmont Hotel:

1989-0699 @ CA State Library (The Seaver Center has the same photo, gpf.4871)

At this point I'll ask you to please go back up one photo, to the one with the rear end of the horse at the left edge, and
look at the dark house in the foreground, closest to the camera. Don't worry, I'll wait here until you scroll back down . . . .

In the c. 1890 photo below, you'll see that same house in the lower left corner, to the left of the light pole. I can't read
what's on the pennant on the three-story building, but it sits on the NE corner of what is now Beverly and Belmont:

1989-0456 @ CA State Library ("View in Los Angeles, Cal." by William Henry Fletcher)

That three-story building is not on the 1888 Sanborn, but here it is in 1894, with that distinctive "slice" taken out
of the top two stories. At far left is that dark house (1621 W. 1st Street, as it was then known), and at far right is
the little store that we see in the above photo with its porch sticking out into the street:

ProQuest via LAPL

There are at least two more views from the Belmont Hotel. One of them, here, doesn't seem to connect
to the left edge of the photo two images above. There is another photo that connects to the left side of
e_r's linked photo, but I can't find it at the moment.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Dec 26, 2018 at 3:54 AM. Reason: update links

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
looks like someone doesn't know how to parallel park.
My uncle's mother, during the same time period, the 1920's, went somewhere in the car, came home and asked her sons to put it in the garage (one of those narrow 1920's garages) They told her to put it in herself since she had taken it out. She was out there for more than an hour, and finally came in and said that it was put away. They went out and it was in the garage sideways. She must have inched it in to get it that way. The family has been telling that story ever since.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Thanks Henry ....now on to the Lizard People.

Tracking down the lizard people of Los Angeles is still a big undertaking. Do they live in caves around Los Angeles? The simple answer is yes they do. When I retire later this year I plan to continue the hunt for the lizard people who have lived in these caves for over 5,000 years. Some believe they arrived in the LA area aboard a crashed UFO. I'm sorta sure of that but not 100%. Any ideas?

I am in the process of obtaining a grant from LA City Council. They'll go for it we're sure. One reporter has already called our group 'whackos"...how rude. I'll let you dear nourishers know how the quest goes. Oh, the article below is from 1934.
I remember we've discussed the lizardians before on NLA.

LA Times/https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sumeranu/reptiles17_04.jpg
There is a "Dr Who" episode about lizard people living underground in a vast city. Do you suppose the writers got their idea from LA?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:50 PM

Proof Lizzard People Exist

Many L.P's have worked in the movies, Land Of The Lost, Star Wars etc.. Always watching casting calls at the studios daily.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Thanks. Never read any of the books although my mother surely did. They really should have worked the improbable name into the TV scripts from time to time to defuse the adolescent tension. Say, didn't you used to play some hockey?
Different Jim Craig...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
There is a "Dr Who" episode about lizard people living underground in a vast city. Do you suppose the writers got their idea from LA?
I would say yes. I just hope and pray that the Lazardians would come out of their caves and reveal themselves.

Have they been in movies? Yes, they have...ever since the 1920s at least. Also, its now being revealed that a few of the movie producers are at least part Lazardian....or they are acting like the lizard creatures.

My team is raring to go deep underground in a few months to locate their dens and places of lodgement.

Thanks Hollywood G. for your interest in this saga. We need all the help that we can get.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

Now check out the right edge of this 1886 photo . . . there are the same three blobs/bushes and above them the
whole horse. The house above the horse, across the road, also matches, as do the mountains in the background.
So now we have an even wider 1886 panoramic view from the Belmont Hotel:

CA State Library (The Seaver Center has the same photo, gpf.4871)
I thought that I should complete the triptych.

LAPL/CA State Library

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:22 PM

Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Photograph taken at the head of 5th Street on Fremont looking east, showing possibilities of extending 5th Street thru to Olive Street, Los Angeles, 1922

USC Digital Library
That reminded me of the 1921 Baist notation of a proposed 5th St. tunnel under the State Normal School. I don't recall seeing any kind of write up on the idea though:

1921 baist, plate 8

Last edited by tovangar2; Oct 12, 2017 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:47 PM

Thanks for the triptych, Hoss!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thx!

That reminded me of the 1921 Baist notation of a proposed 5th St. tunnel under the State Normal School. I don't recall seeing any kind of write up on the idea though:

1921 baist, plate 8

From the Map I cannot tell the point from which this photo is taken. Where is the camera placed??

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
My uncle's mother, during the same time period, the 1920's, went somewhere in the car, came home and asked her sons to put it in the garage (one of those narrow 1920's garages) They told her to put it in herself since she had taken it out. She was out there for more than an hour, and finally came in and said that it was put away. They went out and it was in the garage sideways. She must have inched it in to get it that way. The family has been telling that story ever since.

https://m.popkey.co/c8547d/Y95lG.gif

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

1921 baist, plate 8

There was quite a bit of coverage in the Times--this from Apr 2, 1920:

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

From the Map I cannot tell the point from which this photo is taken. Where is the camera placed??
As my original caption (taken from USC) says, "Photograph taken at the head of 5th Street on Fremont looking east". I've marked the photographer's location on the slightly wider map below.

www.historicmapworks.com

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
As my original caption (taken from USC) says, "Photograph taken at the head of 5th Street on Fremont looking east". I've marked the photographer's location on the slightly wider map below.

www.historicmapworks.com
Thanks Hoss so much, the wider map helps a lot. Now I can see why I got all mixed up.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:43 AM

Thx again Hoss.

It was unthinking of me not to include the POV CBD, but here's an approximate "now" shot:

gvs

The lay of the land is still (mostly) there, except much of Normal hill is missing.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:22 AM

re: I now have three different locations for the Atlas Hotel.

lapl

(as seen down the street in Hoss' photograph
lapl

and the 124 1/2 N. Spring Street address in the article below.
Quote:

Los Angeles Herald, December 1904

Read the entire article Here.
california digital newspaper archive
But this post is more about Mrs. Roberts, the woman the W.C.T.U. ran out of town on a rail. (article above)

Remember, at the time, Mrs. Roberts was in Los Angeles trying to lure girls to Randsburg Calif to work at her 'dance' hall.

"Mrs. Roberts operated her establishment under the name of “My Place Dance Hall,” sometimes known as “The Oasis,”
and right next door was her saloon. I’m sure it is fairly easy for you to figure out that Marguerite was a madam
who ran this as a “bawdy house,” which caused much consternation among the more “decent” town folk."
from CindyN11

Marguerite's dance hall still stands.

gsv

"The Randsburg Inn, formerly the Commercial Hotel, and at one time the My Place Dance Hall."

during my search I came upon Mrs. Roberts' tombstone in the Rand District Cemetery. (I wasn't expecting this)

explore forums

Surprisingly, she died less than three years after her procuring trip to L.A.

But was 'Marguerite' really French?

"The majority of “soiled doves” lied, fabricated and twisted the truth about who they were and where they came from.
They rarely used their real names and often were just known by nicknames. During this era the crème de la crème
of the dance halls, bawdy & parlour houses and brothels were French women, most likely due to the popularity of erotic French Postcards.
French “sporting women” commanded a higher price for their services, so, as a consequence, many a home-grown American floozy
moved to new pastures, recreated themselves and became a ‘French’ courtesan."

CindyN11

Cindy at explore forums believes 'Marguerite' Roberts was actually Emily Brickett of San Bernardino....not from France as stated in her obituary.
(in 1892 she became Emily Jarrick after marrying August H. Jarrick in San Bernardino)

But in my opinion, Cindy's theory has a slight problem. Emily Jarrick was committed to an asylum by her husband in 1900.
Yet the newspaper article I found (while looking for the Atlas Hotel) has 'Marguerite' Roberts in Los Angeles in 1904.
So I'm not entirely convinced Marguerite Roberts and Emily Jarrick are the same person.
(of course she could have been released from the asylum by 1904, but still )

If interested, you can read all of Cindy's research here: Explore Forum

(as far I can tell, she is unaware of Mrs. Roberts' trip to L.A. in 1904)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 13, 2017 at 5:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos