HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Wut?
Yeah we've had about a dozen days of decent weather in the past two weeks...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah we've had about a dozen days of decent weather in the past two weeks...
If that's the point you're stuck on then I'll change it to that we get 3 months (sometimes 4) of summer and for one month one of the nice neighborhood parks is out of commission for a month so a bunch of uppity people can have a one night party.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 5:35 PM

[deleted]

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:43 PM

The roof complaints may be a stretch, but there's some merit. File this under, strive for better design. We could argue about blank street walls, beige facades, parking entrances but is it inappropriate to request the roof be a 5th facade? This was encouraged in my academic and professional experience, so I wouldn't consider this insulting if the neighbors ask for screening and reorganization of mechanical equipment.

Higher quality design* is about the only thing I'd support when it comes to NIMBYism. I don't agree with other arguments because density and height has a place in one of the largest cities in America and should be as of right or have easier mechanisms and processes for approval.

* Style is not the same as quality design

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Wut?
Scratching head with you

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 9:57 PM

[QUOTE=chicubs111;7833715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Could we be in for a facade transformation???

06/11/17

Wouldn't be great if they replaced the panels with stainless steel look and kept black windows...would be nice if they thought outside the box of just greys and whites..or blue glass..

I wouldn't mind if if they chose a color like the Godfrey.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:10 PM

First building for the Lathrop Homes redevelopment was issued a permit yesterday for new construction. 2737 N Hoyne (https://www.google.com/maps/place/27...!4d-87.6788263) just south of Diversey. 6 stories with 59 units.

Last edited by marothisu; Jun 15, 2017 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:11 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
First building for the Lathrop Homes redevelopment was issued a permit yesterday for new construction. 2737 N Hoyne (https://www.google.com/maps/place/27...!4d-87.6788263) just south of Diversey. 6 stories with 59 units.
For anyone who's following the travails of the Lathrop project, it's good to see them finally get a permit for something. Related developed a pretty good plan, and then the National Park Service torpedoed some of the best urban design moves for preservation reasons.

This building was originally supposed to replace the old building right at the SW corner of Diversey and Damen and form a new gateway to the site. Now that old building will be saved, and the new building has been shifted to the south, replacing some two-story townhouse units. They also had to delete one of the new planned streets in the master plan so they could squeeze this one in without a net loss of units. Also, the design... apparently no contemporary architecture is allowed here!

Curbed

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:43 AM

^ It's not bad looking or anything, just blends way too much with the existing buildings. I'd rather have something totally different

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 9:05 AM

Breaking news. TripAdvisor's most-booked sightseeing tour in the country over the past year was, drum roll, Shoreline Sightseeing's river cruise. This in competition with wine country tours, NYC bus and heli tours, the Grand Canyon, and the like. Not entirely apples to apples, but then it presumably doesn't even include the other boat operators (or winter either?), so congratulations are in order.

TripAdvisor Reveals America's 10 Most Popular Tours: "Chicago Architecture River Cruise" is Most Booked U.S. Tour

The riverwalk is going to be a further catalyst here, no doubt. Here's to hoping the South Branch gets some love over the next decade.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 1:33 PM
The City

Don't report this. It makes Chicago look like it's a great place to go. The media doesn't want us to think that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:53 PM
Urbane observer

I wonder if TripAdvisor is combining interest in, or reviews of, all four operators of river architecture tours to get their number—which they're then attributing to the one operator they have a business arrangement with.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Don't report this. It makes Chicago look like it's a great place to go. The media doesn't want us to think that.
Indeed

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I wonder if TripAdvisor is combining interest in, or reviews of, all four operators of river architecture tours to get their number—which they're then attributing to the one operator they have a business arrangement with.

Good question.....

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:40 PM
Windy City Dan

Yeah but then last night someone got shot on Mich Ave right in front of the Art Institute. As much as I love to hear about the architecture tours being the number one tour in the US, and I agree they are great, until we get a handle on the violence these lists will do little to sway the opinion of people who haven't been here and don't understand the nuances of our city. I say we legalize cannabis and take all the taxes of its sale and invest every penny of it into underserved neighborhoods. Not downtown parks, not more police, not a new L station in the loop. To me this would be a triple edged benefit, 1. takes revenue out of the hands of drug dealers who fuel violence. 2. Capital investments in underserved neighborhoods like neighborhood business incubators/micro loans can create jobs ("I never did a crime I didn't have to do") 3. Boost tourism. Our political leadership in this state seems so old school, they are so behind the game on this one, and we can't even pass a *F-ing* budget. Sorry to rant.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:46 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I'm not detecting some sort of negative image bias in coverage....to the extent national and international media are covering significant societal problems in Chicago, it would appear entirely justified and deserved....coverage should be fair - not this false concept of 'balanced'.......

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 4:43 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Good question.....
When you click the link, it specifically links 'Shoreline Sightseeing'

Edit: Interestingly, the River Cruise is also one of the most affordable deals on that list, which I'm sure adds to the appeal and location on the list, other cities/cost multipliers therein notwithstanding.

Last edited by sentinel; Jun 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 12:15 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
^ It's not bad looking or anything, just blends way too much with the existing buildings. I'd rather have something totally different
Yeah, good preservationists will often urge new additions to be clearly legible as "new" so that the historic portions can be clearly identified. That doesn't mean the new stuff has to be modernist, but that's usually a good idea.

Here, though, Related is really muddying the waters. At the very least, they could have used a different brick color. A mix of charcoal and white brick for the new buildings (as in bKL's original Lathrop concept) would looked traditional, but still made clear which buildings were historic and which were not.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 1:58 PM

840 N Clark (aprox) Mormon Temple and Row Houses

June 13
Really like the black and silver finish on this one - very dramatic for a church

or they might go with this as the finished product.

Clark and Chesnut (SW)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:09 PM

The national media isn't going to focus on a boat tour when violence is spiraling out of control and people are getting shot all over the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development