HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 8:03 AM

1933 Mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Great news, and I wish you all the best.

Please, for all that is Holy, do not make the mistake that "Gangster Squad" did and show people firing automatics with a two-handed grip. My father was a peace officer during the 1930s and he and most of his colleagues hated automatics. His saying was that more people got shot by accident with automatics than got shot on purpose with revolvers.

He also taught me to shoot with his service revolver. One handed, arm outstretched. Sight picture, sight alignment, squeeze.

And also, please have somebody teach your actors how to wear a hat :-) (Another howler in "Gangster Squad")

(Example below, from 1933)

I know better. Doesn't mean they'll listen to me. Actors think they know what works for them. I provide all sorts of photo reference and pray for the best. So do the costume people, the director....The producers of "Gangster Squad" are all friends of mine. VERY bright guys who take reference material as gospel. Still, you end up with an actor ignoring advice and.....

Quite frankly, getting a period film made these days is a Sisyphean effort and I commend them for pulling it off.

I personally love LA Confidential. I love every frame. I love the sprocket holes in that film. It really captures the period, even if a 1990s car drives right through the background of one shot.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:09 PM

With all due respect, there is only one benchmark: Chinatown. Not even a hint of the cartoonish or hipness in it. And the only period flaw I can think of is the glimpse of a modern building in the 500 block of S Grand St. We've seen a post on this here but I can't locate it--here's a s/s though--

LA Curbed

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:22 PM

Of course, the further you get from the time period you're portraying...

When Chinatown was made, 1937 was "37 years ago".
37 years ago now would be 1980!

I admire Chinatown more than I have a great affection for it, though. I do really like L.A. Confidential, which I've seen a dozen times; very recently, too. It played last Saturday night downtown at the Orpheum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post
I personally love LA Confidential. I love every frame. I love the sprocket holes in that film. It really captures the period, even if a 1990s car drives right through the background of one shot.
I don't usually like to know about film mistakes if I'm not aware of them, because it seems that once you do, you always look for it again the next time you see it, but I have to ask where that scene is in L.A. Confidential?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This photo is very similar to two that were posted yesterday, but it shows more of the garage next door. (part of the sign shop?)

ebay

Martin, note that Charlie is still holding the '69'. (maybe he's an apprentice and that's his first sign) or maybe he's looking for a date

In that first photo you posted, there's obviously something written above the "69", but I've been unable to make any of it out. Anyone else have a guess?

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PHOT...3D391804773973

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 7:00 PM

I've struck lucky today with another Stiles Oliver Clements design from Julius Shulman. It's "Job 2286: Stiles Oliver Clements, Budget Finance Company Building, 1956". I've omitted a lower angle view from the same direction.

A closer view of the entrance, which also shows how the palm trees were anchored to the building.

Finally, a look along the front.

All from Getty Research Institute

The Budget Finance Company Building was at 6432 Wilshire Boulevard. Unfortunately, just like Zandt's earlier in the week, this Stiles Oliver Clements building has also gone. I couldn't find a demo permit or a reason for its demolition - can you help, GW?

I'm also curious about the building's one-time neighbor across the street at 6435 Wilshire. The building permit was issued in 1950, with the owner's name listed as A D Callahan, and the architect's name as Leo Callahan. The Callahan Construction Co appears at 6435 Wilshire in the 1956 CD, alongside General Motors Corp Pontiac Motor Division and various smaller businesses. It's now the ORT College.

GSV

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Also we have a good portion of the old pioneer's cemetery in the tree filled area ....Wouldn't it be great if this was a Tif file image that could be enlarged much more----

CHS.J3927 at Denver Public Library (detail) Previously posted by Flyingwedge

Yes, that would be great if we could read the tombstone inscriptions! Have we seen this before and does a larger/clearer version of it exist?
CITY CEMETERY OF LOS ANGELES, FRANK LECOUVREUR, FEBRUARY 23, 1863:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I don't usually like to know about film mistakes if I'm not aware of them, because it seems that once you do, you always look for it again the next time you see it, but I have to ask where that scene is in L.A. Confidential?
You can check the "goofs" for LA Confidental on IMDB. I put one or two in there.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Getty Research Institute

The Budget Finance Company Building was at 6432 Wilshire Boulevard. Unfortunately, just like Zandt's earlier in the week, this Stiles Oliver Clements building has also gone. I couldn't find a demo permit or a reason for its demolition - can you help, GW?

Found this under 6434, but didn't see a "new" BP listed for anything at this address after its date...and something from the LAT, Sept 4, 1955

...and a couple of other items from the LAT Nov 9, 1956 & Oct 29, 1972:

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 10, 2017 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:20 AM

I didn't realize the parking lot beneath the Arcade Building (1924) wasn't added until 1953.

L.A. Times

Eric Richarson at blogdowntown says...

"The Arcade's basement originally housed the Leighton Cafeteria. In 1940 the space saw a very different use, with the opening of a large bowling alley.
A 1953 L.A. Times article about the garage project listed the basement's contents as the bowling alley, a billiards parlor, a restaurant and a bar."

I've circled the angled garage ramp in the aerial below.

google_earth

Here's a view of the garage entrance from Spring Street.

Eric Richardson at blogdowntown

I tried to dig up some information on the Leighton Cafeteria and the Bowling Alley/Pool Hall that used to be in basement but I didn't have any luck.

Help

__

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:39 AM

A rare invitation to the Palomar Ballroom.

ebay

Opening for Nick Stuart and his Orchestra.

Nick Stuart in 1928. (born Niculae Pratza)

Nick Stuart

And here he is in Los Angeles in 1933. (the lady is singer Ella Logan)

George Mann Archives

Frustratingly, there's no year on the invitation.

__

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 9:11 AM

Quote:

Frustratingly, there's no year on the invitation.
It says "Thursday evening, November fifteenth...", so we can narrow it down to 1923, 1928, 1934, 1945, 1951 or 1956 (Wikipedia says "Stuart dissolved his band in 1961"). The Palomar Ballroom was built in 1925, and burned down in 1939, so that only leaves us with 1928 and 1934. The Palomar was originally the El Patio Ballroom, so my guess would be 1934.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 4:59 PM

Very impressive Hoss!

LAT 21 Nov 1934, pg 32

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 8:10 PM

Thanks for yesterday's follow-up, GW. How sad that the Budget Finance Company building only lasted 14 years.

-----------------

I'm going to make this a two-part Julius Shulman post due to the number of images. The first part is "Job 4901: Carl Maston, Abichandani House, 1972".

The other color shot looks out at the street over the front door.

A better look at the front.

Mr Shulman must've had his back against the front door for this one.

By the trees outside, I'm guessing that this is a back corner. The column on the left appears to be unfinished concrete, but there's a definite spiral pattern visible. You can also see them in the image above.

All from Getty Research Institute

The house is still at 7129 La Presa Drive. Sorry about the bins - this was the best of my three choices.

GSV

The pictures in part two are from the USCDL, but they appear to be an enlarged collection from the same Julius Shulman set (minus the color images). I hope to post them tomorrow.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Welch's restaurant in Long Beach. Unfortunately its no longer there.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 13, 2017 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 11:28 PM

'mystery' location.

I saw this snapshot last night on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920S-30S-PE...sAAOSwdsFXTM5C

"Peerless Laundry, Los Angeles California"
_

Excellent deduction on the Palomar/Nick Stuart date Hoss!

and thanks for newspaper clipping t2. I appreciate it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 12:47 AM

I don't believe we have seen this interesting building on nla.

The Methodist Auditorium in Huntington Beach, 1905.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1aed340609.jpg

It's almost barn-like in appearance. (except for the arched truss roof)

& I'm still trying to figure out the utility of the square-cube rooms attached to the front.
My guess is that they contain stairs up to the second level of seats(?)

People milling about the auditorium in this 1908 photograph. (another site dates this as 1910)

Photo courtesy Orange County Archives

note the 'Tent City' banner in the distance on the right.

I haven't been able to find the exact location of the auditorium. (yet)
__

update: Pre-auditorium(?)

The Methodist tent city at Huntington Beach (then Pacific City), circa 1900. The annual gathering was attended by hundreds bringing visitors to the shore.
Huntington Beach and the Gospel Swamp area nearby attracted many tent revival groups.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b056b41bfa.jpg

What pray-tel was the Gospel Swamp?

__

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:12 AM

Quote:
I don't believe we have seen this interesting building on nla.

The Methodist Auditorium in Huntington Beach, 1905.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1aed340609.jpg

It's almost barn-like in appearance. (except for the arched truss roof)

& I'm still trying to figure out the utility of the square-cube rooms attached to the front.
My guess is that they contain stairs up to the second level of seats(?)

People milling about the auditorium in this 1908 photograph. (another site dates this as 1910)

Photo courtesy Orange County Archives

note the 'Tent City' banner in the distance on the right.

I haven't been able to find the exact location of the auditorium. (yet)
__

update: Pre-auditorium(?)

The Methodist tent city at Huntington Beach (then Pacific City), circa 1900. The annual gathering was attended by hundreds bringing visitors to the shore.
Huntington Beach and the Gospel Swamp area nearby attracted many tent revival groups.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b056b41bfa.jpg

What pray-tel was the Gospel Swamp?

__
This article from the Orange County Register will explain what it was. Where it was is now Fountain Valley.

http://www.ocregister.com/2013/04/25...untain-valley/

When e-r, et al covered PE's La Bolsa line back in this thread http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7804061"]http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=7804061[/URL] this area is approximately at the Talbert stop and southward. Hope this helps.

Last edited by HenryHuntington; Jun 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM. Reason: Added reference to earlier thread.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks for yesterday's follow-up, GW. I had a feeling that you'd know more about the Wilshire Boulevard locations.

------------------

Here's part 2 of Julius Shulman's "Job 4714: Krisel/Shapiro Associates, miscellaneous buildings, 1971". The first building has signs for Blue Shield and 3M Business Products Center.

The second has a large RCA sign on the roof, and a Remington Rand sign nearer to street level.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The first building is now Royal Plaza at 3407 W 6th Street. Its neighbor to the left can be added to our growing list of light-colored buildings which have recently received a much darker paint job - in this case, dark gray rather than black.

GSV

The second building can be found at 1730 W Olympic Boulevard.

GSV
Hmmm, that first building looks very familiar. Oh, now I remember, that's where my wife and I had our wedding. There's a large room, don't remember which floor(hell, don't remember much from that day) that they rent out for weddings and receptions(mainly for Koreans, my wife is Korean).

P.S. I've finally caught up to you all.

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Jun 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:28 AM

Quote:
I know there are numerous NLRers that grew up in the surrounding areas. Is this how you viewed Los Angeles at the time?

__
Oh gawd, yes. The first news item that I remember was the Watts riots and a few years later was the Manson killings. Outside of traveling to the western SF Valley we probably went to the rest of LA maybe 15 to 20 times. I do remember the gasometers and did ride Angels Flight just before it closed down.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
'mystery' location.

I saw this snapshot last night on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920S-30S-PE...sAAOSwdsFXTM5C

"Peerless Laundry, Los Angeles California"
_

Excellent deduction on the Palomar/Nick Stuart date Hoss!

and thanks for newspaper clipping t2. I appreciate it.

Seems like a lot of changes, but could this building have been extended eastward, cut northward, and cut down in height over the years? This is what is now at the SEC of 58th & Main—5800 S Main being an address associated with Peerless in some news items:

A later address associated with Peerless is 5862 S. Main. A BP from Jan 20, 1932, for this address describes a 132' water tower being built there—across Slauson from 5800, at the SEC of Main. This seems to have been demo'ed in 1968-9.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Seems like a lot of changes, but could this building have been extended eastward, cut northward, and cut down in height over the years? This is what is now at the SEC of 58th & Main—5800 S Main being an address associated with Peerless in some news items:

A later address associated with Peerless is 5862 S. Main. A BP from Jan 20, 1932, for this address describes a 132' water tower being built there—across Slauson from 5800, at the SEC of Main. This seems to have been demo'ed in 1968-9.
I found the same building and addresses as you, GW. Then I checked out the picture libraries, and found this photo of Slauson and Main. It's dated 1935. I think we're looking at the same building as the one in e_r's photo, but from the opposite direction.

USC Digital Library

Here's a close-up of the corner which shows the Peerless signage.

Detail of picture above.

Although no direction is given, the sign shop on the right appears to be numbered 110, so I think the picture above is looking east on Slauson. There are still railroad tracks along the north side. That would mean that the Peerless building was just south of Slauson. If I'm right, then it's the building I've arrowed in the 1963 aerial view below. The 1980 view on the right shows its replacement.

Historic Aerials

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos