HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 7:34 PM

Apartments

[QUOTE=Flyingwedge;7824325]Does anyone recognize this building, pictured in the September 1919 Architect and Engineer of California?

My parents lived in an old apartment building at 440 South Bonnie Brae back in the early 50's...wondering if anyone has a history of the building and if it is still standing...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Marlem's Chicken Out .. Never heard of it.

Speaking of not hearing about that restaurant, does anyone know about this?

I was reading a blog post concerning the upcoming complete series release of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and one poster, if their memory is correct, talked about visiting Southern California in 1969 or 1970 and visiting a "Laugh-In" restaurant. Has anyone heard of such thing before? This was news (of the past) to me!

I found a website that has scant information except that it was formed under the name "Laugh-In Restaurant Corporation of California" on Thursday, August 7, 1969.

https://bestbusinessca.com/company/C...alifornia.html

I also found a handful of mentions on lists of defunct restaurant chains.

A pinterest site had this on it--looks to be from a marketing catalog or magazine perhaps?

Pinterest

A Bippy Burger...Yum?

On eBay there was also a Laugh-In Restaurant napkin and French Fry bag, not to be confused with ones sold in stores as novelties.

Does anyone remember a Laugh-In restaurant in Southern California and where it might have been. I've been unable to come up with any addresses or photos of one...anywhere, not just SoCal.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 8:11 PM

I've never heard of a Laugh-In restaurant Martin, but I noticed Lums is mentioned.

http://www.kevmania.com/remembering-lums/

Lums was one one of my favorite places to eat when I was a kid. Roast Beef sandwiches and the best seasoned fries.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 8:21 PM
BANNED

I believe one of the clues in finding the Shulman House is it's geographic orientation. I have overlaid a compass to give some idea of how the front of the house is facing the street. This is based on the shadows of the trees.....which I assume is around mid-day.

Thanks Hoss, ER, PM, Earl B for your input.

The Shulman house appears to be facing in a northerly direction.....so it could be on the south side of a street....or a cul de sac.

all...previously posted

This house appears to be facing south, therefore its on the north side of a street.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Speaking of not hearing about that restaurant, does anyone know about this?

I was reading a blog post concerning the upcoming complete series release of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and one poster, if their memory is correct, talked about visiting Southern California in 1969 or 1970 and visiting a "Laugh-In" restaurant. Has anyone heard of such thing before? This was news (of the past) to me!

I found a website that has scant information except that it was formed under the name "Laugh-In Restaurant Corporation of California" on Thursday, August 7, 1969.

https://bestbusinessca.com/company/C...alifornia.html

I also found a handful of mentions on lists of defunct restaurant chains.

A pinterest site had this on it--looks to be from a marketing catalog or magazine perhaps?

Pinterest

A Bippy Burger...Yum?

On eBay there was also a Laugh-In Restaurant napkin and French Fry bag, not to be confused with ones sold in stores as novelties.

Does anyone remember a Laugh-In restaurant in Southern California and where it might have been. I've been unable to come up with any addresses or photos of one...anywhere, not just SoCal.
Just searched the L.A. Times for Laugh-In Restaurant, with no pertinent result. Most interesting--but unrelated--thing I found was an ad of November 29, 1970, for an event to be held New Year's Eve at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, and called Jewish Laugh-In, a.k.a. "The Farfel Follies," "Direct from New York." The ad avers that "You'll plotz with laughter." Later ads reword it to "'English-Yiddish' Laugh-In," but still insist that you'll plotz with laughter. I couldn't find a review, so we'll alas never know whether, when push came to shove, anyone indeed did plotz with laughter.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
501, 519, and 530 W. Gage are also contenders.
I think it's almost certainly 519, going by the neighbor's roof line, if nothing else:

gsv

LOL, too many choices. Now I'm convinced it's 501 Maxzim. Yeah, that's it:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 4, 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I think it's almost certainly 519, going by the neighbor's roof line, if nothing else:

gsv

LOL, too many choices. Now I'm convinced it's 501 Maxzim. Yeah, that's it:

gsv
It could be either house....especially since all of the shadows, vents and roof-lines on both houses, plus the neighbor's house are going in the wrong direction. lol. Perfect T2. Pity Mr. Shulman did not leave us the exact address of his darling 1955 house.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 11:53 PM

While I was snooping around Midland Meadows this place on W. Roberta Ave. caught my eye.

gsv

What first crossed my mind is that the owner might work for a salvage company (and he got a good deal)

gsv

Here'a a closer look at the twin orb-topped columns (behind them on the right is a wooden pergola supported by equally ornate Corinthian columns.

detail

Or is all this faux? -ordered from Home Depot

Either way it stands out like a sore thumb in this mid-century neighborhood .

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 5, 2017 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 12:03 AM

I was shaking my head in amazement at that one too. IMO, it's all fake.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 12:10 AM

I think the neighboring roofs line up better in the Maxzim St set-up CBD, but who knows? Is there a word for when people pave their yards and then load them up with potted plants? It's done often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

gsv

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 12:49 AM

Clarification please:

Sunset Lime Co.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/2396/rec/1

USC says "Old Southern Pacific Railroad Station on Alameda Street near Commercial Street, Los Angeles"

So was the Sunset Lime building considered the actual depot... or was it just near the depot?

Here's a comparison of the Commercial Street Depot and the Sunset Lime Co. building

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/l...of-los-angeles

They look like two different buildings to me.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 5, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 1:11 AM

Here's another sideshow at Ocean Park Pier, Santa Monica [c.1936]

DOPE

"See how the other half lives. Hop Joints in full operation!"

Califboy101 / flickr

note the little girl looking at the placards.

for closer inspection:

(I thought one of you might be able to read some of the placards)

detail

So what do you suppose was inside-

people lying around pretending to do drugs?

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 5, 2017 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
I know a lot of my contributions have fallen flat, but this one I'm sure of. The photo above is from 1947-1949. The Freedom Train pictured above was an early diesel, built in 1947 in my hometown of Schenectady, NY, at the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) Works, only a couple of miles from the large GE plant (and a couple of miles from my childhood neighborhood). The locomotive was used as the "Spirit of 1776" only from September 17, 1947 to January 22, 1949, and is the only train to have visited all 48 contiguous states. ALCO designer Chester Mack's original design for the locomotive called for a large stylized gold eagle on either side of the engine (as shown above). The emblems were fabricated, but his supervisor nixed the idea, saying the eagles reminded him of those he had seen on German officers' uniforms in WWII. Though the train started its tour without the eagles, Mack soon managed to get them reapplied by pleading his case up ALCO's chain of command.

The Spirit of 1776 shortly after its construction, without the eagles.
freedomtrain.org

I remember during the summer of 1976 there was a train that traveled the country with a large bicentennial display inside. I saw it in Albany NY. It was called the "American Freedom Train" (not to be confused with the "Freedom Train" shown above).
Picture was taken on Exposition Blvd. in front of the Park View Apts.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's another sideshow at Ocean Park Pier, Santa Monica [c.1936]

DOPE

"See how the other half lives. Hop Joints in full operation!"

Califboy101 / flickr

note the little girl looking at the placards.

for closer inspection:

(I thought one of you might be able to read some of the placards)

detail

So what do you suppose was inside-

people lying around pretending to do drugs?

_
Those were wax statues of people in an Opium Den.....there were 29 scenes of the ''underworld". Scenes of gambling, drinking, torture, electrocution, slave auction and all sorts of naughty things.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Clarification please:

Sunset Lime Co.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/2396/rec/1

"Old Southern Pacific Railroad Station on Alameda Street near Commercial Street, Los Angeles"

So was the Sunset Lime building considered the actual depot... or was it just near the depot?
__
The USC caption is incorrect, e_r. The Sunset Lime Co. building in your photo is at 440 S. San Pedro Street.
Sunset Lime first appears there in the 1906 city directory, which also shows Montgomery and Mullin Lumber
on E. 5th St:

487980 at HDL

Below at left we see the same building's south and east sides (the building has a small LA LUMBER CO sign on top)
in this photo looking west on 5th Street (in the foreground) from near Towne in 1890. Please note the dark doorway
on the right side of the building's south wall:

P-010-1291-58 at Seaver Center

This undated photo shows ex-LA Police Chief John Skinner, apparently outside that same doorway, at the
"old San Pedro [sic] + Independence Depot at 5th and San Pedro":

P-034-077 at Seaver Center

The old Los Angeles and Independence RR depot burned in a fire on October 30, 1888," but the LA Times article
the next day notes that " . . . the south end of the building, which was cut off by a partition, and filled with lime,
cement and other articles, was saved . . . ."

Here's the 1888 Sanborn, drawn before the fire. The ex-depot that burned, then occupied by the California Door Co.,
is above the "306"; the south end of the building is used for lime, cement, and plaster storage. There is also a lime
warehouse below the "306," but that's a different building. Just below it, 5th Street crosses San Pedro Street:

ProQuest via LAPL

On the 1906 Sanborn below, 440 S. San Pedro Street, then home to Sunset Lime, is marked with a red line. So, perhaps
the north end of that building is the south end of the old LAIRR depot. After the 1888 fire, the rump end of the depot may
have been expanded south and remodeled into the building Sunset Lime would occupy:

ProQuest via LAPL

Sunset Lime is last at 440 S. San Pedro in the 1913 city directory, and the building is missing from the
1914 Baist Map, so that makes sense.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Oct 8, 2018 at 2:34 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 10:44 AM

Thank you Flyingwedge! I knew I'd seen that combination of roof pitch and door shape before...I just couldn't place it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
I think this is the first aircraft training building I've featured in the Julius Shulman posts. It's "Job 5157: Garland and Hilles, Flight Safety Inc. (Long Beach, Calif.), 1974".

The other shot shows the training simulator.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The front has gained a railing, and more buildings have been added at the rear, but the main structure has hardly changed. I did spot one small difference - the address has changed from 4332 to 4330 Donald Douglas Drive.

GSV
I'm guessing the address change had something to do with the street being altered (in the first photo it looks like it's on some sort of cul-de-sac, but in the last one it's been straightened).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
I've got some mid-century residential pictures from Julius Shulman today. It's "Job 2039: Palmer and Krisel, Midland Meadows (Fullerton, Calif.), 1955".

I'm trying to work out if that's a barbecue or an incinerator on the back of the chimney seen through the window.

I'm not exactly sure where the boudaries of Midland Meadows are, but all the houses I found claiming to be from there are in the blocks just west of Fullerton Metrocenter. It's not clear if the all the Shulman pictures are from a single house, but if anyone feels like gassing up the Googlemobile to take a look ...
I think at least the first 2 are from different houses. Looking at a few examples around that neighborhood, it appears the houses were either oriented with the entrance facing the street (like that first photo) or with the end of the house facing the street (like the second). 501 W Maxzim is on a corner so it has both orientations, but the view out of one of the ends would be very different from the second photo. (It could still be the house in the first photo, though.) The house next door (507) has the right orientation for the second photo, but doesn't have the lower windows (which makes that end match up more closely with that third photo), and the house across the street with the chimney bbq doesn't appear to be the same.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DViator View Post

I'm guessing the address change had something to do with the street being altered (in the first photo it looks like it's on some sort of cul-de-sac, but in the last one it's been straightened).
You're right about the street being altered, DViator, although it wasn't a cul-de-sac. Here's an aerial view from 1972 and the current image for comparison.

Historic Aerials/Google Maps

It looks like the road layout only changed around 2010. There are GSV images from 2008 which show some of the original route, but they're a bit blurry.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
"Your Honor, I object." (22 sec.)
Video Link

William Talman Anti-Smoking Ad 1968

Video Link

Six weeks after filming this public service announcement, Talman died on August 30, 1968, at the age of 53.

__
I remember his anti-smoking commercial. That was quite avante garde for that period of time to be so open about one's vice. My Dad, who was a heavy smoker, would grunt and say "Who the hell does he think he is, preaching to us like that?" Dad lived to be 91, so maybe he was right.
Talman played the role of Hamilton Burger with the interesting twist of being a massive pain-in-the-ass for Perry Mason, but also fair and willing to concede when he was wrong. I would occasionally hope that he'd whip Perry in the courtroom more often--just to hear Raymond burr take that suck of breath he always seemed to do before starting a sentence.
I still watch Perry Mason reruns since I'm fascinated with that time period in TV series. Did you know that William Hopper (who played private investigator Paul Drake) was Hedda Hopper's son? Gail Patrick Jackson, who produced the series, once acted with William's Dad, Wolfe Hopper in some obscure 1930's movie. William actually tested for the title role of Perry, but the author of the books, Erle Stanley Gardner, thought Raymond Burr fit the role perfectly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos