HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This photograph gives me all kinds of 'noirish' thoughts.

It was taken in Hollywood in 1946.

Elliot Erwitt via http://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?V...O6R5A645S&PN=1
_
That is a *very* peculiar tonearm (if that is what it is) for 1946 in that picture. Here it is enlarged:

And here is what a typical electric portable player of the era would look like:

The one in the picture looks like a bit of studio equipment, *but* it appears to be on the wrong side of the turntable.

Or: what looks like the pivot on the left is actually the rest, the larger object on the right is the pivot, and the turntable has been turned around and stored temporarily on the radio/speaker cabinet.

In 1946 this would have been a 78 rpm only rig, since LPs were not introduced until 1948 and 45s in 1949. Very curious.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:39 PM

Thanks Earl. -interesting about the tone-arm thingy.

Flyingwedge, it was fun seeing the buildings that have survived along that stretch of Olive. (and the discovery of that old ghost sign)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Across Pico, up at 1220 S. Olive we have the Iris Apartments (b. 1929?):

Close-up of uclalat_1429_b3715_G2997

Iris Apartments, March 2015:

Here's pretty much the same view (as your top photo) taken in 1940.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/93528/rec/2

__

As for that other building you found at 239 W. 15th St.

for some reason PropertyShark has the build date of 1956. (you can tell it's way older than that by just looking)

https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/...eles-CA-90015/

I also tried to find out more about the building directly across street.

It was an attractive building back in it's day. -note the top windows are slightly arched (and that rooftop sign looks like it's been there for years)

233 W. 15th St.

gsv

but I haven't had any luck finding information on it. (yet)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
That is a *very* peculiar tonearm (if that is what it is) for 1946 in that picture. Here it is enlarged:

And here is what a typical electric portable player of the era would look like:

The one in the picture looks like a bit of studio equipment, *but* it appears to be on the wrong side of the turntable.

Or: what looks like the pivot on the left is actually the rest, the larger object on the right is the pivot, and the turntable has been turned around and stored temporarily on the radio/speaker cabinet.

In 1946 this would have been a 78 rpm only rig, since LPs were not introduced until 1948 and 45s in 1949. Very curious.

Cheers,

Earl

Earl....its possible that the photo is reversed.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 14, 2017 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

A little more Venice. The architectural style seemed somewhat cohesive, at least through 1939. In contrast to Market Street seems wanting for width.

1937 (2 years earlier)
https://sites.google.com/site/movies...attredirects=0

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics19/00009146.jpg

Giant Maggie-

Where is this photo taken? Looks like some of the iconic colonnade columns are in the background.....under construction?

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Giant Maggie-

Where is this photo taken? Looks like some of the iconic colonnade columns are in the background.....under construction?

Who is Maggie?

LAPL identifies "Maggie" as being on Windward Ave.

Quote:
A couple pose next to an oversized advertising dummy in the shape of a woman on Windward Ave. in Venice, bearing a sign, reading: I eat at the Angelus Annex.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:

I also tried to find out more about the building directly across street.

It was an attractive building back in it's day. -note the top windows are slightly arched (and that rooftop sign looks like it's been there for years)

233 W. 15th St.

gsv

but I haven't had any luck finding information on it. (yet)
Despite how the number looks in GSV, that's actually 236/238 W 15th Street (the July 2014 view shows the door open with the number on the inside). As far as I can tell, it was built in 1923. It looks like it was originally the Motor Parts Co, then became the Surplus Supply Co, and then the Radio Products Sales Co. That takes us up to the 1942 CD.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:30 AM

Oh snap, Hoss beat me to it.

It comes up as No. 236 on the property sites. Permit pulled in 1924 for Wm J Mahoney as lofts over shops

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Despite how the number looks in GSV, that's actually 236/238 W 15th Street (the July 2014 view shows the door open with the number on the inside). As far as I can tell, it was built in 1923. It looks like it was originally the Motor Parts Co, then became the Surplus Supply Co, and then the Radio Products Sales Co. That takes us up to the 1942 CD.
Thanks for the correction and information Hoss and t2.

Birthday party for Alyce Hansen Edwards at the Colony Club, 1952.

I'm pretty sure Alyce is the lady beaming next to the movie-star handsome guy on the left.

How do I know this?

Well, believe it or not we have seen Alyce on NLA...courtesy of HossC.

She wasn't nearly as happy.
Quote:
I had a quick look through the USC library for pictures of Joly's, but the images I've found so far are either from the wrong time period or the wrong part of Western Avenue. The picture below fits into the latter category. It shows a traffic accident at 36th Place and Western Avenue in February 1952. The caption names the traffic officer as J. I. Massey, and says that the lady in the car is 25-year-old Alyce L. Hanson, who was one of the drivers involved. There are two pictures in the set, but they both have virtually the same view. I was hoping to see the other car. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the car is a 1950 Chevy convertible.

USC Digital Library
So do you think I have the right person? (she looks older in Hoss' pic but the info says she's 25)

for comparison

I can't say I'm completely sure because the lady sitting next to 'Alyce' in the birthday pic looks similar to Alyce.
And to be honest, she looks more like the woman in the car wreck / but the woman in the wreck is supposed to be 25 yrs old)

I think it's her Mom.
_

update: I
I think the 'Hansen' is her maiden name. (the 'L' in Hoss' pic is prob. her middle initial, right?

I mean, th

update: II
Oh man, I just noticed Hanson is spelled differently too. (maybe the press spelled Hansen wrong?

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 14, 2017 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 1:07 AM

Quote:

As for that other building you found at 239 W. 15th St.

for some reason PropertyShark has the build date of 1956. (you can tell it's way older than that by just looking)

https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/...eles-CA-90015/
It is way older. It was built by brothers Edward Cray Taylor and Ellis Wing Taylor, the architect and engineer, in 1928. I bet it was much more handsome before the brick got stuccoed. Going by the glimpse we get in the historic image Flyigwedge posted, it looks as though it got a parapet correction too:

via FW

The Taylors also did the Wolfer Printing Co building on the NE corner of Wall and Winston which I've posted about before (it's made of clinker brick), as has Big Orange Landmarks, who offer this:

"Edward Cray Taylor and Ellis Wing Taylor were the architect and engineer behind the Wolfer Building. Born in Chicago, the brothers would also build Yuma’s Masonic Temple, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Edward Cray also designed the Glassell Park Elementary School, which, while listed on the Register last year, is not a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument. E.C. Taylor died in his Beverly Hills home in 1946 at the age of 49. Engineer Ellis Wing, who was married to silent film actress Anne Cornwall, gained fame by designing airplane factories, including the Douglas plant in Long Beach and San Diego’s Consolidated factory. He died in 1951 in his Arcadia home "

FM Douglass, the owner, was president of the National Bank of Commerce, NW corner 6th & Spring.

gsv

Taylor's Glassell Park school, on the National Register of Historic Places:

wiki

Here is Anne Cornwall (1897-1980), the one-time Ms Ellis Wing Taylor, with her romantic-looking leading man in "College" (1927)

imdb

Last edited by tovangar2; May 14, 2017 at 6:58 AM. Reason: add pix

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Earl....its possible that the photo is reversed.
I think you're right:

Somebody should tell Magnum :-)

Definitely looks like a piece of studio equipment now. Mood music for the model posing on the floodlit bed?

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 6:05 PM

While looking for pictures of W 15th Street, I found this shot of Dayton Tires. Their name appears a couple of times when I search the thread, but I think this image is new.

Salesman group, Dayton Rubber Co., Southern California, 1929

USC Digital Library

The 1930 CD places the business at 1500 S Hope Street. I think the demo permit was issued in 1974. At least the base of the street light survived.

GSV

In the background of the shot above is the California State Employment Building at 1525 S Broadway. This sketch is from 1956. Notice in the background that City Hall has been moved for artistic reasons.

USC Digital Library

A year later, and construction is under way.

USC Digital Library

This 1958 photo is also labeled as "under construction", but it looks just about finished to me.

USC Digital Library

In recent years, the building has belonged to Neman Brothers.

GSV

All the street entrances have either been filled in or shuttered over the years. There's now graffiti on the front, and the paint is flaking. If it weren't for the trucks loading at the rear, I'd question whether it was still in use.

GSV

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:00 PM

I've been holding off posting this Julius Shulman photoset for about a week because I can't be sure it's in LA. This is "Job 84: John Kewell, Zeeman's Clothing Co., 1947".

If only there'd been a street sign.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The street light and streetcar tracks made me think it was LA, but the "State Highway 11" sign made me doubt it. The 1956 CD lists the Zeeman Clothing Co at 440 S Hill Street, and the 1951-1952 Long Beach CD lists a clothing company called Zeeman's of Long Beach at 416 Pine Avenue, so they definitely had a presence in LA, but the number above the door in the Shulman pictures is 601. Can anyone tell me where the building is/was.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:51 PM

^^^ FWIW, the "No Parking" sign says "L.A.P.D." And FWIW, the sign in the window behind the first shot says "BUIL? [ ] CONTROL [ ] IN [ ]"

Builders/Building Control [Something] Institute/Insurance?

And the building down the street in the second shot appears to be a Studebaker dealership. Plus Something "MATEO" in what could be a partial street sign in that shot.

Cheers,

Earl

Last edited by Earl Boebert; May 14, 2017 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 8:13 PM

W 15th

Last edited by tovangar2; May 14, 2017 at 9:48 PM. Reason: a repeat per hoss

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

^^^ FWIW, the "No Parking" sign says "L.A.P.D." And FWIW, the sign in the window behind the first shot says "BUIL? [ ] CONTROL [ ] IN [ ]"

Builders/Building Control [Something] Institute/Insurance?

And the building down the street in the second shot appears to be a Studebaker dealership. Plus Something "MATEO" in what could be a partial street sign in that shot.

Cheers,

Earl

Thanks, Earl, I missed the "LAPD" on the no parking sign. After a bit of trial and error, I decided that the window sign you mentioned was for Builders' Control Service Inc. Although the CDs weren't much help, I found an article in a December 1950 issue of the LA Times which says "The firm is moving to its new office building at 2235 Beverly Blvd., from 559 S Figueroa St.", which means the large building is the Jonathan Club. I think that also means that the Studebaker roof sign next to the no parking sign is on the dealership which stood at 7th and Figueroa before the Statler Hotel.

GSV

For comparison:

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

My eye was drawn to the delightful brick color of the building (in the background above) on the corner of Los Angeles. It looks like spicy gingerbread:

gsv

It was built in 1923 by Walker and Eisen as a rubber-stamp factory and has what must be the maximum allowable area of glass.
GW posted about the Los Angeles Rubber Stamp Company building back in 2013 - see post #12249. I also used the building to mark 1500 pages .

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
I recall seeing a few photos of Laurel Canyon's trackless trolley here before. I'd have liked to reference the previous post but couldn't find it. Anyway, here are some nice shots and an L.A. Times article that tells the story.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/P...ialbrowse=null

Building the trolley.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1328283489927

Lookout Mountain.

ebay

The above post contains other photos and information that should be viewed as part of that original post. There are others like it, e.g., http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=30337 and http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16286. There are undoubtedly a few more.

HDL has a fascinating photo album compiled by Theresa Sletton. http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...coll2/id/16487 Most of the images are from 1913. Some of those images include one of LorenDoc's favorite subjects, Laurel Canyon's trackless trolley and Lookout Mountain. A lot of the images are mysteries, including Luther's Bee Ranch, which is probably north toward Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo in Santa Barbara County. Others are marked Topanga Canyon and San Fernando. Santa Monica is also referenced. Here are a few to wet the historical appetite.

Theresa Sletton, Circa 1913

San Fernando Valley (Or maybe San Gabriel?)

San Fernando Valley ? 1913

Topanga boulder

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:36 PM

Amazing Sletton family photographs BRR. Thanks for posting them.

I've never seen that boulder in the last pic before. Any idea where it might be located?
___

I found a possible location for Grandma Swensen's Store[/I].

lapl

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reddir...album-1106684/

It was probably destroyed when they built the Santa Freeway. (esp. if it was on the south side of 16th street)

google_maps

I was hoping it was still there so I could send her granddaughter a pic of it.
__

So did anyone think that was the same Alyce in the Colony Club pic and in the car accident pic?

-just curious.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 14, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
I also used the building to mark 1500 pages .
Thx Hoss. Good to see the ground-floor's upper windows uncovered since you posted it. And it still makes a pretty pair with the William Douglas Lee building across the street, as it has for 92 years:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; May 14, 2017 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:04 PM

Here are a few images from the same "Theresa Sletton-album that might be of interest to city folk. The descriptions are sparse, but maybe enough to lead somewhere definitive. I include all of these diverse photos because maybe there are some dots that can be connected from the collection. There are one or two images that are clearly from a later period, probably the '30. There are a few newspaper clippings, post WWI. http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...coll2/id/16487

Lest I forget, this album is part of the Marquez collection, also mentioned on NLA before. http://www.huntington.org/WebAssets/....aspx?id=22977

"Old house on 5th Street" (No apparent drought here.)

Lapel flower probably suggests a special day.

Garapatos School steps. Topanga

The inscription is almost as interesting as the image.

Prison labor being used for road construction?

In honor of Mothers Day

General Store, Post Office, Topanga. (When enlarged "Topanga Post Office" is visible above "GROCERIES.")

The Luther Ranch, Springtime. The white specs to the right are not tombstones. As indicated by other images and text in the collection, they are bee hives.

Mrs. Luther, standing. Bertha Melcher and sister Josie, sitting.

At the risk of being pilloried for too many images, here's one more of the road. I do not recognize it, and there were "Summits" in Santa Cruz, El Cajon, San Diego and possibly Topanga.

Summit Station

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 14, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos