HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:43 PM

I have to disagree on the bus shelters, I think they look great. Sometimes simple is better IMHO. There are specific reasons for the design (by local firm Digsau) which are discussed in the linked article. These are good for the city as they come at no cost to tax payers and will generate revenue for the city.

"Nutter noted that the 600 shelters will nearly double the number currently located at SEPTA bus stops. He described the new shelters as “a triple win for the city. It’s a win for the bus and trolley riders who deserve new, more comfortable, well-lit and well-placed shelters. It’s a win for our city taxpayers who are benefitting from the more than $12 million investment by Intersection in new transportation infrastructure, so not only are these shelters not costing taxpayers a dime, but the shelters will generate additional predictable advertising revenue of $100 million over the next 20 years. And the third win is for the Mayor’s Office of Transportation and Utilities, which succeeded after years of attempts to get this project off the ground.”

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/1...Wo1BFowkQU6.99

Last edited by wondertwinalpha; Jul 22, 2016 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 11:14 AM

Seems like a pretty nice bus stop and comparable to world class city bus stops.

Last edited by mattejb; Jul 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 12:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Yeah, the consensus was that the project going in to that space is butt ugly. The dirt patch is nicer to look at than the proposed property.
i wouldnt go that far. And let's not forget a windowless warehouse was there. Not exactly a boon to the neighborhood. I'd take the 5 story apt building any day.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 12:59 PM

Re: Bus Shelters

I think design wise they look great. The only thing I would like to have seen is a display that gives you the ETA of the next bus in real time.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:45 PM

The Coolest Shipyard in America

Good article on the conversion of the Navy Yard.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...vy-yard-214072

Has there been any news of the latest study on a BSL extension? This article says it was to be completed in "mid to late 2016."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...avy-Yard-.html

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah. Ya know how at Home Depot you can buy paint brushes in 3 categories - good, better, best - at significantly rising price points? I think that's the type of catalogue we buy our street furniture from. Paris and Chicago? Best. New York, better. Philly and Cleveland? Good. There's absolutely nothing interesting or nice about them other than the fact that they're not rusted out and painted hospital death green.
How is this any different?

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8582...8i6656!6m1!1e1

...or this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7520...7i13312!8i6656

...and how is this better?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...297982!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:22 PM

2101 & 2145 South Street

Looks like they are proposing a 5-story mixed-use building with 20 apartments and ground floor retail to be built on existing parking lot.

110 S. Van Pelt Street/ 2117-23 Sansom St.

Looks like they are proposing four 5-story townhomes. This is the empty lot behind 2116 Chestnut.

http://www.centercityresidents.org/r...2007-26-16.pdf

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Good article on the conversion of the Navy Yard.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...vy-yard-214072

Has there been any news of the latest study on a BSL extension? This article says it was to be completed in "mid to late 2016."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...avy-Yard-.html
nothing is happening on the BSL extension. I believe another study or cost estimate is being done but the reality is without winning the federal 50% match it has no shot and even if it got that the local portion would be a challenge. In near term the K of P expansion is farther ahead in the process and more likely to win a federal match grant.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:43 PM
Philly Rising Up!

The Navy Yard is just really another "suburban office park." With the access to I-95, I think it will be a tough sell to get federal funding to extend the BSL.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The Navy Yard is just really another "suburban office park." With the access to I-95, I think it will be a tough sell to get federal funding to extend the BSL.
The Navy Yard may be a "suburban-styled" office park, but it's absolutely ready-made for transit expansion, and has enough of a critical mass. The potential ridership is there and only growing.

Also, since when does anyone want to willingly drive on the hot mess that is I-95 when a quick subway ride from Center City would be far more efficient/less stressful?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
The Navy Yard may be a "suburban-styled" office park, but it's absolutely ready-made for transit expansion, and has enough of a critical mass. The potential ridership is there and only growing.

Also, since when does anyone want to willingly drive on the hot mess that is I-95 when a quick subway ride from Center City would be far more efficient/less stressful?
your points are valid, but I still say it's a longshot for a variety of reasons, one being the extremely high projected cost to extend the line half a mile. This region is automatically at a disadvantage when it comes to expansions because SEPTA has no dedicated regional funding source and there is no regional taxation for transit expansion. Coming up with the 50% match for the route 100 expansion will be a challenge- especially when you consider Philly isn't likely going to add anything to the pot.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkway View Post
re: Bus shelters

i think design wise they look great. The only thing i would like to have seen is a display that gives you the eta of the next bus in real time.
+1

I'd much rather SEPTA waited to have the money to install real time bus data. The technology is there. But it seems par for the course for an organization that is only now adopting fare cards (and for the all the talk about waiting so long to adapt the technology allowing SEPTA to come up with the very best technology, it's not even close to as good as London's Oyster Card).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 11:59 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
your points are valid, but I still say it's a longshot for a variety of reasons, one being the extremely high projected cost to extend the line half a mile. This region is automatically at a disadvantage when it comes to expansions because SEPTA has no dedicated regional funding source and there is no regional taxation for transit expansion. Coming up with the 50% match for the route 100 expansion will be a challenge- especially when you consider Philly isn't likely going to add anything to the pot.
I'm hearing some rumors that I need to chase down and verify that the transit funding equation has changed, at least in Pennsylvania.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
4514-22 Woodland Ave - University of the Sciences Dormitory - dorm/retail - 6 floors

CDR Submission PDF:
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...te_reduced.pdf
This surprises me, not least because the last I had heard Orens Brothers had proposed turning the school into apartments.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I'm hearing some rumors that I need to chase down and verify that the transit funding equation has changed, at least in Pennsylvania.

This surprises me, not least because the last I had heard Orens Brothers had proposed turning the school into apartments.
That's what I thought too....

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 4:21 AM

Work has commenced on everyones favorite memorial park:
June 5th Memorial by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Renovations at the former Papa John's building at 21st and Market:
008 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Former Papa Johns building July 2016 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Former Papa Johns building July 2016 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Baum's building:
Baum's building July 2016 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Swartz building, which as you can see was trimmed back for that gorgeous new parking lot
Swartz building July 2016 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:11 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
nothing is happening on the BSL extension. I believe another study or cost estimate is being done but the reality is without winning the federal 50% match it has no shot and even if it got that the local portion would be a challenge. In near term the K of P expansion is farther ahead in the process and more likely to win a federal match grant.
Is anyone aware of any forums, either on this website or another, that discusses topics related to mass transit in our area?

I'd like to start getting more into the details. Thanks

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:33 PM

KOP expansion is so dumb, who's making the decisions at septa? You take the train to the middle of a parking lot surrounded by highways, then what ?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:34 PM

512 E. Girard Ave
Apartments/retail - 4 floors

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-new-mixed-use

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:08 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Is anyone aware of any forums, either on this website or another, that discusses topics related to mass transit in our area?

I'd like to start getting more into the details. Thanks
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 1:47 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Thanks EastSide!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development