HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Julius Shulman pictures of Los Angeles are getting thin on the ground again, so here's another single image. This is "Job 6329: First Interstate Bank building (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1985".

I find the colors very striking, and finally decided to leave them as they were. While I was toying with the adjustments, I spotted a detail that's not obvious in the original. Inside the circular part of the building is what looks like a safe. Has anyone got any more details?

This structure and its bank vault have been seen before as the United California Bank. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=16655 (Suspect it has been featured in one or two Films/TV shows.)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Jean Harlow, wearing a sailor outfit and her Cadillac V16, c.1934. I guess she preferred big powerful cars.

I wonder if this mystery location is her home?

Here is a link:
http://www.image-archeology.com/Home...y_Hills_CA.jpg

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jul 19, 2016 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 2:55 AM

Nancy Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
William Eythe at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/276104...in/dateposted/

Richard at flickr wrote:

"This is a really interesting photo of the Opening Night at the old Beverly Wilshire Hotel's luxurious new restaurant / drugstore, called Milton F. Kreiss. (We always called it just plain "MFK"). I believe that's the owner / operator at left. The memories that come-back of the times we hung-out there as kids! All we kids from Beverly Hills High would go there on the weekends, and you saw EVERYBODY from Warren Beatty to Woody Allen to "Swifty" Lazzar in there -- but I never saw William Eythe! This is from the mid-40's -- and Bill is just the shining image of "celebrity" here, isn't he? The lady with Bill is unknown -- but would it be safe to say she's a bit "Theatrical"?

I have no idea who that woman is either.

.....but is this 'Mel Cooley" in the background?

detail

Beside trying to figure out who the woman is, I was also curious about that torso shaped bottle. (a viewer on flickr says it's "a gigantic bottle of Schiaparelli's "Shocking"!)

which led me to this.....

http://thriftfabulous.typepad.com/.a...1e1c959970b-pi

The guy in the ad looks a bit like William Eythe
__

For some reason it's difficult to find any photographs of the Milton F. Kreis that was located in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
I'm hoping one of you will have better luck in finding one.
The "theatrical lady" is none other than actress Nancy Kelly who starred with Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda in Jesse James (1939) and with Spencer Tracy in Stanley and Livingstone (also 1939). She won a Tony for her Broadway performance in The Bad Seed in 1955, and was nominated for reprising the role in the 1956 film.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Despite several mentions, I haven't found any pictures of the Giese House yet. This may be a stupid question, but which house was it? This roughly south-looking image dates from 1954. It looks like every corner of the intersection of Sunset and Figueroa had a gas station.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

While we're in the area, these two houses were on the opposite side of Sunset (at 841 and 835), just out-of-shot in the image above. Seen here in 1960, Historic Aerials shows them gone by 1964.

California State Library
Hmmmm interesting. It's odd that when you search 'Geoff Palmer Victorian House' there are dozens of articles slamming him for 'tearing down the last Victorian on Bunker Hill', but not 1 image of the house in question. Seems fishy to me. Was the house truly a teardown but that didnt fit the anti-Palmer narrative of these articles?

Edit:

I seem to have found it, what do you guys think - was it worth saving?

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 19, 2016 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Hey guys - does anyone have an image of the 'last queen anne on Bunker Hill'?

According to many articles it was at Sunset & Figueroa. Does that even count as Bunker Hill? I've searched everywhere, no images turn up...

"1880s Queen Anne house left at Cesar Chavez Avenue and Figueroa Street in the late 1980s, when Palmer began work there on the Orsini. It was called the Giese House and it was protected under preservation laws. There were plans in place to move the house to Angelino Heights, but Palmer's workers demolished it instead."

http://la.curbed.com/2014/11/25/1001...ng-downtown-la
Quote:
Despite several mentions, I haven't found any pictures of the Giese House yet. This may be a stupid question, but which house was it? This roughly south-looking image dates from 1954. It looks like every corner of the intersection of Sunset and Figueroa had a gas station.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library
I believe we're looking for 840 Sunset, originally 840 Bellevue:

1891 LACD @ LAPL

Giese's home may have been renumbered from 256 to 840 Bellevue:

1888 LACD @ fold3.com

Here is the June 1949 Sanborn Map; 840 Sunset's address is at top center, with the house on the back of the lot:

Proquest via LAPL

Set back from Sunset on the rear of the lot, under the red star, is 840 Sunset. Under the green star is 830-32 Sunset,
with two gables facing north onto Sunset:

DW-V7-1-5 @ USCDL (thanks to HossC)

The building permit to move 840 Sunset to the rear of the lot is dated November 21, 1914:

LADBS

The Giese home at 840 Bellevue is on the seam between two volumes of the 1894 Sanborn (at upper right on the left-hand map,
and at upper left on the right-hand map). At some point the home was remodeled from one story plus basement to two stories:

Proquest via LAPL

Although the 1888 Sanborn does not show Sunset and Figueroa (then Bellevue and Pearl) in detail, it shows the area
on a wider map (in the lower left corner, Hope ends at Temple). I've marked the site of 840 Bellevue with a red star.
Below the red star, to the left of the M in Montreal, is an intersection with an abnormally wide, curved corner:

Proquest via LAPL

This looks south; it's from the 1888 William Henry Jackson panoramic photo we've seen before. The intersection
with the wide, curved corner is at the left edge of the photo, just above center. It is possible though by no means
certain that I've marked 830-32 Bellevue/Sunset with a green star and the Giese home at 840 with a red star:

Denver Public Library

At Historic Aerials, I think 840 Sunset is visible on the 1994 view. The house is definitely gone in the 2004 shot.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 19, 2016 at 7:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

This structure and its bank vault have been seen before as the United California Bank. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=16655 (Suspect it has been featured in one or two Films/TV shows.)
Thanks, Tourmaline. The different address and different bank name made me miss that post.

----------------------

This Julius Shulman post is another long shot. Again, there's no information with the photos, so it may not be in LA. It appears that this drive-in was still under construction when Mr Shulman visited. This is "Job 275: Drive-in Theater, 1948". Does anyone recognize it?

Could the "Kyle Steel" sign give us a clue to the location?

Both from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Tourmaline. The different address and different bank name made me miss that post.

----------------------

This Julius Shulman post is another long shot. Again, there's no information with the photos, so it may not be in LA. It appears that this drive-in was still under construction when Mr Shulman visited. This is "Job 275: Drive-in Theater, 1948". Does anyone recognize it?

Could the "Kyle Steel" sign give us a clue to the location?

Both from Getty Research Institute
I believe it's the Studio Drive-In (gone), at 5250 N. Sepulveda in Culver City.

Kyle Steel was at 3240 N. Durfee Ave., El Monte (location now in the City of Industry), according to that popular publication, Western Industrial Purchasing Guide, p. 339 (1955). Publication Steel, Vol. 13, p. 184, of the same year, tells us that the company had just "completed construction of a 75,000-sq-ft plant in El Monte, Calif. It will fabricate steel for industrial and commercial buildings." 1956's Western Metalworking, Vol. 14, p. 95, reports that Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel Co. had purchased Kyle Steel Co.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:05 PM

Thanks, odinthor. Now you've provided the name, I was able to find these images of the Studio Drive-In's marquee sign. The site also has a small version of the first Shulman image.

drive-ins.com

And here's a daytime shot after it closed.

drive-ins.com

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:30 PM

re: location of the "longest bar in the world"

eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
224 S. Hill St., evidently known as the Bicknell Bldg.
Thanks for your help odinthor.

Here's how the Bicknell Bldg looked in 1920. -decades before it was home to the "longest bar in the world".

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=23136

Originally posted by odinthor

Two orchestra pits in one bar? -sounds cacophonous!

And as odinthor pointed out, the above article is dated Dec. 16, 1938. In other words, the bar lasted only a few months past the Legion convention.

I still haven't figure out the name of the bar.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 19, 2016 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by HossC

I couldn't resist circling it.

Thanks for locating the SP,LA & SL RR arrowhead emblem Hoss. I thought I had covered every angle of that bridge.
While I was driving around in the google-mobile searching for the RR emblem, I found another interesting tidbit of history in the area.

About 1,500 feet northwest of this spot (along Whittier Boulevard) there is a "one-of-a-kind" tree. ('one-of-a-kind' as in...the only one on Earth!)

google_earth

a closer look.

The tree's name is the "Paradox Hybrid Walnut Tree".

History & Significance:

"Mr. George Weinshank planted the Paradox Hybrid Walnut Tree as an agricultural experiment.
Mr. Weinshank taught agriculture at the Whittier State School and the planting of the
tree was connected to an experimental planting conducted through the University of California,
Department of Agriculture. The tree is an unusual cross between the Black and English walnuts, and
is "believed to be one of a kind today." (Report from Consultants and Researchers C.J. Pilkerton and
Associates). As of January 19, 1994, Park Department official’s report fruit production still occurs,
however, the age of the tree prohibits the development of mature fruit as the walnuts are dropped
prior to ripening.
The method of grafting the two trees was conducted with failed results was abandoned and the tree,
possibly part of a larger grove, was left to die. The subject walnut tree consistently obtained water or
moisture from a nearby reservoir and flourished at the site. In 1955, highway plans illustrated the
removal of the walnut tree. Members of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Whittier Chapter
and the Native Daughters of the Golden West, Parlor #298 and Whittier Community Beautiful
persuaded the State to save the tree, and allow it to be maintained within a 3,000 foot long divider
strip.
The health of the tree was questionable and some surgery was performed on the tree. The park
facility includes a graded area of approximately 500 feet and in length and the sidewalks were
installed on both sides of the tree. Although the health of the tree improved, the parkway surrounding
the tree proved to be too difficult to maintain for the Whittier Community Beautiful organization, and a
long term agreement between the Whittier City Park Department and the State was executed.
Maintenance jurisdiction of both the tree and the divider strip was thus handed over to the City in
The tree has a canopy of approximately 100 feet and a trunk diameter of more than 13 feet in
The Walnut Tree stands beside a widely traveled highway, Whittier Boulevard, and
serves as a highly visible natural landmark."
www.whittiermuseum.org

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...ee_Whittier_CA

Today, it has some low-tech branch support.

www.haymaking.com

....from the google-mobile. (looking a bit scraggly)

gsv

Partially hidden by some shrubs on the left, is a plaque (shown below). -also note the "Camino Real Bell" on the right.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=50978

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 20, 2016 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:37 AM

Ad found in the 1938 Los Angeles City Directory.

http://rescarta.lapl.org/ResCarta-We...00003/00000003

This fine looking building would have been directly behind the Los Angeles Examiner Bldg.

google_aerial

Does anyone know when it was torn down?

I've been searching for a glimpse of it in vintage aerials but I haven't any luck (yet).

I thought for sure it would be in this 1926 aerial.

waterandpower.org

But I don't see it.

__

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Thanks for this link comparing the Bunker Hill video of 70 years ago to now as posted at The New Yorker. I enjoyed this.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:27 AM

In a similar vein, I found this video on youtube recently:

Ed Ruscha's Hollywood Boulevard, 1973 and 2002

It is 4 blocks of Hollywood Blvd. It's not stated on the page, but I figured out that it starts from McCadden Place on the north side of Hollywood Blvd. and goes east to Hudson Ave. Then it turns to the south side and goes back west down to McCadden Place.

You can't really make them out clearly, but something to notice, when it starts, up that street (McCadden) on the far left, is the famous Don the Beachcomber's restaurant and directly at the end of the street in the distance, at Yucca, is Patsy D'Amore's Villa Capri restaurant.

Other buildings we've discussed on NLA that you'll see are, among others, Pickwick Books, Phil Harris Records, the Jane's House, the Vogue Theatre (playing The Scarecrow and Frenzy in 1973), Musso & Frank's and McGoo's on the north side.

On the south side you'll see the Fox Theatre (formerly the Iris) playing two Bruce Lee films in 1973, J.J. Newberry's, Frederick's of Hollywood, the New-View Theatre a year before it became the Pussycat Theatre in 1974 and played Deep Throat for ten years, The Gold Cup, the Egyptian Theatre and the Hollywood Inn, one year before it was bought by Scientology. (The former Christie Hotel aka Drake Hotel.)

Then it stops a few hundred feet before it would've gotten to Coffee Dan's wouldn't you know.

You'll also see places we haven't mentioned liked Sillman's, Young China, La Casita, Cheap Feet and The House of Pants.

If this had been mentioned before, I didn't locate it.

Video Link

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jul 20, 2016 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:46 AM

Quote:

This fine looking building would have been directly behind the Los Angeles Examiner Bldg.

google_aerial

I've been searching for a glimpse of it in vintage aerials but I haven't any luck (yet).

I thought for sure it would be in this 1926 aerial.

waterandpower.org

But I don't see it.

__
Isnt it the white building behind the Examiner? looks like extra floors were added later

The windows and cornice seem about right, the doors in the right position, you can even see the fanlight over the top and the row of square windows to the left of it, and the indent to the left facade of the building matches too

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:07 AM

When doing my previous post, I looked up info to see when the Hollywood Inn had been sold and I found this bit of information:
There is a plaque on the sidewalk on the corner of McCadden and Hollywood Blvd. where the Hollywood Inn was.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/11/27/an-...that-portends/

Then I found what is said to be the only known footage of this parade on Hollywood Blvd. in 1970.
This was three years before Ruscha's photographs of the same area. There's about six minutes of
footage. In it, you can see some of those same buildings--the Hollywood Inn, The Gold Cup; The
Egyptian Theatre's blade sign is lit up, but I couldn't tell what film was being shown. You can see
the New-View Theatre which is playing The Boys in the Band and The Gay Deceivers. There's also
some businesses like the Bi-Rite Drugstore, Regal Shoes and the Supply Sergeant and a brief view
of the Pickwick Bookstore. The film is rather blurry, but very interesting. Footage begins at 1:20.

Video Link

http://laist.com/2016/06/13/weho_pride_history.php

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Seeing as the previous post was by Tourmaline, I'll use Tourmaline's method to point it out:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=31416

Here are some of the pictures from that post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

Stumbled across this Texaco Station image, but unable to find any listing for it or similar imagery. Source repeats the information written on the image, e.g., S Olive Street. Since Southwestern University looms in the background (1121 S. Hill Street), it is a fair bet that this Texaco station was at or near Tenth or Eleventh Street and Olive.

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics46/00057684.jpg

Undated image of Southwestern University construction (Building permit for this location appears to have been approved in 1923, so construction may be from late '23. 1973 demolition permit provides the sad end to this structure.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics25/00032471.jpg

November 1931 - Southwest University on Hill Street

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...5/id/933/rec/1
As Tourmaline said, the demo permit was issued in 1973. Here is the permit:

Online Building Records

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:55 PM

My apologies to Tourmaline for not remembering his excellent post.

Note the basketball or tennis court on the roof.

detail / enlarged

-and that's an impressive six-story blade sign.
__

Oh, and thanks Joe Gillis, for pointing out the building circled below is the same bldg.(before the upper stories were constructed)

detail/lapl

At first I thought there was a round 'turret' on the roof.....now I think it's an optical illusion.

So what in the heck is it anyway? (my eyes are stilling deceiving me)

extreme detail

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 20, 2016 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:58 PM

re: William Eythe and mystery woman at the opening of the Milton J. Kreis at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=35959

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCory View Post
The "theatrical lady" is none other than actress Nancy Kelly who starred with Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda in Jesse James (1939) and with Spencer Tracy in Stanley and Livingstone (also 1939). She won a Tony for her Broadway performance in The Bad Seed in 1955, and was nominated for reprising the role in the 1956 film.
Thanks MrCory. I agree that she resembles Nancy Kelly, but I'm not 100% convinced.
Was there anything specific that led you to deduce the woman in the photograph was her?
___

As for this....

http://annyas.com/screenshots

I've always thought Nancy Kelly's performance in 'The Bad Seed' was quite strange. The way she speaks just seems so odd to me.

Nancy Kelly as Christine Penmark

http://lecinemadreams.blogspot.com/2...seed-1956.html

I wondered if anyone else felt the same way about her performance, so I went a' googling

Indeed, there are numerous criticisms online about her acting in 'The Bad Seed' (despite being nominated as best actress)

Here's a rather humorous example:

"By the time 'The Bad Seed' was made, the principals had given nearly a thousand performances on Broadway — and all of them played to the last row of the second balcony. Nancy Kelly's acting is so mannered that it’s almost kabuki, and her vocal cords sound as if they have been tempest-tossed for years upon the billowy main of gin, under lowering clouds of tobacco. It’s a husky voice that sounds best in its lowest register, but Kelly favors her upper register, which produces an asthmatic rasp, like the last few drops of bathwater being squeezed out of a rubber duck."
http://www.tr10023.com/?p=583

Believe it or not, there's another performance in the film that makes Ms. Kelly's acting seem understated.

That performance belongs......

Eileen Heckart as Hortense Daigle.

Her inebriated scene will haunt you til' the day you die.

Ms. Heckart was also nominated for 'the Bad Seed', as best supporting actress.
____

And last but not least, there's the title character.

Patty McCormick as Rhode Penmark

Believe me, she is the bad seed to end all bad seeds.

Here's one of her infamous lines....

"Why should I feel bad, I'm not the one who died."

http://emanuellevy.com/review/bad-seed-the-1956/

Ms McCormack, at the tender age of 11, was also nominated for her role in 'The Bad Seed'. - a total of 3 nominations in the acting category.

They all lost.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 20, 2016 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
re: William Eythe and mystery woman at the opening of the Milton J. Kreis at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=35959

Thanks MrCory. I agree that she resembles Nancy Kelly, but I'm not 100% convinced.
Was there anything specific that led you to deduct the woman in the photograph was her?
___

As for this....

http://annyas.com/screenshots

I've always thought Nancy Kelly's performance in 'The Bad Seed' was quite strange. The way she speaks just seems so odd to me.

Nancy Kelly as Christine Penmark

I wondered if anyone else felt the same way about her performance, so I went a' googling

Indeed, there are numerous criticisms online about her acting in 'The Bad Seed'
(despite being nominated for an Academy Award as best actress in the role)

Here's a rather humorous example:

"By the time 'The Bad Seed' was made, the principals had given nearly a thousand performances on Broadway — and all of them played to the last row of the second balcony. Nancy Kelly's acting is so mannered that it’s almost kabuki, and her vocal cords sound as if they have been tempest-tossed for years upon the billowy main of gin, under lowering clouds of tobacco. It’s a husky voice that sounds best in its lowest register, but Kelly favors her upper register, which produces an asthmatic rasp, like the last few drops of bathwater being squeezed out of a rubber duck."
http://www.tr10023.com/?p=583

And believe it or not, there's another performance in the film that makes Ms. Kelly's acting seem understated.

That performance belongs to none other than......

Eileen Heckart as Hortense Daigle.

Her inebriated scene will haunt you til' the day you die.

Ms. Heckart was also nominated for 'the Bad Seed', as best supporting actress.
____

And last but not least, there's the title character.

Patty McCormick as Rhode Penmark

Believe me, she is the bad seed to end all bad seeds.

Here's one of her infamous lines....

"Why should I feel bad, I'm not the one who died."

making sure the people in the last row can see her expression.

http://emanuellevy.com/review/bad-seed-the-1956/

And yes, Ms McCormack, at the tender age of 11, was also nominated for her role in 'The Bad Seed'. - a total of 3 nominations in the acting category.

They all lost.
__
Haven't seen "The Bad Seed" since I was a teenager - many moons ago LOL - but recall thinking Nancy Kelly's performance was pretty amazing; she looked and sounded exactly like a woman in the midst of a full-blown nervous breakdown. Inches from needing a strait-jacket. It was definitely one-of-a-kind. Also remember the superb character actress Evelyn Varden, the sort of " tough old broad/town gossip" type you don't see much anymore in films.
I agree the "theatrical woman" resembles certain photos of Nancy Kelly & certainly don't deny MrCory's claim, but I too am interested in why he's positive it is her.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Haven't seen "The Bad Seed" since I was a teenager - many moons ago LOL - but recall thinking Nancy Kelly's performance was pretty amazing; she looked and sounded exactly like a woman in the midst of a full-blown nervous breakdown. Inches from needing a strait-jacket. It was definitely one-of-a-kind. Also remember the superb character actress Evelyn Varden, the sort of " tough old broad/town gossip" type you don't see much anymore in films.
I agree the "theatrical woman" resembles certain photos of Nancy Kelly & certainly don't deny MrCory's claim, but I too am interested in why he's positive it is her.
I can't speak for McCory, but the lady in the photo not only resembles Kelly, at least superficially, but she also shares that distinctive small mole on the lower side of Kelly's chin.

And put me in the group that has always found Kelly's performance in BAD SEED to be over the top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos