HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I've been having difficulty typing my posts and I think it might have something to do with that annoying video ad (in the center, at the bottom) that keeps loading....and loading...and loading...and loading.

Is there anyway to block the damn ad? -like shut off 'shockwave' or whatever it's call?
I've warded off some such problems by making it so that Flash player does not load automatically when arriving at a site or page; instead, I get a system pop-up which asks me if I want it (Flash) to run (in other words, I've enabled "click to play"). Here's how:

http://www.howtogeek.com/188059/how-...y-web-browser/

To which I'd like to add: Hi, all--this is my first post, though I've long been an occasional reader. Some of you may know of me from my site "A Visit to Old Los Angeles and Environs," and/or similar. Attempts to join or log in to this forum had been futile for years (!) until magically all went well a week or so ago; so here I am. My focus era is rather earlier than yours; but perhaps now and then I can offer some stray bit of information.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 6:01 PM

Welcome to 'noirish Los Angeles' odinthor. Thanks for the tip.

-sorry you had such a hard time signing up.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Welcome to 'noirish' Los Angeles odinthor. Thanks for the tip.

-sorry you had such a hard time signing up.
Thanks for the welcome, and glad to be a member! Oh, the hours I've spent here as a reader, fascinated by the posts and the savvy of the forum's writers...

Had spent some time trying to address your question about the large building near 408 N. Hill when I suddenly realized that you were asking about a building on the east side of Hill while I was busily researching the large building on this side of the HS on the west side of Hill. That on-the-west-side building, which looks like a boarding house, is probably the one at 409 N. Hill which was auctioning off all its movable goods on January 14, 1919: It seems to have had about 30-35 three-room apartments (extrapolating from the auction announcement). But, sigh, that's not the one you wanted to know about. Back to the drawing board!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:16 PM

I was wondering about this building odinthor. (I thought it resembled an auditorium of some sort)

originally posted by Tetsu

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:40 PM

I'm not leaving any images out of this photoset, even though there's some repetition! It shows the Barker Bros furniture store at 3700 W Santa Barbara Avenue (now 3700 W Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard) in Crenshaw. It's Julius Shulman's "Job 353: Harry Bennett, Barker Brothers (Los Angeles, Calif.),1948". The description says that Harry Bennett was the architect.

That looks like a porte cochère just off Marlton Avenue.

Notice the hills in the background - the area was still quite undeveloped in 1948.

A closer look at the Marlton Avenue side.

Three newly-planted palm trees.

I'm guessing that that's the shadow of Mr Shulman.

Looking straight at the entrance.

A display window near the porte cochère.

All from Getty Research Institute

The website you-are-here.com claims that the building was a 1948 Claud Beelman design, which disagrees with the photoset description above. I tried to resolve whose work it was, but the online building records only have a digital image of a 1958 alteration that added "new caisson beams and walk" (I searched for the original address).

Here's the building in June 2011. The signs indicate that it had been used for a variety of purposes, including a swap meet.

GSV

This image is from just one year later. Today, only the small grassy areas on the sidewalk survive. We're also missing the center palm tree, but, to quote Meatloaf, "two out of three ain't bad"!

GSV

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:47 PM

That was such an impressive building. I was saddened to see that last google-street view.

__

Ferraro's Pure Carrot Juice. "Fresh Daily" "Liquid Gold"

eBay

Located at 1007 S. Primrose Avenue, Monrovia California.

...and today.

gsv

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
I was wondering about this building odinthor. (I thought it resembled an auditorium of some sort)

originally posted by Tetsu

I'm thinking it was built to be stables. I note the very utilitarian smaller structures around it, maybe storage for tools, harness and carriage parts, feed...

This is what has me stumped:

http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/temp.html

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I'm thinking it was built to be stables. I note the very utilitarian smaller structures around it, maybe storage for tools, harness and carriage parts, feed...
I think it might be a bit late for stables.

Here, in ca 1898, the street frontages have been graded, leaving the cemetery on a wedge-shaped piece of land:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Also labeled "ca 1898", a building sort of like the one in tetsu's photo has been built, but maybe further west than the one we're looking at. It was a rooming house and hotel:

previously posted by MichaelRyerson (detail)

By 1910 more apartments had been built on the block:

historic mapworks

1921. The cemetery has been transformed into a playground:

historic mapworks

A permit was pulled in 1921 to move LAHS No.1 back 100'.
A permit from 1922 allows a 2-story, eight-room building to be built on the former LAHS No.1 site designed by Chauncey Fitch Skilling.

Does anyone know if this happened? It hadn't by the time of tetsu's photo. Plans must have changed.

The building in question looks rather like an auditorium/gymnasium to me (as e_r has already said).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 10:27 PM

Crane Company

To follow-up on the PM, welcome to odinthor and many thanks for your valuable site.

This photo, looking east on 3rd from Broadway, across Spring to Main is a favorite with its bouquet of famous buildings, Jerry Illich's, the Douglas, the Stimson, the Liberty Theater, St George, Gray's, the Washington and the Bradbury:

a visit to old los angeles and environs

Can anyone tell me what "Crane Co" was (their painted sign shows over the roof of the St George)?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 10:27 PM

Yes, quite too late for an active stable in that area; I was thinking it was perhaps a remnant of past times (but perhaps not!). The building's roof intrigues me. Without much success, I'm trying to imagine why it would be built that way.

Just to take the opportunity to put on record a tiny note about the nearby old High School, the one formerly on Pound Cake Hill: A now-deceased friend of mine told me that, in his youth, he got inside it during its period of disuse. What he remembered was the massive, heavy windows (at least, so it seemed to him in his youth), one of which I gathered he opened, at least a little (I hope he closed it afterwards!).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
To follow-up on the PM, welcome to odinthor and many thanks for your valuable site.

This photo, looking east on 3rd from Broadway, across Spring to Main is a favorite with its bouquet of famous buildings, Jerry Illich's, the Douglas, the Stimson, the Liberty Theater, St George, Gray's, the Washington and the Bradbury:

a visit to old los angeles and environs

Can anyone tell me what "Crane Co" was (their painted sign shows over the roof of the St George)?
Crane Co. was a plumbing firm. I see it mentioned in the L.A. Times as supporting the La Fiesta Fund 3/27/1898; and 6/11/1910 it is again mentioned in the Times as one of the defendants in a suit against a "conspiracy" of plumbing companies. You don't want plumbers conspiring against you and getting away with it (shudder).

Edit: Not just plumbing: All sorts of manufacturing, it seems!

Last edited by odinthor; Oct 29, 2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Additional info...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 11:34 PM

Crane Co

Oh, OK. That Crane. The 1855 Chicago one. Thanks.

crane co

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

This is what has me stumped:

http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/temp.html

odinthor, at first glance I thought the building might be the back side of a synagogue.

It has the same basic shape as the Breed Street Shul in East Los Angeles. (and it's from the same time period)

http://laeastside.com/2010/04/chican...-in-boyle-hts/

I have to say, the Breed Street Shul deserves it's own NLA post. It's such an awesome building (although in disrepair).

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 30, 2015 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:01 AM

originally posted by HossC

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=31807

Any idea why a furniture store needs four separate antennas?

What was their purpose?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 30, 2015 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
originally posted by HossC

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=31807

Any idea why a furniture store needs four separate antennas?

What was their purpose?
__
My guess ER is that the store sold TV's and needed reception for their display. Maybe they also sold high end radios?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 1:30 AM

You're probably right CityBoydoug. I forgot all about televisions.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:17 AM

Quote:

__
Do we know what the LAHS Annex on the east side of Hill looked like and when it was built? (this may be almost twenty years later than odinthor's photo):

historic mapworks baist 1910

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Do we know what the LAHS Annex on the east side of Hill looked like and when it was built? (this may be almost twenty years later than odinthor's photo):

historic mapworks baist 1910
I can add that I've seen a pic somewhere taken of HS graduates standing in front of the HS, the photographer seemingly on the roof of whatever building it is that I've arrowed. This might (weakly) imply that it (the bldg. the photographer was on) was also HS property. So this would make sense that it would be the annex. From what we can see, the structure has a rather interesting look; I'm curious to see more of it!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You're probably right CityBoydoug. I forgot all about televisions.
As a kid I had to go to the neighbor's house to watch TV. My stepdad thought that TV was a bad influence. He knew a lot of Hollywood movie people and he thought they were naughty.
That's funny because he was as naughty as they were. He finally bought a big RCA around 1956 when he wanted to watch the Ed Sullivan Show. The rest is history.

One of my stepdad's clients was actor Leo Carrillo....the ''Mexican'' cowboy. Leo was born in Los Angeles in 1880. I remember he telephoned our home one Saturday afternoon.
His wife died in 1953 and that call may have had something to do with that. It was very rare than any client called our home.

Leo Carrillo

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:25 PM

Here's a slightly clearer view of the mystery building near the High School. USC date this shot at circa 1904-1905. At first I thought there was some writing on the front,
but, on closer inspection, I realized it was the top decoration of the roof of the building in front. The oil derricks are very prominent in the background.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Just below the mystery building is the Broadway tunnel. We've seen it many times on NLA, but usually with stairways suspended over the entrance. This shot gives a good view of the wooden steps on the right.

The sign above the entrance warns of a $50 fine "For Riding Or Driving Through This Tunnel Faster Than A Walk". I'm guessing that $50 was a huge amount of money in 1904/05.

The picture above is part of a three-piece photoset. I managed to successfully merge the second and third images into the panorama below.
As e_r would say, be sure to scroll right . ----------->

USC Digital Library/USC Digital Library

I couldn't get the third picture to merge, but thought I should include it anyway. It fits on the left of the other two.
Originally, this image was quite washed-out. I've done my best to improve the contrast.

USC Digital Library

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos