HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 8:35 PM

I found this interesting screen-grab last night in an old file of mine (but I don't remember what movie it's from) -sorry.

At first, I thought the bridge was the Pomeroy Avenue pedestrian bridge. (see below)

-but now I don't think so.. (compare County Hospital in the background of both photographs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

"Pedestrian Bridge over Ramona Boulevard at Pomeroy Avenue."

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/5231/rec/7

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 4, 2015 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 9:58 PM

I think it might be the bridge you circled on the aerial below when you were looking for the Pomeroy Avenue bridge.

Quote:

below: Do you think this is the deco pedestrian bridge?

1948 / posted by HossC

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 10:04 PM

I think you're right Hoss.

Wilshire Federal Savings
3500 Wilshire Boulevard at Normandie

then

eBay

It's still there, but it's difficult to tell under all that signage.

gsv

__

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 10:30 PM

An earlier 3500 Wilshire Boulevard:

http://wilshireboulevardhouses.blogs...e-see-our.html

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 13, 2018 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

By 1921 Good Sam is up (Shatto continues to T-junction at Lucas). The large estate (?) at Lucas and 6th is still in place. As well as the other residential development it's been joined by a new apartment building (facing on Orange/Wilshire):

baist 1921, plate 8 (detail)

I guess my question is, what was the 'large estate' at 6th and Lucas?
(and were those nice stone walls on Lucas and 6th originally built for the estate?)
Here's what I've found about the large estate.

The following images are from a PDF file about the Bixel/Lucas project I found at planning.lacity.org. You can download it here - it's 610 pages long and 46.3Mb! Other PDFs are available here, but I have't looked at them yet.

The 1906 Sanborn map shows a single building in the area marked "Tract 321" on the Baist map.

The 1950 Sanborn map appears to show the same building labeled as "Bishop Johnson College of Nursing", with the dormitory building to the left. The surviving building at 6th and Lucas, and Bixel House are also shown.

Splitting the two Sanborn maps is this 1928 aerial image. The path/drive layout looks similar to the Baist map.
NB. The blue outline is slightly out of place as it seems to include Bixel House.

The top of the college building is visible between Bixel House and the nurses' dormitory on the image I posted earlier.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

So, do the Baist and 1906 Sanborn maps show the Bishop Johnson College of Nursing, or did the college take over a large building on the site. The Museum of Nursing History seems to indicate that Bishop Johnson arrived in Los Angeles in 1896.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 11:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I found this interesting screen-grab last night in an old file of mine (but I don't remember what movie it's from) -sorry.

At first, I thought the bridge was the Pomeroy Avenue pedestrian bridge. (see below)

-but now I don't think so.. (compare County Hospital in the background of both photographs)
I believe that is the Pomeroy Ave. bridge BUT its a view looking north east towards the County Hospital. I think that's why its a bit confusing.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I believe that is the Pomeroy Ave. bridge BUT its a view looking north east towards the County Hospital from the other side of the bridge.
I think that's why its a bit confusing.

The yellow arrow is pointing at the Hospital.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 12:10 AM

CBD, the pedestrian bridge in the aerial (above) is the bridge in TCM screengrab. (but the Pomeroy Avenue pedestrian bridge was further east)

here's the Pomeroy bridge (located by HossC)

originally posted by HossC
__

'mystery' mansion

detail / of image posted by HossC

Is the angled building at lower right a dormitory? It says 'Nurses D.'

I wonder if the thick black line between the nurses home and the mansion denotes a tunnel. (wishful thinking I know ) -actually, now that I think about it, tunnels are dotted lines.
__

NoirCityDame, thanks so much for your excellent posts on the drive-ins.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 5, 2015 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 12:53 AM

Just to clarify about the pedestrian bridges, as e_r says, there were two bridges quite close together. The Pomeroy Avenue bridge in the USC image is the one on the right, while the TCM screengrab posted earlier today by e_r shows the one on the left.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Just to clarify about the pedestrian bridges, as e_r says, there were two bridges quite close together. The Pomeroy Avenue bridge in the USC image is the one on the right, while the TCM screengrab posted earlier today by e_r shows the one on the left.

Historic Aerials
I was correct and wrong at the same time. Oh well, that's life. Thanks guys for the clarification[s]. I now know that there were TWO very
similar bridges. At least that's what seems to be for now anyway. I thinks its time for a rest and some tea.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 2:15 AM

My apologies if this has already been posted in this thread. I was just "In the Mood."

Arroyo Seco Parkway, 1939
Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 3:17 AM

Bishop Joseph Horsfall Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The 1950 Sanborn map appears to show the same building labeled as "Bishop Johnson College of Nursing", with the dormitory building to the left. The surviving building at 6th and Lucas, and Bixel House are also shown.

So, do the Baist and 1906 Sanborn maps show the Bishop Johnson College of Nursing, or did the college take over a large building on the site. The Museum of Nursing History seems to indicate that Bishop Johnson arrived in Los Angeles in 1896.
Thank you so much Hoss for all your hard work re this.

The initial assembly for the new Los Angeles diocese was held December 3, 1895 at the then Church of St Paul on Olive between 5th and 6th Streets. "The delegates assembled for those Tuesday proceedings named the new Diocese of Los Angeles, elected the Rev. Joseph Horsfall Johnson, rector of Christ Church, Detroit, to be its first bishop, and set his annual salary at $3,000.

Johnson served a 32-year episcopate until his death in 1928 at age 81. During his tenure he raised considerable funds for Good Samaritan Hospital and established several other institutions including the Bishop's School for Girls in La Jolla, having also purchased the Harvard School for Boys. Opting not to build a cathedral, Johnson declared St. Paul's Church to be the diocesan pro-cathedral in 1899. -- Robert Williams, The Episcopal News, November/December 1995, excerpt"

via here and here.
old homes of LA[/I]

Last edited by tovangar2; Sep 5, 2015 at 6:38 AM. Reason: Ack, this post keeps eating a line and I can't seem to fix it :-(

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 3:43 AM

I think this photograph is fantastic.

Five stylish patrons posing in front of Barry's Cocktail Lounge.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...02/id/3/rec/21

note the padded 'leather' door, similar to the recently discussed angels flight café doors.

I found the address in the 1956 city directory.

http://rescarta.lapl.org/ResCarta-We...00001/00000001

After all these years the space is still a bar. (now it's a lounge called the 'The Living Room')

gsv

"The main entrance is around back, but for the full speakeasy experience, ring the bell on the sidewalk entrance and someone will buzz you in." -laweekly

here's the view around back. -not much to see

gsv

but the interior is noirishly stylish.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/livin...kY7CF3YLIKzJEg

I bet the owners of the 'Living Room' would love to have that vintage photograph of the well-dressed patrons, framed and hanging in their bar.

I certainly would.
__

I just came across this......

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...274265271.html
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 5, 2015 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 4:03 AM

Moon Over Miami Club, Sherman Oaks

Back in April 2015 I posted these images which had been sent to me by someone trying to find info about the Moon Over Miami Club on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks. I tried everything I could think of, but failed to unearth a skerrick of information. For those who are interested, I thought I'd post this blog. It's by a guy named Karl Gerber who came across the post on my site and gleefully took on the challenge. His investigations are still underway, but his findings are quite interesting, esp for us Valley-ites.

http://employeelawca.com/vintagela/s...-oaks-stables/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
I was approached recently via my website by someone looking for any and all available information and photographs of a club called MOON OVER MIAMI which stood at 13333 1/2 Ventura Blvd, which would put it in Sherman Oaks. I'd never heard of it, nor could I find anything about it in any of the online LACDs or in the usual digital photo collections I go to. So I was hoping that someone here might have info and/or photos.

A couple of odd things
- The phone number V.N. 8360 - I've never seen a phone number listed like that.
- The advertisement has it at 1333 1/2 Ventura which (accordingly Google Maps) would put it in Camarillo, which can't be right. I wonder if someone's head rolled after that ad came out.

Any contributions / memories / suggestions / pointers would be appreciated! Thanks much.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

An earlier 3500 Wilshire Boulevard:

http://wilshireboulevardhouses.blogs...e-see-our.html
Not to repeat myself, but Yolanda Avenue and Veloz Avenue in Tarzana are named after the two dancers. Their daughter is named Yolanda Veloz.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Slim View Post
Hoss C - My jaw dropped when I saw the photos of South Broadway around the BofA branch. That was my neighborhood, from infancy until I left home to join the military after high school.

We lived on 58th Street, and I walked up and down Broadway, and rode the buses and streetcars, nearly every day, from Florence to Santa Barbara, past those businesses.

Mom walked down Broadway to that branch every week to deposit Dad's paycheck - marble, long counter, brass fixtures - with me walking and my sis in a stroller, and then pay utility bills.

My best friend's Mom worked at that Kress - she ran the nut and candy counter. The Strand Theater was down the street near Vernon, and there was another theater at about 55th I think. That was Nate's Liquors at 47th and Broadway. The street had cleaners, bars, photo studios, theaters, the 54 Ballroom, corner markets, mom 'n pop dime stores, furniture stores, etc.

We were in Holy Cross parish, at 47th and Main, where I went to grammar school and my Mom went and was married in the church. My Mom lived at Vernon and Main before marrying my Dad.

The street car tracks were for the 7 Car, later the 7 Bus which went downtown. I remember the neighborhood before the Harbor Freeway was built, and all the east/west streets went through.

In the late 1950's my Dad owned the Broadway Palace night club at 5275 South Broadway.

My parents moved out of South Central in late 1966. The 1965 Watts Riots took a large toll on the businesses there - many were looted and the buildings burned.
Great reading and seeing the B of A posts by HossC and Slauson_Slim 's comments about the Broadway corridor between Vernon and Slauson. I grew up in the same area (49th & Hoover), and was also part of the Holy Cross parish and elementary school family! I can identify with most of Slauson_Slim's recollections firsthand...

Here is a pic of the building on 48th & Broadway that housed "Nate's Liquor" (where the 99cent store is)

Here is our elementary school, Holy Cross, located on Main between 47th and 48th Street. Eventually this building was torn down and a new school was built on the large playground area across the street (47th Place)

Here is a pic of the new school:

This Holy Cross parish church, built, I believe, in 1922. The parking lot seen in this current photo (where the brown awning creeps into view) is roughly where the old school building once stood. In 1966-67, the old building was torn down and the school relocated across the street, between 48th and 49th.

This is the building located on the SE corner of 47th Street and Broadway, directly across from the brown brick building (NE corner) shown in the B of A series of that branch. This building used to be a Thrifty Drug Store that I used to go into afterschool on the way home. This store had a fountain grill, so imagine a bunch of kids sitting at the counter at around 3 o'clock, ordering old time sodas and ice cream floats!

I think my older sisters started Holy Cross back in 1958 or so; I attended from 1961 thru 1969...in the early 1970s, Holy Cross became a "middle school", eliminating grades 1-6, while keeping grades 7-8 (essentially a junior high school). Presently, the school is a private adult learning center.

Lots of memories of the area!

Last edited by lemster2024; Sep 5, 2015 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 8:51 PM

Thanks for adding your memories, lemster. We're a little south of there today.

A couple of my latest Julius Shulman posts have featured a Bank of America branch on Manchester Avenue and a Bank of America branch on S Broadway, so I thought I'd combine the two and show the branch at Manchester Avenue and S Broadway. This is "Job 1034: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1951". On the left is Karl's Shoes, See's Candies and Hartfields. On the right, the large roof sign belongs to the Manchester Theatre at 322 W Manchester Avenue.

Looking east, this view shows that the bank extended up to the "Cafe" sign on the building next door.

A wider view looking west on Manchester Avenue.

All from Getty Research Institute

I was disappointed twice before I got my orientation correct. After seeing the Olive Street sign in the second picture, I accidentally typed "5800 S Olive" into Google instead of "8500 S Olive", and found myself at a nearly identical road layout several blocks north. Quickly realizing my mistake, I dropped my Google man at Manchester and Broadway, and found myself facing a modern Bank of America branch complete with drive-thru. Thinking it had replaced the building in the Shulman picture, I spun the Googlemobile around and finally discovered the original bank building on the opposite corner. Apart from the tarp on the roof and the covered windows, it seems to have survived pretty well. The old Karl's Shoes, See's Candies and Hartfields stores are also still recognizable.

GSV

The buildings next to and opposite the old bank also survive. I deliberately chose this angle because I think the Olive Street shotgun sign is the same as the one seen in 1951. The lamppost, hidden here by the utility pole, also looks the same, although the tops have been changed.

GSV

Two major changes are evident when comparing this last view to the last Shulman photo: the Manchester Theatre is missing, and the Harbor Freeway now crosses Manchester Avenue in the distance. The 1926 Manchester Theatre survived the building of the freeway, but was demolished sometime between 1963 and 1972 (going by Historic Aerials) - you can read more at cinematreasures.org. I won't claim that the building on the left was the most beautiful in the world, but it's really not being helped by mixed paint schemes, external ducting and graffiti. On the right is the new Bank of America which initially confused me.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 10:39 PM

Wonderful photos from South Broadway, and of Holy Cross Church and School.

The original church was wooden, built early in the 20th Century, burned down and replaced by the brick structure, which was damaged later in earthquakes. On the wall in my home office is a picture of my parents leaving the church on their wedding day in 1942, Dad in his USAAF uniform and Mom resplendent in white.

I remember the fountain/grill at the Thrifty - cherry cokes. Next door to Nate's was a bar run by Nate. The barber was a block north on South Broadway.

Also at Manchester and Broadway was a bowling alley/pool room, several bars and a nightclub, as well as the theater. And Sopp's car wash. St. Michael's parish, grammar school, and girls' high school were further west on Manchester Ave.

There were shopping areas at South Broadway and Vernon, down to Slauson, at Florence and Manchester Aves. Also at Manchester, and Slauson, and Vermont.

You all have brought a bunch of memories rushing back.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 1:51 AM

Holy Cross Church, Main and 47th Street: "Everything south of MLK Blvd was farmland"

I was charmed by your descriptions of your old neighborhood back in the day Lemster2024 and Slauson Slim. I found this little history of Holy Cross on the church website:

"To understand the story of Holy Cross Parish, we must go back to the early 1900’s when South Main Street was a 'rutted dirt road' and everything South of Santa Barbara Avenue [now MLK Blvd] was farmland. To attend Sunday mass, the few Catholics who lived in this area had to travel by horse and buggy to [old] Saint Vincent’s church on Washington and Grand or to Saint Joseph’s Church on E 12th [and] Los Angeles St.. In 1906, a petition was sent to Bishop Thomas J. Conaty asking for a new parish to be established. The Bishop approved the petition and six lots were purchased on the corner of Main Street and 47th Street. A cottage was built at [Main and Seneca, now Main and 47th Pl] and Father Thomas Fahey was assigned as pastor. Father Fahey celebrated the first mass of Holy Cross Parish on November 4, 1906 in his cottage. A temporary wooden church was erected [in 1907]. The temporary Church served the needs of the parishioners until the current church was erected. Constructed in the modified Gothic style, the new church was dedicated in 1912 by the same person who enabled Holy Cross Parish to exist, Bishop Thomas Conaty. Construction of the new church was completed in 1913 at the cost of more than $50,000.00—an an astronomical figure at that time. Despite its costs, that church, unique in design and features has 'shone like a beacon of hope for all'."

The "temporary church", 1907

holycrossccla (LA Herald article on the dedication is here)

The current church (1913):

gsv

Bishop Conaty:

cavanlibrary <--bio at link

Rev Fahey:

LA Herald 1904 <--bio at link

Good article from the 20 October 1906 LA Herald about the new parish and Rev Fahey is here

Rev Fahey left the parish in 1916.

Last edited by tovangar2; Sep 7, 2015 at 2:13 AM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 4:41 AM

The "Bowl" Road

I found this one on Bizarre Los Angeles' Facebook page with the caption:

The "Bowl" Road, which I'm guessing led to the Hollywood Bowl, which opened around July of1922.

I know there is a "Hollywood Bowl Road" leading from Highland Ave into the Bowl, but was there ever buildings so close to the entrance on what looks like Highland?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos