HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:05 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Yea I wouldn't think we would have to be a major connecting port to have a new terminal built. They will build as long as the demand and growth is there. If the terminal reaches it's full build out as an O&D airport and we continue to see demand for more routes and new airlines moving into the market than you can bet there will be a new terminal built.

But as already stated that will be awhile. In the mean time I'd like to see the east terminal expansion pick up speed. I understand that they needed to get other projects completed first before they could proceed but we are really growing rapidly. We are continuing to outdo the previous year and that doesn't look to be changing in the near term at the very least.

And just a quick response to electricion.

Yes believe it or not contrary to what you think Austin is indeed rapidly becoming a major destination as evidenced by our passenger growth over the last few years and as GoldenBoot mentioned it is not out of the realm of possibility that at some point in the distant future ABIA would be expanded to over 100 gates. We have the space to expand if need be and that's really what this conversation is about. I know it's hard for you to believe Austin has an airport but that's just how it is.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:41 PM

We need to be at 35 gates right now... IF we stay on track the Austin metro will double population in the next ~20yrs... San Antonio will continue to grow. Seems quite logical that 70 gates is in the realm of possibility that soon without a hub.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Thanks Captain Obvious. I had no idea that we were a O&D airport and not a connecting hub. Thanks for letting me know.
Sorry. I guess in response to your question " Has the airport poo-pooed the "preferred" master plan (construction of a new south terminal complex) and instead going with the Barbara Jordan Terminal "concourse/pier" idea?" I should have simply said "no" and left it at that without actually giving I reason why I thought that.

Quote:
I also had no idea that there is a written rule that adding 11-20 more gates (new terminal) to ABIA would require the airport to become a hub with 50% or more of the passengers connecting to other flights.
I had no idea that I ever implied anything of the sort. I said the only way two finger concourses added at the existing terminal (not new terminal) would work is if we had a high percentage of connecting passengers who didn't need to use any of the landside facilities.

Quote:
Yes, I would tend to agree with your assessment.
Great! Then I guess there's no need to keep asking " Has the airport poo-pooed the "preferred" master plan (construction of a new south terminal complex) and instead going with the Barbara Jordan Terminal "concourse/pier" idea?"

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. The "budget terminal" is not in an area where a possible, new terminal would be constructed. However, one thing you failed to consider is the fact that should construction commence on a new southern terminal, access to the "budget terminal" would more than likely be severed.

You don't have to understand my "concern." As I stated...it was a question. But, thank you anyway.
Sorry. I guess rather than using the word "concern" I should have phrased the question as "Why would the city entering into a lease with a term of up to 40 years not bode well for the construction of a new south terminal?" Thank you for answering the question about the possibility of access to the budget terminal being severed should construction begin on a new southern terminal.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 5:55 AM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 6:24 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
From another site appears KE is reducing their daily IAH-ICN flight. Wonder what they will do with the equipment? As it stands now IAH looks to be saturated with Asian flights. Between UA, KE, CA, NH and BR it's becoming increasingly difficult for the airlines to maintain load factors that are profitable. This could work in Austin's favor. Just a thought.

KE IAH-ICN SEP 1.0>0.7 OCT 1.0>0.7 NOV 1.0>0.7 DEC 1.0>0.7 JAN 1.0>0.7 FEB 1.0>0.7 MAR 1.0>0.7

BTW the new checkpoint opening has been delayed indefinitely. They are having problems with the flooring system and are working on finding a solution.
Probably just cycle the aircraft less , or go saturate another big market like Denver.

I read in an article that the load factor of European flights from DFW has decreased due to the added nonstops to the Persian gulf (less reason to connect through London or Frankfurt, basically). Not sure if you can use that fact for anything in this case.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 10:17 PM

[q

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
When did KE begin service to Denver?
Nah, I was just making up a suggestion for what korean air could possibly do. I'm not sure if Denver would fare well with another Asian route. Best if it were a Star Alliance airline, but anyways BOT.

Nothing new about ABIA for a while. All I know is Frontier and Allegiant (I think) want to expand here in the winter, as mentioned in the South Terminal article. What kinds of routes could they serve? A nonstop to Eagle Vail would bring a lot of ski trip folks on that route (although I'm not sure if bag fees would discourage).

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/tr...ustin-airport/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
Nah, I was just making up a suggestion for what korean air could possibly do. I'm not sure if Denver would fare well with another Asian route. Best if it were a Star Alliance airline, but anyways BOT.

Nothing new about ABIA for a while. All I know is Frontier and Allegiant (I think) want to expand here in the winter, as mentioned in the South Terminal article. What kinds of routes could they serve? A nonstop to Eagle Vail would bring a lot of ski trip folks on that route (although I'm not sure if bag fees would discourage).

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/tr...ustin-airport/
The KE North American VP was interviewed about two weeks ago, and he indicated that there were no plans at present to go into smaller US markets with direct flights.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...--787-9-223844

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:10 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Let's face it...there is no way in the current environment that AUS will ever become a Hub. Thus, it is doomed to be mostly an O&D airport forever (possibly).

However, that does not mean that it cannot grow into a major air service center. Look at MCO and TPA as simple examples.

I know...MCO is a stretch. But, it is an O&D airport! Extremely few transfer at MCO!

Since legacy airlines are no longer creating new hubs, airports like AUS and SAT have to work harder for new services. At this point, AUS seems to have the better opportunity to grow (between the two in central Texas).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Let's face it...there is no way in the current environment that AUS will ever become a Hub. Thus, it is doomed to be mostly an O&D airport forever (possibly).

However, that does not mean that it cannot grow into a major air service center. Look at MCO and TPA as simple examples.

I know...MCO is a stretch. But, it is an O&D airport! Extremely few transfer at MCO!

Since legacy airlines are no longer creating new hubs, airports like AUS and SAT have to work harder for new services. At this point, AUS seems to have the better opportunity to grow (between the two in central Texas).
With AA and UA under 200 miles from Austin, there would have to be a new airline starting service, but with all the mergers and whatnot, it's unlikely Austin will become a giant hub like DFW or IAH.

However, at the moment the big three only fly out of AUS into their hubs (AA won't fly between two nonhubs), meaning those airlines will only serve Austin into bigger airports. Airlines such as Southwest (and recently Frontier) fly where there is demand, regardless if the route is between two non-hubs (though Southwest has no real "hubs" anyways). It doesn't mean the big three won't ever fly routes between non-hubs. I found an article somewhere about Austin starting Delta Connection service to Kansas City (route terminated), which wasn't ever a base for Delta last I checked. I also think AA flew to Seattle once.

There are basically two possibilities; Austin will serve as a hub for a smaller airline (think of Virgin or Midwest (defunct)), and/or become a focus city for a major airline if said airlines want to compete on routes that don't connect Austin with one of their bases. I believe Boston Logan is a good example; Delta has a size-able presence there to a dozen cities, yet Boston isn't considered a "hub" for Delta, at least relative to say, JFK or Atlanta.

The same could happen for SAT as well, although not as soon as AUS.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 4:48 PM

e

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:56 PM

By my calculations, BA had a load factor of 87%. On the other hand, our other international carrier Jazz only has a 34% load factor. I couldn't find the seat configuration of their CRJ9s, but assuming it's a bit longer than the CRJ7, the load factor should be around 30%. I wonder why they used a bigger jet in the end...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 10:13 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Red face

Going by the percentage numbers the big winners are Virgin, Frontier, and Allegiant. I'd expect that by the end of the summer we will hear about new routes being added at least by two of the three if not all three.

Would others agree with me in that assessment?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Going by the percentage numbers the big winners are Virgin, Frontier, and Allegiant. I'd expect that by the end of the summer we will hear about new routes being added at least by two of the three if not all three.

Would others agree with me in that assessment?
Those numbers are impressive. These are numbers relative to last May correct?

Virgin's routes to DAL sure beefed up their passenger numbers.

Would a 3 gate terminal suffice for Allegiant and Frontier expansion though?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
By my calculations, BA had a load factor of 87%. On the other hand, our other international carrier Jazz only has a 34% load factor. I couldn't find the seat configuration of their CRJ9s, but assuming it's a bit longer than the CRJ7, the load factor should be around 30%. I wonder why they used a bigger jet in the end...
75 seats. 10 Business, 65 Economy. Jazz doesn't fly CRJ9s, and according to the AC website they're flying the CRJ7 to Austin.

I'd bet they went with the CRJ7 for these reasons:
  1. It's the only one in the Jazz fleet to get WiFi, which is an incentive
  2. Business is a big revenue generator, so it's logical that considering the demographics of people who travel frequently between Austin and Toronto, that they'd want to use the plane with a business class configuration.

Also, I got an 84.5% load because I figured, it only operated from May 18, so if you take the remaining 13 days with a maximum load of 1950 (basically 975 each way), and the actual load of 1648 [Okay see I'm going to leave this as a testament to my terrible mathematics because I forgot to include the day they started service]

Last edited by Digatisdi; Jul 2, 2015 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
75 seats. 10 Business, 65 Economy.

I'd bet they went with the CRJ7 for these reasons:
  1. It's the only one in the Jazz fleet to get WiFi, which is an incentive
  2. Business is a big revenue generator, so it's logical that considering the demographics of people who travel frequently between Austin and Toronto, that they'd want to use the plane with a business class configuration.
Those are good reasons, but flightaware indicates they've been using the CRJ9 .

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 10:58 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Those are good reasons, but flightaware indicates they've been using the CRJ9 .
I just checked the Air Canada website and it said they're flying a CRJ7, as well as the Wikipedia data on the Jazz fleet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin