HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:27 PM

SEPTA continues to be aggressive on the modernization front!

Sleek, Modern Trolleys Coming to Philly

"Philadelphia has the largest trolley system in the nation, a title it’s held since the 1970s. But the old-school tanks climbing up and down city streets look like relics from our parents’ (or grandparents’) generation. Trolleys along Baltimore Avenue in the Southwest are early-80s Kawasaki models; on Girard Avenue, the trolleys are actually reconditioned from the ‘40s.

In a few years, though, that’s going to change in a big way.

In an interview with Citified, SEPTA’s director of strategic planning and analysis, Byron Comati, said that a massive trolley fleet renovation is on the horizon. “Once the Key system is done, the next biggie that has complications will be trolley modernization,” Comati said. “It’s a transformational project. You do this once in a generation.”

http://www.phillymag.com/citified/20...cl68P0bCHqA.99

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 1:49 PM

Very happy to see this, I can't wait to see what they look like! Now if only we could get all those cars out of their way in West Philly

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

This is awesome news! But it wonder if he meant 90'? Most 6-axle tram/streetcars are around 90' not 80'. I really hope they don't try to reinvent the wheel but go with a proven series like the Bombardier Flexity or another proven articulated design with years of worldwide service.

And while theyre ordering brand new vehicles, I think it's time to get rid of the all white livery. It always looks dirty, and frankly it looks like a transit agency that either just doesn't care or is too cheap to put any imagination into the presentation of their vehicles. I'd love to either see a new paint scheme for the new fleet inspired by older PCCS liveries, but not green! The "gulf oil" or "phase 1" schemes look nice and would look awesome on a sleek new LRV. Or a real departure would be pain them in silver like the old silver PCCs. All blue or all red would also look cool. I do think that the bicentennial scheme should not be completely abandoned for obvious reasons, hello..., Philadelphia...? This is why I don't ever want to see any form of green/cream return, I don't even particularly like them on the 15. I know it's historic but it just doesn't do it for me. Anyways, thoughts?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Mar 19, 2015 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 5:34 PM
Me?!?

An article on the proposed KOP extension:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/lo...ll_it_go_.html

And the official site for it:

http://www.kingofprussiarail.com

SEPTA fights a changing climate's threats to sink it
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...xTbifgS2HvU.99

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 12:00 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
This is awesome news! But it wonder if he meant 90'? Most 6-axle tram/streetcars are around 90' not 80'. I really hope they don't try to reinvent the wheel but go with a proven series like the Bombardier Flexity or another proven articulated design with years of worldwide service.

And while theyre ordering brand new vehicles, I think it's time to get rid of the all white livery. It always looks dirty, and frankly it looks like a transit agency that either just doesn't care or is too cheap to put any imagination into the presentation of their vehicles. I'd love to either see a new paint scheme for the new fleet inspired by older PCCS liveries, but not green! The "gulf oil" or "phase 1" schemes look nice and would look awesome on a sleek new LRV. Or a real departure would be pain them in silver like the old silver PCCs. All blue or all red would also look cool. I do think that the bicentennial scheme should not be completely abandoned for obvious reasons, hello..., Philadelphia...? This is why I don't ever want to see any form of green/cream return, I don't even particularly like them on the 15. I know it's historic but it just doesn't do it for me. Anyways, thoughts?
The color scheme never bothered me much - I always thought that they were maintaining blank canvases for ad wraps anyway.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 1:18 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 9:24 PM

SEPTA King of Prussia Rail expansion
Article about the expansion and a small rendering of what the line would look like.

http://mobile.philly.com/news/local/...&id=297103501&

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I've been hearing those on a few buses running out of Southern....

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:30 PM

New renderings of 15th street station set to begin Summer 2016:

More renders plans and story here:
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/0...s/#gallery-2-4

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 10:45 PM

SEPTA plans $535 million for new vehicles and construction

Quote:
SEPTA plans to spend $535 million next year to buy new vehicles, replace and repair rail bridges, upgrade train stations and begin overhauling its Center City subway concourse.

The proposed capital budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1 is $37 million, or 6.4 percent, less than the current capital budget, which contained a one-time infusion of $85 million in federal funding.

Among the projected spending is about $160 million earmarked to replace and overhaul vehicles. That will include 13 new locomotives, the first of 525 hybrid buses that will be purchased over five years, and the start of the process of procuring about 45 bi-level rail cars to increase capacity on the Regional Rail lines.

About $48 million is slated for bridge repair and replacement, $34 million for communications, signal systems and other technology upgrades, $47 million for stations, bus loops and parking lots, $45 million for the ongoing installation of the new "smart-card" fare system, $20 million for cameras and other security upgrades, and $18 million for power substations.

Public hearings on the capital budget will be held April 28, at 11:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. at SEPTA headquarters at 1234 Market St.

The proposed budget will be available on SEPTA's website at www.septa.org/reports.pnussbaum@phillynews.com

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...TAPIVQZwt3F.99

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 11:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

What about the new trolleys?

As for the bi level coaches, are they talking about EMU's or loco hauled units?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 4:42 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:

Looks like locomotive hauled trains...they don't really need the locomotives for anything else.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:

The trolleys will most likely be in the 2017 capital budget since they still have to go through the bidding process.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:28 PM

What the Philadelphia subway system should look like, as envisioned by me for an honors thesis that I am currently working on involving Philadelphia's transportation history and future.

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/K1g74aM4dg

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 9:03 PM

PIDC charts a course for BSL extension to the Navy Yard
http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/...n-to-navy-yard

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:26 PM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Wow. That's the best SEPTA map I've ever seen. I really wish this was in every SEPTA, PATCO, and South Jersey NJ Transit station. It shows how thinks hook up so nicely, which continues to be a huge problem with our regional transit network. This is clear, easy to read, and straightforward.

Last edited by josef; Apr 3, 2015 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:25 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
The thing I love most about this map is it I saw it for some foreign city I'd be thinking "damn, I'm jealous of all the public transportation they have there!"

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 8:14 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Three transit authorities operating different services in three states with varying fare structures amongst them all.

I have never been too sure about how useful the consolidated map is. There are very few rail to rail transfer points in Greater Philadelphia and almost all of them require crossing a fare line. It has to be more practical to operate with a consolidated map than to issue ones specifically for RR, city subway/trolley and such but it the potential visual confusion for riders I think is real. RR doesn't operate like large subway systems elsewhere in the world - infrequent riders only need to know how to get from their outlying station into central Philadelphia and perhaps make one connection.

Firstly, it may be wise for SEPTA, NJT and PATCO to together consider creating a consolidated regional map of their respective rail services or some interested additional party. Two maps could work, one focusing solely on anything and everything regional and rail-based coming into the city from the suburbs and all but graying out the city save for the few transfer points and the other strictly subway and city trolley also prominently noting transfer points to connecting regional services. The actual use that I think riders get from such a clunky map is minimal. Some items get left out such express/A&B service on both subway lines.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 3:57 PM

I'm all for a combined map like that above even though it does create the false impression of an integrated user-friendly European-style transit network.

The solution to the confusion that might create is simply to put a prominent disclaimer on the map stating something along the lines of "WARNING - no attempt has been made to coordinate transfers between rapid transit, regional rail, and non-SEPTA transit agency operations. Transfers at such points may involve lengthy wait times, and will require purchase of new fares . . . But someday we'll get our act together".

But a consolidated map along the lines above is partly informational, partly aspirational. It serves as a constant reminder of what should be given the great infrastructure and potential for useful transfer points that we have but can't take advantage of given budget, labor work rule, and administrative - but not physical - constraints

Regarding the MFL A and B lines, am I the only person who feels that they are a really silly and unnecessary complication? I could see the need for them if MFL was longer or had splits, but it's such a short, simple line why bother? I feel like it's a legacy from when planners had bigger ideas for the system, but now it's kind of meaningless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation