HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4101  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 10:43 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 3,699
Vancouver

All photos by Ryan Hills (except where otherwise stated):



2


9


25


13


20


h

Photo by jlee31180: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlee90...ream/lightbox/

15


23


10


6


14


8


1


e

Photo by wally barber: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126093...n/photostream/

c

Photo by Jianwei Yang: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jianwe...n/photostream/

5


11


12


b


m

Photo by Leo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/760941...n/photostream/

19


4


17


22


d

Photo by Shawn Haines: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnh...7630330828378/

j

Photo by Nattawot Juttiwattananon: https://www.flickr.com/photos/street...7632839374415/

k

Photo by kissarissa: https://www.flickr.com/photos/risssa...n/photostream/

f

Photo by jlee31180: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlee90...n/photostream/


Photo by Elmar: https://www.flickr.com/photos/711445...n/photostream/

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4102  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:50 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,173
I had to run to the Towers, out in the West End, so took a few pictures there and on my way.

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 8, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4103  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 4:32 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colebrook, NH (as well as QC & FL)
Posts: 25,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
REALLY nice streetscape!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4104  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 11:32 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,173
Thanks, Lio.

*****

Not mine, but a couple of aerial or drone photos.

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4105  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:23 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,652
Some great sets. Why are Chinatowns always so gritty and rundown? They must have BIA'S set up to take care of things like beautification and maintenance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4106  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:46 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,023
Awesome aerial shots ! Why is there nothing built on the right of that picture ? It's so close of Downtown.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlieg23/11956777043/
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000

Last edited by FrAnKs; Mar 9, 2015 at 1:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4107  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:57 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Why are Chinatowns always so gritty and rundown?
Interesting question...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4108  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:58 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,173
That's Shea Heights. It used to be a slum, a libertarian squatter's paradise. In the 1950s the federal government forced St. John's to either demolish it or provide it with services (running water, etc.). The city, unfortunately, chose the latter.

There's been some new development there since... but until last year or the year before it was at an elevation where development was prohibited by St. John's. (190th line; not sure what elevation that works out to). It's WAY higher than downtown, though the angle of this shot doesn't really show it.

Now that development is allowed at that height, you'll probably see it fill in a bit.

Also, it's geographically close to downtown but annoying to get there because you have to take this winding, switchback road back to the valley floor and then head downtown.

And, finally, given its background, it has a horrible reputation. People used to joke they'd take off their hubcabs before driving through Shea Heights or they'd be stolen.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4109  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 1:53 AM
ozonemania ozonemania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Some great sets. Why are Chinatowns always so gritty and rundown? They must have BIA'S set up to take care of things like beautification and maintenance.
Chinatowns are always gritty and rundown because historically it's only the worst parts of the city that Chinese were allowed to live or own property.

In the case of the photo set above, the pictures from Vancouver's Chinatown and the adjoining DTES are intermixed. They are very distinct neighbourhoods with different demographics and histories, albeit with some overlap.

But indeed Vancouver's Chinatown is long past its heyday. Mostly due to the rise of Richmond and the integration of ethnic Chinese in every neighbourhood in the Metro.

Except for maybe White Rock, that's why ssiguy lives there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4111  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 4:09 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 13,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Some great sets. Why are Chinatowns always so gritty and rundown? They must have BIA'S set up to take care of things like beautification and maintenance.
Richmond is pretty clean, Metrowotwn is nice, south van is okay, Shaughnessy is fantastic!

In all honesty China town in Victoria is relatively nice. Some of the gritty look also probably comes from the simple fact that such historical Chinatowns are also quite old neighborhoods. There are actually some really nice and clean parts of Vancouver's historical Chinatown as well. It is actually quite a varied neighborhood (which has a lot to do with the variety of neighboring neighborhoods...
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4112  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 10:05 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 3,699
Vancouver


Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 9, 2015 at 2:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4113  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 9:47 PM
advance62's Avatar
advance62 advance62 is offline
ION coming 2017
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 283
from Oct

Absolute Mississauga by Matt M S, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4114  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 9:49 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,173
March 9, 2015

Video Link


March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

March 9, 2015 by Rabbittownie, on Flickr
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4115  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 10:37 PM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,994
Those rainy, neon-hued Vancouver nightscapes on the last page were crazy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4116  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:37 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Chinatowns are always gritty and rundown because historically it's only the worst parts of the city that Chinese were allowed to live or own property.
Very diplomatic/ PC response. Alas it's not 1890 anymore, so I'm not sure your argument flies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4117  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:00 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 16,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Very diplomatic/ PC response. Alas it's not 1890 anymore, so I'm not sure your argument flies.
I'm sure he's never been to Markham....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4118  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 3:21 AM
333609543's Avatar
333609543 333609543 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 275
Few pictures from around Toronto's CBD (Mar 09 and Feb 28)

Victoria & Richmond


CBD from Church & Richmond


CBD from Church & Queen


Toronto Police Officers on horses at Dundas Square


2015 Pan Am Games live countdown at Nathan Phillips Square


Nathan Phillips Square skating rink & City Hall


Urban canyon showing 95 Wellington and Royal York Hotel


Commerce Court North Interior (Ground Floor)



Commerce Court North (South Façade)


Southcore Delta Centre from a GO Train (Feb/28/2015)


25 Don Mills TTC Bus during a "snowstorm" (Feb/01/2015)

All by me
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4119  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:19 AM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Human Scale
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 925
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4120  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:27 AM
dleung dleung is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Chinatowns are always gritty and rundown because historically it's only the worst parts of the city that Chinese were allowed to live or own property.

In the case of the photo set above, the pictures from Vancouver's Chinatown and the adjoining DTES are intermixed. They are very distinct neighbourhoods with different demographics and histories, albeit with some overlap.

But indeed Vancouver's Chinatown is long past its heyday. Mostly due to the rise of Richmond and the integration of ethnic Chinese in every neighbourhood in the Metro.

Except for maybe White Rock, that's why ssiguy lives there.
lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.