HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 7:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Maybe 3WTC?

So my guess: 3WTC, Verre, 111W, Nordtrom and then 30HY.
3 is of a different style, but it would be in the running if we include everything. I'm sure it could win altogether.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 3:46 PM
don't *meddle*...

Superb pano ...

By Francois Veilleux, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

2014 Adds A San Francisco’s Worth of Skyscrapers and 44,825 Units to NYC’s Development Pipeline

================================
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...5&postcount=99
Full Article: http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/01/the...-pipeline.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:58 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Very nice info! Love how the floor count jumped in all boroughs, especially in Queens (LIC!?). Manhattan is approaching 20!

Btw I just read your answer in the SF thread ... man I'm sloppy. University is keeping me pretty busy for now, unfortunately. But I'm still planning on doing that Shenzhen list.
Also, it would be really great to start a new NY highrise thread. It's a lot of work though ... :-/

EDIT: in the next couple of weeks I'll start to integrate Jersey City projects (200m+) into this thread. An emerging city skyline just across the river can't be ignored.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The averages for Queens are Brooklyn are accurate. Considering most of these new permits are literally within the 6-7 floor range. Higher floor counts, usually 10-12 helped lift the average. Along with 6 floors, the 8 floor range is also a popular one.

Whats amazing is that those units are just for 2014, and 2015 looks like theres no stop to the high amount of permit applications per day. 2014 definitely witnessed some incredible revelations in the supertall game. Q1 will see Nordstrom renderings.

The highrise count of the city is over 6000 now if we consider 12 floors/100 feet or higher. Factor in the Gold Coast, and the nearby satellites, and its in the range of 6300. (2nd in the world, after Hong Kong))

Close to 300 high rises under construction and proposed. Many starting up q1 and q2 of 2015.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:15 PM

A 95-storey tower porposal at 99 Hudson St in Jersey City, falling 50 feet short of supertall status, is expected to be approved by the Planning Board tonight. Hopefully this is first of many towers of similar heights to come and maybe 2015 will bring one above 1000 ft.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:05 AM

I recently made the mistake of viewing the SSP diagram for Yujiapu (Tianjin), China. They appear to have several buildings under construction/proposed that exceed 550 meters. To add to this, I'm reading that this new "city" is to become a Manhattan replica. I am quite distraught over these findings and am reaching out in desperation to anybody who feels qualified enough to help me with gathering the following information:

-will these buildings in China be actually built, at least to the height I've mentioned?
-will NYC/JC skyline ever be able to compete with these heights?

the article:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/fe...eplica-n242846

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 1:53 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ I wouldn't worry. Tianjin is actually cooling down and many projects are on hold. The city has 1 completed supertall, 1 has T/O, and 3 are U/C. Rose Rock is on hold btw.
Compare those numbers with New York, and you'll get your answer. Only Dubai and Shenzhen can contend with NYC.

PS: and it's Chongqing which looks like Manhattan (due to its topography).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 2:17 PM

^Thanks Hunser. ..much appreciated.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 2:26 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
I recently made the mistake of viewing the SSP diagram for Yujiapu (Tianjin), China. They appear to have several buildings under construction/proposed that exceed 550 meters. To add to this, I'm reading that this new "city" is to become a Manhattan replica. I am quite distraught over these findings and am reaching out in desperation to anybody who feels qualified enough to help me with gathering the following information:

-will these buildings in China be actually built, at least to the height I've mentioned?
-will NYC/JC skyline ever be able to compete with these heights?

the article:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/fe...eplica-n242846
One only has to look at where a lot of the Chinese investment is heading these days, too.

I think some of the low hanging fruit has been picked, so it will cool down from what it was in the last decade.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:57 PM
don't *meddle*...

I'll be away (vacation) and busy (exams) for 3 weeks. Please feel free to post any major news regarding New York skyscrapers (200m+) and especially info on the supertall front.

Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New York has two supertalls that make the list.

=============================

World’s Longest Commutes, by Elevator

Quote:
Luxury high-rises are all the rage, with colossal apartment towers sprouting across the globe. But while living a quarter of a mile in the sky is no doubt thrilling, the commute downstairs can be a doozy.

Just how far do residents of these super-tall towers travel every year? Spread Sheet set out to measure the vertical commute.

Upon completion in 2016, Mumbai’s World One tower will be the tallest purely residential building in the world, topping out at 1,450 feet, according to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, a nonprofit that tracks the official heights of tall buildings.

Assuming one trip down and up each day, a top-floor dweller would cover around 200 miles a year in elevator travel. Make that two trips a day (say, you forgot to buy milk) and you’re up to 400 miles a year, slightly longer than the drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

The resident on the top floor of 1,397-foot-tall 432 Park Avenue in Manhattan making two round-trips a day would log around 356 elevator miles each year—the equivalent of two trips out to the Hamptons and back. Someone living in a third-floor walk-up in Midtown Manhattan, on the other hand, does around 5.5 miles a year—not even enough to get through Queens.

To keep trips as quick as possible, many towers use high-speed elevators, which can travel at up 2,000 feet a minute. These elevators use high-tech materials like polyurethane-coated belts and advanced alloys in their braking systems, but the main difference is size, says Jim Fortune, principal at elevator consultancy Fortune Shepler Saling, which has worked on super high-rises, including Dubai’s Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building at 2,722 feet. A motor driving a typical 500-foot-a-minute elevator can fit in about 27 cubic feet, he says. On the other hand, a high-speed motor like those in a super tower takes up about half a room.
=================================
http://www.wsj.com/articles/worlds-l...tor-1421949350

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some Economic News:

Manhattan investment sales market hits record high

Quote:
The Manhattan commercial investment sales market had a rollicking 2014, with 5,197 properties trading hands, beating the previous record of 5,018 in 2007, according to a year-end report released today by Cushman & Wakefield.

“2014 was the best investment sales market we have seen in the past 30 years,” said Bob Knakal, chairman of New York investment sales for Cushman. “More properties were sold in the city than ever before.” Knakal pointed out that the dollar volume surged 45 percent to $55.8 billion, which was coupled with a 20 percent appreciation in value citywide. “It was truly a spectacular year!”

However, though 2014 smashed the record for number of investment properties sold, it failed to beat the dollar volume record, with $55.8 billion coming in second to 2007’s $62.2 billion. That was the year that Harry Macklowe paid $7 billion for the Equity Office portfolio.

Sales activity in Brooklyn, Queens, Northern Manhattan and the Bronx exceeded $15.1 billion in 2014, according to the report, surpassing the previous peak for the outer boroughs by a whopping $5 billion. “We expect this record level of dollar volume to continue and possibly be exceeded in 2015,” said Adrian Mercado, Cushman’s vice president of research.

Manhattan led the market with $41 billion in investment sales, and Brooklyn increased its sales 67 percent over 2013 with $6.4 billion.

Retail prices increased across every borough except the Bronx, with price-per-square-foot going up 34 percent in Manhattan, 27% in Northern Manhattan, 18 percent in Brooklyn, and 7 percent in Queens.

The dearth of available land combined with strong demand drove price per buildable square foot up 33 percent citywide, with Manhattan finishing the year at $579 per buildable square foot, the report states.
==========================
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/01/....BsquHrtz.dpuf
==========================

Also just for the record, Tower Verre is now under construction, and no longer in the proposal section.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 1:44 PM
don't *meddle*...

My vacation is over. I updated the first page:
35 HY --> 1,009ft (308m) and 72 floors
425 PA --> 893ft (272m)
Tower Verre aka 53W53 --> U/C.

I'll be online here and there in the next two weeks (exams) to keep the this thread updated.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 2:25 AM
don't *meddle*...

Fun fact: with Verre U/C, One57 - a supertall(!) - has officially dropped out of the top 10 tallest buildings in NYC (completed and U/C).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 2:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

And... once the ones in demo start up and are finished, it will be the 17th tallest. Assuming just the ones that are in demo finish and time remains frozen.

Very possible that it may be the 20th tallest when more supertalls rise out of the fabric of time.

I expect peoples reactions to this statistic to go like this:

Or at least the state of catatonia that will result after a helicopter tour in 2020.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 2:39 AM
don't *meddle*...

^ Haha, yeah it's really crazy when you think about it. A supertall building being "degraded" to "another" building ...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 10:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Great list by KillerZavatar: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1951785979

Also: 30 Park Place has topped out!

Earthcam

Another solid 900 footer for New York! I'll update the first page.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 10:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Very nice. I really like that list.

3 supertall capitals:

1) Dubai
2) NYC
3) Shenzhen

Chicago being the top 10 too. NYC should eclipse Shenzhen overtime. Easily by 2020. IDK about Dubai though unless all the proposals are built.

I'm a stats lover, and I'd love to see a list for 100m to 200m and one from 200-299 for all of those cities for 2016 onwards. Lots of work though.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 11:02 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Very nice. I really like that list.

3 supertall capitals:

1) Dubai
2) NYC
3) Shenzhen

Chicago being the top 10 too. NYC should eclipse Shenzhen overtime. Easily by 2020. IDK about Dubai though unless all the proposals are built.

I'm a stats lover, and I'd love to see a list for 100m to 200m and one from 200-299 for all of those cities for 2016 onwards. Lots of work though.
Me too, I'm a sucker for lists haha. Hence the supertall thread ...
It really is a lot of work. Just keeping an eye on NYC is hard enough, if not impossible (<300').

As for the supertall capital, I believe Dubai will stay ahead at least till ~2025. Shenzhen and New York will fight for the second spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture