HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 10:38 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post

As far as I know, the height restriction was made to keep clear the views of the St-Lawrence from the Mont-Royal.
That can't be the reason as Montreal's 4-5 tallest all block views of the river from Mont Royal.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 8:40 AM

I hope Stanteck in Edmonton gets built... after a few mild design changes!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 8:45 AM
Community Guy

^It will have some tweaking and it is moving forward.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:30 AM

I meant more like a future skyline render of downtown that includes all of the approved/under construction (and possibly including the proposed) towers, not just Stantec.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:36 AM
ARTchitecture

Nothing yet. Stantec is a very recent proposal, and it takes time to make future renders. However, I am not sure if I have ever seen a full future render of Edmonton, other than just coloured boxes indicating whether they are proposed or UC, nothing with detailed renders of the towers in the photo though, I think.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:44 AM

Will Stantec be the tallest building in Canada outside Toronto and Brookfield Place? Or are there taller U/Cs out there? I'm pretty new to this forum (was inactive for about two years) so I'm out of the loop.

According to this Journal article it's supposed to be 227 metres. It's pretty much guaranteed at this point that the tower is being built, I mean there was even a big press conference with Don Iveson.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Stant...480/story.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:59 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Will Stantec be the tallest building in Canada outside Toronto and Brookfield Place? Or are there taller U/Cs out there? I'm pretty new to this forum (was inactive for about two years) so I'm out of the loop.

According to this Journal article it's supposed to be 227 metres. It's pretty much guaranteed at this point that the tower is being built, I mean there was even a big press conference with Don Iveson.

Well, at 227m it'll also be shorter than the Bow.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:02 AM

Ah, you're right. Misread my own posted article.

Still more floors though

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:07 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post

Edmonton will be the 3rd tallest city in the country I know about the press conference, I watched it live streaming. It will go ahead, but don't count on a height increase, other than when the details of the spire are revealed. Projects like this (mixed use) unfortunately usually get scaled down rather than up. This one is probably solid though.

At 227 meters, Stantec Tower will be the 11th tallest building in the country (roof height scale). Still shorter than Brookfield Place and The Bow, but taller than Telus Sky and Toronto's Harbour Plaza West.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Nothing yet. Stantec is a very recent proposal, and it takes time to make future renders. However, I am not sure if I have ever seen a full future render of Edmonton, other than just coloured boxes indicating whether they are proposed or UC, nothing with detailed renders of the towers in the photo though, I think.
Edmonton doesn't have a CtrlAltDel

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:17 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Edmonton doesn't have a CtrlAltDel
Yes we are extremely lucky to have him on this forum for our city. Just as lucky as Toronto is to have Koops and Insternamehere, and Vancouver to have Dleung. Most cities (inside and outside of the Canada forum) aren't so fortunate.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:21 AM

Is it a coincidence that 227 metres is half a metre taller than Montreal's tallst, Rene Levesque?

To illustrate how big a deal this is for Edmonton...we don't currently have one in the top 90 in the country....there are taller buildings in Niagara Falls, Mississauga and Burnaby than there are here.

They'll really need to fill in the skyline then, because otherwise Stantec will make Edmonton look ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:39 AM

I'm pretty sure height has not been confirmed yet. On Aug 26 the Journal reported 227m and Stantec's press release says 224 http://www.stantec.com/about-us/news...il-design.html

but I recall the word being that the design had not been finalized, particularly the spire. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to surpass the Bow just for bragging rights (yes Brookfield will be taller, but passing the Bow would be a pretty big statement considering how significant it was for Calgary when it got built).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:50 AM

Hopefully this sparks a high-rise boom in Edmonton.

It's almost like cheating though, we missed basically two generations of high-rise booms and are jumping all the way to 200+ metres with Stantec when we don't even have a building of 40 floors yet.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:05 AM
Back from the dead

It seems that Edmonton is already enjoying something of a highrise boom. I've seen more residential highrises proposed and under construction in the last 5 years than any single time since I've been visiting these forums (must be going on over 10 years now) While it's true that a lot of them are residential there's still nothing wrong with that. Besides, the truth is that Calgary is the pens and paper side of the oil industry while Edmonton is where the work gets done (you all know what I mean so don't go making this out to be some sort of Calgary-bashing statement because it's not)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 8:04 AM
ARTchitecture

I don't think anyone would construe that as a Calgary-bashing statement. Edmonton is the blue collar major city of Alberta, and Calgary is the white collar major city of Alberta, it's a pretty well-known/widely-accepted dynamic.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 9:12 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Edmonton will be the 3rd tallest city in the country I know about the press conference, I watched it live streaming. It will go ahead, but don't count on a height increase, other than when the details of the spire are revealed. Projects like this (mixed use) unfortunately usually get scaled down rather than up. This one is probably solid though.

At 227 meters, Stantec Tower will be the 11th tallest building in the country (roof height scale). Still shorter than Brookfield Place and The Bow, but taller than Telus Sky and Toronto's Harbour Plaza West.
Actually 13th, tied with TD Canada Trust at roof height at 227 meters. That is of course assuming the 227 meters is the top of Stantec's roof and not the little 5-10 meter spire on top which would push it up or down the list accordingly.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That can't be the reason as Montreal's 4-5 tallest all block views of the river from Mont Royal.
Oh I know. It's a stupid reason.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:38 AM

With 45 & 141 Bay:

Sept 2014 - Union Station Bus Terminal by Metrolinx, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:41 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
With 45 & 141 Bay:

Sept 2014 - Union Station Bus Terminal by Metrolinx, on Flickr
Beauty!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada