HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:07 PM

Tesla to Nevada

Tesla is going to Nevada. I sense a collective shrug about this - they are an expensive child. Moving on...

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pre...ry-gigafactory

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsuofa View Post
"There's a lot of concern about that and not just because visually it's very different, but because we're not convinced there's anything remotely like the kind of infrastructure we need to support this," said Diana Lett with the Feldman Neighborhood's Association
Does this make sense to anybody? Is he concerned about transportation infrastructure? It sounds like hes just making up concerns to make up concerns. The only thing I can think of is parking which a magical thing called a parking garage would solve.
I don't think this is the only infrastructure they mean. I'm sure they mean transportation, as this is already a busy intersection. That being said, I don't by it. It's right by the eastern end of the streetcar line and I think that area can handle more traffic.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdd View Post
Tesla is going to Nevada. I sense a collective shrug about this - they are an expensive child. Moving on...

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pre...ry-gigafactory
Collective shrug? I think this would have been a great addition in Tucson. Think of the high-paying jobs this would have created. This means more tax dollars and the money paid these new workers ripples through the economy creating more jobs elsewhere. Plus, the hope was this would help create a bigger and better hi-tech sector in Tucson which could get other such type employers here.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
The development package for the AC was submitted on Tuesday. From the first page:
So is it 7 or 8 stories??? This says 7 AND 8??? The drawing on the left says 7 stories, the drawing in the right says 8 which is it?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
So is it 7 or 8 stories??? This says 7 AND 8??? The drawing on the left says 7 stories, the drawing in the right says 8 which is it?
I'm guessing there's some confusing math involved with the parking levels. IIRC, one of the drawings refers to a half floor in the garage.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Collective shrug? I think this would have been a great addition in Tucson. Think of the high-paying jobs this would have created. This means more tax dollars and the money paid these new workers ripples through the economy creating more jobs elsewhere. Plus, the hope was this would help create a bigger and better hi-tech sector in Tucson which could get other such type employers here.
That's certainly the truth, but I was pointing out that NOT getting this deal has not lead to endless hand wringing and self-whipping. Nevada gave a lot of incentives and the local feeding frenzy seemed to calm down to responsible levels before the announcement. Nevada gave $200,000 in incentives per job - we would have had a hard time with that as a community, I think.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdd View Post
That's certainly the truth, but I was pointing out that NOT getting this deal has not lead to endless hand wringing and self-whipping. Nevada gave a lot of incentives and the local feeding frenzy seemed to calm down to responsible levels before the announcement. Nevada gave $200,000 in incentives per job - we would have had a hard time with that as a community, I think.
Did you read the Daily Star today? There were plenty of letters belittling Tucson's chances in the first place. I think the difference between this and the Grand Canyon University thing was that most people saw that as Tucson's to lose, where as most people saw this as a giant coup if Tucson could pull it off.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:08 AM

I agree I don't think many Tucsonan's even saw this as a real possibility when in reality Tucson fit much of the criteria Tesla was looking for. I sure would love to see their final 3 list or something like that to see if we were really that close or if it was just a dream like many thought

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:02 PM

Too, it appears it was more of a "state" thing than a "city" or "regional" effort. Other than the fact that Nevada threw the farm and cow at Tesla...perhaps Arizona had waaaay too many sites thrown at Tesla instead of a more focused individual site that Arizona could really support and provide all-out incentives. Just a thought.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:09 PM

Nevada wants future Interstate 11 to reach I-80

AZ Daily Star Article
I like this quote: "I’m not shy. I want to go after everything we can,” Sandoval said. “I don’t want to be held back by Arizona."

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:14 PM

Losing bidder for Rio Nuevo project protests competitor's selection

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 11:28 PM

Don't have an article since it's just from a source at the city, but the streetcar ridership numbers are better than expected. Averaging 6000/day on weekends, and yesterday had 5000-- on a Tuesday. That matches my anecdotal observations they're very full at the lunchhour going both EB/WB on University. Glad to see it being so successful, I guess we'll see if it keeps up after the free UPass expires on the 15th.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post
Don't have an article since it's just from a source at the city, but the streetcar ridership numbers are better than expected. Averaging 6000/day on weekends, and yesterday had 5000-- on a Tuesday. That matches my anecdotal observations they're very full at the lunchhour going both EB/WB on University. Glad to see it being so successful, I guess we'll see if it keeps up after the free UPass expires on the 15th.
When I drive home for lunch and after work down Park, it's usually packed. Also, last night, I drove down Broadway at about 8PM and there were a bunch of people waiting at the station at 6th Avenue. Significant ridership at that time mid-week is promising.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:31 PM

I think that it is great that your ridership has been strong out of the gate. The same thing happened when the Metro light rail opened here in Phoenix. The naysayers of the project said the was just from the initial curiosity factor, and that it would ridership would end up dismal as they had originally projected. But it hasn't, as I understand it we are way above initial projections this far into the operation. I can only imagine that you will be also. I think its time has come and people are on board for the total urban experience. That's just my two cents...best of luck, can't wait to get down and ride it!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 4:03 PM

AC Marriot Deal Signed

Hope to see some dirt flying pretty soon...

ARTICLE

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 11:32 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Guadalajara Mexican Grill has a liquor license application in the council meeting tonight for the location of the old TGI Friday's on Broadway. Anyone seen any movement/reno at that location recently?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:58 AM

More protected bike lanes, downtown bike share possibly on their way

Living Streets Alliance is pushing the city to add protected bike lanes on Church Street downtown as part of a road diet.

The city has also hired a firm to see if a downtown bike share program is feasible.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
Guadalajara Mexican Grill has a liquor license application in the council meeting tonight for the location of the old TGI Friday's on Broadway. Anyone seen any movement/reno at that location recently?
Saw the license notice up last week but it's still a dump right now. In other potential restaurant news, demo is occurring in the old Cuvee space across from Whole Foods on Speedway, but no business name is listed on the permits at this point.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:17 AM

As far as the signing of the agreement with Rio Nuevo and Stiteler is that the last of the hurdles that need to be jumped as far as financing and anything else needed from the city? If so should we expect development in the relative future?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
AZ Daily Star Article
I like this quote: "I’m not shy. I want to go after everything we can,” Sandoval said. “I don’t want to be held back by Arizona."
Sorry, man. I don't see any news article. Can you give me a right one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest