HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawdycav View Post
I agree with summersm. This isn't just about green space, it's about connection and knitting together the urban fabric from its current fragmented form.

This is also about thinking on a more macro level than block-by-block or neighborhood by neighborhood. Once you start talking about linking the viaduct park to the parkway to Fairmount Park (and by consequence all the diverse neighborhoods along its path), you create a truly powerful and navigable urban experience.

It doesnt take a ton of creativity to see what a unique urban experience this cap could create. It just takes a world class city mindset and commitment to seeing past lot-by-lot development.
Agree 100%.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 7:36 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

8/24/14

Mildred Court, Bella Vista

Renderings:

Bridgeview, Columbus Blvd/Swanson St

Rendering:

410 at Society Hill (Newmarket)

Rendering:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I don't think we are in any danger of that anytime soon. CC is generally ok on this front, but the tree cover on some streets in other areas -- and even in some center city areas -- is laughable. I also don't think any of the existing green areas detract from the urban nature of Philly. I, for one, would like to see more grassy areas in addition to cement. Beyond just an increase in tree cover. Green and tall buildings is the perfect combination. Nothing feels like a cow pasture with [well-designed] skyscrapers.
I definitely, 100% agree with "...but the tree cover on some streets in other areas -- and even in some center city areas -- is laughable". Walk at mid-day up 9th Street between Filbert and Race Street. It's as bright and sun-parched, and incredibly unpleasant (at least on my admittedly very photo-sensitive eyes). It's not alone; there are so many blocks with few to no trees, much to the detriment of the city. I'd honestly give up capping any highways to have every block in the city be as well-treed as some blocks in Center City. That to me really affects the urban experience, and not as much weather some grass was planted on top of a highway.

(In case someone brings up Boston, I never really enjoyed the lawns that covered the Big Dig. It might be sacrilege (and it might be different now, we moved in early 2013), but those huge lawns were always so boring-looking to me. I'm sure burying I-93 helped to remove the visual block between downtown and the North End, but it's not like they filled the space in with a dense few blocks of new buildings. The gap in the fabric is still there.)

(On the other hand, look at Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, or Somerville. There are more trees planted in these neighborhoods than most other cities I've been in the entire country, and I think that's far more the reason why people find them so charming and flock to them, not because they buried I-93. (Again, it's important, but I don't think it's the main reason people like the city.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite
Bridgeview, Columbus Blvd/Swanson St
Mmmm, imagine if a light rail line ran in front of this down those tracks...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
I definitely, 100% agree with "...but the tree cover on some streets in other areas -- and even in some center city areas -- is laughable". Walk at mid-day up 9th Street between Filbert and Race Street. It's as bright and sun-parched, and incredibly unpleasant (at least on my admittedly very photo-sensitive eyes). It's not alone; there are so many blocks with few to no trees, much to the detriment of the city. I'd honestly give up capping any highways to have every block in the city be as well-treed as some blocks in Center City. That to me really affects the urban experience, and not as much weather some grass was planted on top of a highway.
Philly has a street tree planting program. If the property owner goes online and requests one the City will plant one for free. Philly has actually been very good about increasing tree cover the last few years.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:30 PM

We do need more trees, but there is an issue of upkeep. CCD, not the city or Fairmount Park Commission, takes care of many of Center City's trees and large planters, but they have finite boundaries. When trees are small they're very easily damaged, and when they're big they can cause a lot of damage (falling limbs, roots heaving sidewalks, etc.).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:34 PM

None of this is a reason not to plant more trees, just something to think about. Pruning, watering, and clean-up for one tree in a dense urban area is insignificant, but it's very expensive when multiplied by hundreds or thousands.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:11 PM

Chestnut Hill development.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...tnut_Hill.html

Little bit of sidebar humor, the NIMBY group protesting this project was called, "Adjacent Neighbors Association." LOL, I mean, what a fantastic NIMBY name!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Little bit of sidebar humor, the NIMBY group protesting this project was called, "Adjacent Neighbors Association." LOL, I mean, what a fantastic NIMBY name!
Kinda redundant, isn't it?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:40 PM

Been looking into some movement on a mysterious new Carl Dranoff project on the Camden waterfront.

https://southjerseyist.wordpress.com...en-waterfront/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Been looking into some movement on a mysterious new Carl Dranoff project on the Camden waterfront.

https://southjerseyist.wordpress.com...en-waterfront/

Carl Dranoff has been trying to get this off of the ground for a while now.

More renderings here:
http://www.dranoffproperties.com/por...pers-crossing/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Carl Dranoff has been trying to get this off of the ground for a while now.

More renderings here:
http://www.dranoffproperties.com/por...pers-crossing/
It's crazy to me they've got all that stuff on their website when it's just in the early planning stages.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
It's crazy to me they've got all that stuff on their website when it's just in the early planning stages.
judging from those renderings, the planning calls for 'no black people.' That is a pretty huge oversight for that location.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
judging from those renderings, the planning calls for 'no black people.' That is a pretty huge oversight for that location.
You're on the wrong page: http://www.dranoffproperties.com/community/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I would like to see it capped from 10th Street to 22nd honestly and we shouldn't settle for any less.

Think, with this section of the Vine Street Expressway capped, it would connect the Ben Franklin Parkway to the future Reading Viaduct Park with continuous green space. One could walk along the Reading Viaduct Park, through Vine Street Parkway, through the Ben Franklin Parkway, through Fairmount Park, through the Wissahickon. Miles upon miles of continuous green space.
Check out this site with a bunch of Mappy's rendering's that supports the Capping of 676: www.Cap676.com

Also, if you support the movement, like the Facebook page ( facebook.com/cap676 )

I think the more we spread the idea of capping 676, the closer to reality it could become.

Last edited by Kfmcshan; Aug 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Heh, well, that's pretty much any of Camden's development of any kind, right? The city leaders and Coopers Ferry don't have a super track record of treating the local community all that well. If you're talking about affordable housing, there's probably no way you can call for any kind of affordable housing from anything new going up in Camden though, right? The surrounding suburban communities have spent the last 50 years paying Camden to take their obligations. There're more affordable units there than anywhere per capita.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:55 PM

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Well that and the existing whole foods around the corner. However it will be nice to have a bigger space for that store.
What are they doing with the former Whole Foods site once this is finished?

It's such an ugly suburban design it would be great if it were demo'd and something a bit more appropriate built in its place...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 11:59 PM

Smaller than most of the developments posted here but does anyone have any idea what in the world is going on with the McIllhenny Mansion? I remember it was reported that Bart Blatstein had purchased the mansion and was demolishing the 20th century rotunda to build a 4 story addition to match the original mansion. I assumed that meant that the original 1850s mansion would be preserved.

I walked by today however and.... well i can't even really describe what is going on there. Luckily I have a picture, although it is sideways.

It's hard to see but this steel structure is actually protruding out of the windows. Is it possible that all of this is a temporary structure to secure the building? If so that seems fascinating. I just hope the original facade isn't altered in any way, I always loved this building.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:00 AM
Show me the blueprints

That looks like a facadectomy about to happen.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:42 AM

Big name developer Bart Blatstein bought the property and is converting it into his personal new residence. The small structure to the right of this building will be demoed to make way for an expansion. This is probably bracing to keep the structure intact during the demo and subsequent renovations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development