HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 2:25 PM

Hollywood in the 1920

I wish there were more clear markers indicating exactly where this photo was taken.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:59 PM

Clue? To Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
I wish there were more clear markers indicating exactly where this photo was taken.

Partial name on the apartment house is adden which may be McCadden, could be on McCadden Pl.. Looking for a McCadden Apt. House in a CD might help. Hills look like above Franklin.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 5:32 PM

Arch Rock and Castle Rock

Up the Coast Highway a bit from the the McClure Tunnel there used to be two famous rock formations.
They got in the way of progress, I guess, and had to "disappear".

http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_fo...ks-of-pch.html

Arch Rock:

Arch Rock was up in Malibu and it was the first to go way back in 1906. One morning it was just gone.
Either a rain storm took it down or (more likely) it was dynamited by a railroad crew to make way for
a rail line which was never completed.

Arch Rock was located at the current site of the Chart House restaurant in Malibu (now closed, I understand).

Google Earth

Castle Rock:

Castle Rock was down the coast a little, near Santa Monica, and survived until 1945. It was knocked down to widen the Coast Highway.

They left a tiny park/viewing area in its place. I think you can only get up there from the beach however.

Google Earth

The whole article (with a bunch more photos) is here:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Up the Coast Highway a bit from the the McClure Tunnel there used to be two famous rock formations.
Nice post, FredH about Arch Rock and Castle Rock. I didn't know about those. I'm wondering if that's where the name of Castle Rock films came from? (Rob Reiner's company, I believe.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Arch Rock was located at the current site of the Chart House restaurant in Malibu (now closed, I understand).
From a January 28 article this year:

According to [Chart House] employees, the seafood-oriented Mastro's will replace Chart House right by Topanga Canyon, which occupies a print pot of beachfront property. [I'm assuming they mean "prime spot."] Mastro's was just recently acquired by Landry's, which owns Chart House, so this all makes sense. Mastro's Ocean Club Malibu is looking to launch in April.

Another search says that Mastro's Ocean Club opened August 7th. Of this month.

An additional search tells me:

Rob Reiner named the company "Castle Rock" in honor of the fictional Maine town that serves as the setting of several stories by Stephen King (which was named after the fictional Castle Rock in Lord of the Flies).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 1:53 AM
I Like Turtles!

A'Haunting We Will Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

1925 - 316 South La Brea (Still here today 2014) http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/4239/rec/52

http://s.lnimg.com/photo/poster_768/...172c938ec3.jpg

Forgive me, BifRayRock. At first I didn't know why you posted a pic of such a 'Plain Jane' survivor. But then I saw the detail shots. WOW! The full shots showed just an ordinary building, but the close-ups showed an amazing amount of detail that was basically lost to the casual observer.

The haunting image of the boy in the window.... Who was he? Did he live a long life? Amazing to think he probably died of old age many years ago.

And what of the photographer, reflected in the window? Was he upset that 'unsightly' posters had been put up in the windows of the building he was commissioned to shoot? Did he even notice the curious boy? The boy obviously saw the photographer. Did these two random people, whose lives crossed for just a few moments a hundred years ago, meet? Did the photographer smile, and wave at the boy? Or did he curse the rapscallion for ruining his shot? Did the presence of the photographer spark an interest for photography in the boy? Or was it all just a fleeting moment between two random people, and nothing more?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:29 AM

I agree Albany_Ny. The reflections in BRR's photograph sent my imagination into over-drive,
especially the image of the little boy peering out of the 2nd story window.

I wonder if he was he kept home from school due to an illness? He seems almost frightened to look out the window at the photographer.
It's all so terribly intriguing.

__

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I agree Albany_Ny. The reflections in BRR's photograph sent my imagination into over-drive,

I wonder if he was he kept home from school due to an illness? He seems almost frightened to look out the window at the photographer.
It's all so terribly intriguing.

__
Makes one wonder about who he was and what became of him.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 11:37 AM

If the boy were still alive, he'd be pushing 100 years old.

He could be a ghost, though, haunting that building, even to the present day.
Who killed him? Why?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 1:26 PM

Not to be confused with its namesake in Glendale (see posts 8718 and 8721), this is the El Miradero at 5424 Franklin Avenue as it looked in 1925.

USC Digital Library

The USC photoset includes these four interior views.

USC Digital Library

Today, the El Miradero is hidden behind a rather large tree. This was the only angle at which I could get a GSV image showing the lattice beside the front door. The base of one of the twisted columns is also visible. Bars have been added to the windows, and it could do with a coat of paint or a good wash, but otherwise the El Miradero looks to have survived in pretty good shape.

GSV

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 3:38 PM

Fantastic find HossC! -Could it look anymore noirish than in that contemporary google-street photo? It looks borderline haunted.
__

Los Angeles area 1940s (note the oil derricks in the distance)

taken by Ed Alinder/www.macrochef.wordpress.com

re: my computer problems.
I'm thinking of ordering this flash drive today.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extrem...gb+extreme+pro

Is it a good choice?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 3:53 PM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Fantastic find HossC! -Could it look anymore noirish than in that contemporary google-street photo? It looks borderline haunted.
__

Is it a good choice?
__
SanDisk is a top brand. Not knowing the size of your current drive, 128GB should allow you to backup most if not all of your files.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 4:28 PM

Downtown LA, color, 1940s

Have we seen this one before? I didn't look familiar to me.
I'm guessing it was taken somewhere near Union Station...?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
__
After looking at that awhile--there is something to the right that, though unreadable, looks lke writing to me and made me feel that what is being looked at is a poster.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:

Los Angeles area 1940s (note the oil derricks in the distance)

taken by Ed Alinder/www.macrochef.wordpress.com
It looks like the address between the people's heads is correct. Kellogg & Hall Motors was at 828 W Anaheim on TErmnl 4-4770. I found them listed in a couple of San Pedro and Wilmington directories from 1946 (such as this one (PDF file)). Today it's just a nondescript parking lot, not that it was much more in 1946!.

Quote:

Is it a good choice?
I originally suggested a flash drive for portability. As Graybeard said, SanDisk is a good brand, but you can get similar spec flash drives for half the price.

As an example of capacity, the image above (Kellogg & Hall) is about 256kb when I saved it. As a rough estimate, you could get four of these to a megabyte, 4,000 to a gigabyte and about half a million similar images on a 128Gb flash drive.

If you don't need maximum portability, you could go with FredH's suggestion of an external hard drive. For the same money you could easily get a 1Tb drive, and you're not far short of a 2Tb drive (roughly 8 and 16 times the size of the propsosed flash drive respectively).

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post

Have we seen this one before? I didn't look familiar to me.
I'm guessing it was taken somewhere near Union Station...?

I feel like I'm doing Tourmaline's job here .

A larger version was previously posted by kznyc2k:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16110

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:44 PM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It looks like the address between the people's heads is correct. Kellogg & Hall Motors was at 828 W Anaheim on TErmnl 4-4770. I found them listed in a couple of San Pedro and Wilmington directories from 1946 (such as this one (PDF file)). Today it's just a nondescript parking lot, not that it was much more in 1946!.

I originally suggested a flash drive for portability. As Graybeard said, SanDisk is a good brand, but you can get similar spec flash drives for half the price.

As an example of capacity, the image above (Kellogg & Hall) is about 256kb when I saved it. As a rough estimate, you could get four of these to a megabyte, 4,000 to a gigabyte and about half a million similar images on a 128Gb flash drive.

If you don't need maximum portability, you could go with FredH's suggestion of an external hard drive. For the same money you could easily get a 1Tb drive, and you're not far short of a 2Tb drive (roughly 8 and 16 times the size of the propsosed flash drive respectively).

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
I agree. For about $80 you can get a 2TB Western Digital My Book USB external drive with embedded backup software. This will allow you to keep it plugged in and schedule daily/weekly or monthly backups of your files or your entire system. Backup software gives you the flexibility to backup files that have been recently added or modified without having to do an entire backup. It can lessen the backup times.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 6:30 PM

When I look at photographs like the ones E_R and MartinTurnbull posted it seems as though if I visited that time I'd spend hours (days) just admiring the automobiles, the styles, the clothes...as well as the buildings. Then I wonder if anyone looking at photographs of today will feel the same way at some point?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:

Is it a good choice?
__
The brand is fine, I have used Sandisk myself. But 128GB is not very large for $100 and with an older computer you will not be able to take advantage of the higher speeds of USB 3.0, unless of course you are sure that your machine has USB 3.0. Flash drive capacity has continued to increase but the ones at 64GB and above are still a poor value IMO.

You can get something much, much larger for less money, such as this Western Digital external hard drive:
http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra.../dp/B00E83X9P8

It is roughly 8 times larger capacity, for 2/3 the price. The slim style external drives don't require external power like the bigger ones, it's powered by just the one USB cable it comes with. I have a 300GB version that's probably 3 or 4 generations older than that one. It's about the size of my Android smartphone.

Just open Windows Explorer and drag & drop the entire folder (or folders) where your photos are stored to your external drive, and then plug it into a different machine and use as-is, or drag onto the new machine's hard drive. Windows should automatically make a copy when you drag to a different drive than the source, instead of just moving the files as it does when dragging within the same drive. So you would in essence be making a backup as you go.

It's more complicated if your photos are spread out all over your hard drive. That's one reason I try to keep everything in the 'My Pictures' folder and have a lot of sub-folders within that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 6:49 PM

Thanks again for your help HossC and Graybeard. I won't bog down the thread with any more talk of my computer situation.
(I'll be sue to use personal messaging if I need any more help)

HossC, I couldn't read the address on that Kellogg & Hall/Hudson photograph. (hmmm...maybe I need glasses )

Here are a few more kodachrome images by Ed Alinder.

North Hollywood 1940s. Home of Alice and Gil Alinder, Ed's brother. (but that's Ed's Ford convertible in the drive)

macrochef.wordpress.com

Post-War housing 1947. (I believe this is Burbank)

macrochef.wordpress.com

Lockheed, Burbank 1947.

macrochef.wordpress.com

..and finally we meet Ed Alinder and his beautiful wife Marian. (married in 1941, they both worked at Lockheed)

macrochef.wordpress.com

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:16 PM

I came across this on ebay a few weeks ago.

ebay

I looked for the address of the Seaboard National Bank in the 1927 Los Angeles City Directory. (I wanted to see if that entrance is still there)
I found the home addresses of the bank president, vice president and even a teller...but not the address of the actually bank.
(not sure what I did wrong...sometimes I free like a complete dolt)

The ebay image above led me to these two interesting photographs from 1929.

pinterest

An early forerunner of the ATM machine, this cash on wheels truck was called the Roving Bank Teller, which made selected stops around Los Angeles in !929.
Built somewhat like a tank, this vehicle belonged to the Seaboard National Bank.

pinterest

A Seaboard twenty

ebay

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos