HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 2:49 AM

Reminds me of Goya's "Colossus" painting.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:27 AM

Saw this tower while I was crossing the Outerbridge and this thing really makes it's presense known. This is behind the ESB from where I was looking and it looked almost as tall as the ESB and it's not even done yet! Can't wait to see this when it's topped out.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 5:38 AM
weidncol

Yep, it's definitely one of the three kings of the skyline, being One WTC, ESB and 432 PA.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 12:52 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
For a skinny tower, it can look pretty thick in views far away.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
For a skinny tower, it can look pretty thick in views far away.
Yes it does. I agree. I've seen many shots like that. Amazing to think that in a few years it will look shorter when the other supertalls come aboard!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:10 AM

From yesterday.

It's hard to tell but looks like protective coating has been removed from some windows.

Last edited by ILNY; Jul 28, 2014 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

A week ago today...(July 20, 2014)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:26 PM
She needs her space

I just saw this tower for the first time in a while and it's very very impressive in person. And TALL. Perfect boring sterile neighborhood for the super rich part time residents that will call it home, though. IMO One57 is so much better located, and even that area is a little eh.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:44 PM
BANNED

I like the height and the fast pace of vertical construction, but this building reminds me of a brutalist 1970s style structure.

Not enough glass...just my oppinion.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I like the height and the fast pace of vertical construction, but this building reminds me of a brutalist 1970s style structure.

Wow, don't see that at all. In fact, I think its elegance is in stark contrast to brutalist architecture.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:11 PM

@LeotheDog;

But that's just it....
It shouldn't have to be. I mean it really shouldn't.
The West Side beyond the fringes of Hudson Yards, and the Titans of 57th will be slopping over with glass.
The sheer concrete visage makes this towert all the more stunning; and I welcome that departure from IMO a stultifying norm.
Brutalism IMO doesn't apply here. PanAm/MetLife is so dubbed only because of its size. IMO, that particular quality defines the movement.
But that's another discussion whither to wander farther afield.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:24 PM

This is just absolutely dominating coming in from Astoria.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:28 PM

Wait till 200CPS, Steinway (111 W57th) and Nordstrom join the lineup.
The westbound LIE Tunnel approach with these, plus 1 Vandy, Tower Verre and 425P??....And HY etc. to the left of the panorama???

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I just saw this tower for the first time in a while and it's very very impressive in person. And TALL. Perfect boring sterile neighborhood for the super rich part time residents that will call it home, though. IMO One57 is so much better located, and even that area is a little eh.
That's just is, this tower is not really that. There are more domestic buyers for this particular tower, than something like One57. Park Avenue has long been a most desired address for the wealthy. What you see happening along the rest of 57th is something entirely new, and a reason you see a lot more foreign buyers there, though nearby Time Warner and 15 CPW aren't really that, they're not on the stretch of 57th where the foreign investments are. Though 57th will only get better with time, for those who will actually spend more time in the buildings, the Park Avenue towers are more desired. You'll see the same thing with 520 Park Avenue. The Sony building is also being converted into luxury residential. It's a very desirable area.

But we should also keep in mind that the perceptions of these towers as homes for "billionaires only" with $100 million dollar condos isn't accurate. Sure, it makes the news when penthouse units go for 90 to 100 million or so, but there is the entire rest of these buildings that go for much less. Those units don't make the news, nor characterize the towers, but they account for a much greater percentage of the buildings as far as overall number of units go.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post

No way. 432 Park is far sleeker than the monstrosities like the General Motors building or those nondescript office buildings on 6th Avenue between 44-49 streets.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's just is, this tower is not really that. There are more domestic buyers for this particular tower, than something like One57. Park Avenue has long been a most desired address for the wealthy. What you see happening along the rest of 57th is something entirely new, and a reason you see a lot more foreign buyers there, though nearby Time Warner and 15 CPW aren't really that, they're not on the stretch of 57th where the foreign investments are. Though 57th will only get better with time, for those who will actually spend more time in the buildings, the Park Avenue towers are more desired. You'll see the same thing with 520 Park Avenue. The Sony building is also being converted into luxury residential. It's a very desirable area.

But we should also keep in mind that the perceptions of these towers as homes for "billionaires only" with $100 million dollar condos isn't accurate. Sure, it makes the news when penthouse units go for 90 to 100 million or so, but there is the entire rest of these buildings that go for much less. Those units don't make the news, nor characterize the towers, but they account for a much greater percentage of the buildings as far as overall number of units go.
Right, but these are still going to the very wealthy. The owner of my company is moving to NYC and I've heard he's looking at this building among others. He is not a billionaire but he is still pretty darn wealthy. He lives a life with which I am not familiar

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
No way. 432 Park is far sleeker than the monstrosities like the General Motors building or those nondescript office buildings on 6th Avenue between 44-49 streets.
Right. While it is true that Brutalist buildings typically do not have much glass, certainly the amount of glass is not the only defining characteristic of that architecture. This building is anything but brutalist. Yes, it is really big ... ok. It is slender, elegant, simple and as you said, sleek. Speaking of Brutalist buildings from the 70's ... this was a favorite style of government buildings ... does this look anything like a government building?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:35 PM

An update from various locations around East Midtown and from Central Park, during daytime and night.

July 26, 2014

Video Link

Last edited by Lecom; Jul 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
...far sleeker than the monstrosities like the General Motors building...
The GE/RCA/ComCast/NBC Peacock Tower is one of the stunning graces of any architectural highrise period in the world.
And as for sleekness or lack thereof as you suggest, I suggest you look at that tower's east/west profile...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:59 PM
Global Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The cheapest apartment in this tower costs $1.6 million and is just 350 square foot. That's hardly something the average income earner can afford.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive