HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
I agree, light rail transit from airport to downtown is really important. It definitely should be at the top of the list. I would say the Uofa campus is the main draw of people visiting tucson and downtown/4th ave is the connector with future hotel rooms and lots of restaurants for the tourists. Also, along with Sonoran desert museum, it's all balanced more on the west side of town and it just makes sense for that connection.
I would have the TIA route as my top priority for sure. Probably run it down Stone/6th Ave., past the VA Hospital, and have it stop at Laos Transit Center, then down Nogales Hwy. to TIA. Maybe even down Valenica to Pima Air and Space Museum and maybe even on to the U of A Tech Park out on Rita Rd.

Next route would be down Aviation Hwy./Golf Links to DMAFB, up Wilmot to the Park Place Mall, then down Broadway back to downtown. One big loop. Easy access to downtown and 4th Ave. and to Park Place and the restaurants and bars in that area for those on the Air Force Base. Also stops at El Con/Reid Park.

Then next main one would be up Oracle or Stone to Tucson Mall, and would make a stop at the Tohono Tadai Transit Center.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 PM

If I recall, the TIA Long-Range Plan indicated there would be a new "main entrance" and roadway access...can't remember if it was Country Club and/or off of Nogales Highway/I-19.

With that in mind, installing the extension's rails, stops, and even ROW (maybe its own designated lane in certain areas, streetcar and lightrail combo) would be coordinated.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Finally found the preliminary renderings for the Speedway & Campbell project. The allusions to Whole Foods are pretty obvious.

These renderings are awesome...can't wait for this development and the "arena site" development.

The west-end needs to pick-up...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
These renderings are awesome...can't wait for this development and the "arena site" development.

The west-end needs to pick-up...
I hope these rendering are very preliminary. There's a very 1960s vibe to these - I think they'd look quite dated, sort of like Disney's Tomorrowland. Are those outside walkways all the way around all levels?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 4:10 AM

More renders and details of the latest proposal from the Bourn Companies for the Thrifty Block redevelopment:

http://www.bourncompanies.com/projec...ucson-project/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
If I recall, the TIA Long-Range Plan indicated there would be a new "main entrance" and roadway access...can't remember if it was Country Club and/or off of Nogales Highway/I-19.

With that in mind, installing the extension's rails, stops, and even ROW (maybe its own designated lane in certain areas, streetcar and lightrail combo) would be coordinated.
I think at this point they have kinda settled on Tucson Blvd being the main entrance for the foreseeable future. They are investing in the design (Signage, Plants, hardscapes, ground coverings, etc) of the median as well as the shoulders. The Kino Pkwy/Benson Hwy intersection could use some improvements so that it is clear to people which turn to take coming from the airport and trying to get to the UofA area or the opposite. One thing I have noticed Tucson lacks a lot of are overhead directional signs letting people know what lane to be in to get where. These are rather cheap ways to help guide people around town whether they be tourists in the TIA area or just lost residents. These don't have to be restricted to expressways or freeways either they are great even on normal surface streets/ Some of those overhead digital traffic update signs would be cool too. The only way I see Tucson Blvd not being the main entrance for the next 20 years is a significant amount of infrastructure including the Phoenix/Tucson rail, a Tucson light rail stop and even then I still think it would be long shot to change to main entrance.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I would have the TIA route as my top priority for sure. Probably run it down Stone/6th Ave., past the VA Hospital, and have it stop at Laos Transit Center, then down Nogales Hwy. to TIA. Maybe even down Valenica to Pima Air and Space Museum and maybe even on to the U of A Tech Park out on Rita Rd.

Next route would be down Aviation Hwy./Golf Links to DMAFB, up Wilmot to the Park Place Mall, then down Broadway back to downtown. One big loop. Easy access to downtown and 4th Ave. and to Park Place and the restaurants and bars in that area for those on the Air Force Base. Also stops at El Con/Reid Park.

Then next main one would be up Oracle or Stone to Tucson Mall, and would make a stop at the Tohono Tadai Transit Center.
I like your route ideas. I def think the two main priorities for a light rail system's first lines in Tucson would be connect The U of A/Downtown to TIA/Raytheon and get a route from Downtown/UA area down Broadway to the Park Place Mall (obviously eventually things would go further east, just talking a couple routes to start with).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:28 PM

Official Streetcar Launch on Congress St.

Who got the chance to be there?

From TucsonScene Scene Channel.
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post

I could see a bit from my office's window and hear the band playing. We now have "beach"front property. Planning on taking the streetcar somewhere for lunch today. =)

EDIT: Plans shot. I waited for two cars and they were both so packed, they weren't letting anyone else on. I was with a group and only two–three people were getting off at the Plaza Centro stop where we were waiting. I was hoping to snag some pictures of inside the car for you all, but I wasn't able to do so. =/
One thing I did notice, though, was that the route map that's at the stations (and online) has the Downtown Links extension of AZ 210 already on it. Guess it's closer than I thought to coming to fruition—it'll be nice having less cars going down Congress just to get to the freeway.

Last edited by Schaeffa; Jul 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:02 PM

Quote:

Video Link
I wish I was there for the kick off party but I'm planning on riding the whole route later this evening. I like how the uofa pep band is there I guess that represents how Tucson is still ultimately a college town. Also, it was exciting to see so many people of different age groups supporting the start of the streetcar. I hope they all know that the best is yet to come and that our downtown is going in the right direction. This project was definitely the best decision the people of this town has made because it gives Tucson an opportunity to grow at a faster pace economically. It just makes our urban core so much more aesthetically attractive with all the additional projects filling in the many empty areas.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:38 PM

Had these pictures on my phone...

El Con Mall - Cheddar’s Casual Café. 070814

Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges - pads on Kino Parkway. 072414

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM
BANNED

Really nice to see the Modern Streetcar opening. Ceremonies like that are awesome and reflect true civic pride. I love that there was a band, too.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Video Link
I took the morning and followed the VIP train from the med center for 4 of the 5 ribbon cuttings cause why not. Steve's call and response (together!) was a little too enthusiastic for the crowd.

Only rode one stop on friday, but took it downtown for lunch today. One major flaw I saw was people struggling with the readers and day passes-- and this got me thinking, why do most people need to tap in? If you have a day pass, it's unlimited rides so if the fare cop comes around either the pass is valid or it isn't. Same deal with monthly/weekly/yearly sunGO-- either it's within the timeframe or it isn't. The only people who should have to tap is people paying sunGO cash equivalent. I think the speed of tapping might cause congestion during peak times.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post
I took the morning and followed the VIP train from the med center for 4 of the 5 ribbon cuttings cause why not. Steve's call and response (together!) was a little too enthusiastic for the crowd.

Only rode one stop on friday, but took it downtown for lunch today. One major flaw I saw was people struggling with the readers and day passes-- and this got me thinking, why do most people need to tap in? If you have a day pass, it's unlimited rides so if the fare cop comes around either the pass is valid or it isn't. Same deal with monthly/weekly/yearly sunGO-- either it's within the timeframe or it isn't. The only people who should have to tap is people paying sunGO cash equivalent. I think the speed of tapping might cause congestion during peak times.
Good point about the reader. I took the streetcar one stop and back today for lunch from my office and I had to walk to the other end of the car because the people in front of me with day passes couldn't get it to read. By the time they figured it out, we would have passed my stop. Overall, it was a good experience, though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:07 AM

If it is anything like the tap pass in Phoenix, people will get used to it quickly.

Tapping in I imagine is all about data. Ridership by time and place, peak hours, trips per day/week/year.

Important for managing the service, and both justifying and planning any expansion of public transit in So. AZ.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 5:36 AM

Quote:

Video Link
Wow! That was so incredible music. I am really like it lots. I haven't ride on light rail for a long time. I don't have much time.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:58 PM

Nice picture from US DOT article on the Streetcar....

Tucson's Sun Link Streetcar one more reason to Grow America

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 5:26 AM

Interesting article. Though it says (a couple times) this was more for show, there were suggestions that Tucson is viewed as a good, if not great, candidate for the plant, and this gesture may actually have some real value.

Tucson to Tesla Motors: Your building permit is ready

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 12:04 AM

According to a number of sources, including Inside Tucson Business and Forbes Tesla broke ground last month in Reno on what may or may not be the gigafactory. But they continue to say that they may do the same thing in one or two (now) other states and that a final decision is "still months away", according to ABC.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 5:56 AM

I found a pdf about the new project on Speedway and Campbell. It looks like it's a major projects, probably the single largest development downtown aside from the streetcar. I'm excited, the design is even starting to grow on me.
http://pdsd.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/...hort_email.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest