HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:03 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge twice last Thursday and didn't see any construction.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:28 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishpet1 View Post
Hi guys. I just came through San Fran on the weekend on my way back up to Canada and just wondering if someone could tell me what the construction is by the Golden Gate bridge. I tried doing a search but can't find any info. I appreciate any info you can share.
Do you mean all the Doyle Drive construction?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:44 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Ah, that must be it. I thought he was talking about buildings going up and couldn't think of any.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:13 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

S.F. planners consider 19th Avenue subway

Travel time along the M-Ocean View Muni Metro line averages just 8 to 9 mph along 19th Avenue, where it has to contend with traffic signals and congestion around San Francisco State and Stonestown Galleria. Photo: Michael Short, The Chronicle

To catch a Muni train on 19th Avenue, S.F. State students, Stonestown shoppers and others must cross three lanes of traffic. Photo: Michael Short, The Chronicle

Michael Cabanatuan
Wednesday, April 2, 2014

With the Central Subway well under construction, San Francisco transportation planners are eyeing a possible 19th Avenue subway to speed travel on the sluggish M-Ocean View Muni Metro line.

A recently completed feasibility study recommends building a subway from St. Francis Circle south to San Francisco State University, with stations at Stonestown Galleria and the university. Along the university campus, one track would be below ground and one would be at street level.

The tracks would be extended at ground level through Parkmerced, crossing Junipero Serra Boulevard on a bridge and then traveling at street level to rejoin the existing M line at Randolph Street.

Building a subway beneath 19th Avenue could help solve two problems: a painfully slow stretch of light-rail line and a dangerous length of highway that forces San Francisco State students, Stonestown shoppers and other riders to cross three lanes of traffic to catch a train.

The M-Ocean View, which carries about 27,000 riders a day, averages just 8 to 9 mph along 19th Avenue, where it has to contend with traffic signals. It travels from downtown to the Balboa Park Muni and BART Station via West Portal, 19th Avenue and the Ocean View neighborhood.

The MTA will continue looking into the subway with a $1 million preliminary environmental study and a Caltrans project report required for work on 19th Avenue, which is part of the state highway system.

Should the agency decide to go ahead with the subway, design and construction would follow - when funding is available. The soonest the project could be completed, the feasibility study says, is 2022.

Competition for funding will be stiff, both within the city and the Bay Area, because of the expense and the number of transportation projects seeking funding. But the study says the subway would compete well because of promised investment from the university, which would contribute $1.8 million to help pay for a new station, and Parkmerced developers, as well as its location on a state highway and in an area targeted for high-density development.

Parkmerced station

Development plans for Parkmerced, south of the San Francisco State campus, call for taking the M line tracks off 19th Avenue and into the development with a station inside the neighborhood complex.

The feasibility study also considered keeping the M line all at ground level and building a shorter subway that would emerge before the university and continue at street level with a tunnel beneath 19th Avenue and Junipero Serra Boulevard.

But it concluded the recommended longer subway would reduce travel times along 19th Avenue on the M line by 35 to 45 percent; provide an extra 30 to 50 feet for wider sidewalks, bike paths and bus loading; provide more pedestrian crossings; and create a new bike and pedestrian link between Parkmerced and Ocean View on the light-rail bridge.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
Do you mean all the Doyle Drive construction?
Thanks for the info CharlesCO!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Not a bad idea, especially considering the clusterfuck that is the intersection of Sloat blvd./Portola dr./Junipero Serra blvd./West Portal ave./St. Francis blvd. And especially since they recently gave the trains signal priority and adjusted the stop light timing...which is good for the trains, but results in red lights for motorists that can seem like they last for hours.

BUT...

I can't help but think that if we're gonna spend our limited money on building subways, it would be better spent on extending the central subway to north beach/fisherman's wharf, or on the first phase of a Geary street subway or something.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
I can't help but think that if we're gonna spend our limited money on building subways, it would be better spent on extending the central subway to north beach/fisherman's wharf, or on the first phase of a Geary street subway or something.
i tend to agree, even based solely on ridersrhip... but i also have to assume this 19th avenue subway extension is an order of magnitude cheaper than the first phase of a geary street subway. or a van ness subway. extending the central subway to north beach/fisherman's wharf has to be the most cost-effective in terms of time, money, and riders for the near-term.

if i recall, muni's subway was originally planned to extend further - at least to st. francis wood - but was then shortened to save enough money to build embarcadero station.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:47 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The Twin Peaks Tunnel opened almost 100 years ago. Embarcadero Station--and the Market Street subway itself--was not yet a glimmer in a planner's eye.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:33 AM

First SMART trains ready for shipping

Quote:
The first train cars ordered up by the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit agency have passed their factory tests in Japan and are ready to be shipped to the United States for on-track testing, SMART general manager Farhad Mansourian said Wednesday.

SMART released the first photos and video of the two grey and green Diesel Multiple Units rolling on tracks outside the Nippon Sharyo factory in Toyokawa, Japan.

The two individually powered cars, which will form one of SMART’s initial seven units, will be shipped by boat and rail within the next few weeks to the Sumitomo Corp. of America plant in Rochelle, Ill., where the rest of the units will be manufactured.

The state-side factory complies with the rail authority’s federal funding requirement to manufacture and assemble the cars in-country.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Surprisingly handsome. The Japanese did a superb job integrating the crash requirements with a nice looking end cap.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:21 PM
life is good

Yeah looks sharp. Excited to see them running next time I'm wine tasting

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 3:07 PM
Sonoma Strong

Yeah, the picture looks even better than the renderings! I'm really excited this is what we're getting. I've been watching the Cotati station go up. Looks very "Sonoma County-ish", complete with a mini faux water tower.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:31 PM
Sonoma Strong

Got out of the car to take a pic of the Cotati SMART station:

Nearby recent "higher density" (by Sonoma County standards) housing, taken from the same spot as first pic:

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:44 AM

Looks like the new light rail line connecting Minneapolis and St. Paul via the University of Minnesota will offer 24 hour service. Yet BART isn't able to offer even a couple extra hours of service on Friday & Saturday nights? If they want to do track work, just shut down one of the tracks in the transbay tube and offer a shuttle service on the other track between downtown SF (one or two stops) & downtown Oakland (12th Street). Any technical reason why it wouldn't be possible to have one side shut down while the other track stays operational for a SF/Oakland shuttle service (other than money)?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:56 AM
Aspiring Amateur

There was actually a report about that on KTVU last night and an apparent movement to start a pilot program for better night service:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/propos...-overni/nff6h/

Though all that they are pushing for are buses until 2 a.m. on weekends for one year. But isn't that already the case, or didn't AC Transit and a few other agencies provide night owl service to BART stations in the past?

EDIT: Here's a little more information: http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/..._francisco.php

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:28 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Any technical reason why it wouldn't be possible to have one side shut down while the other track stays operational for a SF/Oakland shuttle service (other than money)?
I'm not sure I buy the idea BART needs to work on every inch of track every night--it seems BART doesn't want to run overnight service and so it has come up with some half-assed excuse for why.

That said, it's not possible to shut power to one side of a section of the tunnels without also shutting power to the other side. If workers are in one part of one tunnel, the rails in both directions get powered down.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:51 AM

^^ Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. That's too bad it's not possible to shut off electricity to just one track instead of both.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 9:19 PM
Resu Deretsiger

they already have had 24 hour plans in place before, which looks good to me. I'd suggest opening pittsburg/bay point as my apartment is close. oh and E-bart terminates at the bay point station
http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2013/news20130815

Last edited by TWAK; May 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM. Reason: ouch the part to south bay sucks

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 4:07 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^For special circumstances they have indeed run trains 24 hours a day. I can think of 3 different periods of time when that happened. BART has never quite argued overnight service is impossible--they just come up with excuses for not doing it. I don't know why they don't want to, but I don't believe for one minute that they do rail work every single night, all night, in the Transbay Tube.

Seriously, think of what a game-changer it would be for the region--especially the East Bay--if BART just ran a 10-car train every hour on each line overnight? Even that skeletal service would be huge--people could live in one part of the region, go out for drinks, and get home safely!

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 6:18 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
I mean, is it even really a subway...sounds more like an underpass for trains.

I always have wondered why there isn't more improvements to existing transit systems. We widen and grade separate roads, we should do the same for transit lines that have bottlenecks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation