HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Yeah, the Gold Line station is about a 5 minute walk to the park

That sounds nice about minneapolis. The park right now is really nothing - one end was done about 10 years ago with grass, trees, etc and the far end was the native plantings area (which was really nice actually) and the middle is a woodchipped wasteland. But it's large (30ish acres I think). I can already hear the howls of protest when I write this, but I like that it's quiet here and not filled with a ton of people. Perhaps it speaks to the lack of parks, but if you ever try to go to some of the neighborhood parks around the city, they're mobbed. Insanely so. So I'm glad that they're not putting in grills and all that crap, but still I wish it would have just been left as is. The last thing I want to see when I go to a park is bouncy house.
It does speak to the lack of parks in LA; not parkland........tons of mt parkland....but not a lot of neighborhood parks. They discuss the issues in this article here:

http://eaglerock.patch.com/groups/po...e-pocket-parks

Similar to the complaints I heard when living there...........but I understand..........it would be nice to have a more natural setting where its not overrun with people on weekends.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
It does speak to the lack of parks in LA; not parkland........tons of mt parkland....but not a lot of neighborhood parks. They discuss the issues in this article here:

http://eaglerock.patch.com/groups/po...e-pocket-parks

Similar to the complaints I heard when living there...........but I understand..........it would be nice to have a more natural setting where its not overrun with people on weekends.
Man that article is depressing. This is why they should have left State Historic alone. It was crappy enough not to draw miscreants.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:50 AM

I can't wait to see the LA State Historic Park overhaul finally get going. I do have some appreciation for its quiet, rugged state, but it's simply not living up to its potential. Plus, it'll still be a huge park in a relatively peripheral location so it will surely keep some quiet spots.

In some other news, I passed by Ava Little Tokyo yesterday afternoon. I could say a few things about it but I'll keep my complaints to 'too many colors.' On the bright side, it's very nice to see the creation of a nice street wall down Los Angeles Street. Once these buildings fill in, and if Medallion 2 gets off the ground, this will be a very different place in a few years.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:20 AM

Just grabbed a pastor quesadilla from the vintage Danny's Tacos permanent truck at Olympic and Grand, and found out it's moving...............because of construction expected to start April 1st!

That's right, Danny's Tacos, the fixture of munchies on Olympic Blvd is moving across the street as construction begins.

Is this the Hanover building that was proposed last year? Whatever it is, something will be starting next month at Olympic and Grand!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
I can't wait to see the LA State Historic Park overhaul finally get going. I do have some appreciation for its quiet, rugged state, but it's simply not living up to its potential. Plus, it'll still be a huge park in a relatively peripheral location so it will surely keep some quiet spots.

In some other news, I passed by Ava Little Tokyo yesterday afternoon. I could say a few things about it but I'll keep my complaints to 'too many colors.' On the bright side, it's very nice to see the creation of a nice street wall down Los Angeles Street. Once these buildings fill in, and if Medallion 2 gets off the ground, this will be a very different place in a few years.
I agree about the street wall, it will look great. As will all those residents. It can be hard enough to get a table at some of those awesome restaurants now, it's about to get more crowded.

The design, and especially the colored Mr Potato Head bits, is just seriously fugs. And it looks even worse in real life. It's like whatever crap was leftover from Wilshire and Vermont they glued onto this poor thing. The city needs a design review board for all of downtown.

Across the street from these will be the Budokon recreation center, if that ever gets underway. And yeah, once Medallion 2 is done, it's going to be even better over there.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
I admit that I skipped a bit through the video and didn't watch all 11 minutes. I don't speak Russian well, but I understand a little bit.

Anyway, the girl seems to share none of your concern about the state of the city, and seems to find it an interesting tourist destination worth sharing with her friends.
mbb, thanks for your translation. I wish you had gone through the entire vid, since I swear there are moments throughout it when her tone reminds me of what I'd be hearing if someone said....'hey, look at that 85 yr old woman wearing a bikini!!' or 'look at that hobo wearing a spandex halter top!'

Some of those instances do occur around the times when I can hear her saying 'downtown los angeles'.....there are also moments when she says 'santa monica' & I wonder what that's in reference to.

there's a google translator for the written word in a foreign language, & it would be nice if there were one for the spoken word too.

LAofanaheim's post was intriguing to me so I did a bit of legwork & came up with a pic to go along with his comment....

jeff H/yelp.com

take a deep breath, everyone....even more so in light of muji's pic of one of the apt projs designed by TCA.....& hold onto to your hats. What laofanaheims is talking about apparently refers to this apt proj from the hanover company out of houston,tx, & designed by..........TCA.

brighamyen.com/hanoverco.com

^ at least the colors will be muted compared with their work on the ava proj. Are the architects at TCA color blind??!! They apparently are.

notice, too, in muji's pic that an area just one block south of LA city hall has never even had formal street lights! Those rustic, cheap thingamajigs...which I'm assuming will be replaced when the new apt bldgs are completed....are what one might see along the road in a small dusty town. They show just how slap dash the hood has been over the past 80 or more yrs.

time for a new beginning....time to enter the 21st century, dtla.

Right now, I'll let some of you forumers fret over the bad colors of Ava....& understandably so....while I fret about whether all the new construction will be supported by enough demand from ppl looking for places to live in dtla during the next 3 to 5 yrs.

Seeing how leasing is going at the newly opened jia apt bldg in chinatown & what will be opening shortly, the avant proj on fig st across from the convention ctr, should give everyone a better hint of whether delvprs are going to be forcing themselves all over again into a feast or famine condition.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:02 AM
Doctor Burncream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
These projects have only been recently announced so they won't break ground until late this year/early 2015.

Just saying.
Lol. Saved this post. Let's see how many actually break ground by 2015.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Lol. Saved this post. Let's see how many actually break ground by 2015.
Can I ask why you have such a negative/cynical attitude?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerhill23 View Post
Because if you've been following development news in DTLA, there's a solid chance you'll turn into a pessimist. We've been hurt before so we know it's best to be cautious when reading proposals for DTLA.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:25 AM
Doctor Burncream

Quote:
I try not to, i'm simply being realistic. The veterans of this forum all know that renderings mean jack shit when it comes to LA. They almost always never come into fruition, and when they do, they are almost ALWAYS downscaled from the previous iteration. Blackcat knows it as well. The Onni renderings are preliminary and are subject to change which probably means they are going to be shrunk. Maybe not as drastic as others, but who knows. I have faith in these Canadians. They see the potential in Downtown. You should be thanking me. I seem to be the only one left who spends his time snapping shots of the development.

Just wanted to leave a reminder we lost this,

for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
Because if you've been following development news in DTLA, there's a solid chance you'll turn into a pessimist. We've been hurt before so we know it's best to be cautious when reading proposals for DTLA.
Bam. Hit it right on the mark. You may appreciate Downtown since you're fairly new here, but at the end of the day you grow tired and sour over the constant delays and stall of news over certain projects. I was once very energetic and excited like some on this forum, but reality struck. I wish we could get every project going. I really do, but things just don't happen like that in LA.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:28 AM
Lurker

Quote:
He's been hangin' with another forumer who's known for his pessimism.

But seriously, this isn't 2008. Things have picked up. Greenland and others aren't investing billions for nothing.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:37 AM
Doctor Burncream

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
But seriously, this isn't 2008. Things have picked up. Greenland and others aren't investing billions for nothing.
You'd think it, but remember the car wash lot? It was incredibly pricey and we haven't seen ANYTHING. How about the lots Shy bought up on Broadway and Hill? Nada. But I will give it to you in regards to the Asians. They will take advantage while others waste millions for nothing.

Anyways, Here are the 23 projects that are planned for DTLA 10 of which are 6 story boxes.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:44 AM
Lurker

Well, we don't know what's going on with the car wash site, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear about plans this year. It's been about a year and a half since the site was "close to selling" (Curbed). These things take time. (yeah I know, understatement)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:00 AM

Quote:
I try not to, i'm simply being realistic. The veterans of this forum all know that renderings mean jack shit when it comes to LA. They almost always never come into fruition, and when they do, they are almost ALWAYS downscaled from the previous iteration. Blackcat knows it as well. The Onni renderings are preliminary and are subject to change which probably means they are going to be shrunk. Maybe not as drastic as others, but who knows. I have faith in these Canadians. They see the potential in Downtown. You should be thanking me. I seem to be the only one left who spends his time snapping shots of the development.

Bam. Hit it right on the mark. You may appreciate Downtown since you're fairly new here, but at the end of the day you grow tired and sour over the constant delays and stall of news over certain projects. I was once very energetic and excited like some on this forum, but reality struck. I wish we could get every project going. I really do, but things just don't happen like that in LA.
It's so off-putting though. You realize that, right? We all are on this forum because we love skyscrapers and tall buildings. What's the point about complaining in every post? What does it accomplish? It almost devalues your pictures.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:10 AM
Doctor Burncream

Quote:
It's so off-putting though. You realize that, right? We all are on this forum because we love skyscrapers and tall buildings. What's the point about complaining in every post? What does it accomplish? It almost devalues your pictures.
We are all subject to opinion. Negative or not.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:13 AM

Quote:
We are all subject to opinion. Negative or not.
Okay, well i'm letting you know that as a newcomer to this forum, I am very tempted to leave. If your goal is to get people excited about downtown and interested in development, you're doing an awful job.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:35 AM

From what ive heard, the Car Wash Site is moving forward... i would bet on hearing something before the end of the year.

Mojeda, ive been here much longer than you have and im still optimistic. This is different than the previous boom. We have tons of Foreign money coming in, which was never the case. Also, these developments take time. We all wish they would happen overnight, but its just not reality. And if you think only the LA projects get downsized, or were the only city getting 7 story wood frame, then you are not paying attention. For example, SF is also getting a lot of those and crap architecture.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 1:23 PM

FYI this is the project that's forced the roach coach to relocate:

http://brighamyen.com/2013/11/22/ear...k-downtown-la/

The rendering citywatch posted is for the Olympic/Hill aparments, which are already under construction. They're easy to mistake for one another, since Hanover is planning three projects near the same intersection that are all designed by the same architectural firm.

Good to see that this one is on schedule, either way. The Downtown News development report said that 1000 Grand and the Lennar project next door were both targeting second quarter groundbreakings.

Last edited by blackcat23; Mar 19, 2014 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:32 PM
Hazy

Quote:

Just wanted to leave a reminder we lost this,

for this.

Bragging about how you are the only one who takes pictures will win you no favors. Especially considering the YEARS of photo contributions from other forum members.

I remember when I joined this forum almost 10 years ago. The only thing under construction was Elleven and Mode was supposed to be the hottest restaurant in DTLA. Hell..DTLA wasn't even called DTLA. LA Live was still a parking lot in front of Staples Center. There was no Ralphs, no Grand Park, the Disney Hall was about a year old, the Gold Line just opened, 1100 Wilshire was still empty, and the Medici was the first ground up residential project in downtown in so many years.

The Ritz wasn't even a Ritz. It was a Hilton:

http://static.flickr.com/24/43682927_401500efd5_o.jpg

You do no rush progress. Life is not Sim City.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Mojeda, ive been here much longer than you have and im still optimistic. This is different than the previous boom. We have tons of Foreign money coming in, which was never the case.
Yeah this feels very different because most of the projects announced during the previous "boom" that never happened were from property owners more looking to sell their land than develop. They never built anything before then and still haven't. This is different because now we have big time developers from inside and outside the US buying property and spending money. I'm cautiously optimistic that many (not all) of these projects will happen. The ones from people that have never developed I'm less optimistic about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations