HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:54 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
I'm tracking a friend's flight to Europe today... I've heard an app is being developed that will allow a user to point a smartphone at a plane, in flight, and get instant info on that plane, i.e., carrier , speed, destination, etc.
FYI, the FlightRadar24 app already does this through its AR (Augmented Reality) view. But the problem is that most data is delayed by about 5 min by FAA mandate, so you're not likely to get a lot of accuracy out of it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
Speak of the devil, a 752 is inbound from Atlanta, according to flightaware. Am I the only one who browses flights on flightaware?
I've been using flightradar24. If you think flightaware is cool, wait until you see this one. If you tap on one of the planes, you get a pic of the plane flying and the airline, height, speed, flight number, point of origin, destination and more. Plus, its more like map quest. You can set it as map or radar, and zoom in.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I've been using flightradar24. If you think flightaware is cool, wait until you see this one. If you tap on one of the planes, you get a pic of the plane flying and the airline, height, speed, flight number, point of origin, destination and more. Plus, its more like map quest. You can set it as map or radar, and zoom in.
Actually I'm pretty sure flightaware has all those features. Picture of plane, airline, height, speed, etc.

Though flightradar24 is a bit more fluid with airplane positions.

Now that I think about it, it is sort of cooler.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Actually I'm pretty sure flightaware has all those features. Picture of plane, airline, height, speed, etc.

Though flightradar24 is a bit more fluid with airplane positions.

Now that I think about it, it is sort of cooler.
Can I actually point my phone at a plane flying over my house and get the data..I doubt if the FAA will ever allow this feature

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 10:18 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Eastbound is now covered thru London Heathrow with One World partners BA and AA. Eventually Westbound service to Seoul or Tokyo will happen with Star Alliance partners ANA or Asiana and UA, One World with JAL and AA or SkyTeam with KAL and Delta.

Rumors have been circulating at the port that UA may fill the Westbound route with a 787...Time will tell...
I would love to see a westbound route out of Austin. However, I confident in believing that KAL will not fulfill this route. It will start its first routs out of IAH in May. And, it already has a route out of DFW.

Asiana is out (for the time being), as it does not operate the B787 (nor does it have any on order).

We can discount AA on doing anything! They would have done so long ago if they were interested. They would rather passengers transfer at DFW, LAX or ORD for the westbound route. This same hypothesis could be placed on UA (via different hubs). I have a hard time thinking UA would place a transpacific flight out of Austin rather than channel passengers through IAH, ORD, LAX or SFO.

JAL...maybe. I see ANA picking up the route before JAL would. However, JAL does not currently fly to any Texas city (neither does ANA). This is mainly due to the founding partners of OneWorld and Star Alliance having major hubs in Texas.

Delta...hummm. That's tough. Delta no longer has a hub in Texas. However, they are down the list on PAX at ABIA. I'm not sure Austin is a big enough market for them to place a transpacific flight out of AUS. Unless they plan on challenging AA (DFW) and UA (IAH) by making Austin a Delta/SkyTeam "hub." Yes, that's far fetched and very wishful thinking...but, maybe. They could be the catalyst for the development of the South Terminal.

ABIA could also court an airline to develop a round-the-world route through Austin. For example, Singapore Airlines flies out of IAH...not to Singapore (or even west). It flies non-stop to Moscow and continues on to Singapore from Moscow.

Having said that...and as an example: if the Austin route for BA is successful, they may consider flying the AUS-NRT route???

The arrival of BA to Austin is very exciting. It does open the door of possibilities to other transoceanic routes out of AUS. I'd love to see that happen...and the sooner the better.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:27 AM

Never mind. I had a question about Singapore flights out of Houston, but I found my answer online. They fly Houston-Moscow-Singapore five times a week.

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 10, 2014 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:02 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I have no doubt in my mind that if not right now, then very soon we will have a market that can sustain a direct route to Seoul and its not just Samsung that is fueling demand, it is also our exploding Asian population growth. Its no secret that the Asian population in Austin is the fastest growing demographic outpacing the Hispanic/Latino growth. This trend has only sped up in recent years and will continue to do so. The Korean population is leading that growth and is expected to double or triple in the coming years.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 9:34 PM
Member since 2001

Please do not misunderstand me...I too, believe a non-stop route to Asia will be launched from ABIA. I also agree that the B787 and the forthcoming A350 will be game changers in the airline service industry.

With regard to Austin and its westbound route, the question is when will it commence and by which airline? Who knows.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:03 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Thats true, only time will tell, but its reasonable to assume that Korean Air would be the one to do it given Samsung's presence as well as the Korean specific population is and will continue to be the largest Asian demographic group. Also must point out all Asian regional population groups are growing from Vietnamese to Chinese to Japanese and everything in between. That will also play a role in a possible direct route as the airline would benefit from people connecting through to other countries in that area.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:23 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Its no secret that the Asian population in Austin is the fastest growing demographic outpacing the Hispanic/Latino growth.
I am ok with this. I wouldn't mind an Asian girlfriend.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Delta...hummm. That's tough. Delta no longer has a hub in Texas. However, they are down the list on PAX at ABIA. I'm not sure Austin is a big enough market for them to place a transpacific flight out of AUS. Unless they plan on challenging AA (DFW) and UA (IAH) by making Austin a Delta/SkyTeam "hub." Yes, that's far fetched and very wishful thinking...but, maybe. They could be the catalyst for the development of the South Terminal..
Anymore? Where was it originally?

Also, couldn't a city like Austin become a hub anytime, even with a lack of traffic most hubs have? A Delta hub in Austin would mean Texas would have a base for each of the current airline giants (American, United, and Delta), not to mention Southwest already has a large presence in its 4 largest cities. People wouldn't necessarily have to want to go to Austin, but Austin could still be of use if it serves as a place for people to connect to other flights. Delta currently has no hubs in the central US (except Memphis maybe, which has less traffic than Bergstrom), so this would provide some competition with American and United in Texas.

My father recently flew on Delta from Austin to Minneapolis to Phoenix since it was the cheapest route available (Southwest was pricy). It did seem inconvenient to fly all the way up North to Minneapolis, and then travel a long distance southwest since there wasn't another closer hub to connect with.

I'm not so sure an Austin hub with Delta would provide a lot of international or transoceanic flights though.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Anymore? Where was it originally?

Also, couldn't a city like Austin become a hub anytime, even with a lack of traffic most hubs have? A Delta hub in Austin would mean Texas would have a base for each of the current airline giants (American, United, and Delta), not to mention Southwest already has a large presence in its 4 largest cities. People wouldn't necessarily have to want to go to Austin, but Austin could still be of use if it serves as a place for people to connect to other flights. Delta currently has no hubs in the central US (except Memphis maybe, which has less traffic than Bergstrom), so this would provide some competition with American and United in Texas.

My father recently flew on Delta from Austin to Minneapolis to Phoenix since it was the cheapest route available (Southwest was pricy). It did seem inconvenient to fly all the way up North to Minneapolis, and then travel a long distance southwest since there wasn't another closer hub to connect with.

I'm not so sure an Austin hub with Delta would provide a lot of international or transoceanic flights though.
Delta has no intention of creating a hub again in Texas. They shuttered their DFW hub (which was quite substantial) about 15 years ago. They got rid of a Cincinnati hub after the NW merger, and they downsized NW's Memphis hub after the merger. They seem to have decided to have hubs only at airports that can serve both as hubs and support a large local customer base, but Delta does still maintain a small hub in Salt Lake City. There are rumors that it might not last long. Delta is most interested in beefing up it's presence on the West Coast and is trying hard to dominate at Seattle by upping competition with Alaska Air in spite of the fact that Delta and Alaska Air have a history of marketing alliances in the past. These moves give Delta added strength at LAX and SFO. Don't forget that Delta is a very major US airline serving Asia and Europe too. I would not be surprised to see a Delta/Alaska Air merger one of these days. Alaska Air is very strong on north/south routes on the west coast, and they really have no other potential merger partners. Delta is also eager to maintain and increase market share in the Northeast. They can best do this by maintaining Fortress Atlanta and making full use of their hubs in Detroit and Mpls/St.Paul. They have lots of slots at La Guardia, Boston Logan, and Washington National (Reagan) in addition to a big international terminal at JFK. I think Delta has more or less forfeited the South Central US airline passenger business to AA and UA.

Delta does plan to add 18 flights out of Love Field to Atlanta and their other hubs plus LA and La Guardia later this year after the Wright Amendment finally phases out. It is kind of an end run around AA at their Fortress DFW. It now appears that Delta and Virgin America are going to slug it out to see who gets the needed gates at Love Field. AA has to give up the gates as part of the consent agreement that they signed when the merger with US Air took place. Delta is already selling tickets, but Virgin America is putting up a fight for the two gates.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...field/6052767/

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 11, 2014 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 8:49 AM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:21 PM
Member since 2001

Does anyone know if this terminal expansion (East Infill) will provide a way for international transfer passengers to clear customs and head straight back into the secure zone of the terminal without having to be re-screened by the TSA?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 7:05 AM

Thumbs up

An interesting interview with the CEO of British Airways where he gives some insight on why Austin was chosen. One interesting point was the fact that AA has a strong presence here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...holds/6313513/

It makes sense... If you've ever tried to get an upgrade on a flight to/from Austin, you know that we have one of the highest concentrations of AA elites, add in an Admirals Club to take care of your BA elites, and hourly flights to DFW to connect elsewhere.

When I was in the Austin Admiral's Club last week, I asked if the flight was making it any busier in the club. The AAngels said the club is packed regularly with 40-50 extra people from 4-6pm. Not bad for a non-hub for sure...

It'll be interesting for sure to see if this tips the scale toward making Austin a oneWorld city, or if Star Alliance or SkyTeam counter punch with some new routes to Austin too. If anything, the competition will be good for the city.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 3:53 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1010 View Post
An interesting interview with the CEO of British Airways where he gives some insight on why Austin was chosen. One interesting point was the fact that AA has a strong presence here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...holds/6313513/

It makes sense... If you've ever tried to get an upgrade on a flight to/from Austin, you know that we have one of the highest concentrations of AA elites, add in an Admirals Club to take care of your BA elites, and hourly flights to DFW to connect elsewhere.

When I was in the Austin Admiral's Club last week, I asked if the flight was making it any busier in the club. The AAngels said the club is packed regularly with 40-50 extra people from 4-6pm. Not bad for a non-hub for sure...

It'll be interesting for sure to see if this tips the scale toward making Austin a oneWorld city, or if Star Alliance or SkyTeam counter punch with some new routes to Austin too. If anything, the competition will be good for the city.
Interesting...ABIA also has a United/Star Alliance Club.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:55 PM
Meh

Still not a record, though, F1 has it beat.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/ABIA-...250589441.html
Quote:
After nine days of interactive technology, film premieres and music performances, more than 19,000 passengers boarded planes on Sunday. Spring breakers were also among the travelers.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:50 AM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
No. Once they clear customs they will have to be re-screened.
Every US airport with customs and immigration requires that the passengers be re-screened if making a connection onto another flight.

If you are not continuing onto another flight and if Austin, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, LAX, or whatever airport you arrived in is your final destination, you simply just exit the airport after clearing customs and immigration.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin