HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:52 AM

I saw this Magritte-inspired bollard design recently. It's the work of a French street artist called OakOak. Now that we've reached 1000 pages, maybe we should put up something similar in Los Angeles as a tribute to ethereal_reality .

oakoak on Facebook

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 2:18 AM

lol HossC.

Is it possible the town of Alhambra CA was named after the Villa Brunner?

posted a couple days ago

..various sources say the Villa Brunner was also known as 'The Alhambra'.

http://dp.la/item/e5b2c34eae5be10d1154308089ce33dd

esoteric filigree

http://dp.la/item/e5b2c34eae5be10d1154308089ce33dd

comparison with the original Alhambra in Granada Spain

http://www.nesthostelsgranada.com/ne.../alhambra.html

It's possible I guess.
__

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:03 AM

The Naming of Alhambra

ER - It was George Patton's mom!

THE NAMING OF ALHAMBRA
In 1874, Benjamin Wilson bought 275 acres of state-owned land between the Arroyo and the Old Mill Wash paying $2.75 an acre. He divided the tract into 5 and 10 acre lots. Wilson named his venture "Alhambra" at the urging of his youngest daughter, 10-year old Ruth, who along with Sister Anne had been reading Washington Irving's book about the legends of the Moorish palace in Southern Spain called the "The Alhambra."

(In 1832, Washington Irving visited and wrote about his trip to the Alhambra. The book is a combination of travelogue in the Spain of the time, along with recanting tales from days long past, even then. Although this book is now more than a century and a half old, it remains in most libraries of today for three reasons: It's a delightful read by one of the greats of American literature, it's a good description of the Spain of the 1830's, and it's one of the few books on Spanish folklore.)

Who was Ruth Wilson?

Wilson's first wife died in 1849, and four years later he married a widow, Mrs. Margaret Hereford. They had four children, one of whom was Ruth Wilson who later became Mrs. George Patton, mother of the famous General George Patton, Jr. Lake Vineyard was later acquired by the Pattons and that is where Gen. Patton was born.

And, you were correct in guessing that there was a link to The Alhambra in Spain.

The whole Alhambra story is here:

http://www.cityofalhambra.org/page/2...y_of_alhambra/

Last edited by FredH; Mar 8, 2014 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
lol HossC.

Is it possible the town of Alhambra CA was named after the Villa Brunner?

posted a couple days ago

..various sources say the Villa Brunner was also known as 'The Alhambra'.
__
More likely, the house was following suit with the town, not the other way around:

Google Books

Some additional info: the website Alhambra Preservation says the Villa Brunner was originally built for the Behlow family and sold to "cigar magnate Hermann Brunner" in 1905. It was originally located at 1621 Main Street. Not a trace left:

GSV

Looks like it either stood about where the big office building is, or maybe a little further down where the 7-11 is.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:15 AM

FredH beat me to it - Great info!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
ebay

I found some information on the house next to Mr. Swan's early Greene & Greene.

It belonged to B. Frank Wood Esq.

ebay

detail
Great info, e_r! I was wondering about Swan's neighbor too. "H. Ridgeway" refers to Harry Ridgeway, the first registered architect in the city of Pasadena. A (relatively) good number of his works have survived around town, including the Lukens House at 267 S. El Molino:

CHRID

And the 'Hillmont' House at Mountain & Hill Street (a few blocks away from my own place):

Wikipedia

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:39 AM

Missing image

Maybe the more experienced posters can shed some light on a minor mystery. One of my LMI posts, back on page 811, I noticed tonight has a missing image. I went to my album at imageshack.us, and saw it was indeed gone. I certainly didn't delete it. Nor was there any question of copyright violation - it was a topo map. (I replaced the missing image with an earlier inferior draft I had uploaded to imageshack back in August). Odd.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:57 AM

That Tarzan guy gets around...
Personal col.

Cheers,Pat

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:52 AM
BANNED

Leopard swim suits....

[QUOTE=Albany NY;6484342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
It is a gathering of the Signal Oil Tarzan Club

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../51004/rec/309

What a great shot, FredH! Good kids excited over a wholesome hero (and free stuff). Sad that the Signal station is now a Liquor store. And Tarzan is nowhere to be seen. The building across the street is still there, though. It looks like it has been well cared for over the years. Curious why the signs were blacked-out on the original photo.

Imagine what would happen these days if a stranger tried to give a kid a free popsicle!
Here we see members of the kids Tarzan Club standing in the street in front of Bards movie theater in Pasadena. Evidently part of the club fun was to wear your skimpy Tarzan costume.

This theater later became the Academy Theater where I was a doorman in 1960-61.

Signal Oil 1933

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 8, 2014 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Tetsu;6484555]Great info, e_r! I was wondering about Swan's neighbor too. "H. Ridgeway" refers to Harry Ridgeway, the first registered architect in the city of Pasadena. A (relatively) good number of his works have survived around town, including the Lukens House at 267 S. El Molino:

CHRID

Hi, Tetsu! Forgive my pedantry, but that's 267 North El Molino. I know because I've spent many hours (well, minutes; I didn't want to get arrested or anything) staring at that lovely structure and fantasizing my living there. Such fantasies helped drive my desire to have the place we have now, less grand but just as old!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:37 PM

An impressive advertising graphic from 1954.

ebay

I couldn't find a full view of La Rue, but here's it's awning. (that's the world famous Trocadero nightclub across the street)

http://hollywoodphotographs.com/

La Rue interior

for more historical photographs visit the Bruce Torrence Hollywood Photograph Collection.
__

Thanks for the information on 'The Alhambra' FredH and Tetsu.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:54 PM

ebay

reverse of photograph

Ringle Photography Shop

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
M_P, thanks for the additional information on Monkey Island & Hanna-Barbera. -always interesting!
You're welcome, E_R. I guess I find it interesting because there isn't that one really good photo I've seen of the place in context. There's several close-up photos of the attraction and the really high aerials, but not one photo of the place in context of it's surroundings. (Like the one on the wall that was at Hanna-Barbera promises to be or the rendering of the place previously posted.) So I occasionally wonder about it.

I did find another aerial of this location...for what it's worth.

H.H.P.

It's dated 1949, a year after the Historic Aerials image. If Monkey Island is in the photo at all, by my estimation it's around where the "P" in Photos is located.

The others, for reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
[...]
I found this photo dated 1940 and I can't really tell if Monkey Island is in the bottom right hand corner. It might be just out of frame, but it's definitely Barham [...] crossing the freeway and Monkey Island should be just around the road there to the right a bit. ?

[...]

David Gebhard & Harriette Von Breton
Photo date: 1940

[...]

Here's the aerial to compare it to:

Quote:
1948:

historicaerials.com

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 8:09 PM
Comfortably Numb

LA Gigpan From the Getty Center

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 8:39 PM

This is the best shot I've found

Aerial view of Cahuenga Pass, December 30, 1939

This nice, clear aerial of the pass is dated a full year after the 'Island' opened for business. I've posted this before and I think it reasonably lays to rest the idea of Monkey Island ruins existing north of Barham Boulevard and east of what would become the freeway. There doesn't appear to be any construction in that location at a time the 'Island' was up and running. At the same time it does little to improve our quest for a clear image of the attraction and its relation to the immediate neighborhood. Because of the time it existed and the proliferation of vacationers and military men and women and the easy availability of small, affordable cameras, I have to believe the shot we're all looking for exists somewhere, a snapshot in a family scrapbook, a publicity still, something.

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:

I couldn't find a full view of La Rue, but here's it's awning. (that's the world famous Trocadero nightclub across the street)

I found a video of Sunset Strip in the 1940s on YouTube which I believe shows the outside of La Rue. The picture quality isn't great, but it's better than nothing.

YouTube/Ed Ruther

The same building in 1950. The sign over the door says "The Clearing House Of Information On Public Figures".

hollywoodphotographs.com

By 1973 it had become Holly's Harp, which I think was a clothing store.

hollywoodphotographs.com

Still there today.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:57 AM

I'm sure everyone remembers this mystery photo from back in January. It turned out to be Santa Monica Boulevard as seen from Orlando Avenue.

Quote:
ebay
While I was looking for pictures of La Rue earlier, I came across this 1928 aerial shot of the Bekins Storage building on Santa Monica Boulevard, and there are the stores on the right.

hollywoodphotographs.com

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found a video of Sunset Strip in the 1940s on YouTube which I believe shows the outside of La Rue. The picture quality isn't great, but it's better than nothing.

YouTube/Ed Ruther

The same building in 1950. The sign over the door says "The Clearing House Of Information On Public Figures".

hollywoodphotographs.com

By 1973 it had become Holly's Harp, which I think was a clothing store.

hollywoodphotographs.com

Still there today.

GSV
There is something totally strange about these images and it all has to do with the part of the building that has dormers on the roof. It's almost as if the negatives had been flipped with a couple of them, but that can't be the case as the names appear normal and not reversed. So what gives with this building?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post
There is something totally strange about these images and it all has to do with the part of the building that has dormers on the roof. It's almost as if the negatives had been flipped with a couple of them, but that can't be the case as the names appear normal and not reversed. So what gives with this building?
It's not an optical illusion, it's my mistake! I hadn't realized that there's a virtually identical set of buildings mirrored on the other side of Sunset Plaza Drive. The 1950 and 1973 pictures are actually the building below.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 2:03 AM

Quote:
It is a gathering of the Signal Oil Tarzan Club

1930's kids

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../51004/rec/309
She looks like Mary Ann Jackson of the Little Rascals.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...hovo1_1280.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos