HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 1:44 AM

Um--could it be because the tracks in large part were laid before there were any cars at all? The cars came, stealing business from LARy & PE, which then couldn't afford to study the problem much less make the changes necessary to provide safer waiting zones.... Cars ruled (still do), and anyone who could afford one was happy to give up PT anyway.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 2:23 AM

Excellent explanation GaylordWilshire. That's it in a nutshell.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 3:22 AM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpjr View Post
rbpjr....Many people are not aware that various and sundry parts of Los Angeles have decayed into Third World Status. We see it in this photo. I won't get into the reasons why but there's a reason.
I would love to hear the "reasons" from your point of view...[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
No, for the sake of the thread let's not go there please.
...Queue shameless plug...
The apolitical integrity of this thread should be maintained. My forum welcomes these sorts of conversations and debates.
http://www.arguewitheverybody.com/forum/forum.php

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 3:27 AM

Return to Pico and Norton

In August 2011 er showed us the SW corner of Pico and Norton:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4446

Here's the NW corner in May 2011:

GSV

And in 1926; you can see photographer Dick Whittington's car parked at left:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/68329/rec/24

1926 interior:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/68329/rec/24

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Life in the big city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Um--could it be because the tracks in large part were laid before there were any cars at all? The cars came, stealing business from LARy & PE, which then couldn't afford to study the problem much less make the changes necessary to provide safer waiting zones.... Cars ruled (still do), and anyone who could afford one was happy to give up PT anyway.
Hmm... I gather from your comment that PE and LA city fathers were mad at the ''stealing business'' car owners...so they decided to let the paying PT customers suffer the consequences.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Dec 23, 2013 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Excellent explanation GaylordWilshire. That's it in a nutshell.
That and the fact having two sets of tracks dictated weight balancing/equalization of the pickup lines between the supporting power polls. Going back to the days before automobiles many of the streets were not wide enough to provide great deal of space between the tracks and curbs without the tracks being quite close together in order to allow for horse drawn delivery wagons and carriages without blocking the street either side of the tracks.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Yes, Hoss, I see those island waiting zones in the middle of the street. Why some planning genius thought it was a good idea for people to jaywalk into the street and stand in an unprotected spot in the middle of the street while cars were speeding by on both sides is beyond me.
You would only have been making for the island platform nearest you, thus only having to cross one slow-moving lane of traffic. These outside lanes in either direction were probably intended just for very local traffic, rather than anyone intending to drive several miles or, for that matter, several blocks. Much of Santa Monica Boulevard between Westwood and Beverly Hills has recently been reconfigured in a very similar way, and it works quite well.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Dec 23, 2013 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The two-picture set at USC also includes this shot looking in the opposite direction, which I don't remember seeing before. Working along the horizon from the left, I think the spike that appears about 1/3 of the way to the first utility pole is the top of the Richfield building. City Hall must be just off the left edge.

USC Digital Library

Roughly in the center of the picture above is the Norton & Norton Electric Co.

Detail of picture above.

The roofline has been modified and the windows have been boarded up, but the building and Norton Electric are still there, 80 years later!

GSV
I think this building down Broadway is also still around. This building also appears in the famous footbridge chase scene in This Gun For Hire:

Here it is in Google Maps view. Looks like they kept the windows but stuccoed -- I think stucco is worse than bricks in the window, but it's all whatever these days:

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I went back to the archive.org video that flies over Hollywood and Vine, but I only got the blurry shot below. The hotel where the picture above was taken must be the building near the top left.

archive.org

The 1956 CD lists the Hotel Vermillion/Vermillion Hotel at 6162 Hollywood Boulevard. Back in the 1942 CD, the Hotel Regent was at 6162 Hollywood Boulevard.
I found a better view of the Hotel Regent in 'The Story of Hollywood: An Illustrated History' by Gregory Paul Williams. It also identifies the two-story building as the Strothers Mortuary.

books.google.com

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 12:46 PM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Norton Electric is still there! -excellent find HossC. fun stuff-

early business card
oldfile of mine
__
A search of a voter registration(1892-1894) indicates a William F. McBurney, harness maker. He was 36 years old at the time. This particular registration list shows that Mr McBurney was born in Canada and became a naturalized US citizen in 1891. It also gives his height at 5'6" and says that he has a dark complexion with blue eyes and dark hair. He is listed as living in Rosedale. All this extra information is very unusual in this kind of list.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 4:23 PM

Does anyone have an explanation or reason for the nature of the drainage system that is behind the sidewalks and significantly away from street surfaces? It would appear in the post card like image of the same era that the drainage system has been filled in, assuming it ever existed in the locale of the image. You'll have to go back up a couple of posts to see the open drainage. For some reason they did not get picked up with the "quote" function.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 4:50 PM

Yes HossC, but which window?

lol. I'm kidding ,but I wouldn't put it past you. -You're really good at this sort of thing.
__

Thanks for the information on Mr. McBurney oldstuff. -much appreciated.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 4:52 PM

Broadway history tours, historic preservation and Raymond Chandler's noir 1920s LA

Martin Pal's post about Broadway tours reminds me to share video of several recent free tours in the Broadway on My Mind series that Esotouric's Richard Schave has given, with some fascinating guest historians, following the free monthly LAVA Sunday Salon. These tours are meant to raise awareness of Broadway's delicate architectural ecosystem, which we believe is in danger of being harmed by forthcoming work on the Streetscape Master Plan. If you couldn't walk with us, we hope you can join us through the magic of the internet.

Tour #1 - July 2013: Guides are Nick Matonak (LA Historic Theatre Foundation), Mike the PoeT and Richard Schave (Esotouric/LAVA). South Broadway, between 6th and 8th Streets: Wurlitzer Building, St. Vincent Court, Palace Theater and Yorkshire Apartments.

Tour #2 - August 2013: Broadway on My Mind tour guides are Donald Spivack (CRA), Brian Kaiser (tile historian), Michelle Gerdes, Steve Gerdes & David Saffer (LA Historic Theatre Foundation), Mike the PoeT and Richard Schave & Kim Cooper (Esotouric/LAVA). South Broadway, between 5th and 6th Streets: theaters, retail, Ernest Batchelder's Dutch Chocolate Shop, Spring Arcade Building.

Tour #3 - September 2013: Broadway on My Mind tour guides are Donald Spivack (CRA), Nathan Marsak (aka beaudry - On Bunker Hill/1947project), Ed Rosenthal (the poet broker) and Richard Schave (Esotouric/LAVA), with a musical interlude from Flannery Lunsford. South Broadway, between 9th and 8th Streets: theaters, retail, Clifton's Cafeteria, Hamburger's Department Store, Eastern Columbia Building, United Artists Theatre.

The walking tour series is on a brief hiatus, but if you're interested in offbeat LA faith, this Sunday's free talk on Aleister Crowley's OTO may intrigue. Coming soon: video from the Poem Noir edition of Broadway on My Mind, featuring poets reading their darkest verses in the Bradbury Building!

Every year, Esotouric curates a survey of the state of historic preservation in Los Angeles, with ten success stories, ten losses, and five bittersweet situations that teeter in the middle. 25 for 2013 is here.

Finally, just wanted to pull the collective Noirish LA sleeve to The Kept Girl, the fact-based mystery novel starring the young Raymond Chandler, his devoted secretary, and the real-life LA cop who is a likely model for Philip Marlowe, on the trail of a cult of murderous angel worshippers. The book is available for Subscription to the deluxe edition through Christmas, and available in all the usual places on February 1. You can expect some very noirish readings and blog posts to accompany the release. Book newsletter link is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I have not seen Race/LA mentioned on this forum thread before; do any of you guys know about it?... I decided to mention it today because of this announcement... City of Los Angeles asks Race/LA to create new "Best of Broadway" CityRace....Hope this is of interest to those who frequent this thread. Perhaps we could inspire them to do a Noirish L.A. Race! I don't think they've done one at night before!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:58 PM

Streetcar Safety Loading Zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Yes, Hoss, I see those island waiting zones in the middle of the street. Why some planning genius thought it was a good idea for people to jaywalk into the street and stand in an unprotected spot in the middle of the street while cars were speeding by on both sides is beyond me.
Close up of Safety Zone LAPD marked "Mushroom" at LAPD Museum. I used those loading zones many times, I though little of it, just had to use caution. I even sold newspapers in them as a kid. I have been looking for one of these for my collection for years.

Photo from Sam Flowers Collection

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:22 PM

Thanks for providing the links to the walking tours esotouric. I love the cover graphic for your novel. It's extremely well done.
__

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:25 PM

Thank you, ethereal. The cover is by Paul Rogers, who has a wonderful eye for old Los Angeles.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:42 PM

You're welcome Kim. I hope it's a great success.

Three Tanner Gray Line Motor Coaches --->
ebay

Where do you suppose this was taken?
__

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
You would only have been making for the island platform nearest you, thus only having to cross one slow-moving lane of traffic. These outside lanes in either direction were probably intended just for very local traffic, rather than anyone intending to drive several miles or, for that matter, several blocks. Much of Santa Monica Boulevard between Westwood and Beverly Hills has recently been reconfigured in a very similar way, and it works quite well.
I would point out there was not sufficient space between the sets of rails to placed platform. When two cars passed one another there probably wasn't more than two to three feet separating them.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 8:00 PM

I like the shape of this room for millinery in the downtown Bullock's Department Store.

__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos