HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 6:58 PM
Deepstar's Avatar
Deepstar Deepstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Just saw the rendering for the "Edmontonian" proposal.... makes this thing look silly.
Actually, the Edmontonian is the silly proposal. While a neat looking tower, the difference is that 3EC is a serious proposal that will get built, the Edmontonian is just a pie in the sky conceptual proposal, and won't get built.
__________________
City Centre Webcam
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 9:51 PM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,006
^^ You may think it's a silly proposal! It's because it's extremely tall for that part of the city. Granted, the chances of this getting built as is are pretty slim! Having said that, maybe some of the folks that post regularly don't like it because it's not being proposed in their city!
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
Deepstar's Avatar
Deepstar Deepstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
^^ You may think it's a silly proposal! It's because it's extremely tall for that part of the city. Granted, the chances of this getting built as is are pretty slim! Having said that, maybe some of the folks that post regularly don't like it because it's not being proposed in their city!
Most of the people from Edmonton aren't taking it seriously either. I have nothing against the design, and would be happy to see it built here, but I doubt it would get built here either.
__________________
City Centre Webcam
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:40 PM
JBinCalgary's Avatar
JBinCalgary JBinCalgary is offline
Original Member since '99
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,633
Love it, this will be a huge addition the city, skyline and the west end which is cluttered with rectangular drivel
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 6:04 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 13,306
Stoked for this one. So much height for the West End.
__________________
Alberta 2014 - 4.2 million | Calgary 2014 - 1.5 million | Edmonton 2014 - 1.4 million
Alberta 2024 - 5.2 million | Calgary 2024 - 2.0 million | Edmonton 2024 - 1.8 million

Fortis et liber
Strong & free
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:35 AM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 15,778
This and Eau Claire tower going up is going to change the look of that area quite dramatically.
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 9:07 PM
geotag277 geotag277 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,011
Any update on this tower? I heard it might have run into financial difficulties and may have changed hands recently.
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 10:01 PM
Deepstar's Avatar
Deepstar Deepstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Any update on this tower? I heard it might have run into financial difficulties and may have changed hands recently.
I was by there on Friday and there was some work going on. There was a change of developer but that was a whole ago
__________________
City Centre Webcam
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 1:10 AM
Doug_Cgy Doug_Cgy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I was by there on Friday and there was some work going on. There was a change of developer but that was a whole ago
Who's the developer now? I've heard this tower has actually had much success with sales.
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 1:31 AM
Design-mind's Avatar
Design-mind Design-mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,034
There is work going on They have striped the parking lot and have dug a trough around the perimeter.

     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:51 PM
ST1 ST1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,025
I'm quite excited to see this one under construction
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:04 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
I'm quite excited to see this one under construction
I'm excited about how this will change / diversify the city skyline from the north, but am not a fan of the micro-units. Would never live there, but am looking forward to someone or the other inviting me up to the amenities bridge in the future.
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:21 PM
geotag277 geotag277 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I'm excited about how this will change / diversify the city skyline from the north, but am not a fan of the micro-units. Would never live there, but am looking forward to someone or the other inviting me up to the amenities bridge in the future.
I feel the same way. I would never live there, but I hope they build it.

I understand why they are going with tiny unit sizes, to keep cost down and the units affordable.

I think a lot of developers are using Arriva as an example of a building where the demand for large sq-ft units wasn't there and they have been a bit scared off to offer higher sq ft units regularly.
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:48 PM
Design-mind's Avatar
Design-mind Design-mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I feel the same way. I would never live there, but I hope they build it.

I understand why they are going with tiny unit sizes, to keep cost down and the units affordable.

I think a lot of developers are using Arriva as an example of a building where the demand for large sq-ft units wasn't there and they have been a bit scared off to offer higher sq ft units regularly.
At some point the balance will tip as the younger condo dwellers who start having kids will not want to give up being close to the core. Larger units will then start to sell, just as they do in larger cities.
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 11:08 PM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,006
Damn shadowing restrictions..... this could have been a single 60+ story tower. I think they might be having a problem selling the residential units. Still say the area could have something better.... Just my opinion.
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 11:37 PM
Doug_Cgy Doug_Cgy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 986
Has something happened to leave reason of doubt on this tower? Seems most are negative about it. Last I heard office portion was 100% leased and phase 1 of tower residential was 75-80% sold.
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:34 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Has something happened to leave reason of doubt on this tower? Seems most are negative about it. Last I heard office portion was 100% leased and phase 1 of tower residential was 75-80% sold.
Until the thing is built there is always a shadow. Rockford developments was building a condo on McLeod trail, it sold out, but they had to cancel since they under priced it. Midtown Towers also got to 80% sold, but ended up cancelled.

3 Eau Claire was scheduled to start building in summer, it's now November and they still haven't broken ground yet, and news from the development team has been relatively quiet.

It's a good sign that there has been recent activity at the site though. I would think will all the commercial partnerships they have it would make sense for them to go forward.
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:57 AM
Doug_Cgy Doug_Cgy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Until the thing is built there is always a shadow. Rockford developments was building a condo on McLeod trail, it sold out, but they had to cancel since they under priced it. Midtown Towers also got to 80% sold, but ended up cancelled.

3 Eau Claire was scheduled to start building in summer, it's now November and they still haven't broken ground yet, and news from the development team has been relatively quiet.

It's a good sign that there has been recent activity at the site though. I would think will all the commercial partnerships they have it would make sense for them to go forward.
I heard the delay was more on permits from city. I guess time will tell...
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 5:21 AM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 15,778
It's getting built. There was some behind the scenes holdups, but it's going ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Until the thing is built there is always a shadow. Rockford developments was building a condo on McLeod trail, it sold out, but they had to cancel since they under priced it. Midtown Towers also got to 80% sold, but ended up cancelled.

3 Eau Claire was scheduled to start building in summer, it's now November and they still haven't broken ground yet, and news from the development team has been relatively quiet.

It's a good sign that there has been recent activity at the site though. I would think will all the commercial partnerships they have it would make sense for them to go forward.
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 7:45 AM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,006
We'll see.... Redesign!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.