HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:06 AM

Captains Table on La Cienega just north of Beverly Blvd, 1955

Found this picture on ebay. Does anyone know any details of the Captains Table Restaurant? I did a search on line and it looks like it was at 301 S. La Cienega where the current day mini-mall housing Subway is located on the southwest corner of La Cienega and Third. But this photo makes it looks like it was located further north, on the opposite side of the street, north of Beverly Blvd. approximately where Real Food Daily stands today.

Update: I stupidly did not look closely at the sign. It says "Go Back". Clearly, Captains Table WAS at 301 S. La Cienega and this is the picture of the sign reminding the driver that you have just PASSED it. Better get stronger reading glasses.

Original posting: eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-PHOTO-19...item58a6a228e0

Last edited by OLeander5-5225; Oct 28, 2013 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
These other slides were including in the group.

These last two are pretty much a mystery to me.

ebay

especially this one.
ebay
__
Oh boy, I get to help!

The first photo above is the junction of Cañada Blvd. and Verdugo Rd. in Glendale. The picture was taken from the front lawn of Glendale College facing approximately NW.

The next photo, actually, appears to have been taken from the same location, except this time facing SW. The building across Verdugo Rd. in the distance is the Glendale Civic Auditorium, with the building for the old municipal swimming pool in front of it.

I would say these pictures were taken in 1962 or 63. I know that the gas station being built on the wedge between Cañada and Verdugo was in operation by mid-1964.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Oct 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM. Reason: Edited sentence obviated by looking at preview of my post.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:57 AM

Antonio Maria Lugo adobe on San Pedro Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Here's an 1854 map of the Antonio Maria Lugo vineyard on the "Road to San Pedro," later San Pedro Street. The 1819 adobe is in the extreme lower left corner of the map:

Huntington Digital Library -- http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...id/11676/rec/1

The portion of the map with the adobe, closer up and reoriented:

Maria Merced Lugo de Foster was the daughter of Antonio Maria Lugo. She married Stephen Foster, alcalde/mayor of Los Angeles 1848-49. Their daughter Carrie married Wallace Woodworth, to whom Lugo deeded the homestead property on November 24, 1857. More about Antonio Maria Lugo and his family here: http://books.google.com/books?id=gAc...20lugo&f=false

The area ("W. Woodworth") on the 1884 Stephenson Map. Mayo Street will later be renamed 3rd Street:

Calisphere -- http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/hb3s2008sd/?order=1

The Lugo Adobe on the 1888 Sanborn Map, with the Woodworth home just below it. Second Street has been put through the property at lower right:

LAPL

The Lugo Adobe c. 1885. Starting at the right front corner (next to the left entrance/driveway marker) and going back, I count at least 13 posts/columns. In the distance, facing the camera may be the slanted roof of the carriage house indicated on the Sanborn Map:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...d/25330/rec/62

This is also supposed to be a c. 1885 photo of the Lugo Adobe. The picket fence matches the photo above, but I don't see those palm trees in other photos:

LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/00081/00081446.jpg

Here's a section of the adobe in c. 1900-02:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/2636/rec/66

The area on the 1906 Sanborn Map:

LAPL

The entrance/driveway markers in this c. 1910 photo match the ones in the first c. 1885 photo. Starting from the right front corner and going back, I count only 10 posts/columns (you'll see why in the next photo):

The Quarterly / Historical Society of Southern California (1914) -- http://books.google.com/books?id=gF4...street&f=false

Near the end, c. 1910. San Pedro Street has been extended from 1st to 2nd, demolishing the old Woodworth house and the rear portion of the Lugo Adobe, leaving the carriage house on the east side of the new street:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/4014/rec/73

Another notable property in the c. 1910 aerial photo is 243 S. San Pedro, a brick house built perhaps as early as 1853 by Dr. William A. Hammel (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14907).

215 S. San Pedro was the home of Louis Breer, a longtime Los Angeles blacksmith. Breer built a brick house on the property in about the mid-1860s; an older adobe home that was to the left of the brick house may also be in the aerial photo. Here he is listed among the blacksmiths in the Los Angeles City Directory of 1908 -- his 80th year:

Fold3.com

The brick home survived until at least 1940; here it is on the 1940 WPA Model of Los Angeles:

Photo by me

A wider view:

Photo also by me

Louis Breer's son Carl, at age 18, built a replica Stanley Steamer and went on to be one of the founding engineers of the Chrysler Corporation: http://books.google.com/books?id=_dj...ksmith&f=false

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jun 23, 2014 at 5:33 AM. Reason: adjust date of Breer brick home

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLeander5-5225 View Post
Found this picture on ebay. Does anyone know any details of the Captains Table Restaurant? I did a search on line and it looks like it was at 301 S. La Cienega where the current day mini-mall housing Subway is located on the southwest corner of La Cienega and Third. But this photo makes it looks like it was located further north, on the opposite side of the street, north of Beverly Blvd. approximately where Real Food Daily stands today.

Update: I stupidly did not look closely at the sign. It says "Go Back". Clearly, Captains Table WAS at 301 S. La Cienega and this is the picture of the sign reminding the driver that you have just PASSED it. Better get stronger reading glasses.

Original posting: eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-PHOTO-19...item58a6a228e0
It's actually further north than Real Food Daily. There aren't many business names to work with here, but the enlargements provided by the Ebay seller helped out. The insets are from the 1956 City Directory.

The building on the right is The Diners' Club, which was at 910 N La Cienega in 1956. The address is now occupied by Szalon, a Hungarian Art Deco/Modernist furniture store.

Picture: Ebay/Inset: rescarta.lapl.org

On the left is Canyon Cleaners & Dyers at 937 N La Cienega. The sign is on the sidewalk to the left of the truck. The current building was closed when the Google car went by, but it's now the OHWOW art gallery.

There's a Motor Hotel sign to the left of the Old Crow billboard, but I can't see a name.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 3:22 PM

The first mystery picture appears to be somewhere south of the LA River looking toward Burbank. You can see a bridge to the left of the signs. It would be in the Glendale area (or Silverlake)

The second picture is definitely a view of the Glendale Civic Auditorium looking west from Glendale College ( the sloping grass area in the foreground) The street would be Verdugo Road, just above where Mountain crosses it

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
The first mystery picture appears to be somewhere south of the LA River looking toward Burbank. You can see a bridge to the left of the signs. It would be in the Glendale area (or Silverlake)

The second picture is definitely a view of the Glendale Civic Auditorium looking west from Glendale College ( the sloping grass area in the foreground) The street would be Verdugo Road, just above where Mountain crosses it

Which post are you referring to?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

There's a Motor Hotel sign to the left of the Old Crow billboard, but I can't see a name.
The hotel sign to the "right" of the Old Crow billboard is definitely from the Alta Cienega Motor Hotel that e_r recently posted about, as seen in this previously posted photo from 1969:

all photos in this post: RayandRobby

Postcard:

This other photo has a sign that says "Motel" on the corner. I haven't seen any mention of a motel there although it looks like there could be.

The Phone Booth Restaurant sign turns out to be, well they served food, but apparently it was primarily a strip club and bar.

And the building across the street, which you glimpse in the lower right hand corner of the color photo, was another strip club called "The Extension."

Down the street on Santa Monica another block was another (infamous?) motor hotel, which contained "Duke's Coffee Shop.":

The Tropicana (Or TRIPicana as some called it) area was redeveloped and is now the site of a Ramada and parking, along with restaurants and retail establishments. Duke's Coffee shop relocated to Sunset Blvd.!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:58 PM

Until just a minute ago, I had no idea that over the years one of the several owners of
the Tropicana was Sandy Koufax and it was known as Sandy Koufax Tropicana.
(And even though I was around there in the 80's, I didn't know it had a pool, either!)

Ebay / dodgersblueheaven

Hmmm...wonder why Sandy had a motel of his own in West Hollywood?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Thanks for those links. Loved the menu...Dino's sounds like my kinda place!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 6:18 PM

Presumably Koufax bought the motel just as an investment... anyway, a few bits from the Times:

June 17, 1962

Feb 5, 1964

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
The hotel sign to the "right" of the Old Crow billboard is definitely from the Alta Cienega Motor Hotel that e_r recently posted about, as seen in this previously posted photo from 1969:

all photos in this post: RayandRobby

Postcard:

Thanks for connecting the posts together, Martin. That roof sign on the Alta Cienega postcard looks like a good match for the Motor Hotel sign to the left of the billboard. e_r's post on the Alta Cienega Motor Hotel can be found here.

Ebay

Just to increase their clarity, I've tweaked the levels of the Phone Booth pictures.

Originals from RayandRobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Down the street on Santa Monica another block was another (infamous?) motor hotel, which contained "Duke's Coffee Shop.":

The Tropicana (Or TRIPicana as some called it) area was redeveloped and is now the site of a Ramada and parking, along with restaurants and retail establishments. Duke's Coffee shop relocated to Sunset Blvd.!
There's more info on The Tropicana, Duke's Coffee Shop and Tom Waits at www.tomwaitsfan.com.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:52 PM

Thank you Otis Criblecobis and oldstuff for the information on the two photos I posted. -much appreciated.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:21 PM

Here's a great slide of the Plaza Church. pan right-->
ebay

Can anyone help me out with a date?
-I am unable to do it by looking at the automobile and buses, but I know a lot of you can.

Think how many years school children have been visiting the Plaza. -pretty cool
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:25 PM

Pershing Square/date unknown
ebay

-back when it actually looked like a park.
ebay
__

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:29 PM

This was also included in the plaza church/pershing square slide 'group'. -be sure to pan--->
ebay

At first glance I thought Olvera Street, but I don't recognize the building in the back ground. (City Hall?)

Here's another one..

A park/pond other than Pershing Square. Where might this be?
ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
ebay

-I am unable to do it by looking at the automobile and buses, but I know a lot of you can.
I'll give it a try .

I think the gray car is a 1940 Ford, and the school bus in front of the church is an REO like the one below in a 1948 brochure.

Ebay

Last edited by HossC; Oct 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 10:35 PM

(QUOTE=ethereal_reality) This was also included in the plaza church/pershing square slide 'group'. -be sure to pan--->
ebay

At first glance I thought Olvera Street, but I don't recognize the building in the back ground. (City Hall?)

Yes this is city hall @ethereal_reality. its the Spring street entrance which is no longer in use mostly used for Filming!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 12:24 AM

Thanks revheavyg. It was a lucky guess on my part.
__

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
ebay

Think how many years school children have been visiting the Plaza. -pretty cool
__

The Ford Convertible in the photo would be either a 1939 or 1940 model. Hard to say for certain as there were few only minor differences in appearance between the two years.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think the gray car is a 1940 Ford, and the school bus in front of the church is an REO like the one below in a 1948 brochure.

Ebay
Interesting HossC. I wonder about the other bus in the slide. To me it looks much more modern than the REO bus,
-with it's 'flat' front (for lack of a better description)

As always, I appreciate the help.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos