HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:01 PM

It's beyond me how anyone could think this nondescript banality of a tower is an adequate replacement for the iconic twins or an appropriate architectural response to 9/11, such as was found, for example, in Foster's majestic Kissing Towers.

This is typical David Childs crap. How sad.

Go ahead, dump all over this post. I won't be reading any responses, though, so you're wasting your time.

Amazing how lemmings can be induced to fall over the cliff of conformity.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 7:52 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
It's beyond me how anyone could think this nondescript banality of a tower is an adequate replacement for the iconic twins or an appropriate architectural response to 9/11, such as was found, for example, in Foster's majestic Kissing Towers.

Go ahead, dump all over this post. I won't be reading any responses, though, so you're wasting your time.

Yay for trolling! I think it's a gorgeous tower, plus the new technology being used to construct it and make it safer than any other building on the planet makes it even more symbolic.

Once the entire complex is built out, I don't think anyone will be able to deny the beauty.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:

Yes because two giant grey boxes are just wonders of beauty....

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 1:47 AM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Yes because two giant grey boxes are just wonders of beauty....
They were more than that. Far more.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:20 PM

The tower is a total bore, no matter how many beautiful photos of it have been posted (and the photography in this thread has been exquisite).

It's a soulless corporate icicle, a vertical morgue for cubicle monkeys, without the slightest nod to the events of 9/11. As a replacement for the Twins it is a disgrace. Anyone can see that the toothpick on top is laughably out of proportion to the tower below. The radome would have alleviated that, but still could not have saved this hapless tower. Too bad New York failed to architecturally honor the events of 9/11.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 8:15 PM

Truly you have a dizzying intellect.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
The tower is a total bore, no matter how many beautiful photos of it have been posted (and the photography in this thread has been exquisite).

It's a soulless corporate icicle, a vertical morgue for cubicle monkeys, without the slightest nod to the events of 9/11. As a replacement for the Twins it is a disgrace. Anyone can see that the toothpick on top is laughably out of proportion to the tower below. The radome would have alleviated that, but still could not have saved this hapless tower. Too bad New York failed to architecturally honor the events of 9/11.
The tower obviously echoes the original Twins, especially towards the top. The towers height is the same as the original twins. There is a massive, beautiful memorial at its base. You're in no position to be talking about "honoring 9/11". You may or may not know this, but many "cubicle monkeys" died on 9/11, doing their jobs, just like so many other New Yorkers in skyscrapers all throughout the city. I'm just going to assume you're a troll.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 9:02 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
Truly you have a dizzying intellect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
You're in no position to be talking about "honoring 9/11". You may or may not know this, but many "cubicle monkeys" died on 9/11, doing their jobs, just like so many other New Yorkers in skyscrapers all throughout the city. I'm just going to assume you're a troll.
Seriously? Let the guy have his opinion.

Get over yourselves and don't be so sensitive to opinions you don't agree with. This is a discussion board, what do you expect?

Oh and the "spire" looks like shit.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 9:48 PM

Funny how the originals, which were not considered spectacular in design by any stretch of the imagination, have been lauded as such now. I thought they were pretty, but they really didn't have as much character as old style buildings, such as the Empire State Building, and the Chrysler Building. This new tower, at least ,is beautiful in its own right. Certainly no worse that the originals.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
Funny how the originals, which were not considered spectacular in design by any stretch of the imagination, have been lauded as such now.
Because in hindsight things are often greater than they actually were and there certainly wasn't much great about those giant, featureless twins, other than their staggering size/presence.

Not long after 9/11 I made the mistake of saying on this forum that the destruction of the twin towers was the one thing I liked that the terrorists did, they removed the horrible architectural blight they were and I was treated like I was one of the 19 hijackers. I was only talking about the buildings but people here didn't seem to get that and pilloried me mercilessly.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:21 AM
Come As You Are

No wonder they treated you like that. Happy that iconic buildings were destroyed simply because you yourself found them visually unattractive.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This was, by far, the most attractive design, in my opinion.
I like that design, but it seems near impossible to build. especially with the angles making the building very thin in some places and wide at others.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 2:29 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:

Didn't you just say in your previous post you wouldn't come back to answer?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
In other words, they don't wanna hear anything related to twins because it hurts their inner feelings, or some sort of PTSD that wants to avoid any form of twins.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't do it because it 'hurts my feeiings'. It's a building, it's not something to get emotionally invested over unless youu built it yourself. I do it because I live in this little place called reality land. A place where you can't spend tousands of dollarts to demolish foundations, subway lines, underground tunnels etc. Just to build a banal twin which in the end will look quite tacky anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
The terrorists had dreamed [U]the world without twin towers
Also, where did this wierd urban myth come from? The terrorists did not do 9/11 because they wanted the twins gone, they did it because of U.S foreign policy. The twins had nothing to do with it, it would just leave a bigger impact because they were so big.

I just never understood where this came from.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 6:07 PM

Keep Hope Alive for the Future 2 W.T.C.

I am a visitor and fan of the Skyscraper Page since right after the horrifying attack of September 2001. Needless to say, the legacy that day will be the darkest and most unforgettable in my hometown city's history. Through this web-site, which is wonderful and professional, I analyzed and poured over the proposals and designs for the new World Trade Center site and learned a lot. Of particular interest is the forums and discussions, specifically the new World Trade Center Buildings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. What ever is to become of Building 6, I haven't a clue.

I have firmly believed and hoped that the original TWIN TOWERS or TWO Freedom Towers (a.k.a. 1 WTCs) is what should have been built to replace what was senselessly lost on 9/11. It would have saved us all a lot of indecisiveness, infighting and delay. That was my hope.

However, with regard to Skyscraper Page, I have never joined in the discussion or posted a single thread message. Why? I don't know. I guess seeing how 3 WTC is now hanging in the balance at the mercy of this utterly contemptful Port Authority and it's inability to vote on the proposal set before it has me in a rage. I wonder if the PA will ever bring 3 WTC's future to a vote. I must finally speak out. It also bothers me that no one has posted a message to 2 WTC forum since March. I feel like 2 WTC might be lost to us skyscraper fans and supporters if 3 WTC sits unfinished. So my very first post is dedicated to 2 WTC and it's future.

Last year, I was so happy and thrilled to hear that Group M Worldwide Media signed on to become the anchor tenant for 3 WTC, and that the build-out of that building would proceed. I never liked the fact that 3 WTC was reduced in height and it's originally designed John Hancock tower-like X bracing was removed. What a let down. If I ever could ask but one question to Larry Silverstein, it would be WHY? Why change the design and scale of Tower 3? So now, I am afraid that the longer 2 WTC sits by the wayside, some idiotic similar idea to change its design or scale back its size might be introduced.

2 WTC should become what it is always meant to be:. the un-identical TWIN of 1 WTC/Freedom Tower. Same colors, same windows and preserving the height, girth and scale of it to rival Tower 1. But 2 WTC's most striking and beautiful feature, it's crystalline top, must be kept in all it's glory. As the previous post said, it's so mechanical and mysterious, alien-like that nothing in New York could rival it.

I spent my whole life living in Queens and the last dozen or so years working and commuting to downtown. I am only a barely ten minute walk to the World Trade Center. I have put a lot of thought process into this issue of re-building. Of all the people who I know and care about, my family, friends and co-workers and associates, I seem to be the only one who has knowledge and interest in the ongoing re-building efforts and I am the one to inform them of the updates and changes to the World Trade Center and its new towers. But its disturbing that the years keep going by faster and faster and with all due respect, Larry Silverstein is not getting any younger. Neither are we.

The future to building 2 World Trade Center is inextricably linked to the completion of 3 World trade Center. I guarantee if Tower 3 is given the go ahead to finish and get all construction workers back on the job, then eventually the focus and attention will shift to getting Tower 2 back on track and being built. I do not want to have to wait until the end of this decade or the beginning of the next decade 2020 to seeing 2 WTC being built.

We MUST get 3 World Trade Center and then 2 World Trade Center built sooner rather than later.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 9:17 PM
weidncol

^^ Welcome to SSP. If I were you, I would send that message to the PA if we really want to get anywhere. Unfortunately, nothing will ever happen if you only talk out on a forum.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 5:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrownedWorld View Post
I am a visitor and fan of the Skyscraper Page since right after the horrifying attack of September 2001. Needless to say, the legacy that day will be the darkest and most unforgettable in my hometown city's history. Through this web-site, which is wonderful and professional, I analyzed and poured over the proposals and designs for the new World Trade Center site and learned a lot. Of particular interest is the forums and discussions, specifically the new World Trade Center Buildings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. What ever is to become of Building 6, I haven't a clue.

I have firmly believed and hoped that the original TWIN TOWERS or TWO Freedom Towers (a.k.a. 1 WTCs) is what should have been built to replace what was senselessly lost on 9/11. It would have saved us all a lot of indecisiveness, infighting and delay. That was my hope.

However, with regard to Skyscraper Page, I have never joined in the discussion or posted a single thread message. Why? I don't know. I guess seeing how 3 WTC is now hanging in the balance at the mercy of this utterly contemptful Port Authority and it's inability to vote on the proposal set before it has me in a rage. I wonder if the PA will ever bring 3 WTC's future to a vote. I must finally speak out. It also bothers me that no one has posted a message to 2 WTC forum since March. I feel like 2 WTC might be lost to us skyscraper fans and supporters if 3 WTC sits unfinished. So my very first post is dedicated to 2 WTC and it's future.

Last year, I was so happy and thrilled to hear that Group M Worldwide Media signed on to become the anchor tenant for 3 WTC, and that the build-out of that building would proceed. I never liked the fact that 3 WTC was reduced in height and it's originally designed John Hancock tower-like X bracing was removed. What a let down. If I ever could ask but one question to Larry Silverstein, it would be WHY? Why change the design and scale of Tower 3? So now, I am afraid that the longer 2 WTC sits by the wayside, some idiotic similar idea to change its design or scale back its size might be introduced.

2 WTC should become what it is always meant to be:. the un-identical TWIN of 1 WTC/Freedom Tower. Same colors, same windows and preserving the height, girth and scale of it to rival Tower 1. But 2 WTC's most striking and beautiful feature, it's crystalline top, must be kept in all it's glory. As the previous post said, it's so mechanical and mysterious, alien-like that nothing in New York could rival it.

I spent my whole life living in Queens and the last dozen or so years working and commuting to downtown. I am only a barely ten minute walk to the World Trade Center. I have put a lot of thought process into this issue of re-building. Of all the people who I know and care about, my family, friends and co-workers and associates, I seem to be the only one who has knowledge and interest in the ongoing re-building efforts and I am the one to inform them of the updates and changes to the World Trade Center and its new towers. But its disturbing that the years keep going by faster and faster and with all due respect, Larry Silverstein is not getting any younger. Neither are we.

The future to building 2 World Trade Center is inextricably linked to the completion of 3 World trade Center. I guarantee if Tower 3 is given the go ahead to finish and get all construction workers back on the job, then eventually the focus and attention will shift to getting Tower 2 back on track and being built. I do not want to have to wait until the end of this decade or the beginning of the next decade 2020 to seeing 2 WTC being built.

We MUST get 3 World Trade Center and then 2 World Trade Center built sooner rather than later.

I agree. 3 World Trade Center needs to get finished already so when can move on to 2 World Trade Center.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 6:11 PM
BANNED

I'm glad with what we are getting at the WTC after reading some posts of this thread. Were those absolutely disgusting designs real? from renowned architects?? I can't believe it...

Anywho I'm still confused about 5 WTC. Is there something there now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post

Last edited by Perklol; May 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I'm glad with what we are getting at the WTC after reading some posts of this thread. Were those absolutely disgusting designs real from renowned architects? I can't believe it...

Anywho I'm still confused about 5 WTC. Is there something there now?
I was the old Deutsche Bank building that was damaged beyond repair on 9/11.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...utscheBank.jpg

Now plans are still up in the air and not finalized, i feel like it will be built
last.

Heres the previous design.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/9421/30680643ta3.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 11:20 PM
BANNED

^ Thanks for the info.

That is quite an attractive office building. Shame it didn't make it
Delaying that tower (5 World Trade) would benefit 2,3 WTC. Those need to get finished soon.

Oh, will 5WTC be another office building?

Edit: I found an answer while looking at the 5 wtc thread!!

Quote:
Unlike the World Trade Center land, which can only be used for commercial development, Site 5 can be used for apartments, a hotel or offices.

"The site would be most valuable if it supported apartments with a hotel on the lower floors," said Robert Von Ancken, chairman of Landauer Valuation & Advisory, a division of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank.

A combined hotel and apartments could sell for between $135 million and $150 million, based on comparable sales in the area, the height of the building and the market at the time, he said.
Imagine another taller 30 Park Place at this site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture