HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Yes, the dates could vary by several years in either direction (we see that sort of thing all the time) but I think the side board advertising has expanded with the 'Coca Cola' advertising in the '08 image which would mean the White Star soap image was painted over while the smaller black (appearing) signage nearer the front of the store goes the other way, ie larger in the earlier pic and smaller in the later one. although, now that I say that, the smaller square above the black signage could very well have been a separate, portable sign, maybe printed on tin and therefore not actually part of the wall painting. Of course none of that explains the sudden expansion of the telephone crossmembers.
Doesn't soap usually follow spilled cola? Not sure, but the dirt roadway may have received some grading in the soap photo. But that could be due to intervening weather or maybe the roadway debris makes it seem like someone was sweeping.

Any idea what is directly behind the grocery store? Business or residence? I think I see a balcony with flower bins or small shrubs. In either case, it looks more substantial and better executed than the grocery store.

Landscaped balcony?

For sale or lease. 207 Broadway?

USC Digital

Levitating building and possible road improvement?
USC Digital

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

Any idea what is directly behind the grocery store? Business or residence? I think I see a balcony with flower bins or small shrubs. In either case, it looks more substantial and better executed than the grocery store.[/URL]
I've always assumed it was a residence although it seems an odd place for a house directly behind the grocery unless it is the proprietor's abode. in any event it seems to be up for sale or lease. if that says 201 or 207 n. Broadway, the agent's right around the corner.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:06 PM

USCDL

Facing south on the east side of Vermont Avenue at 74th Street, 1931: Combs Buick was part of the now-forlorn commercial strip of Vermont that we've seen at least one element of here before: the great Hattem's. I haven't found any pictures of the Combs Buick building itself (7326 S Vermont/955 W 74th); I thought we'd covered the Congress Theatre down the street at 7510 S Vermont, but I couldn't find any posts on it, so here it is:

GSV

2011 above; 1983 below. Can anyone find a vintage shot?

ACI

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:42 PM

Speaking of Buick . . .

Broadway in Glendale. No date or cross street. Appears to be a mission-style mortuary next to a fire station.
Lapl

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:55 PM

1930 - 1363 Figueroa Street "The place for roller bearings!" Notice Buick dealer to the left.

USCDigital

USC digital

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
Exterior of the Wilshire Theatre, designed by S. Charles Lee and built between 1928-1930. This classic Art Deco structure, located at 8440 Wilshire, originally operated under the Fox theater chain and includes a 2,500 seat auditorium, a tower with residential and office space (no longer used), and commercial space on the ground floor.

Wikipedia

1931 - Ground floor, east of main theater entrance.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9367

USC Digital

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:37 PM

1930 - 4th and Vermont , Caliente Golf Park.

Curious log cabin structure near the auto laundry (bottom)? Part of Golf Park?

USC Digital

USC Digital

USC Digital

Last edited by BifRayRock; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:49 PM

1931 - Shatto and West 6th.
Beth Tantum's stuffed figs? Interesting chimneys. Designed before Richter developed his scale?

USCDigital

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:59 PM

From a series chronicling zoning and traffic code violations.

1931 - More of Fourth Street, Vermont, etc. The makings of another slough? Exact address unk.

USC Digital

A Bit of Sweden (to the left)? Interesting uniforms.

USC Digital

Last edited by BifRayRock; Feb 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:42 PM

1931 - Shatto and Wilshire

Too late to save her?

USC Digital

CE Wheeler, MD Surgeon and Endocrinologist. No directory listing in '29 or '32?

USC Digital

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Unvarnished Noir 1922

USC Digital

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:41 AM

Pico and Sepulveda

One of the things continually running through my mind when I'm perusing this thread with all the street names and locations is the 1947 song Pico and Sepulveda, written by Jule Styne and Eddie Maxwell, and performed by Freddy Martin (under the pseudonym "Felix Figueroa & His Orchestra").

Click to play (courtesy of Tumblr)

It probably has to do with hearing my dad sing it so many times as we drove around LA on our Summer trips. Maybe if you grew up in the area with all these names as part of your daily vocabulary (and without the parental singing) the connection doesn't happen, but I can't help but wonder how many other folks are familiar with it.

I was disappointed to find so little of interest at the actual intersection of Pico and Sepulveda, but then again, the song does say "where nobody's dreams come true" ...although that may just be referring to the actual tar pits

Quote:
(Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)
Doheny, (Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)
Cahuenga, (Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)
La Brea… (Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)
…Tar Pits (Pico and Sepulveda)
(Tar Pits!)

La Jolla, (Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)
Sequoia, (Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)
…Tar Pits (Pico and Sepulveda)
(Tar Pits!)

You can keep Alvarado, Santa Monica,
even Beverly Drive.

Vine may be fine,
but for mine
I want to feel a-live
and settle down in my
…Tar Pits (Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)

Where nobody’s dreams
come true… (Pico and Sepulveda, Pico and Sepulveda)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:54 AM

1940 - Olympic looking east at Catalina Street.

USC Digital

USC Digital

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This atmospheric photo posted by Jon Paul was one of a series taken by Herman Schultheis.
Many of these photos epitomize the adjective 'noirish', which didn't exist until this thread.

lapl

Play these images on a loop accompanied by Artie Shaw's "Nightmare" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W59F...feature=fvwrel
....then paste in several unsavory characters and presto you have yourself a 'mini-noir'.

Water & Power

For me the endless patchwork of city lights beyond the observatory are indeed the epitome of "noirish". I would think I could more easily find photos of it, particularly with the old skyline in the back ground (here's a pretty good daytime one). Easy to find modern day shots like this one:

city-data

...but the older ones are elusive. Anyone know of any more around?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus37 View Post
One of the things continually running through my mind when I'm perusing this thread with all the street names and locations is the 1947 song Pico and Sepulveda, written by Jule Styne and Eddie Maxwell, and performed by Freddy Martin (under the pseudonym "Felix Figueroa & His Orchestra").

Click to play (courtesy of Tumblr)

It probably has to do with hearing my dad sing it so many times as we drove around LA on our Summer trips. Maybe if you grew up in the area with all these names as part of your daily vocabulary (and without the parental singing) the connection doesn't happen, but I can't help but wonder how many other folks are familiar with it.

I was disappointed to find so little of interest at the actual intersection of Pico and Sepulveda, but then again, the song does say "where nobody's dreams come true" ...although that may just be referring to the actual tar pits
i have a friend who loved this song...its too catchy for me to like it,i mean im going to hear "pico and sepulveda" for the rest of the day.anyways from what i remember reading in the book "la music history tour" by art fein,the intersection either didnt exsist in 1947 when the song came out,but i dont buy that,anawalt lumber operates at the intersection and next to that is a very nice art deco auto shop,plus the pacific electric met up with the "air line"(i think) there.so maybe art was trying to say that the intersection was "industrial"?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock

Great shots of commercializing Wilshire Boulevard. The house at top is the famous Hancock house at 3189, also seen here: http://wilshireboulevardhouses.blogs...boulevard.html
Second (and just east of the Hancock house) is 3173 Wilshire, lived in in later years by goat-gland doctor Clayton E. Wheeler: http://wilshireboulevardhouses.blogs...e-see-our.html

Third is 3143, built by Berlin (later American) Dye Works exec Morris Kornblum and then lived in from March 1911 to about 1931 by the Charles H Sharps and their daughter and son-in-law, the Everett Seavers. By 1932 it was replaced by a commercial structure including a branch of Seaboard National Bank: http://wilshireboulevardhouses.blogs...e-see-our.html

Fourth is 601 Shatto Place, lived in for many years by Superior Court Judge William Rhodes Hervey and his family. I haven't looked into who might have designed it, but it is similar in design to, among others, the Otis house farther east on Wilshire (one of several posts on it is here). The Herveys left 601 in the late '20s for Los Feliz. Viola Elizabeth Tantum was in residence by 1932, later selling her figs. In the '40s 601 Shatto had become the Glen Brae Sanitarium... not sure what kind of sanitarium it was, but it advertised "Exlnt food."

Interestingly, the famed director Dorothy Arzner spent some of her teenage and early adult years just up the street at 617 Shatto Place.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 24, 2014 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:09 AM

Diana Street

Quote:

From a series chronicling zoning and traffic code violations.
1931 - More of Fourth Street, Vermont, etc. The makings of another slough? Exact address unk.

USC Digital

What is going on with that block? I've wondered before why 4th is so wiggly east of Vermont. That often denotes water when there are no hills around. A rec center, school, etc often ends up on former wetlands too. And then there's phantom Diana Street running half way through the block.:

google maps

The entrance to Diana Street is chained:

gsv

Just curious.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:58 AM

1924 - Cloverfield
Lapl

1946 - Santa Monica Municipal Airport

1956 Bundy Drive and Ocean Park NE view
All Lapl

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:05 AM

6th Street and Shatto Place...noir comes to the judge's neighborhood...

caryl_chessman_1948_bob_jakobs

Caryl Chessman, left, with Detective E.M. "Al" Goossen, Jan. 23, 1948. At the time, Chessman was living at the home on Larga and had been arrested at 6th Street and Shatto Place after a high-speed chase. He was convicted on eight counts of robbery, four counts of kidnapping, two morals charges, one count of attempted robbery, one count of attempted rape and auto theft. He was sentenced to the gas chamber on two counts of kidnapping and was executed in 1960.

Goossen worked many prominent cases of the 1940s and '50s, including the gang slaying of Tony Brancato and Tony Trombino and the murder of Gladys Kern, a real estate agent who was killed while showing a home in Los Feliz. He worked as a private investigator in the San Fernando Valley after retiring from the LAPD.

(Photograph by Bob Jakobsen / Los Angeles Times)
from murderpedia.org

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:09 AM

Quote:

Bit of Sweden (to the left)? Interesting uniforms.

USC Digital

Was "Bit of Sweden" the same "BOS" located at Sunset and Doheny?

http://www.cardcow.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos